Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Veotax posted:

No, that's just Archie's story. The western backstory for sonic that was used was that it was a different planet called Mobius inhabited by animals with no humans. Dr Ovi Kintobor, a human scientist who came to the planet somehow, was turned into Dr Ivo Robotnik when an accident during an experiment with the Chaos Emeralds turned him evil. There's other stuff in there, like Sonic being his lab assistant and another lad accident turned him blue (he was a brown hedgehog who was fast before that), but that's pretty much it.

This was in the manuals and on the Sonic website or something until it was eventually abandoned. Only UK tie-in media ever actually used the backstory, Sonic the Comic and some books. For whatever reason all the American stuff just did it's own thing, so there were three different cartoons that all had different backstories and basically nothing to do with the games other than having Sonic and Tails and a completely different looking Robotnik.

For Japan there was barely any backstory I think, just there are some islands with talking animals and no humans I guess. Eggman wasn't the only human on the planet, just some dickhead taking over those islands.

The Kintobor backstory actually did show up in at least one other early piece of North American Sonic media: The 15 page Sonic the Hedgehog Promotional Comic released in 1991. I only know about this because a section of this comic was published in an old issue of Disney Adventures magazine in 1991 that I had a copy of as a kid.

Fun fact: The Kintobor narrative would also be incorporated into the works of notriously bad Sonic the Hedgehog fan artist/writer David Gonterman, who tried to incorporate it into the backstory of the Archie Sonic canon in his fan comics and fiction.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

When I was a child, I was always fascinated with the idea of who built the Marble Zone or who lived in the Starlight Zone. Now, as a man, I know I was a dumb child.

Nah, it doesn't matter if there is or isn't an official explanation for something. It's fun just thinking about this, and it's great when you can enjoy something from a game even when you aren't playing it.

It's why I love ancient history. Since there's stuff we'll just never know without a time machine, you can fill in the details with your imagination. Things like what famous people were really like in person or what it would be like to live in that time.

It's also why I can't stand Wikis. They're just a huge catalogue of facts and not an actual story. Games that use these for storytelling like FFXIII and Destiny instead of an actual narrative are impossible to get attached to.

KingKalamari posted:

I'm going to be honest, I've been kind of fascinated by the type of worldbuilding that could be extrapolated from the original games. Just this weird, nonsense adventure world full of ancient ruins, abstract super-cities and giant expanses of wilderness where you fight robots with magic rocks...

:yeah:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So the best way to play Sonic 1, 2 and CD, are the Christian Whitehead mobile ports, is there a way to play those on PC easily? And once I finish those is there a similar treatment for Sonic 3+k I should get?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

theyre porting those + a new s3&k port to pc and consoles this year through sonic origins which they announced something like ~9 months ago and havent talked about since

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the cd port is already on steam though

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic origins is real

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RodShaft posted:

So the best way to play Sonic 1, 2 and CD, are the Christian Whitehead mobile ports, is there a way to play those on PC easily? And once I finish those is there a similar treatment for Sonic 3+k I should get?

They're going to be part of the Sonic Origins collection in development but literally nothing has been said about it for 10 months now so who knows.

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation

There's this in the meantime. You need to own the Whitehead mobile ports and use files from them to run them, but they work well enough. The Whitehead port of CD is already on Steam. For 3, best bet is to use Sonic 3 A.I.R.

https://sonic3air.org/

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, wait for the Origins collection so there's less hassle. Sonic CD on Steam doesn't have cloud saves so I'm hoping the new collection does.

You can also play 1, 2 and CD for free on mobile but with occasional ads between levels. A phone with a DS4 and an attachment is amazing for games like these and emulation in general.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Of course, we still don’t have a release window for Origins yet as far as I know but regardless it’ll be nice to play those games without having to deal with the mobile controls. Kind of makes me wonder if they plan to add anything to Sonic 3K as well

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I use my phone to play metroidvanias while waiting in the pickup line, I want to play them on PC because I can just sit down and play through each in an evening. But if origins comes out on an actual game system especially switch that would be perfect.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very confused to be learning about this Two Worlds theory that was canon or people thought was canon? Why would there be two worlds that seems silly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are actually three worlds the human world, sonics world and classic sonics world

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Waiting for Origins when the decomp ports can be set up and played in a matter of minutes is a bit silly.

You can also blow up the viewing area and Sonic 1 is a way better game with a larger viewing area. Other than a few oddities of seeing stuff you shouldn't the game looks way better and it fixes a lot of the level design. Sonic 2 breaks if you take it too far, something to do with how it signifies ending levels, and doesn't really need it as much owing to better overall level design.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hmmmm. That sounds fake.

E: Wait i think that's just Sonic X which is clearly non-canon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best way to play classic sonic is amy rose in sonic the hedgehog, sonic 2 pink edition, sonic 3 & amy rose, and sonic cd episode metal featuring amy rose

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
playing Sonic 06 for the amy levels

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Very confused to be learning about this Two Worlds theory that was canon or people thought was canon? Why would there be two worlds that seems silly.

The Two Worlds thing actually comes from a Gameinformer Interview with series producer Takeshi Iizuka. Specifically this bit:

quote:

It used to be that Eggman was the sole human. Starting with Sonic Adventure, we're seeing more and more humans show up in the stories. Where are they all coming from?

Iizuka: The world that Sonic lives in and the world the humans live in are separate worlds. But, some of the canon games do have Sonic and humans together, and part of that is based on what world is being portrayed when the game is developed. There are kind of different worlds that do exist and sometimes there's some crossover.

This became kind of a big topic in the fandom due to how vague the intention of that statement was: Does this mean Sonic is travelling between a human planet and a manimal planet like in Sonic X? Or just that humans and manimals have distinct, separate societies on the same planet that tend not to overlap? Not helping matters was the fact that Sega has always been notoriously vague about going into specifics about Sonic's world, and different people associated with the franchise have given different explanations for what there being "two worlds" means. When asked, Sonic PR manager Aaron Webber has said that the two planets interpretation is the correct one to the best of his understanding, while former SEGA Europe community manager Kevin Eva believes the single planet version to be true.

Even Ian Flynn has been inconsistent on the specifics, in some sources confirming the two worlds theory as official internal policy and in others refuting it. I believe in his most recent statement he basically just said "Look, it's complicated, don't worry about it". My own impression is that Sega and Sonic Team don't actually have a consistent, internal explanation for what the hell is up with Sonic's world and how it relates to the human characters, and all the production staff have their own ideas for how it's supposed to work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Information that comes from anything other than the games themselves are fake tbh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the information from the games themselves is fake too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No those are real.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what happened to the hole in the moon

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
actually everything is canon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Augus posted:

Well if there's no hole now then it means it musta got fixed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Sonic X Eggman repaired it by building a mechanical shell over the broken half, in the games who knows.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they used the dragon balls to wish it back

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

sonic matters.

Blue Lives Matter

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the moon was damaged in the human world not sonic's world where it is still intact

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Since we're talking about the best way to play classic Sonic games: Is there any good way to play the old Sonic Advance games these days?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
eclipse canon

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

It rotated so the intact side is facing the earth

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

Since we're talking about the best way to play classic Sonic games: Is there any good way to play the old Sonic Advance games these days?

The 3DS store has the Advance games, otherwise they haven't been re-released so pick an emulator and off you go.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

still just emulation unfortunately

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The 3DS store has the Advance games, otherwise they haven't been re-released so pick an emulator and off you go.

Wasn’t the 3DS store going to be shut down at some point in the near future though (if it hasn’t already)?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
just emulate sonic sega doesnt care

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t the 3DS store going to be shut down at some point in the near future though (if it hasn’t already)?

they're not on the 3ds store but they are on the jp wii u store, which is in a similar situation

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Augus posted:

gravity

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hydrostatic equilibrium

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it