Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

They have mandatory conscription so the only exceptional thing in this is that it happens during an active land war in Ukraine.

they have mandatory conscription, but that doesn't answer the question of how many people are conscripted in normal years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

d64 posted:

Many news sites have reported that 130000+ conscripts have been called into service, noting Russia is saying it is not an action related to the war but routine biannual intake of conscripts. All the articles I checked left it vague if this matches previous years, i.e. if these are usual numbers for conscripts taken in in the spring. Anyone have an idea?

Not looking for speculation on how they surely will be pushed into the fire after two weeks of drills. Just if there's a source confirming that this is something that would be happening on every year.

According to: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/explainer-russian-conscription-reserve-and-mobilization

quote:

The Russian General Staff reported conscripting 127,000 people for the fall 2021 draft and 134,000 people in spring 2021 out of 672,000 summoned men.[7] The number of conscripts is relatively consistent year on year, with 263,000 in 2020 and 267,000 in 2019.[8] Approximately 261,000 conscripts from 2021 are currently serving across Russian units, with the fall 2021 conscripts entering their third month of training.

So 130,000 is pretty average.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

evilweasel posted:

they have mandatory conscription, but that doesn't answer the question of how many people are conscripted in normal years

Unless I am mistaken its by age bracket, even in Russia. So basically "all men of age 18-19" or so.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

This literally describes Russia for the past 10 years.

That plus the speed run they started last month!

Like I said,

PerilPastry posted:

Basically it seems to amount to a bunch of projection and :ironicat:

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Thanks, exactly the info I was after.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Unless I am mistaken its by age bracket, even in Russia. So basically "all men of age 18-19" or so.

All men of that age that can't pay bribes or get an exemption otherwise.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

OddObserver posted:

All men of that age that can't pay bribes or get an exemption otherwise.

Or aren't going to school abroad. This twitter person monitors a Moscow mom chat group and posts updates from it occasionally. Members of the group p obviously have money. Selections:
https://twitter.com/tanjamaier17/status/1505063271610863617?t=oYalhPe0ft-RgH7HK3gauA&s=19
https://twitter.com/tanjamaier17/status/1505064617042751489?t=b6x22a-S0BqoQ-wDn0WTiA&s=19
https://twitter.com/tanjamaier17/status/1508160167862587394?t=hQQ2ls1ow-nwvhLVYlozgw&s=19

She lived in Russia for a while, now is in Austria and has been coordinating support for Ukrainian refugees. An interesting on the ground follow.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Tomn posted:

Ah, the updating in 2007 would actually make sense - in 2007 the GLONASS PZ-90 datum (that is, where their GNSS reckons the center of the Earth to be) was updated to more closely match global WGS 84 standards. If they'd been using an older datum before then then their GNSS coordinates wouldn't have matched what they were seeing on the map, so even if nothing else changed adjusting the coordinates to match the new 2007 datum would have made sense. That being said, a further update to the PZ-90 datum came out in 2013 but perhaps that was a smaller change that wouldn't have made as much of a navigational difference. And of course, updating the coordinates alone without checking conditions on the ground isn't really ideal for map accuracy in general but I guess the Ukrainians weren't super interested in helping them update their military maps.

Either way, this certainly helps explain why those Russian troops from way back when were spotted bumbling around in circles getting lost in a Ukrainian city.

Edit:
Also aren't we about due for a new Danish-Swedish War?

Well, we built that bridge to Copenhagen because the strait doesn't freeze as well as in the 17th century, and we even got the Danes to pay for a lot of it.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

this is the red cross facilitating the take over of mariupol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/melissakchan/status/1509573628395982848

https://twitter.com/melissakchan/status/1509572796120281101

I wouldn't have expected the latter factoid.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Okay so Russia is shifting focus to the south, right? You know what's in the south?? ODESA! So obviously that means Russia should do amphibious landing practice runs again.
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1509588801273970695?t=7EGci2e4__OLcd0eXTYQug&s=19
The ships were loaded btw.

So the potential for Dollar Tree D-Day still exists.

Oh by the way the weapons the UK "and allies" are sending include costal defense stuff
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1509587852409151492?t=ZDV_OoNfQi29t4HXbLQnIA&s=19

:lol:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Great, now you're telling me the russians gotta start bombing the fields too!!!!?!

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I dont know if this guy's account has been posted in here but he's providing a very intimate perspective of the experience of an American on the ground.

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974

Mentions that he hasn't seen any Americans around besides himself, has an interesting perspective on the goings on of procuring equipment and has been vocal on his twitter about the hem and haw of accepting donations/actually getting equipment in the hands of folks on the ground.

Definitely some :nms: going on with regard to some footage of destroyed vehicles posted March 24th with some pretty enthusiastic Ukrainians, but no gratuitous close-ups of bodies that I've seen. Doesn't seem like his first war.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

RottenK posted:

every time there's news about ukraine getting more weapons you get replies from russia supporters jerking off about how it's just going to get destroyed by kalibr missiles

do these people think that's it's some wonder weapon that can be used in any situation for any target forever at no cost and will always win russia all wars

Other way around, whatever the missile hits is retroactively classified as a NATO weapons shipment

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Almost certainly a result of the country being on a war footing - I would guess that planting is being prioritized as critical. Plus a lot of specialty farm equipment likely got moved away from the front, tractors dragging tanks notwithstanding. Stuff like planters and sprayers are usually implements, so not self powered*, and can be hooked on any tractor with enough horsepower. They're also expensive. I bet implements mostly got moved out of farms near the fighting even if tractors stayed. So farmers in the west might have multiple planters running at a time when usually they can only run one.

*some sprayers are self powered dedicated machines but almost all planters are tow-behind

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I'm amazed by the bravery of the Ukrainian people. Not just their soldiers; but the truck drivers, train employees, and farmers that are keeping the country fed in the middle of a war.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Something something russian fertilizer.

:(

Doccers fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 31, 2022

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

KitConstantine posted:

Dollar Tree D-Day

Oh no.

(I've come around to not being able to rule out such things happening, because the only reason why I would assume it couldn't happen is "obviously, russia wouldn't do something so obviously and catastrophically stupid" and, well, what with the invasion of Ukraine being what it is, clearly future military debacles are on the table at all ends)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

KitConstantine posted:

Okay so Russia is shifting focus to the south, right? You know what's in the south?? ODESA! So obviously that means Russia should do amphibious landing practice runs again.
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1509588801273970695?t=7EGci2e4__OLcd0eXTYQug&s=19

Oh by the way the weapons the UK "and allies" are sending include costal defense stuff
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1509587852409151492?t=ZDV_OoNfQi29t4HXbLQnIA&s=19

It would be borderline suicide to land right now and it doesn't match their objective of securing the Donbas. More likely a demonstration to force the Ukrainians to keep forces in the south and prevent them from reinforcing the east. Just curious how he knows they are loaded and if there is information on which units are on those landing vessels.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KitConstantine posted:

The vibe I get here is like in one of those wonderful videos where a cat wants to jump some place and spends a bunch of time bobbling and tensing for the jump until they finally try it and, well, eat complete poo poo.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

MikeC posted:

It would be borderline suicide to land right now and it doesn't match their objective of securing the Donbas. More likely a demonstration to force the Ukrainians to keep forces in the south and prevent them from reinforcing the east. Just curious how he knows they are loaded and if there is information on which units are on those landing vessels.

There must be another source of intel showing how low the ships are in the water. Fairly easy way to tell how loaded a ship is, but does need a different camera angle and relatively high-resolution.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Trump posted:

You gotta spell this out for me, I can't access the article.

Contrary to what the initial report might have made you believe the list the German Defense minister (Lambrecht, SPD) talked about was not stuff the Bundeswehr is going to send Ukraine, but the result of a querry by the Economy ministry to German defense manufactures what they might be able to deliver.

The Ukrainians today were handed the list during a meeting in the Economy ministry.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It seems like a terrible idea to send a landing force with one frigate.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I’m getting a sinking feeling that this is going to end badly for the troops on these ships.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ukraine basically has no Navy any more, though I guess air threat could be an issue?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

I’m getting a sinking feeling that this is going to end badly for the troops on these ships.

Makes me wonder if the've even disembarked these guys at all in the past few weeks. Keeping troops cramped up on landing ships drives them nuts and tires them out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OddObserver posted:

Ukraine basically has no Navy any more, though I guess air threat could be an issue?

It's not that they're going to sink the ship. It's that there's literally almost no fire support. Which means the landing force is going to get hosed

As we've set up thread probably 500 pages back. Ideally you want strike craft and naval bombardment to occur simultaneously as The Invasion is taking place. Since losing most of your troops on the beach basically negates gains at a pretty rapid rate.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

MikeC posted:

I mean you could quote this verbatim as a reason Russia wouldn't try to conquer the whole country with 190,000 troops, and yet.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

I'm not a tank expert, but this always surprises me. Loading ammo into a gun seems like something that should be easy to automate and provide improved performance over a human.

Autoloaders used to be slower than an manual loaders during shorter engagements before the loader got tired, but I'm not sure that holds up with modern tanks. Having a loader does not add much to the logistical profile of a tank and is also an extra pair of hands which is very appreciated when you get stuck or wreck a track link doing a dumb manuver and need to fix that. I think they also mentioned that there was a doctrinal difference between the US and Soviet Union where the soviets were more focused on a rapid advance and gave no immidiate priority of fixing tanks that broke down on the way. The US however (and NATO?) had a higher priority on repairing broken down stuff even within a smaller unit organisation (armor company?), which made extra hands even more useful.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

This might be something decided by Putin and upper management, "there will be an amphibious assault and landing to take Odessa". Something akin to the VDV doing those stupid suicide attacks.

And hasn't this been postponed at least once because the marines simply said "no"?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RottenK posted:

every time there's news about ukraine getting more weapons you get replies from russia supporters jerking off about how it's just going to get destroyed by kalibr missiles

do these people think that's it's some wonder weapon that can be used in any situation for any target forever at no cost and will always win russia all wars

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/24/russia-kalibr-cruise-missile-ukraine-weapons/

quote:

Russia stuck barracks in the southern port city of Mykolaiv with a Kalibr missile earlier this month, the New York Times reported, killing at least eight Ukrainian soldiers who had been sleeping there. The region’s governor said at least 19 others were wounded.

Using a million-dollar missile to take out a squad of infantry seems like not the most efficient use of limited materiel.

And then there was this last week:

quote:

“As a result of the strike, a large depot of weapons and military equipment of the Ukrainian troops, including those received from Western countries, was destroyed,” a statement on the ministry’s Telegram channel said.

U.S. officials said they could not confirm that the weapons had been used. Ukrainian authorities have not confirmed the deployment of the missiles or the destruction of an arsenal near Rivne.

The Post could not independently verify Russia’s claim that a weapons depot had been destroyed.

Which is the Russians claiming they destroyed an arsenal, and evidence strongly suggesting they missed / hit the wrong thing. (I also seem to recall OSInt sources saying there was no gigantic explosion at the supposed site of the supposedly destroyed arsenal, which is what you'd expect if it was a destroyed arsenal.)

So there's not a lot of evidence that the missiles have been having much of an effect, and then there's also the fact that Pentagon officials have been making announcements that Russia is " running out of precision guided munitions", which would include the Kalibr.

So yeah, doesn't seem like Russia has that many of the things to throw around, or that they've been especially effective when they have.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I dont know if this guy's account has been posted in here but he's providing a very intimate perspective of the experience of an American on the ground.

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974

Mentions that he hasn't seen any Americans around besides himself, has an interesting perspective on the goings on of procuring equipment and has been vocal on his twitter about the hem and haw of accepting donations/actually getting equipment in the hands of folks on the ground.

Definitely some :nms: going on with regard to some footage of destroyed vehicles posted March 24th with some pretty enthusiastic Ukrainians, but no gratuitous close-ups of bodies that I've seen. Doesn't seem like his first war.

I've been following him as well. If you watch his early stuff he does say there is a second American in his unit in only one of his videos verbally, but goes on to deny there are others in future videos.

e: I also believe Vita Zaverukha may be part of his battalion because she was seen at one of the same battles with the same vehicles on fire that he featured.

:nms: https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1509607505537773568

If you look at the beginning on the very left, they patiently waited for the fuel truck before pressing the button.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 31, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1509598151669338128

Read this earlier today in Russian, and it’s a well written perspective on the potential court intrigue.
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1509597448708239367

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Yeah he’s mentioned right in the OP.

KitConstantine posted:

Just :staredog: @ everything in this post.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Groshy Galipoli?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So there's not a lot of evidence that the missiles have been having much of an effect, and then there's also the fact that Pentagon officials have been making announcements that Russia is " running out of precision guided munitions", which would include the Kalibr.

So yeah, doesn't seem like Russia has that many of the things to throw around, or that they've been especially effective when they have.

They have been hitting a whole bunch of fuel depots lately, which I imagine will make a difference. Of course I, don't know the kinds and purposes of fuels there. (And food warehouses. And Mariupol administration building).

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah he’s mentioned right in the OP.

Ah I haven't checked it in a while. Thank you and all the other mods and de-facto mods and quality posters (again) for being a major source of well versed and carefully investigated information on all of this. Especially the euro- and slav-goons(and mil-goons) providing context, translation and personal experiences with about as much tact+moderation as can be hoped for in this very strange, voyeuristic process.

I got my first probe in 16 years of gooning in this thread and it honestly made me little happy because it was another reminder of how carefully this thread is being moderated. The work is greatly appreciated.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

this is the red cross facilitating the take over of mariupol

This is the Red Cross being the neutral aid organization it is and always has been.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of equipment, the US has been getting pretty vague about whether their latest batch of weapons and supplies have been delivered to Ukraine or not. Last week the Pentagon just started cryptically saying that they should arrive "soon" and refused to elaborate. "Did we just hand off a bunch of brand-spanking-new drone tech to the Ukrainian Army? Who can tell these things?"

https://twitter.com/CNBCi/status/1509194112347607047

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's not that they're going to sink the ship. It's that there's literally almost no fire support. Which means the landing force is going to get hosed

As we've set up thread probably 500 pages back. Ideally you want strike craft and naval bombardment to occur simultaneously as The Invasion is taking place. Since losing most of your troops on the beach basically negates gains at a pretty rapid rate.

to explain this further: your artillery for an amphibious invasion are ships. on d-day you had like the entire american and UK navy sitting off the shore - not to protect the landing craft from the german nay, but to pour a metric shitton of explosives onto things shooting at troops

and that was against relatively lightly defended beaches with relative surprise

invading a fortified city that's been waiting for you with one frigate offshore seems...non-ideal

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Read this earlier today in Russian, and it’s a well written perspective on the potential court intrigue.
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1509597448708239367

Definitely interesting. It will also be interesting to see how much of that winds up being a rally-around-the-flag effect, and how much endures.

For comparison, some polling on Vietnam and Iraq in the U.S.:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/18097/iraq-versus-vietnam-comparison-public-opinion.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress it let em come. Hopefully after anti ship missiles are on the shores of Odessa so the ukrainians can sink a landing craft and seriously gently caress the offensive up.