Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

External Organs posted:

Dr. Tingle & the Multiverse of Radness

Fixed that for you.

Tingle owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I have no idea what a “Mosou” game is, I was just curious if I needed to get the Hyrule Warriors games to complete my core Zelda Collection.

A musou is strictly a game of battles, you have hero characters who can stride around the battlefields racking up mook kills by the thousands, like every swing of your sword you take out five bokoblins or whatever who are trying to swarm you. There are stronger enemies that take a little to a lot more effort and skill to kill, there are keeps and outposts that you strategically want to attack/defend, and many other objectives to achieve. By gameplay they're not core Zeldas, but Age of Calamity has a lot of story to it as background for the events of Breath of the Wild, they worked closely with the Zelda team at Nintendo.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hyrule Warriors 1 is more like "let's take everything great about Zelda and throw it in a blender and make it a musou" but Age of Calamity is very much a Breath of the Wild-adjacent game.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hyrule Warriors is fun but also a nightmare if you are a completionist because it is Too Much Content. I enjoyed it on the WiiU, rebought it for Switch and needed to stop before I even unlocked all of the characters, much less the weapons and everything else.

Linkle is the greatest Zelda character of all time tho.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

chaosapiant posted:

I have no idea what a “Mosou” game is, I was just curious if I needed to get the Hyrule Warriors games to complete my core Zelda Collection.

I played the demo of Age of Calamity and I'm pretty sure I played Hyrule Warriors a bit at a friend's place once too

As a massive Zelda fan, I was bored out of my mind. It's a completely different kind of game with some Zelda window-dressing thrown on. It's not for everyone. Play the demo first.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedrigall posted:

I played the demo of Age of Calamity and I'm pretty sure I played Hyrule Warriors a bit at a friend's place once too

As a massive Zelda fan, I was bored out of my mind. It's a completely different kind of game with some Zelda window-dressing thrown on. It's not for everyone. Play the demo first.

Definitely. I always recommend checking out the demo because a lot of people like them and they're well made, but they're not for me. That's just me apparently not liking Warriors games, but a big knock against them in particular.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The premise of Age of Calamity is that a small guardian Zelda was experimenting with accidentally gets sent back in time a few months when the Calamity hits and causes everything to go off the rails and play out really differently. And eventually the various Champions from 100 years in the future also get thrown back in time to run around.

Its silly as hell and totally just a 'what if Link and Zelda didn't fail' AU. But it does the smart thing of making Zelda the protagonist while Link gets to be the comic relief with moments of being incredibly badass.

There's a fantastic scene where Zelda is talking about Rudania and in the background you can see a bunch of Hylian soldiers and Gorons cheering on Link as he manages to eat rock roast.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Hedrigall posted:

I’m the same way. A lot of people love them, but it has zero percent of the Zelda content I enjoy and the only connection is purely cosmetic.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's definitely not a "core" Zelda game and it's a different genre of playstyle altogether (though they did do a good job at least making the controls feel somewhat like BotW), but it's a solid game and I do consider the story to be canon just because the Zelda team at Nintendo worked with them on it and signed off on all of the dialogue. Also has some of the best cutscenes in the franchise imo. At least give the demo a try, it'll give you a decent sense of the gameplay and tone of the story.

Zore posted:

There's a fantastic scene where Zelda is talking about Rudania and in the background you can see a bunch of Hylian soldiers and Gorons cheering on Link as he manages to eat rock roast.

This one, in particular, was loving hilarious.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/choku_1226/status/1501131709663744001?s=20&t=zzBfnFkkxrFlPIxjWhmiJQ

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OK, I think I need a bit more explanation here?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did they line up hundreds of swords in the shape of links boyfriend?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hatty posted:

It took me a while to figure out because I assumed I'd missed some secret art area or something at first, but that was my guess.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hatty posted:

That's exactly it- they probably did the cloning glitch and then spent hours making the outline.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

hatty posted:

I only see Revali there though???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cattail Prophet posted:

I only see Revali there though???

No one is falling for them pretending to be mean to each other.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

link is literally incapable of being mean to anyone. short of killing them with swords and magnets. what's he gonna do, close his eyes and then open them really wide

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Being utterly unflappable is the meanest thing you can possibly do to Revali, though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Elden Ring FINALLY got me in the right mindset for BOTW and now I can't choose which one to play but one of them sure is more forgiving / lets me eat a giant steak in the middle of battle :shepface:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kassad posted:

Being utterly unflappable is the meanest thing you can possibly do to Revali, though.

If you're dating a bird person you've got to be open to the idea of being flapped

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

External Organs posted:

Elden Ring FINALLY got me in the right mindset for BOTW and now I can't choose which one to play but one of them sure is more forgiving / lets me eat a giant steak in the middle of battle :shepface:

Do BOTW first because it's going to feel disappointing after Elden Ring.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I hope Nintendo learns some lessons from Elden Ring.
Probably too late for BotW2, but eh, I can dream.

Elden Ring's world is only worse in terms of lack of towns. It actually seems to be inspired by BotW, too, since there are a few things that are pretty much Korok Puzzles. Only instead of Koroks they give you interesting things.

I definitely prefer BotW's soundtrack and art design, but Elden Ring's overall mysterious nature and TONS of useful loot might not be beaten for a while by any other video game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

they have a lot of elements in common but i don't think botw and elden ring have much meaningful overlap in the type of experience they provide

i will still have just as much fun replaying botw (and, hopefully, playing botw2 unless they screw something up) as i did before i played elden ring, one isn't a better version of the other

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There’s a contingent in this thread that wishes botw was more soulslike; ER is not going to make them any less vocal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I will never play Elden Ring unless it has the ability to cook up five big hunks of salt in a pot and eat the result

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you joke but elden ring actually has cooking (and crafting)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Elden Ring and BOTW complement each other very well, not compete. You want to have a relaxing good time exploring and getting into fun hi-jinx? Play BOTW. You want to bathe in the blood of your enemies while you traverse a hellish landscape full of things that want to kill you? Play ER. They both are great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vookatos posted:

I hope Nintendo learns some lessons from Elden Ring.
Probably too late for BotW2, but eh, I can dream.

Elden Ring's world is only worse in terms of lack of towns. It actually seems to be inspired by BotW, too, since there are a few things that are pretty much Korok Puzzles. Only instead of Koroks they give you interesting things.

I definitely prefer BotW's soundtrack and art design, but Elden Ring's overall mysterious nature and TONS of useful loot might not be beaten for a while by any other video game.

Yeah, I was curious if Elden Ring was going to have huge towns with people but From never does that so everything is just a desolate wasteland but it fits the overall theme with what they do. The sheer amount of content in Elden Ring is completely ridiculous and it makes BOTW look bush league, what BOTW did for open world titles, Elden Ring comes in and does it several fold over. I've seen more in 30 hours in Elden Ring than I have in my total 100+ hours of BOTW, and it keeps just churning out new poo poo. BOTW was incredibly impressive, but Elden Ring is loving daunting and there have been times where my mind broke wondering just how god drat big the world is in the game and where the gently caress I had just ended up.

BOTW's music is more enjoyable and the glider is amazing, but the latter would break Elden Ring and isn't even something BOTW came up with or did any better than the Just Cause series but it is missed. The biggest thing for me that BOTW does really well are the shrines and puzzles. Solving those shrines was rewarding and I loved a lot of the puzzles, I haven't found many or any little moments of reprieve like that in Elden Ring where I'm just supposed to think.

They go very hand in hand and are both astounding titles, I just can't see myself going back to BOTW and not feeling like it's just completely anemic with it's lack of enemies, weak selection of weapons, really dull melee combat, terrible bosses and dungeons (save for Hyrule Castle, that owns) and probably the worst of all Zelda storylines. I had all of these complaints with BOTW when first playing through it, but now it's made even worse.

Still though, it's Zelda and I love it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zelda rules
Elden Ring drools

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Exploring a dangerous open world is more fun when the consequences of death are light.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I don't think Zelda should be a Soulslike or not have cooking, but rather take what Elden Ring has done better in terms of exploration. The amount of enemies, bosses and items in ER is staggering. The most unique thing you can find in BotW is a new set of clothing. BotW is fantastic, but it got predictable after a while. You would get either a shrine or Korok for exploring. Truly unique places (like Mount Satori, Eventide Island) are very few.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bongo Bill posted:

Exploring a dangerous open world is more fun when the consequences of death are light.

I wouldn't say BOTW's world is particularly dangerous, but it is nice that death doesn't lead to annoyance which goes for Elden Ring a lot (I definitely think that whole drop your XP on death thing from other Souls games really falls apart in an open world title). The danger of Elden Ring heightens the exploration quite dramatically though, seeing a giant with a huge :fuckoff: bow and arrow that nukes poo poo pull aggro from three miles away and slowly aim at your rear end while you rush him down with your horse hoping to dodge whatever's coming at you is dope as hell. It does lead to a lot of frustration and trial and error.

Vookatos posted:

I don't think Zelda should be a Soulslike or not have cooking, but rather take what Elden Ring has done better in terms of exploration. The amount of enemies, bosses and items in ER is staggering. The most unique thing you can find in BotW is a new set of clothing. BotW is fantastic, but it got predictable after a while. You would get either a shrine or Korok for exploring. Truly unique places (like Mount Satori, Eventide Island) are very few.

Just the enemies alone are so impressive and they just keep introducing new ones.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think a weak point of Elden Ring is actually the weapon variety in play. Which game has more weapons, and more diverse weapons? Well, it’s Elden Ring by a long shot, obviously; From has always been good at making cool, unique weapons, and the game boasts a huge number of very different ones. But the mechanics of BotW drive the player to use every type of weapon in the game, and the mechanics of Elden Ring do the opposite: the player is encouraged to use as few weapons as they can get away with, since they can only afford to upgrade so many.

I’m not saying Elden Ring should have had Breath-style weapon durability (although that would have been hilarious), but the game did make me appreciate anew what Breath’s game designers managed to accomplish with the weapon system in the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Elden ring's scope is ridiculous and impressive definitely but it's understandable why it's so much more filled with... stuff than botw is. ER is their, i dunno, sixth game in this mold? They're shamelessly reusing every single asset they can (as they should) and bit of experience they've gathered about how to make these games along the way and "only" needed to figure out how to fit it all in a huge world. The Zelda team meanwhile was pretty much making it all up from scratch.

And before you say anything yes botw is not the first 3d zelda game either but they intentionally made it pretty much as different as possible from everything that came before so it was still a very fresh start. Botw 2 should probably have a much bigger variety of stuff in it now that they've got the framework down and will have had more time to focus on the smaller things like more weapons and enemies

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Botw question - can anyone give me a hint on where I might find some more interesting armor? Other than the starting armor, all I've got is the heavy knight armor I bought from a town, is there any groovy light armor around anywhere? Just a hint.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

External Organs posted:

Botw question - can anyone give me a hint on where I might find some more interesting armor? Other than the starting armor, all I've got is the heavy knight armor I bought from a town, is there any groovy light armor around anywhere? Just a hint.

Like I assume you mean light armour that looks suitable for combat here in which case the Zora"Water" set is scale and metal and looks pretty good. It's hidden in and around where you'll eventually find some people wanting you to go meet someone. Very good recolouring options. Boots are a bit dumb though so swapping them out is good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

External Organs posted:

Go to Kakariko village and get the stealth armor. If you need cash, sell monster parts and gems. I honestly run around in the stealth armor all the time cause bugs and critters won’t run away from you and you can pick them up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Longest trick shot yet, 3.5km

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1502619947121676291?s=20&t=OQVw_7Vu5fou08DxwkksQg

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

External Organs posted:

Link's look isn't usually particularly "armory" but each of the major towns has a set of armor for sale, with the added bonus of helping with environmental hazards. If you have the DLC, you can hunt down some of the EX armor sets that look neat but aren't upgradable.

There are a few useful sets found in Shrines; the climbing set is definitely clothing-looking and can be accessed pretty early (though one part is behind a Major test of Strength), while the barbarian-style set is in the corners of the map. Also the ancient armor is pretty good but very expensive once you find where you can get it.

The blue champion's tunic is actually the best chest armor, though; clothing items have base defenses of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, and I think it's the only 5 in the game plus it lets you see enemy HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Like I assume you mean light armour that looks suitable for combat here in which case the Zora"Water" set is scale and metal and looks pretty good. It's hidden in and around where you'll eventually find some people wanting you to go meet someone. Very good recolouring options. Boots are a bit dumb though so swapping them out is good.

If I recall correctly this one also gives you a very cool ability that basically lets you bypass like half of Hyrule Castle when you get there