Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

if you have good enough aim to proc outlaw regularly then sloppy pulses are probably wasted on you anyhow. rapid hit is the poor aimer's boon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Does anyone know of a website that keeps up to date information as to what content is available to free players? The official site still makes reference to the tangled shore. I knew the NPE was lacking but not even stating what a player can and can't do on your own official website.

My best friend's decided to try dip his toe again after only dabbling for a few weeks in y1. He remembered he was part way through the campaign on "the water world" and even trying to explain what happend there took far too many words. He's asked for a guide this time round but I haven't the faintest idea what's available to him without asking 20 questions.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

rocket_Magnet posted:

Does anyone know of a website that keeps up to date information as to what content is available to free players? The official site still makes reference to the tangled shore. I knew the NPE was lacking but not even stating what a player can and can't do on your own official website.

My best friend's decided to try dip his toe again after only dabbling for a few weeks in y1. He remembered he was part way through the campaign on "the water world" and even trying to explain what happend there took far too many words. He's asked for a guide this time round but I haven't the faintest idea what's available to him without asking 20 questions.

He can do any of the main playlists (not trials), the first mission of every campaign, all patrol zones, vault of glass is the only raid, and prophecy is the only dungeon iirc. So not much.

Imo the play if you want to get him hooked is run him through prophecy with you and another buddy. Dungeons are the best destiny content.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Prophecy is a good non-matchmade activity for beginners; the mechanics are easy and basically the same for all the major encounters, the loot is good and unique looking, and rainbow road has a great “oh wow” factor the first time you see it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
This is a draft post for the OP
-----------------------------------------------

How to Use Destiny Item Manager
Keep in mind I'm also a novice, so there are probably way better ways of doing things. This is just what I've picked up by fooling around with it.

Inventory Management

• The Basics
    • The main screen you'll interact with is the inventory screen, which is pretty straightforward. Items are grouped by item slot, and divided between vaulted items and equipped items.
    • To move items around, tap on the image of the item and press the button at the bottom to send it where you want: "Equip" puts it in your hands, "Store" will swap it from Vault to your character and vice versa. If you're on PC, you can use the 'p' key to "pull" to your character, or 'v' to vault it
    • You can also tap the + button if you're looking to fill a particular slot, and only items that fit in that slot will be displayed.
    • Use the search bar at the top to narrow things down. The search has an excellent intellitext suggester so look as you type in for things like name:"servant leader" or is:scoutrifle or perkname:demolitionist. On PC any item that doesn't meet all your search terms will be faded out; on mobile, a pop-up will display with a list of items after you hit return.
    • You can do this at almost any time even while on-planet or during most missions. Locked gear quests and similar events might prevent you, the only way to know is try.
    • The tool-tips are handy reminders if you don't know what a particular perk does. Hover over it on PC or tap it in mobile to bring up the tool tip
    • If you have exotics equipped DIM can sometimes have trouble shuffling them around if you're adding another exotic. I try to unequip an exotic if I'm planning on equipping a new one.
    • Often you don't even need to make an empty space to pull from the vault - DIM will automatically shuffle something back when it equips a new item. Watch out if it displays an error though
  • Loadouts
    • Loadouts are collections of items and mods that you can equip as a group, presumably because they act synergistically together. DIM allows you to save this configuration and use one press to equip everything
    • When you create a loadout, select items for each slot. Any slots you leave blank will not change when equip the loadout. This is handy if you have an armor configuration you like, and a separate weapon configuration you like - so you can equip both separately and change one without affecting the other. Ghosts, Ships, Sparrows, and Emblems can also be equipped, so you can have a fleet of Ghosts for different roles like armor farming, glimmer boosting, XP growth, etc.
    • You can also add items to be on your character but unequipped. For example, I could have a grenade build that works with any energy subclass with just a swap of gauntlet items, so I'd have all those gauntlet exotics transferred over too.
    • Finally, you can select Armor Mods. Just select the mods you want (using search terms to find them more easily) and DIM will allocate them automatically. Note that it might fail if there's insufficient space or incorrect energy types, so double-check it worked when you equip it. DIM will give you a status when finished.
    • Be sure to give it a descriptive name and double-check mod placement. If you mess up or want to change things you can edit loadouts later.
    • Once saved, you can hit "Apply" on any given loadout and it will equip it as programmed.
  • Organizer
    • The Organizer tab lets you search through all your different characters for specific items and compare them one-to-one. From there you can then tag items for infusion, destruction, or whatever else you loot-crazed munchkins do with your hoard.
    • Just click on the different categories and work your way down. Guns/Hunter/Titan/Warlock, then whatever submenu, and all the items meeting that category will be listed in a neat organized table
    • From here you can sort, list, lock/unlock, check, apply notes, and otherwise comb through the whole mess that is your inventory.
    • Note that the search bar works here too, so you can use this to filter what you're looking at to simplify things
    • The big hamper for DIM is that Bungie doesn't allow you to delete/shard items using third party apps through the API - for good reason, as it would be easy for someone to grief anyone who got the password or made a malware inventory manager. It sucks that you can't even create a bin or folder for things, but you can use your other character slots for that purpose if you aren't actively playing with them.
  • Armor Optimization
    • This in my opinion is where DIM shines. While in the Loadouts tab, there's another button below Create Loadout labeled "Loadout Optimizer".
    • Your first step is to rank the Attributes from highest to lowest in importance. I play Warlock, so Recovery (my class skill) is usually at the top, and I often make grenade builds so Discipline is usually up there too
    • You can also set minimum or maximum tiers for them, or set them to be ignored entirely. DIM will try to maximize your total tier count while still following your attribute ranking and minimizing wasted stats, so fiddling with these settings can sometimes yield different results. Since a 49 Recovery is no different from a 40 it will favor things that bump another stat higher, though it will highlight stats that are within +5 range for easy stat mod boosting.
    • If there's a particular piece of equipment you want to use, you can Pin that item or, in the case of exotics, select which one you want to tailor the build around.
    • Once you do this a list of armor configurations shows up. We can stop here and set mods manually, but I strongly suggest using the mod finder too.
    • To do this, first decide if you're willing to spend materials to upgrade armor or change its element, and apply the relevant settings. Locking the element will constrain you if any mods you select are element-limited. For example, "Bountiful Wells" will only fit on a Solar piece of armor, and "Ashes to Assets" is limited to Solar Helmets. Similarly, a new piece of armor with great stats might only have 1 energy slot, so it's a good idea to allow upgrading. Legendary Shards will get you up to level 5, Enhancement Cores will get you up to 7, Enhancement Prisms to 9, and Ascendant Shards are needed for Masterworked level 10 armor.
    • You can also select your subclass and configure it in case it has effects on your attributes, like Stasis and the new Void subclass. Eventually Solar and Arc will be like this too.
    • Once done you can save it as a new Loadout (see the loadouts section), equip it directly, or add more stat-boosts. Personally I wait to add stat boosts manually so I can place them where I like.
    • And you're done! Equip your new loadout and swap back and forth quickly and easily!
  • Progress, Vendors, and Records
    • I'll admit I haven't used these as much. I tend to use the Braytech app for tracking Triumphs, Medals, Achievements and the like, and the Destiny Companion app for tracking vendors and acquiring their bounties
    • The main benefit is seeing all items vendors are selling, where Xur is, and what's available for what prices in one single page without having to travel to five different places.
    • Still, I'm sure there's a lot of use to be gleaned from them, so if you don't want to mess with multiple apps definitely use this tool and let me know how to use it more effectively!

So let's walk through an example.
  1. I'm building an Arc Grenade loadout built around Getaway Artist, an exotic that lets you create an upgraded Arc Soul buddy, so I set that first:

2. I also set the subclass to Arc, then look over the different configurations that show up. Notice the arrows under the class item - this tells me DIM has found multiple equivalent options - pretty common for class items since their only stats are from mods you've added. I see some familiar Masterworked armor since my other grenade builds probably share similar stats, but let's add mods.

3. I Lock Element for Masterworked items (don't want to wreck another build!) and set Assume Masterwork to None since I'm not sure I want to invest a bunch of Ascendant Shards for this. DIM assumes an energy level of up to 7 but won't tell you to invest resources unless it's necessary to fit your mod choices
  4. Now I start selecting my mods. I skip the attribute mods and save them for last. Looking at helmet mods, Ashes to Assets "Gain bonus Super energy on grenade kills" seems useful - assuming Arc Soul counts as a grenade kill which it might not. For now I select it twice, and the rest of the mods grey out because there's max two helmet slots for mods.
  5. I then move down the list. Grenade Kickstart for gauntlets, Thermoshock Plating (efficient Season of the Risen mod) for chest, and Bomber for Class item. Nothing really stands out for Legs to me so I leave it empty for now.
  6. Now I get to the special mods - Raids, Charged with Light, Warminds, and Elemental Wells. I don't have anything in mind just yet so let's end here and see how much space I have left. I hit Select Mods to apply my choices and close out the window
  7. My armor choices have changed. Mods are shown where they're placed, and it looks like it's using a bunch of my other gear for the top line. However, notice the following lines show that I can change one of my other helmets' element type to fit the Ashes to Assets I've chosen. #2 and #3 I don't want to mess with since they're already level 8 (and I don't want to waste a prism) but #4 is just an upgrade - that could be an option if I don't like one of the others for some reason.
  8. I also notice that the last slot is open on all items of the first option - not surprising, since I didn't apply any special mods - and I have space on all of them for more. I think I'll add Elemental Wells or Charged with Light to this build. I click Select Mods again and look over my options. Firepower CWL looks good, as does Heal Thyself. Stacks on Stacks can help (at the cost of Recovery) and Supercharged can give more. I also I select mods and look...

9. Crud, I'd have to change the element of my energy 9 chest armor. I take off CWL mods by hitting the x's and look at Elemental Wells instead
  10. Elemental Ordnance, Seeking Wells, and Bountiful Wells look like decent fits. However if I pick three Ordnance then I don't get any options - there's not enough energy. Either I can drop a Grenade Kickstart or some other high cost mod, or I can drop the number - I compromise to two Elemental Ordnance and review my final configuration:

11. Now I can Save my loadout to a particular name, or equip it and try it out to see if I like it.
  12. If I save it as a loadout, I can later Edit it and use the Armor Optimizer again, unpinning anything that isn't working and seeing what that frees up. For now I save it as "Arc Grenade"

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 12, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

xzzy posted:

The worst part of being the new guy on the raid is someone giving a 15 minute explanation of the fight describing a bunch of very important minutiae to a person that has no idea what’s going on. Normalize doing it live, commit to a couple ‘learning wipes’ so the new player can witness the chaos and use it as a teaching experience. The wipes are gonna happen anyways, might as well help build a context for the incoming instructions.

Yesssssss

Give me the super high level objective, some very basic instructions, and then let’s wipe a few times.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Vendors shows you your current rank of Vanguard/Crucible/Gambit and all mods, armour, weapons, bounties and other things available from all the vendors that offer those. You can Xûr's offerings from there, see what mods Banshee and Ada-1 have which is important because Ada-1 now has previously season pass only mods, see what Rahools exchange rates are and the entire current Eververse availability.

It's nice because it puts all of that on a single page.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just need twenty more intel for this next Psi-Ops mission, but I can't get it from anywhere. Crucible, Gambit, Public Events, not even tiny drops from enemies. What the hell gives?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Grimthwacker posted:

I just need twenty more intel for this next Psi-Ops mission, but I can't get it from anywhere. Crucible, Gambit, Public Events, not even tiny drops from enemies. What the hell gives?
You're maxed out at 2000 Intel, delete your stack and you'll earn more

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can either delete the stack or do a psi ops which will 'spend' a chunk unlocking the chest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can any goons speak to the Trials meta so far this weekend? I wanna know what stupid op bullshit to use

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If they could fix the hard freezes on Xbox in PvP that would be loving FANTASTIC.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bust Rodd posted:

Can any goons speak to the Trials meta so far this weekend? I wanna know what stupid op bullshit to use

Main Ingredient seems to be popular.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus loving Christ it’s happened 3 times this morning. What the gently caress.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Jesus loving Christ it’s happened 3 times this morning. What the gently caress.

Hmmm maybe a hard reset/power cycle?? I haven't run in to this personally so hopefully it's just something a reset can resolve

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hmmm maybe a hard reset/power cycle?? I haven't run in to this personally so hopefully it's just something a reset can resolve

It’s a known issue since the launch of Witch Queen. :smith:

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Finally got around to doing Vow with the gang.

Entrance encounter: Seems unnecessarily long. We're all going to be really sick and tired of this in a few weeks, aren't we.
Acquisition: Decent introductory encounter.
Caretaker: Pretty good encounter, but his health seems too low.
Jumping puzzle: Dreadful. After how good the jumping part was in DSC, this one is a disappointment and a massive pain in the rear end.
Exhibition: This is going to break so many pick up groups, holy poo poo. Good encounter, though.
Rhulk: Holy poo poo this encounter is so cool. Probably my favorite boss in the game.

All in all... 9/10 for a first run, will probably be really annoying to farm without a static group though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got the exotic pulse on my first run and a PvP god roll of the legendary pulse. :smug:

20+ runs of VOG and no vex though. :suicide:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Tell me how you missed contest mode Caretaker without telling me you missed contest mode Caretaker. :)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Elerion posted:

:shepicide:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I enjoyed playing one of the weekly campaign missions on matchmade Hero when I had previously only played it on Legendary solo and just blasting through the mission in a matter of minutes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lol caretaker was definitely one of those 'this poo poo is hard on contest but certainly seems like it would be easy on normal mode' encounters. I remember atraks being similar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
checking out shattered throne for the first time. In the rafter room with the ogres and blights, there's an orb you can dunk. Did I miss any dunkables before that?

e: oh i see that's for the wish ender quest

muike fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 13, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muike posted:

checking out shattered throne for the first time. In the rafter room with the ogres and blights, there's an orb you can dunk. Did I miss any dunkables before that?

There are 3 in total, one in the first area and one in the ogre boss fight

I don’t think they do anything any more, they were part of the Wish-Ender quest that was retired when Tangled Shore was removed

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Caretaker is a Mechanics encounter pretending to be a Boss Fight

It's good but it was dumb on contest

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I appreciated the big brain strat of having everyone swap to Outbreak right at the end of contest mode Caretaker since your whole team was gonna be 100% tapped out of purple and probably green ammo by the time they got to final stand.

If I'm being honest I really didn't like the inclusion of these significant final stand sections in Vow's raid encounters. I get what a final stand mechanic is asking of me, but I just... don't like it. It feels cheap to me, that you can display mastery of a provided mechanical challenge and deal enough damage to meet a set DPS requirement overall but then there's this last check to make sure you left a little in the tank and invalidate literally everything you've done before that point if you didn't. It's their game and they can design the fights the way they want but drat, just make the mechanics a bit harder or something if you need a greater challenge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ask me about the time when we got to Oryx's last stand and I went full stupid with my super. Turns out I had ward of dawn and all my bros were inside it doing no damage.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

haveblue posted:

There are 3 in total, one in the first area and one in the ogre boss fight

I don’t think they do anything any more, they were part of the Wish-Ender quest that was retired when Tangled Shore was removed
I don’t think wish-ender was removed. If I read patch notes correctly they just removed/changed the tangled shore part of the quest.

xzzy posted:

Ask me about the time when we got to Oryx's last stand and I went full stupid with my super. Turns out I had ward of dawn and all my bros were inside it doing no damage.
Me last night using Divinity on Rhulk: I’m gonna nova bomb him at start of damage phase. … oh no I am still on nova warp from exhibition so I guess I’m gonna be a useless purple not-divinity-user for the rest of this phase. Guess we’re 3-phasing, boys!

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

For voidlocks is the weakening from echo of undermining worth the -20 discipline hit? I don't have that much high stat armour, so without it I can jiggle some mods around to end up 50:100:100 for resilience:recovery:discipline

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I think the weaken grenade fragment is bad for most content, since most things you grenade will be dead or close enough that 15% weaken doesn’t matter. It will be good for sublight content like GMs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Rank 30 for Throne World rep and still only 2/3 for the forensic nightmare pattern.

I've fully masterworked the seasonal exotic SMG in the meantime so don't really need forensic nightmare anymore anyway.

Game design!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Organizer
The Organizer tab lets you search through all your different characters for specific items and compare them one-to-one. From there you can then tag items for infusion, destruction, or whatever else you loot-crazed munchkins do with your hoard.

Once you tag an item, what do you do from there? Can you see the tags in-game somehow?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hey I found out something about the psionic message triumph for Vox:

it's tracked per character

so that's probably why people aren't seeing the number go up or having it go up weird or even go down!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Potsticker posted:

Once you tag an item, what do you do from there? Can you see the tags in-game somehow?

You can’t see it in-game but it makes management easier since you can filter on them. I didn’t read the whole DIM post but filtering is where it shines for me. The tagging lets me decide what to trash while at a computer, then next time I have the game fired up it’s as simple as filtering on tag:junk and dismantling everything that shows up.

For me, something having a tag means I’ve thought about an item so I don’t need to keep revisiting it/spending cycles thinking about it. Works especially well from the compare function.
Like if I have six of something, hit compare (old timey balance scale icon). All six show up in a row where you can sort by stats and directly compare them. Down in that row I’ll tag keepers and junk the rest.

On the other hand, you can filter on tag:none to see everything you haven’t tagged. I use tag:none and is:new constantly now just to manage the influx of trash.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

uwaeve posted:

next time I have the game fired up it’s as simple as filtering on tag:junk and dismantling everything that shows up.

Okay, this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!
I had tried tagging stuff in DIM before and couldn't figure out how to figure out what had been tagged.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Potsticker posted:

Okay, this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!
I had tried tagging stuff in DIM before and couldn't figure out how to figure out what had been tagged.

It’s worth hitting the help icon in the search bar and just scrolling through the examples. It’s overwhelming at first but your searches will get more complex (and helpful) as time goes on.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Was the DIM post helpful and clear overall? I didn't know if the example was a good addition or just a distraction

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

uwaeve posted:

It’s worth hitting the help icon in the search bar and just scrolling through the examples. It’s overwhelming at first but your searches will get more complex (and helpful) as time goes on.

Well now I feel less certain than I was. Are we talking about filtering via tag in-game? If I still need to locate the item in-game myself based on it's name/icon/stats to figure which one it is, that's way less helpful than I was imagining, because then I'm doing the work I don't want to do (identifying the item) twice.

It's fine if that's how it works and it's not as useful to me, I just want to be clear on what's being done in DIM and what's being done in-game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DarkHorse posted:

Was the DIM post helpful and clear overall? I didn't know if the example was a good addition or just a distraction

I thought it was useful thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Well now I feel less certain than I was. Are we talking about filtering via tag in-game? If I still need to locate the item in-game myself based on it's name/icon/stats to figure which one it is, that's way less helpful than I was imagining, because then I'm doing the work I don't want to do (identifying the item) twice.

It's fine if that's how it works and it's not as useful to me, I just want to be clear on what's being done in DIM and what's being done in-game.
You search tag:junk in DIM and they light up, then you drag them to inventory*, then go ingame and dismantle everything that just showed up. Presumably the things you are using and had there from before are locked so you don’t dismantle them by mistake.

*You can also use a DIM function to pull all items in a search to inventory but I always just drag them 1 by 1, it’s quick.