Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The United States posted:

Yeah but there's also 40 years of batman villains to pull from and you can change whatever you want about them anyway so who cares that Rhas Al Ghoul is now some Irish dude or that Bane is a Brit bodybuilder who wears a mask to deliver himself nitrogen gas like a perpetually high dental patient or that Joker killed batman's parents

They don't create original characters for the movies because that's exactly what the comic books are for. The comic books exist as 'story and character mines' for tv shows, movies, and other media. There's a reason why WB and Disney keep DC and Marvel comics around. Comic books themselves are a tiny slice of their business and generally speaking, they don't sell large amounts. But they DO generate ideas that they can spin into billion dollar movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The villains origins and gimmicks change over the decades in the comics too so I don’t see the issue with doing it for movies.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
DC can't do Dr. Strange, because audiences would go, wait isn't he the magic guy with the cape from the Avengers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should do blight as a villain but he’s melting from the inside out like on Chernobyl and wears a green shirt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The most baller move would be to have him fighting the Predator in the next one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Start it out with Joker gettin wheeled out of Arkham in a straight jacket as he is released on a technicality. he does a 5+ minute monologue about all of the crazy poo poo he is going to do and starts laughing uncontrollably. Just then three red dots appear on his forehead...*bloosh* his head blows up. Pan up to the sky and we see the bat signal, obscured by the predator in active camouflage. Then the Predator eventually kills batman and steals the batmobile and uses it to run people over.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Batman story where Clayface just trolls him, knowing his thing about killing. He goes to fight him in the opening, due to Clayface's gooey nature Batman's fist goes right through his head - and instead of pulling it together Basil just falls over. Batman spends the entire funeral freaking out "Oh poo poo, I didn't know he'd be THAT fragile..." and as that's going on Karlo just oozes out of his casket unnoticed by anyone and reconstitutes into a whole new person which he uses to just rub it in. Maybe by going on the news and doing pieces about Batman's murder and poo poo, and while that's happening Alfred notices something unusual that tips batman off to Basil's true nature (maybe some residue on his glove from the punch that Bruce is in the wrong mindset to notice due to thinking he just killed a dude) and so he gets back on the case with renewed vigour.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just want to see Clayface losing his poo poo like he did on BTAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8xyGf7w0

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
https://youtu.be/dD_imcfd76Y

Most underrated Batman performance

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Of course, we all know which version of Clayface should really feature in the next movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjydt3AcaLQ

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Ccs posted:

Wait, what are people seeing in Batman v Superman? That's an almost unwatchable movie.

Extended cut is pretty great unless your big issue was that Batman killed people in the movie. The time is used to give Clark and Lois things to do, while making Luther’s plan make sense.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

live with fruit posted:

Batfleck is sentencing criminals to death and trying to kill Superman. Battinson's deep end is lot shallower.

In the extended cut it’s shown that Lex is orchestrating the killing of branded people to get Clark going against Batman.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I just want to see Clayface losing his poo poo like he did on BTAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8xyGf7w0

That scene is incredible with the combination of music and animation. It’s some of the best out there and a good example of why BTAS is a classic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really want to watch the Hank Caville Supez one day because I just love him, he’s such a beefcake, but I am physically repulsed by the Ben Affleck Batman and thought he was unquestionably the weak link/worst part of The Snyder Cut (a film I genuinely enjoyed!)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm just gonna come out and say it was a big mistake to build a cinematic universe around the older, "been there done that" worn down version of Batman. It was such a limiting choice and meant they didn't really have any choice but to make any future Batman films take place in their own universe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It was a big mistake to get fixated on building cinematic universes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bust Rodd posted:

I really want to watch the Hank Caville Supez one day because I just love him, he’s such a beefcake, but I am physically repulsed by the Ben Affleck Batman and thought he was unquestionably the weak link/worst part of The Snyder Cut (a film I genuinely enjoyed!)

You might actually enjoy him in BvS because he hasn't gone through the arc that turned him into the Batman from the Snyder Cut, if that helps.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ghostwritingduck posted:

In the extended cut it’s shown that Lex is orchestrating the killing of branded people to get Clark going against Batman.

They shouldn't have cut that out of the version they put in theaters.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stev posted:

I'm just gonna come out and say it was a big mistake to build a cinematic universe around the older, "been there done that" worn down version of Batman. It was such a limiting choice and meant they didn't really have any choice but to make any future Batman films take place in their own universe.

The mistake was butchering the movie where it turns out that Batman is completely revitalized by his commitment to honour Superman's memory, resulting in a normal Batman played by a 49-year old (like every action hero these days is, though)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

stev posted:

According to who? WB was literally about to put Keaton Batman in charge of the justice league with flashpoint. But the merger maybe have reversed that, hence the delay.

And let's not act like Batman beyond wouldn't have ripped under Snyder's watch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ben Affleck is one of the best Bruce Waynes / Batmans we've had in ages and crushes Bale's in his limited scenes. He's a broken man after fighting crime for all these years e: and also getting 9/11 brain after seeing Superman arrive on Earth.

Like, this scene is loving incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixaEnZHtH8

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 29, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Ben Affleck is one of the best Bruce Waynes / Batmans we've had in ages and crushes Bale's in his limited scenes. He's a broken man after fighting crime for all these years e: and also getting 9/11 brain after seeing Superman arrive on Earth.

Depends on what you're looking for in a Batman. Bale's is more like Pattinson or maybe Keaton in their greenness while Affleck is older and a different, more cynical, point in his career.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jeremy Irons is great

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

massive spider posted:

It was a big mistake to get fixated on building cinematic universes.

Totally agree.

Even though Marvel did a really good job with it, it messed DC all up trying to play catch up and follow that model. Kinda hosed up Marvel's Netflix series too which gave us The Defenders. I like some of the DC films but the ones that are less concerned with cross overs work much better IMO (MoS, Aquaman, WW and obviously TDK trilogy)

Even Marvel kind of backed themselves into a corner and had to go the time travel/retcon/magic route and I think it's leading to diminishing returns; obviously not from the box office but just in my overall enjoyment. If I'm watching a Dr. Stange movie, Daredevil, WW or Aquaman, I don't always need to be asking "where's Poochie?" and worrying about how the continuity works or intertwines.

It drags down and complicates the comics the same way it does the movies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Even Marvel kind of backed themselves into a corner and had to go the time travel/retcon/magic route and I think it's leading to diminishing returns; obviously not from the box office but just in my overall enjoyment. If I'm watching a Dr. Stange movie, Daredevil, WW or Aquaman, I don't always need to be asking "where's Poochie?" and worrying about how the continuity works or intertwines.

It drags down and complicates the comics the same way it does the movies.

Is this really a thing though? The president was going to be assassinated on TV in Iron Man 3 and the only Avengers to show up were Tony and Rhodey and not in costume. They also lampshade it in Ant-Man when Scott says they should call the Avengers and both those movies are pretty old. At this point, you're either on board with the fact that it's all one big series or you're not but it's hardly fading.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

live with fruit posted:

Is this really a thing though? The president was going to be assassinated on TV in Iron Man 3 and the only Avengers to show up were Tony and Rhodey and not in costume. They also lampshade it in Ant-Man when Scott says they should call the Avengers and both those movies are pretty old. At this point, you're either on board with the fact that it's all one big series or you're not but it's hardly fading.

Oh, I know. I just meant my own interest in it is fading. Obviously whatever they're doing is kicking much rear end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

Jeremy Irons is great

imo the biggest loss in all that. batfleck was a great look and cavill was very likeable as superman, but irons is such a good alfred he overshadowed michael caine

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DeimosRising posted:

imo the biggest loss in all that. batfleck was a great look and cavill was very likeable as superman, but irons is such a good alfred he overshadowed michael caine

I quite like Serkis' Alfred, which I wasn't expecting.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I enjoyed The Batman, but seeing Jeremy Irons reminds me how weak Alfred was in it. He’s easily the worst version.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ghostwritingduck posted:

Extended cut is pretty great unless your big issue was that Batman killed people in the movie. The time is used to give Clark and Lois things to do, while making Luther’s plan make sense.

the BvS extended cut is better but it still ends with them punching a big dumb CGI thing for 30 minutes, just awful (though tbf this is also a problem in several comic book movies)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

the BvS extended cut is better but it still ends with them punching a big dumb CGI thing for 30 minutes, just awful (though tbf this is also a problem in several comic book movies)
CGI is cool tbh. But there's a difference between "fighting a CGI thing with actual stakes and danger" vs. "effortlessly destroying a bunch of CGI drones for 15 minutes"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Trinity fight is like the best thing in the movie

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ghostwritingduck posted:

I enjoyed The Batman, but seeing Jeremy Irons reminds me how weak Alfred was in it. He’s easily the worst version.

Are you related to Michael Gough?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Serkis just comes off as a less believable version of the kind of "SAS Tom Wayne's fixer" Alfred that Sean Pertwee played in Gotham. I like Andy Serkis but c'mon he was Gollum he's too silly for this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just don't buy Bruce being a dick to Alfred at a point in their journey where he's raised him for at least a decade, helped him in some way start off on the path to being a vigilante, and then helped him set up being Batman with the costume and cave and everything and is providing active investigative support.

Their relationship is too established and close at that point. He's not shouting 'you're not my real dad' at him. He can do that when he's 12.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I just don't buy Bruce being a dick to Alfred at a point in their journey where he's raised him for at least a decade, helped him in some way start off on the path to being a vigilante, and then helped him set up being Batman with the costume and cave and everything and is providing active investigative support.

Their relationship is too established and close at that point. He's not shouting 'you're not my real dad' at him. He can do that when he's 12.

Yes, Bruce is a childish baby in this movie.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

live with fruit posted:

Yes, Bruce is a childish baby in this movie.

He can be a childish baby and that's fine because the guy who chooses to be Batman is not an emotionally well adjuster person. It's just this this is not the point in their journey where Bruce and Alfred have a chat about whether Thomas Wayne considered him part of the family.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

He can be a childish baby and that's fine because the guy who chooses to be Batman is not an emotionally well adjuster person. It's just this this is not the point in their journey where Bruce and Alfred have a chat about whether Thomas Wayne considered him part of the family.

I imagine a serial killer leaving you love notes at his crime scenes can be pretty stressful.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alchenar posted:

A wealthy person who always gets his way may act exactly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alfred is Bruces employee, even though he raised Bruce there’s still a power dynamic there.

The impression I got from their relationship is of a guy who raised Bruce out of duty but wasn’t great at the whole being a father figure thing. Bruce is obviously fond of him but neither is good at warmth. This is as plausible a relationship as the more common “Alfred is like a surrogate father” one.