Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Raenir Salazar posted:

Personally though I wish there was a better magic school of adventure IP so I wouldn't have to think about them; preferably in anime form that I could glom onto instead (no sadly LWA didn't quite for it for me).

Crossing my fingers that Witch Hat Atelier gets an anime then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

harry potter isnt even that good to justify the author being a terf

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

you could always play the disney villain twink magic school gacha instead but that's sort of an out of the pan into the fire type deal considering, you know, disney

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's just weird for me as I never cared for Harry Potter or anything about it, and here comes JK backing her truck full of legit reasons to hate her and her franchise.

I was right before I had any reason to be. Happy accident.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Honestly I don't think it's worth even talking about HP any more, it's not even like it's that good. And it isn't anime!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Harry Pothead and the Philosopher's Stoned

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

whenr moral objections against Disney drive you from TWST to NuCarni

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the young wizards series is harry potter for nerds and anime fans, and also the books are good

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 15, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Engaging with the Wizarding World in any way at this point is at worst a tacit endorsement of Rowling's views and at best a mark of apathy towards the damage she's causing, so who cares if it's good or not.

i don't care about HP in the slightest but i went to Universal Studios last week and had a butterbeer there and it was good. apologies

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

whenr moral objections against Disney drive you from TWST to NuCarni

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leraika posted:

the young wizards series is harry potter for nerds and anime fans, and also the books are good

drat im sold

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is all dangerously close to politics in the chat thread, an offence that deserves the death penalty

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

symbolic posted:

i don't care about HP in the slightest but i went to Universal Studios last week and had a butterbeer there and it was good. apologies

I forgive you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People are allowed to like what they want in adtrw

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we like commenting on what other people like

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

dogsicle posted:

we like commenting on what other people like

No we don’t, how dare you like doing that!

Sumigahara Haseo
Nov 22, 2020

Namtab posted:

I'll hold you up to this when you become mod.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So since it has become the topic, what's a good magic anime then? I've seen LWA and I keep up with Mashle.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I never really liked Harry Potter that much, I saw most of the movies, but wasn't a big crazy Potter fan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They should make a LWA game that's not crap.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

So since it has become the topic, what's a good magic anime then? I've seen LWA and I keep up with Mashle.

Wandering Witch?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Flying Witch

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Witch Hat Atelier

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Witch Craft Works

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ojamajo Doremi

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Witch Hat Atelier

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's a paper anime though

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mahou Tsukai Tai

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kind of surprised there was never a Harry Potter anime or anything. Did it just not take off in Japan?

It seems like by the late 90s, the idea of boarding school magic hijinks was probably old hat to a lot of japanese media consumers so it's not it was something new or exciting.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Given that anime is quite typically made to increase sales of something else, what merit would there be to making an anim of an overseas property

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sumigahara Haseo posted:

I'll hold you up to this when you become mod.

Admins are working their asses off to select a new mod and communicate their progress

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you need a situation where the creator is angling for it themselves like with Deltora Quest

that or spawn an IP big enough that you roll into a Netflix/Amazon/adultswim style deal where they push to have an anime made

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Japan did make their own version of Powerpuff Girls at least (as well as a two part TMNT OVA) and I believe they also made some shows/movies based on western novels

pentyne posted:

Kind of surprised there was never a Harry Potter anime or anything. Did it just not take off in Japan?

It seems like by the late 90s, the idea of boarding school magic hijinks was probably old hat to a lot of japanese media consumers so it's not it was something new or exciting.

I’ve seen it parodied a few times in other anime so the series at least had something of a presence in Japan (not sure how popular it actually was though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Namtab posted:

:stare:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

pentyne posted:

Harry Potter was plenty popular and you see people make HP-themed art of stuff they like all the time to this day. Certain other individuals would be better informed on this than me but I've also been told that it was an influence on 00s isekai/magic school stuff like tsukaima

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Plutonis posted:

Witch Craft Works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-3Fgrn7Rls

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Harry Potter was insanely popular in Japan yeah. The first Harry Potter film is the 6th highest grossing film in Japanese theaters of all time, and was the third highest at the time it came out (only beaten out by Titanic and Spirited Away)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Iruma-kun is basically anime Harry Potter but also much better than that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Iruma-kun is so good. I need to finish last season so I can start reading the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Namtab posted:

This. Moral judgements on people's choice in media consumption are those forums over there.