Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

wrong, it's because they're neoliberals who have always loved nazis

neolibs will love Nazis or anything else that supports the institutions they are horny for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Despera posted:

Putin is soo anti nazi he personally gave a self confessed neo nazi both the Order of Courage and the title of Hero of the Russian Federation.

Does he have a donation link in dnd?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Despera posted:

Putin is soo anti nazi he personally gave a self confessed neo nazi both the Order of Courage and the title of Hero of the Russian Federation.

Putin sounds like a very tolerant man

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

It's a fig leaf justification in the same way Iraq getting WMDs was.

These aren't even remotely the same thing.

I think invading was wrong because of the damage to ordinary people, but I think Russia would have been entirely justified in increasing attempts to replace Ukrainian government leadership (just ones that don't involve firing artillery into cities). You can't just ignore the reality that Ukrainian politics have been successfully manipulated by NATO, a dramatically more powerful and harmful "faction" than Russia (literally anything Russia has done, the US/Nato have done far worse, to an extent where a comparison doesn't even really make sense). The fact that this manipulation involved the support of literal Nazi elements within the country (in the form of Ukrainian nationalists) just makes the situation even worse.

I think that's the thing that bugs me about how people are discussing this stuff. The Ukrainian government and military are really bad people. Ukrainian nationalists are guilty of great crimes against regular people. They are not synonymous with "the people of Ukraine." Hell, this is the whole reason why Russia's actions are wrong! They're effectively applying a sort of collective punishment to Ukraine. So the answer certainly isn't to root for the undemocratic government backed by NATO. The people guiding the response to Russia are horrible and have absolutely murdered a huge number of civilians as well.

The only response worth supporting is actions that help civilians/refugees. The Ukrainian "defense" does not do this. If anything, they've been shown to purposefully exacerbate the situation through forcing fighting in urban areas (because that's what fascists do - they see glory in death and are happy forcing other people to accept this "glory").

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

one hell of a client state China gonna have soon

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think invading was wrong because of the damage to ordinary people, but I think Russia would have been entirely justified in increasing attempts to replace Ukrainian government leadership (just ones that don't involve firing artillery into cities). You can't just ignore the reality that Ukrainian politics have been successfully manipulated by NATO, a dramatically more powerful and harmful "faction" than Russia (literally anything Russia has done, the US/Nato have done far worse, to an extent where a comparison doesn't even really make sense). The fact that this manipulation involved the support of literal Nazi elements within the country (in the form of Ukrainian nationalists) just makes the situation even worse.

I think that's the thing that bugs me about how people are discussing this stuff. The Ukrainian government and military are really bad people. Ukrainian nationalists are guilty of great crimes against regular people. They are not synonymous with "the people of Ukraine." Hell, this is the whole reason why Russia's actions are wrong! They're effectively applying a sort of collective punishment to Ukraine. So the answer certainly isn't to root for the undemocratic government backed by NATO. The people guiding the response to Russia are horrible and have absolutely murdered a huge number of civilians as well.

The only response worth supporting is actions that help civilians/refugees. The Ukrainian "defense" does not do this. If anything, they've been shown to purposefully exacerbate the situation through forcing fighting in urban areas (because that's what fascists do - they see glory in death and are happy forcing other people to accept this "glory").

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

neolibs will love Nazis or anything else that supports the institutions they are horny for

getting all hot under the collar thinking about the IMF crushing a developing nation under debt obligation

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

speng31b posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

Putin sounds like a very tolerant man

a warrior of social justice, even.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

russia is going to have better gaming rigs for decades

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Feral Integral posted:

russia is going to have better gaming rigs for decades

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Catpetter1981 posted:

This is a perfect example of how insanely out-of-touch the Russian regime is with reality. They consider the EU, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, etc. 'countries orchestrated by the US'. I think the regime actually believes the US has client-state levels of control over these nations. It's insane and sadly also indicates that any kind of peaceful co-existence with this regime in the aftermath of the war is going to be a massive pain. It does explain why Putin is always so angry - as in his mind the US isn't just a dominant power, but actually controls most of the world. That people like Schröder can ride the corruption rodeo with these guys, well aware what paranoid poo poo they believe in, boggles the mind.

I assume they're European and are mistakenly convinced that Canada is a real country.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Catpetter1981 posted:

This is a perfect example of how insanely out-of-touch the Russian regime is with reality. They consider the EU, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, etc. 'countries orchestrated by the US'. I think the regime actually believes the US has client-state levels of control over these nations. It's insane and sadly also indicates that any kind of peaceful co-existence with this regime in the aftermath of the war is going to be a massive pain. It does explain why Putin is always so angry - as in his mind the US isn't just a dominant power, but actually controls most of the world. That people like Schröder can ride the corruption rodeo with these guys, well aware what paranoid poo poo they believe in, boggles the mind.

lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Ytlaya posted:

Despite that guy picking the name kissinger, he and many others are incapable of thinking in terms of realpolitik. They cannot see how Russia could be forced to do a bad thing against Ukraine as a result of the US doing good things like letting small states into NATO. Everything experienced and learned through the Cold War does not exist to them. Most of them think that Putin would be too cowardly and Russia too cowardly and inept to keep their nuclear deterrents operable. They don't know poo poo about gently caress and they can't read maps.

They think that what you're saying here is that you think Russia is the good guy and justified and you want to kiss putin on the mouth and kill every single Ukrainian.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I'm going to need an itemized list of bad poo poo done by Azov/Right Sector vs Russians in Crimea/Donbass pre-invasion before I implore the people of Ukraine to cheer on the occupation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

and theyre gonna come crawling back to us once they lose the war right :)

and theyre gonna come crawling back to us once they lose the war right :catstare:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

eXXon posted:

I'm going to need an itemized list of bad poo poo done by Azov/Right Sector vs Russians in Crimea/Donbass pre-invasion before I implore the people of Ukraine to cheer on the occupation
I wouldn't bother, some of them are already doing it without any prodding.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real issue behind the 'we will strike arms shipments' statement is that it highlights the difference between Western and Russian politicians when making these kinds of statements. Every time Biden or Stoltenberg speaks it's to lay out crystal clear lines on what the US/NATO will/will not do (ie. no fighting in Ukraine, defend every inch of NATO soil). Ryabkov says 'arms convoys are legitimate targets' and leaves ambiguous whether he means in Ukraine or in transit to Ukraine. Now obviously Russia isn't going to conduct airstrikes into Poland... but they might. What if they send an Iskander to hit the border point, does that count?

The point is that we make the mistake of providing clarity (to reassure domestic audiences) whereas Russia is quite happy to leave ambiguity over their willingness to escalate open in order to get us to constrain ourselves further.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1502710218412679169

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Sun tzu say Russian to war is unwise, instead be slow

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the ground reporters on my twitter lists are talking about exceptionally heavy fire in the west;

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502717987442286600

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Catpetter1981 posted:

Remember when people cared about Britain? Seems like a long time ago.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ytlaya posted:

Very good post; I agree

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

and theyre gonna come crawling back to us once they lose the war right :)

and theyre gonna come crawling back to us once they lose the war right :catstare:

are yuan a good investment? asking for a friend

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

sigh... I just cant anymore with you spergs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Catpetter1981 posted:

On the ground reporters on my twitter lists are talking about exceptionally heavy fire in the west;

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502717987442286600

i mean he’s already having enough time to tweet about this so I don’t get what his definition of ‘writing this down in history’ is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Catpetter1981 posted:

As an Australian I can confirm we are 100% a client state of the US and have been since World War 2. Recently, after a single conversation with a US General, the current government announced a massive expansion of our armed forces and the purchasing of a bunch of new US tanks to replace our current inventory (which have never been deployed in combat or even outside the country).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Q: And yet, as corrupt as China is, they’ve lifted tens of millions of people out of extreme poverty. Education levels are rising. The Chinese leaders credit themselves with enormous achievements.

A: Who did that? Did the Chinese regime do that? Or Chinese society? Let’s be careful not to allow the Chinese Communists to expropriate, as it were, the hard labor, the entrepreneurialism, the dynamism of millions and millions of people in that society. You know, in the Russian case, Navalny was arrested—

Everyone was going on about Russia the last time this got posted, but holy poo poo. That answer about China, loving incredible.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ytlaya posted:

NATO, a dramatically more powerful and harmful "faction" than Russia (literally anything Russia has done, the US/Nato have done far worse

lol, ok

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Stephen Kotkins books on Stalin are incredible and seminal but holy cow does he have weirdly dumb opinions outside of that

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Endman posted:

As an Australian I can confirm we are 100% a client state of the US and have been since World War 2. Recently, after a single conversation with a US General, the current government announced a massive expansion of our armed forces and the purchasing of a bunch of new US tanks to replace our current inventory (which have never been deployed in combat or even outside the country).

Lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/23/gough-whitlam-1975-coup-ended-australian-independence

Endman
May 18, 2010

Hell yeah baby, it's a CIA nation down under

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh my god

quote:

With Ukraine, we have the assumption that it could be a successful version of Afghanistan, and it wasn’t. It turned out that the Ukrainian people are brave; they are willing to resist and die for their country. Evidently, Putin didn’t believe that. But it turned out that “the television President,” Zelensky, who had a twenty-five-per-cent approval rating before the war—which was fully deserved, because he couldn’t govern—now it turns out that he has a ninety-one-per-cent approval rating. It turned out that he’s got cojones. He’s unbelievably brave. Moreover, having a TV-production company run a country is not a good idea in peacetime, but in wartime, when information war is one of your goals, it’s a fabulous thing to have in place.

The biggest surprise for Putin, of course, was the West. All the nonsense about how the West is decadent, the West is over, the West is in decline, how it’s a multipolar world and the rise of China, et cetera: all of that turned out to be bunk. The courage of the Ukrainian people and the bravery and smarts of the Ukrainian government, and its President, Zelensky, galvanized the West to remember who it was. And that shocked Putin! That’s the miscalculation.

Are we in decline? No. An honorable sacrifice has roused the dormant spirit of white people.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

Stephen Kotkins books on Stalin are incredible and seminal but holy cow does he have weirdly dumb opinions outside of that

as it turns out historians get dumb ideological brains like anyone else even though they ought to have a better perspective on things than most

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Misleading headline claiming Australia was ever independent when it just got passed between UK and US.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ytlaya posted:

Great post.

I was thinking about this a bit. Russia and China have correctly identified Colour Revolutions as intelligence operations and coups to install pro-US governments. Essentially a more sophisticated version of what they used to do in Latin America. The Orange Revolution and then Maidan may as well have been Regime Change Operations, but they had a kinder gentler face.

Colour Revolutions play perfectly to what liberals believe about themselves and the world, and so far as I can tell have widespread support generally and unanimously with the D&D crowd. After all, who doesn’t love freedom, democracy, liberty, and an end to corruption and oppression? It’s a slam dunk way to wage war, you can install Pinochet without the unpleasantness of the army marching on the capital. Instead vibrant young people with English Language signs plea for (Liberal Values) and an end to (Authoritarianism).

Well, could this cut both ways? Instead of Spetsnaz taking airfields, and separatist regions getting tanks or whatever, could Colour Revolutions or something like them be a viable way to oppose US hegemony?

Idk, a Corn Poppy Revolution in Poland that promises to get rid of those hardline social policies from the past 10 years, increase women’s rights, include BIPOC in Polish society, promote pluralism …and leave NATO. A Tulip Revolution in Hungary that says enough is enough! Orban is racist, homophobic and has severely infringed on civil liberties. The Hungarian people want to be free to live their lives, celebrate a multicultural and diverse society…and leave NATO.

Is that possible?

I guess what I’m asking is: How do Colour Revolutions work, and is there any particular reason Russia and China can’t do them too?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

thank you for agreeing with a good opinion

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1502803862683627521

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Despera posted:

Putin isn't anti Nazi

Ukraine is full of Nazis though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Great post.

I was thinking about this a bit. Russia and China have correctly identified Colour Revolutions as intelligence operations and coups to install pro-US governments. Essentially a more sophisticated version of what they used to do in Latin America. The Orange Revolution and then Maidan may as well have been Regime Change Operations, but they had a kinder gentler face.

Colour Revolutions play perfectly to what liberals believe about themselves and the world, and so far as I can tell have widespread support generally and unanimously with the D&D crowd. After all, who doesn’t love freedom, democracy, liberty, and an end to corruption and oppression? It’s a slam dunk way to wage war, you can install Pinochet without the unpleasantness of the army marching on the capital. Instead vibrant young people with English Language signs plea for (Liberal Values) and an end to (Authoritarianism).

Well, could this cut both ways? Instead of Spetsnaz taking airfields, and separatist regions getting tanks or whatever, could Colour Revolutions or something like them be a viable way to oppose US hegemony?

Idk, a Corn Poppy Revolution in Poland that promises to get rid of those hardline social policies from the past 10 years, increase women’s rights, include BIPOC in Polish society, promote pluralism …and leave NATO. A Tulip Revolution in Hungary that says enough is enough! Orban is racist, homophobic and has severely infringed on civil liberties. The Hungarian people want to be free to live their lives, celebrate a multicultural and diverse society…and leave NATO.

Is that possible?

I guess what I’m asking is: How do Colour Revolutions work, and is there any particular reason Russia and China can’t do them too?

This was a good primer on color revolutions for me

.https://nonsite.org/change-agent-gene-sharps-neoliberal-nonviolence-part-one/