Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Factory Funner and Ghosts of Christmas have shown up...
... at retailers (instead of my mailbox) selling for less than it cost me to pledge for them :goleft:

Where are you? I’m in the states and got mine like a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, but so am I, and still no game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Launching this week!

Tamashii: Chronicle of Ascend - By Awaken Realms Lite, of Nemesis fame, so has the potential to be a very big campaign. Ghost in the Shell + Cyberpunk 2077 + Hex grid movement + the sexiest hackers you've ever seen
Oak - A Druidic worker placement + hand management plan. Looks pretty cool, and is looking at an Oct 22 release - so there are no stretch goals
Pathways - a 2 player dexterity game. Flick little pucks to create a path to your opponent. Could have my interest if the price is right :nyoron:
Quodd Heroes - Cubitos 2.0, by the same designer.
Iconoclash - Super Smash Bros, but it's an Anime Card Game
Fueds & Favors - Medieval card battler in a little box. Could be a good cheap pickup if you're in the market.
Ryozen - Think I mentioned this one previously, and felt it was similar in scope to Buru
Cthulu Island - Is meant to be this week as well. You'll know it's out because it'll be instantly backed for a million because everyone just can't have enough Cthulu mini poo poo apparently

BoardGameTables are also launching a 3 way campaign for some reprints of the following older games:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/200853/habitats
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/358501/9-lives
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/358812/basketboss

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Launching this week!

Tamashii: Chronicle of Ascend - By Awaken Realms Lite, of Nemesis fame, so has the potential to be a very big campaign. Ghost in the Shell + Cyberpunk 2077 + Hex grid movement + the sexiest hackers you've ever seen

Or as the project preview had it: a title, cover art, and a pre-render of a titty mini. It's never going to fail, but I wish to God it would.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Awaken Realms Lite is still Awaken Realms, but they've made it a separate imprint for a reason, I think it may be separate designers, and Lite is more of Flick of Faith and Knockdown fame. I.e., not famous. And up until this point, much, much smaller campaigns. Knockdown made maybe 60k euros, SiegeStorm like 160k.

Tamashii has awesome art and an interesting premise, so it's possible it will be closer to the core Awaken Realms level of success but I suspect it's still not going to be as complex, robust and satisfying and I for one will need to see some gameplay before I consider it, whereas mainline AR stuff is 95% autoback for me these days.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’m really on the fence on Tamashii. I have everything else AR and love the art style and theme for it. The price isn’t terrible especially for an AR game. The gameplay just seems really iffy though. Video play throughs they’ve shown are pretty rough. They need some more in depth play through with better rule details in the campaign. Right now I’m not planning to back it.

I think calling that a titty mini is a little over the top though. It’s a feminine figure in a tank top, jacket and yoga pants. I see a dozen people dressed like that every day a work. The masculine figures are just as or even more sexualized. It’s pretty bland as far as cyberpunk artwork goes. It’s definitely nothing like the bad game or even the majority of the most popular MMF Tribes. I’m all for naming and shaming gross companies and artists in the industry but this does even come close.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 13, 2022

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Oof, bad combo. BoardGameTables are the recently mentioned "games showing up in retail before backers get them, and for cheaper" company, and Corne van Moorsel, the designer of two of those games being reprinted, is an anti-vaxx, plandemic dipshit.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Infinitum posted:

Cthulu Island - Is meant to be this week as well. You'll know it's out because it'll be instantly backed for a million because everyone just can't have enough Cthulu mini poo poo apparently

Jurassic Park but with great old ones? SCP foundation but its a zoo? Could be fascinating if done right (it won't be).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawlicaust posted:

I think calling that a titty mini is a little over the top though. It’s a feminine figure in a tank top, jacket and yoga pants.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same mini here. I'm talking about the girl with the laptop and the open jacket that as far as I could tell, she was wearing nothing beneath.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same mini here. I'm talking about the girl with the laptop and the open jacket that as far as I could tell, she was wearing nothing beneath.

Nah, she's got a shirt on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

For some definitions of “shirt”

Hint, usually clothed breasts don’t have that kind of definition outside of wet T shirt contests.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 14, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To be fair the other standees/minis look really good and aren't really gross.

I also appreciate that the minis are an addon which helps keep the cost down, and doesn't create needless excess plastic

Breaking my ankles to keep my feet perfectly flat with the floor and dislocating my legs from their hips sockets to sexily hack on the floor while doing my best Basic Instinct crotch shot pose

Sexily hacking on top of a broken brick wall with one hand, raising my leg in an alluring sultry way - all while wearing my Unicorn hoodie (teehee gamers only)

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 14, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*breaks every bone in my body, while showing off tasteful underboob*
"I'm in"

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

What the hell do you even do in tamashii? Cause I don't see the point of the game...just art. Its like a pseudo rpg thing?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Gameko posted:

What the hell do you even do in tamashii? Cause I don't see the point of the game...just art. Its like a pseudo rpg thing?

There's definitely a game there but it looks way over complicated. There's a really general narrative for each scenario and then some overarching plot. There's combat which does not look very good: a lot of different resources/ability charges which could probably by simplified. Feels like a poo poo-ton of tokens and counters on everything. There's a lot of videos out of it.

It just looks really fiddly and like it has too much going on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The marketing is there to sell some minis and some artwork

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gameko posted:

This describes every Awakened Realms game

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The marketing is there to sell some minis and some artwork

This too

I’ll give them props for Hellas being an alright game, but everything else has looked like the most procedurally generated KS garbage.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

To be fair the other standees/minis look really good and aren't really gross.

I also appreciate that the minis are an addon which helps keep the cost down, and doesn't create needless excess plastic

Breaking my ankles to keep my feet perfectly flat with the floor and dislocating my legs from their hips sockets to sexily hack on the floor while doing my best Basic Instinct crotch shot pose

Sexily hacking on top of a broken brick wall with one hand, raising my leg in an alluring sultry way - all while wearing my Unicorn hoodie (teehee gamers only)

is this sexy? feels like a bit of a stretch... the only thing that's dumb is the high heels for combat imo

anyway I don't understand why this is AR lite and i'm not really into cyberpunk so I might pass on this. The owl guy is pretty cool though.

i also don't have a cthulhu game despite loving that theme so will probably follow that campaign and see what it's about

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Buy Unfathomable

Bam
You now own an incredible Lovecraft game

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CODChimera posted:

is this sexy? feels like a bit of a stretch... the only thing that's dumb is the high heels for combat imo

anyway I don't understand why this is AR lite and i'm not really into cyberpunk so I might pass on this. The owl guy is pretty cool though.

i also don't have a cthulhu game despite loving that theme so will probably follow that campaign and see what it's about

Yeah, I would agree that it being sexy or a "titty mini". It is weirdly different than the aesthetic of the rest of the characters so I think it's plausible that someone went "we need a 'so random' sexy cyberpunk girl." The mini itself and the standee ended up just being awkward looking though. The squatting pose is dumb and you can just hear someone ready to say '"well ackshually she's a robot so she can bend any way she wants."

I think there are valid reasons to criticize AR, how they make games/run campaigns, and specifically hate on this game because it feels like procedurally generated cyberpunk game with way too much going on. I just don't think those reasons include this specific mini being gross. It's a bad sculp that is pretty comical but a world away from what I think when I think titty mini.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

its an obviously provocative sculpt from the pose to the painted on skin tight t shirt under the jacket that's open just so to expose as much as possible. it doesnt have to be x rated to still laugh at it for being silly

like come on, it's not a stretch to say this is obviously horny bait for all the typical reasons

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 14, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

An envelope from the US to Australia was like $50aud

AUS to US sucks particularly because both Aus and USA taxes it for some reason and then USA just increased the prices for reasons??

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Infinitum posted:

One cheek sneak is the new Cap’n Crunch whistle.

BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAABBBBBBPPPPPT! ‘I’m in.’

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

Return to Dark Tower just arrived and holy gently caress

Yeah, mine got here Friday, with all the miniatures and everything. I set it all up yesterday and we played a first game just now (crossposting a bit from the board games thread)

We played the recommended first starting scenario and figured out some decent combos so it wasn't particulary challenging, but I can see several obvious ways the difficulty could be ramped up, and it was fun in terms of theme and all the components were high quality; overall look and feel of the game was top notch, the game design was solid, etc. It's not Pandemic and it's not Gloomhaven but I think it's going to be a great game for the "invite a couple of friends over for an evening and play something vaguely fantasy-hero themed" space without having to teach the guests how to play Descent or coach them on how to build Gloomhaven characters.

I'd really recommend having at least a small tablet to run the app; trying to run it on a phone would've been fairly annoying.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 14, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just got pre-shipping notification for Dead Reckoning, so should be here by Friday. :slick:

I splurged for everything bar the 2nd expansion.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

16hr warning - Western Legends Big Box
3 day warning - Tang Garden: Seasons

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

CODChimera posted:

is this sexy? feels like a bit of a stretch...

One thing to keep in mind about the way people often present women's bodies and titillation is that there's often an assumption that you'll find something appealing, so no effort is put into actually making it be sexy. It's kind of hard to describe in part because there's that inherent contradiction involved in it, but like... the miniature is not, as such, sexy. It's a very artificially posed piece of plastic. Little work has gone into making it actually sexually appealing: it's the least possible effort: a pin-up pose, high heels, and wet t-shirt. Things you're supposed to like because that's what sexy is. The decision to do all these things, to draw the wet t-shirt, to put her in high heels, to make her post like that, was done to create something that's supposed to be sexually appealing.

The fact it's actually just a piece of plastic that just looks stupid and therefore, to a lot of people, not actually sexy, is besides the point: someone figured they'd present a woman's body for titillation. The fact they failed is immaterial and speaks more to the way in which objectification and sexualization of women's bodies has become rote and suffused into the fabric of our media.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

gschmidl posted:

:smuggo:

e:

Thing on the top is because the insert doesn't fit in the box :wtc: - glad I didn't order one.

The folded space insert includes a separate box for the map tiles. It's a thing they added during the whole broken token debacle because folded space inserts are cheaper than wooden inserts, but the money had already been collected from everyone who backed for an insert. The options were 1) Folded Space, who makes foamcore inserts, and some sort of map tile storage to go with, since the price already paid would be more than necessary for their base insert, or 2) LaserOx, who makes inserts similar to broken token, which as far as I'm aware, does not include any sort of storage for the map tiles (I believe their Gloomhaven box had something, but I'm not seeing it in the pictures on their website of their frosthaven version), or 3) get a refund of your insert money.

Most people as far as I know just keep/kept their gloomhaven maps in like a file folder or something, so an actual box is fine with me. I would just like them to actually start printing the game at some point.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythopoeia/cbr-pnk?ref=thanks-copy

CBR-PNK is an excellent minimalist Forged in the Dark game, and I am pumped to get a glossy physical edition.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that hip. Like, I can get if that was an anatomy draft and they had something covering it so it wasn’t visible, but just look at it! Bone-dragged-from-socket levels of dislocation!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hedningen posted:

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that hip. Like, I can get if that was an anatomy draft and they had something covering it so it wasn’t visible, but just look at it! Bone-dragged-from-socket levels of dislocation!

looks like they just bent the skeleton on its axises and went "good nuff"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CellBlock posted:

The folded space insert includes a separate box for the map tiles. It's a thing they added during the whole broken token debacle because folded space inserts are cheaper than wooden inserts, but the money had already been collected from everyone who backed for an insert. The options were 1) Folded Space, who makes foamcore inserts, and some sort of map tile storage to go with, since the price already paid would be more than necessary for their base insert, or 2) LaserOx, who makes inserts similar to broken token, which as far as I'm aware, does not include any sort of storage for the map tiles (I believe their Gloomhaven box had something, but I'm not seeing it in the pictures on their website of their frosthaven version), or 3) get a refund of your insert money.

Most people as far as I know just keep/kept their gloomhaven maps in like a file folder or something, so an actual box is fine with me. I would just like them to actually start printing the game at some point.
AFAIK, it's being printed now. The rulebook was the big final thing, and suggestions have closed on it. Isaac hasn't said anything one way or another to us, but that's to be expected. I regret not getting an insert with the campaign, since my game ended up getting comp'd.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mantic is releasing an Umbrella Academy Board Game. I loved the comics and those miniatures look fantastic

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/the-umbrella-academy-the-board-game

Anyone got any idea why this is now cancelled? Going to launch another kickstarter or just going to make it a regular production? The post about it is backers only

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LatwPIAT posted:

One thing to keep in mind about the way people often present women's bodies and titillation is that there's often an assumption that you'll find something appealing, so no effort is put into actually making it be sexy. It's kind of hard to describe in part because there's that inherent contradiction involved in it, but like... the miniature is not, as such, sexy. It's a very artificially posed piece of plastic. Little work has gone into making it actually sexually appealing: it's the least possible effort: a pin-up pose, high heels, and wet t-shirt. Things you're supposed to like because that's what sexy is. The decision to do all these things, to draw the wet t-shirt, to put her in high heels, to make her post like that, was done to create something that's supposed to be sexually appealing.

The fact it's actually just a piece of plastic that just looks stupid and therefore, to a lot of people, not actually sexy, is besides the point: someone figured they'd present a woman's body for titillation. The fact they failed is immaterial and speaks more to the way in which objectification and sexualization of women's bodies has become rote and suffused into the fabric of our media.

That's very well put and I will have to paraphrase this post in the future.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone got any idea why this is now cancelled? Going to launch another kickstarter or just going to make it a regular production? The post about it is backers only

They likely set the bar too low for production costs and are only just going to make it over the funding line.

The actual cost is likely like 100k and they set it at 50k, because they were hoping for
A.) Lots of moolah for IP cash-ins
B.) Wanted to post '200% funded in 5min!' type nonsense

Perception of popularity is very much a thing synonymous with KS, and spurs additional backers

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

They likely set the bar too low for production costs and are only just going to make it over the funding line.

The actual cost is likely like 100k and they set it at 50k, because they were hoping for
A.) Lots of moolah for IP cash-ins
B.) Wanted to post '200% funded in 5min!' type nonsense

Perception of popularity is very much a thing synonymous with KS, and spurs additional backers

Among the thousands of other things wrong with KS, it'd be keen if they did something about fake funding goals. But I honestly have no earthly idea how they could do that.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Bottom Liner posted:

For some definitions of “shirt”

Hint, usually clothed breasts don’t have that kind of definition outside of wet T shirt contests.

madam I don't wish to be rude but I'm afraid your boobs are wrinkling

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Infinitum posted:

Launching this week!
Oak - A Druidic worker placement + hand management plan. Looks pretty cool, and is looking at an Oct 22 release - so there are no stretch goals

Just looked at this today and unlike the subject of discussion for the last dozen posts, this game looks gorgeous and the mechanics are very clear. I love that they went for beautiful meeples instead of minis.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lawlicaust posted:

Just looked at this today and unlike the subject of discussion for the last dozen posts, this game looks gorgeous and the mechanics are very clear. I love that they went for beautiful meeples instead of minis.

That you can add a piece to the meeples as they level up or progress or whatever is a really nifty idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cthulhu Island has launched with its minis and its 2 tiers of [1] expensive base game, or [2] all in (yes this is a lot of money).