Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Srice posted:

Also he's able to conduct himself in public in a way that is acceptable to people whose main objection to Trump was his aesthetics. That's another factor that definitely shouldn't be underestimated.
Yes a lot of the moderate suburban voters who turned against Trump because he was so publicly disgusting would not have to worry about that with DeSantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Medullah posted:

I've mostly moved away from following politics for my mental health, but I happened to see this on Twitter and was literally screaming at my screen "HOW CAN ANYONE SUPPORT THIS GUY". We've become such a cartoon of hypocrisy since 2016.

Pretty much the same for me too. I can't follow politics much any more because on one side you have a 'team' that wants to do some sort of governance that I don't mostly agree with but they at least try, and on the other side you have a 'team' that is more interested in sticking pointy sticks in their ears and throwing gasoline around before bitching that shits all hosed up.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Personally I think DeSantis is way more dangerous than Trump

He mostly avoids personally getting involved in controversial issues and leaves it to underlings. But he’s been able to accomplish most of his goals here in FL. The courts have blocked some of it, but a lot of it succeeded.

It mostly depends on who he's up against. The decorum-masked charisma black hole can only really thrive in a charismaless environment, but tends to fold immediately when faced with an opponent with any kind of personality(even if that personality is just "horrible little goblin")

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm definitely worried about DeSantis. Going up against Disney for Getting Too Woke is total catnip for boomers, and he's good at throwing a bone to the alt-right just enough without totally debasing himself publicly. He's not quite shameless enough to go full Trump, but I'm not sure people want or need Full Trump anymore. He already got the ball rolling and I think DeSantis just might be able to run with it, saying just enough to imply he's Trump 2.0 without actually saying everything out loud.

I'm still kind of torn on whether he or Trump would be worse news for Biden in 2024. Trump would be worse for our country overall, probably, but it's still really hard to gauge whether the stink of 1/6 will hurt him. Despite their shameful reluctance to fully acknowledge what he did there, I do think deep down a lot of traditionalists still hold that against him.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 30, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes a lot of the moderate suburban voters who turned against Trump because he was so publicly disgusting would not have to worry about that with DeSantis
That's definitely true, but there are also definitely a lot of marginal "culturally conservative" voters who found Trump exciting and would just see DeSantis as another boring politician not worth wasting part of your Tuesday for. Either could win or lose. There's also the interesting question of, if Trump isn't the candidate, will he be able to keep himself from saying things (either negative or "supportive") that hurt the actual candidate?

Honestly the GOP is in a really tough spot here and I don't envy them. And after two years of Republicans reminding people of what they do when they have some power (and Rick Scott has helpfully laid out their priorities) they are not going to be in as advantageous of a spot as they are this year, and I think that in either case Trump is going to be more of a liability for them than an asset.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm definitely worried about DeSantis. Going up against Disney for Getting Too Woke is total catnip for boomers, and he's good at throwing a bone to the alt-right just enough without totally debasing himself publicly. He's not quite shameless enough to go full Trump, but I'm not sure people want or need Full Trump anymore. He already got the ball rolling and I think DeSantis just might be able to run with it, saying just enough to imply he's Trump 2.0 without actually saying everything out loud.

I'm still kind of torn on whether he or Trump would be worse news for Biden in 2024. Trump would be worse for our country overall, probably, but it's still really hard to gauge whether the stink of 1/6 will hurt him. Despite their shameful reluctance to fully acknowledge what he did there, I do think deep down a lot of traditionalists still hold that against him.

tangential but this reminded me of something- remember when companies and such threatened to pull out of NC en masse when there was anti-lgbtq+ legislation?

That isn't happening in Florida or any other state that is passing such laws or implementing policy. Same with anti-choice/abortion laws.

Disney still funds candidates that support and even sponsor the legislation in Florida.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

tangential but this reminded me of something- remember when companies and such threatened to pull out of NC en masse when there was anti-lgbtq+ legislation?

That isn't happening in Florida or any other state that is passing such laws or implementing policy. Same with anti-choice/abortion laws.

Disney still funds candidates that support and even sponsor the legislation in Florida.

Cynical take, but, they don't have to. The "corporate boycott" re: Russia is way more popular. Though it's fun to imagine the immediate and meteoric impact something like cutting off Apple Pay in Florida or Texas would make.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Cynical take, but, they don't have to. The "corporate boycott" re: Russia is way more popular. Though it's fun to imagine the immediate and meteoric impact something like cutting off Apple Pay in Florida or Texas would make.

It's more evidence that their "wokeness" is performative. They'll do whatever they think will get them more money. If that's being publicly silent as people are harmed, then that's what they'll do. If that's supporting politicians that are disgusting but give them tax breaks then that's what they'll do.

Money talks in either direction.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

It's more evidence that their "wokeness" is performative. They'll do whatever they think will get them more money. If that's being publicly silent as people are harmed, then that's what they'll do. If that's supporting politicians that are disgusting but give them tax breaks then that's what they'll do.

Money talks in either direction.

I wish there were better terms than "wokeness" and "virtue signaling", but "branding" and "advertising" just lack a certain...oomph that those words carry.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Here's a fun question from the new NBC poll today.

- About the same amount of people would view a candidate more positively if they were endorsed by Trump, Bernie Sanders, or Biden.

- But, a Trump endorsement would turn more people off than Sanders or Biden.

- Someone endorsed by AOC would turn off a little more people than it would turn on, but the most common reaction would be that they don't know how it would impact their feelings or it wouldn't make much of a difference.

- Despite all the various talk about tying candidates to Trump, AOC, Biden, or Sanders to bring down their popularity, Mitch McConnell is in a league of his own on unpopularity.

Only 10% of Americans would look favorably on someone endorsed by McConnell. He is roughly in the same league as Marjorie Taylor Greene, who only 7% of people would see an endorsement from as a good thing.

Even more people would be turned off by a McConnell endorsement than they would a Marjorie Taylor Greene endorsement; which is a pretty wild achievement for anyone, let alone the head of a major party.

On Issues:

- People really hate candidates who call to defund the police and really like candidates who call for funding the police.

Like, REALLY like/hate that. Only 11% of Americans would be less favorable to someone who said we should support the police and only 17% of Americans would be more favorable to someone who said they wanted to defund the police.

- Americans are very against overturning Roe v. Wade and mostly want abortion to stay as it is now.

Americans really want a candidate who will:

- Increase domestic oil production.
- Lower prescription drug prices.
- Support bipartisan infrastructure spending.
- Do more to support Ukraine than we are currently doing.
- Keep Roe v. Wade and protect abortion rights.
- Fund the police.

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/1509138462397636611

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 30, 2022

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cool. Hope whoever votes in the next election gets what they want.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, the data from Pew today seems to pretty conclusively prove that Biden's #1 strategy for 2024 should be to make it legal for foreigners to vote for President.

Or at the very least, the Dutch, Flemish, and Swedes.

I'm wondering why the Greeks are ~3x more likely to prefer Trump than the Belgians.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 30, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's a fun question from the new NBC poll today.

Just lmao that Bernie's endorsements carry more weight than Biden's (a difference of +6 for Bernie, which isn't really "the same amount of people"; it's 3x the difference between Biden & Trump, who are only two points apart). And this was a survey of all voters, not just Dems.

Also that they polled McConnell but not Pelosi (granted, McConnell is lower in approvals than Pelosi in other polls but both are kissing the floor in polling).

Also the loaded questioning about the police & crime: "supports funding the police & providing them the resources & training they need to protect our communities." May as well ask whether respondents want their women & children to be raped & brutalized or do they want the noble men & women in blue to protect them.

Also that "lowering the cost of prescription drugs" is such transpartisan, low-hanging fruit yet will never get done thanks to donor-driven politics & regulatory capture.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Just lmao that Bernie's endorsements carry more weight than Biden's (a difference of +6 for Bernie, which isn't really "the same amount of people"; it's 3x the difference between Biden & Trump, who are only two points apart). And this was a survey of all voters, not just Dems.

Also that they polled McConnell but not Pelosi (granted, McConnell is lower in approvals than Pelosi in other polls but both are kissing the floor in polling).

Also the loaded questioning about the police & crime: "supports funding the police & providing them the resources & training they need to protect our communities." May as well ask whether respondents want their women & children to be raped & brutalized or do they want the noble men & women in blue to protect them.

Also that "lowering the cost of prescription drugs" is such transpartisan, low-hanging fruit yet will never get done thanks to donor-driven politics & regulatory capture.

33, 30, and 33 are about the same. I was referring to the increase in favorable view. The next sentence is about the negative impact.

The prescription drug reduction issue is actually less transpartisan than I thought. Only about 23% of Trump supporters support it and 46% oppose. So, they are 2:1 against.

I wonder if part of it is that they mentioned it was Biden's plan.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/30/facebook-tiktok-targeted-victory/

Holy poo poo, Facebook paid a GOP consulting firm to help them attack TikTok, what a stupid timeline this is.

e: this was the reason for the bizarre uptick in stories about random TikTok vandalism trends, because of course it was

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/30/facebook-tiktok-targeted-victory/

Holy poo poo, Facebook paid a GOP consulting firm to help them attack TikTok, what a stupid timeline this is.

e: this was the reason for the bizarre uptick in stories about random TikTok vandalism trends, because of course it was

The Franchise Wars of 2032 predicted in Demolition Man are getting closer and closer to reality.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Franchise Wars of 2032 predicted in Demolition Man are getting closer and closer to reality.

Buddy, I still take cheap swipes at people I know that use Apple products.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Personally I think DeSantis is way more dangerous than Trump

He mostly avoids personally getting involved in controversial issues and leaves it to underlings. But he’s been able to accomplish most of his goals here in FL. The courts have blocked some of it, but a lot of it succeeded.
Eh idk he barely won by like half a percent meanwhile Trump crushed expectations in Florida twice

You can say yeah ok but DeSantis ran in the midterms without Trump on the ballot to boost chud turnout, but if he needs to ride Trump's coattails then by definition he can't be doing that if he's at the top of the ticket, and if he's barely squeaking by in Florida he probably isn't winning the electoral college. Biden got crushed in Florida and still won handily

I think Trump is the most dangerous opponent just like he was in 2016 and we should not be hoping he runs again and assuming he's easy to beat.

On the other hand he lost and Republicans hate a weak loser. On the gripping hand he never conceded or admitted a loss which is a strong power move to them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New study shows that the federal government's focus on combatting racial inequalities in vaccination and Covid deaths, combined with media coverage of the disparities, led to an initial elimination of the racial vaccination gap. But, they then led to a new racial gap (with white people falling behind) in Georgia. As white people (in Georgia only, this was not a nationwide study) heard more about racial disparities in vaccinations and outcomes, they became less afraid of Covid and more opposed to vaccination and prevention measures.

quote:

Highlights

•Tested relations with White US residents' awareness of COVID-19 racial disparities.

•Perceiving greater COVID-19 racial disparities predicted reduced fear of COVID-19.

•Exposure to information about COVID-19 racial disparities reduced empathy.

•Reduced empathy and fear of COVID-19 predict reduced support for safety precautions.

•Highlighting racial disparities may paradoxically perpetuate racial inequalities.

Abstract
U.S. media has extensively covered racial disparities in COVID-19 infections and deaths, which may ironically reduce public concern about COVID-19. In two preregistered studies (conducted in the fall of 2020), we examined whether perceptions of COVID-19 racial disparities predict White U.S. residents’ attitudes toward COVID-19. Utilizing a correlational design (N = 498), we found that those who perceived COVID-19 racial disparities to be greater reported reduced fear of COVID-19, which predicted reduced support for COVID-19 safety precautions. In Study 2, we manipulated exposure to information about COVID-19 racial disparities (N = 1,505). Reading about the persistent inequalities that produced COVID-19 racial disparities reduced fear of COVID-19, empathy for those vulnerable to COVID-19, and support for safety precautions. These findings suggest that publicizing racial health disparities has the potential to create a vicious cycle wherein raising awareness reduces support for the very policies that could protect public health and reduce disparities.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S027795362200257X#!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 30, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VitalSigns posted:

Eh idk he barely won by like half a percent meanwhile Trump crushed expectations in Florida twice

You can say yeah ok but DeSantis ran in the midterms without Trump on the ballot to boost chud turnout, but if he needs to ride Trump's coattails then by definition he can't be doing that if he's at the top of the ticket, and if he's barely squeaking by in Florida he probably isn't winning the electoral college. Biden got crushed in Florida and still won handily

I think Trump is the most dangerous opponent just like he was in 2016 and we should not be hoping he runs again and assuming he's easy to beat.

On the other hand he lost and Republicans hate a weak loser. On the gripping hand he never conceded or admitted a loss which is a strong power move to them.
DeSantis probably wins re-election by more than 5 points this year

The Dems are running reheated candidates against him and the Dem base here in FL is eroding rapidly

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cranappleberry posted:

Yes but disney funds all the candidates, so that way no mater whose in charge will "owe" them.

My dad worked for a company and told me how "political donations" the owner was butt hurt for decades because one year he gave money to both the incumbent sheriff and his challenger....the loving challenger won. The owner figured since he d been one of the few to back the winner he d get some kinda favor.

Instead the winner had no....fealty to him.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

Yes but disney funds all the candidates, so that way no mater whose in charge will "owe" them.

My dad worked for a company and told me how "political donations" the owner was butt hurt for decades because one year he gave money to both the incumbent sheriff and his challenger....the loving challenger won. The owner figured since he d been one of the few to back the winner he d get some kinda favor.

Instead the winner had no....fealty to him.

Maybe, idk, at least threaten to pull the funding if the politicians are doing stuff that is objectively harmful to marginalized groups of people.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

DeSantis probably wins re-election by more than 5 points this year

The Dems are running reheated candidates against him and the Dem base here in FL is eroding rapidly

I remember seeing broward county pigs deploy smoke canisters against anti-police protesters in fort lauderdale, and now the democrats keep begging me to help val demmings, a cop, get elected.

"No more cops" turned into "No, more cops!" real fuckin' fast. I want nothing to do with that party.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
FTC suing Intuit over the "free" turbotax campaign

quote:

The Federal Trade Commission is taking action against Intuit Inc., the maker of the popular TurboTax tax filing software, by issuing an administrative complaint against the company for deceiving consumers with bogus advertisements pitching “free” tax filing that millions of consumers could not use. In addition, to prevent ongoing harm to consumers rushing to file their taxes, the Commission also filed a federal district court complaint asking a court to order Intuit to halt its deceptive advertising immediately.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If 2024 rolls around and both parties candidates are in their 80s, well, just endless screaming

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

World Famous W posted:

If 2024 rolls around and both parties candidates are in their 80s, well, just endless screaming

Old Men ruling the world, a new age.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can't call our leaders out of touch boomers if they're not technically baby boomers :hmmyes:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Arist posted:

this makes sense given that every other type of crime in the past few years has been attributed to some kind of 'challenge'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Honestly, Intuit advertising free tax filing (that only about 60% of people qualify for) is basically the least evil thing they have done in the last three decades.

The Obama admin spent two years in court arguing that Intuit was violating a federal law that prevented charging people to file their taxes electronically if they qualified for the free federal filing because they were making the federal return free, but your state return cost $19.99 to submit and they wouldn't send the federal one unless you had both completed.

The Obama admin eventually won and they had to issue refunds and stop. But, then they just went to find the next highest level of grifting they could legally do. This one is just preying on American laziness and hoping people who don't qualify will just get frustrated that they already filled out their forms and pay it instead of doing it over.

The worst part is that Intuit has been buying up all the other tax prep software companies. Turbotax is actually very easy and good software that can file your taxes in less than 10 minutes and the IRS online filing tool is terrible and they are legally prevented from improving it. I've had to file taxes with 4 different programs in the last 4 years because the free ones keep getting bought by Intuit and Intuit is making it harder and harder to get it for free.

It's not the most serious problem in the world, but it is the most pointless and self-inflicted problem in the world since it only exists because, in 1994, Newt Gingrich thought that making taxes as annoying as possible would help Republicans and tax preparers like money.

Somehow, the fact that the whole problem was invented by someone who wasn't even part of the tax prep industry and wasn't originally pushed by the tax prep industry as typical regulatory capture/rent-seeking makes it 100x more infuriating.

Fister Roboto posted:

You can't call our leaders out of touch boomers if they're not technically baby boomers :hmmyes:

Boomerism isn't an age; it's a state of mind.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ Lieberman & other Dems helped block reform, too, bc of pressure from CPA professional groups, iirc. As with everything else in modern politics, donors had the final say, and voters be damned.

The prescription drug reduction issue is actually less transpartisan than I thought. Only about 23% of Trump supporters support it and 46% oppose. So, they are 2:1 against.

I wonder if part of it is that they mentioned it was Biden's plan.

Yeah, I meant more that prescription-drug price controls show up in almost any polling as being around 80 percent approval among all voters.

Biden's plan is nowhere near comprehensive price controls, and if polled on it I'd prolly say I'm against it too.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 30, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Old Men ruling the world, a new age.

as the CDC now says, why contain it! it's cool!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cranappleberry posted:

Maybe, idk, at least threaten to pull the funding if the politicians are doing stuff that is objectively harmful to marginalized groups of people.

I agree with you but the practical reality is politicians by their very nature wield political power, and a business would want to stay on the good side of that power.

Like say there is a liquor store owner, he gives money to the local city counsel, the mayors campaign, donates booze to the local police/fire fighters ball, and finally provides all the local churches with wine,

The goal of all this is to provide "goodwill" and to keep the church from working the community up with the evils of booze. To keep a politician from running on "were gonna heavily regulate/shut down" the source of evil in our community. To keep the local chapter of M.A.D. from loving with you.

Now I would like to poo poo on disney for canceling the owl house, making lovely star wars films, and so help me I want toy story 5 to just be gay as gently caress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah, the point in most small-level corporate donations is to make sure politicians don't have an easy excuse to poo poo on you.

Disney's at the level where they can outright buy people, and do, but compare the money they stand to lose from Florida anti-gay bills, and the money they stand to lose if Florida started even pretending they had labor laws again, and you know exactly why they aren't making any more than mildly annoyed noise about the latest Republican GOTV approach.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
The "Fund the Police" garbage doesn't surprise me since both parties are beating their chest to give the police whatever they want, and we've seen how issues are driven by blind partisanship and media narratives. Voters aren't even being presented with alternatives, the question is always phrased as "should we make you less safe?!". So of course white suburbanite dipshits are going to believe that supporting police and keeping a Black Lives Matter sign in their yard aren't mutually exclusive.

At the end of the day building a draconian police state to terrorize the working class into quiet subservience is the goal of capitalists, so it will be the goal of both parties, so it will be the goal of the corporate owned media to sell to the public.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
More appropriate for anothe thread

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

The "Fund the Police" garbage doesn't surprise me since both parties are beating their chest to give the police whatever they want, and we've seen how issues are driven by blind partisanship and media narratives. Voters aren't even being presented with alternatives, the question is always phrased as "should we make you less safe?!". So of course white suburbanite dipshits are going to believe that supporting police and keeping a Black Lives Matter sign in their yard aren't mutually exclusive.

At the end of the day building a draconian police state to terrorize the working class into quiet subservience is the goal of capitalists, so it will be the goal of both parties, so it will be the goal of the corporate owned media to sell to the public.

83% to 89% of the population probably includes a lot more people than white suburbanites.

African-Americans have a lower approval of defund the police than white people.

Some of the proposals of defund the police have significant support, but people of all races strongly dislike the slogan and some of the proposals.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Police have endless amounts of TV and Movie propaganda in their favor as "heros" and the news has close ties to them because if it bleeds it leads.

Because of that, the news media also pushes scare stories about crime that gets folks wanting more police.

It's extremely hard to work against that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

Police have endless amounts of TV and Movie propaganda in their favor as "heros" and the news has close ties to them because if it bleeds it leads.

Because of that, the news media also pushes scare stories about crime that gets folks wanting more police.

It's extremely hard to work against that.

It is, but you can see in polling that specific measures can get majority support or at least significantly more support if you rephrase them.

In this Reuters Poll: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/07/usa-today-ipsos-poll-just-18-support-defund-police-movement/4599232001/

Support:

Abolish the police: 11%
Defund the police: 18%
Take a portion of police budget and redirect to social services: 43%

There's also majority support for body cams, community service and parole for non-violent offenders, and sending mental health professionals on wellness checks instead of police.

It's not that everyone desperately wants to support the police to the hilt. They just genuinely oppose "abolishing" the police and they support some of the concepts of defunding the police, but not the whole package and strongly dislike the slogan (or whatever their perception of the slogan is).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it really can't be overstated how much shows like Law and Order have essentially propagandized people into believing that cops (and criminal prosecutors!) are the good guys who are solely responsible for keeping you safe. Or how shows like that often portray public defenders as sleazy slimeballs, or literally any law or regulation that limits the power of cops as a major threat to public safety :doink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

It is, but you can see in polling that specific measures can get majority support or at least significantly more support if you rephrase them.

In this Reuters Poll: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/07/usa-today-ipsos-poll-just-18-support-defund-police-movement/4599232001/

Support:

Abolish the police: 11%
Defund the police: 18%
Take a portion of police budget and redirect to social services: 43%

There's also majority support for body cams, community service and parole for non-violent offenders, and sending mental health professionals on wellness checks instead of police.

It's not that everyone desperately wants to support the police to the hilt. They just genuinely oppose "abolishing" the police and they support some of the concepts of defunding the police, but not the whole package and strongly dislike the slogan (or whatever their perception of the slogan is).

Strong support for the police but also support for some sensible policies means you'll get a few programs through but you'll be unable to fix the institutional issues with policing.

Like, great that programs like Denver's STAR are getting implemented and getting results, but the racist and brutal policing will continue.