Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

no deductible?

Zero anything, that was part of that law they made a ways back (when COVID was definitely nearly over, unlike how over it is now). My insurance had several pharmacies that you could order for free (in person) the tests, but you basically had to pray the pharmacist knew the rule and the pharmacist had to essentially write a script. My prescription provider was Optum (because we live in a hell that requires you to have health insurance and a prescription insurance provider separately). I can walk anyone though the process of getting them online if you have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

They just recently released a study on taking vitamin D after diagnosis

https://mdpi-res.com/d_attachment/jpm/jpm-12-00419/article_deploy/jpm-12-00419.pdf

quote:

The purpose of this systematic review is to examine the efficacy of vitamin D administered to adult patients follow- ing COVID-19 diagnosis in terms of length of hospital stay, intubation, ICU admission and mortality rates. Therefore, PubMed and Scopus databases were searched for original articles referring to the aforementioned parameters. Of the 1376 identified studies, eleven were finally included. Vitamin D supplements, and especially calcifediol, were shown to be useful in significantly reducing ICU admissions and/or mortality in four of the studies, but not in diminishing the duration of hospital- ization of COVID-19 patients. Due to the large variation in vitamin D supplementation schemes no absolute conclusions can be drawn until larger randomized controlled trials are completed. However, calcifediol administered to COVID-19 patients upon diagnosis represents by far the most promising agent and should be the focus of upcoming research efforts.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Pillowpants posted:

CDC Wastewater tracker

drat this rules, thank u

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Do you have any idea how much I hate knowing loving anything about covid? Someone mentions gi issues my brain brings up an article, vitamin D, just read a study, ventilation questions, I got answers. I don’t want to know any of this dumb covid bullshit but my brain is stuffed with it. Dumb loving shithead pandemic, viruses are gross and I hate them.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Whatever. As long as Hannah Montana isn't sick.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
man i just gotta gloat for a second and say - I have gotten really good at cutting my hair. Perfectly loving even A line bob and I ombre colored it light green to teal down.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've also gotten haircuts down to a repeatable ritual [just kinda dragging a cheap electric trimmer around my skull like Kevin Bacon at the end of Death Sentence]

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

DoombatINC posted:

I've also gotten haircuts down to a repeatable ritual [just kinda dragging a cheap electric trimmer around my skull like Kevin Bacon at the end of Death Sentence]

i do that but now i decided to just let my hair grow because even that is too much effort any more and who loving cares anyways lmao

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I should have known I'd be beaten

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Trixie Hardcore posted:

https://mdpi-res.com/d_attachment/jpm/jpm-12-00419/article_deploy/jpm-12-00419.pdf

tbh I think I'd prefer kidney stones to a vent

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

silicone thrills posted:

man i just gotta gloat for a second and say - I have gotten really good at cutting my hair. Perfectly loving even A line bob and I ombre colored it light green to teal down.

Congratulations, I'm jealous.

I don't really know how to cut my hair other than to keep trimming my bangs out of my eyes. I really want to get it colored but I have no confidence to do it myself and lol going anywhere to my hair done for at least a few months until the next time covid is over (for real this time!!!).

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What my doctor told me was that being vitamin D-deficient is really common these days, and if you get COVID and you are also suffering from a deficiency you're more likely to have a bad time. You can overdo it and make yourself sick, though, a couple thousand IUs should be plenty unless you've got a clinical condition impairing your ability to generate it from sunlight.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

kazmeyer posted:

What my doctor told me was that being vitamin D-deficient is really common these days, and if you get COVID and you are also suffering from a deficiency you're more likely to have a bad time. You can overdo it and make yourself sick, though, a couple thousand IUs should be plenty unless you've got a clinical condition impairing your ability to generate it from sunlight.

is permanently hiding in a cave from the Wicked Sun a clinical condition?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shiroc posted:

Congratulations, I'm jealous.

I don't really know how to cut my hair other than to keep trimming my bangs out of my eyes. I really want to get it colored but I have no confidence to do it myself and lol going anywhere to my hair done for at least a few months until the next time covid is over (for real this time!!!).

Yeah I haven't been to have my hair cut by a professional since feb 2020. I like to keep my shortest point right in the back almost buzzed (which I havent been doing) but I can do a back split part and line up and do kind of a chop cut longer in the front, back to my scalp in the back. No bangs for me cause I have an acne prone 5 head and bangs just kind of flop on my face and look sad and give me acne. I've basically just been cutting it every time it gets as long as my shoulders because that's the point where it starts clogging my tub and being too annoying.

I used to spend way too much money getting multi hour color layers but luckily I did watch/learn/ask questions through most of my appointments. Helps that im already a painter probably. Any sort of technical color craft makes me excited and interested.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Tulip posted:

is permanently hiding in a cave from the Wicked Sun a clinical condition?

I too fear the fiery eye of Aten. My doctor didn't order a test; when I described to her the fact that I semi-regularly pull all-nighters for work and then sleep through the day entombed by blackout curtains, she told me to start taking a D3 supplement right away.

(Freelancing cured the gently caress out of my insomnia. When I had to get up and punch a clock every morning, I slept like poo poo and was always late; now I can drop off at a moment's notice if I can get the room cool and dark enough. It's nice.)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kazmeyer posted:

What's funny is this has been a thing in Seattle as long as i've lived here. First thing I got told when I moved here was to start taking a D3 supplement in the winter. Vitamin D deficiency is a big contributor to seasonal depression

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

kazmeyer posted:

I don’t know anything about vitamin D dosing, I just go out in the sun and eat food and that seems to work so far.

fosborb posted:

tbh I think I'd prefer kidney stones to a vent

We have to choose one? :ohdear:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I will say making sure to go out in the sun everyday was way easier when I lived in Florida, there is no escape from the sun in Florida, it is the sunshine state.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I will say making sure to go out in the sun everyday was way easier when I lived in Florida, there is no escape from the sun in Florida, it is the sunshine state.

The first time I went to spring training baseball in Florida, I saw the forecast for the day and thought "80 degrees? I don't wear sunscreen at home for that!" I got fuckin torched

Three hours in the Tampa Bay sun fuckin' wrecked me

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Do you have any idea how much I hate knowing loving anything about covid? Someone mentions gi issues my brain brings up an article, vitamin D, just read a study, ventilation questions, I got answers. I don’t want to know any of this dumb covid bullshit but my brain is stuffed with it. Dumb loving shithead pandemic, viruses are gross and I hate them.

Yeah it's like I got a new hobby against my will. I'm all buying accessories and looking stuff up all the time and boring the poo poo out of friends who aren't interested in hearing about it, it's exactly like I took up fishing or trying to modify guitar pedals or something.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I remember my mom used to rub olive oil all over her body to sunbathe because she heard it makes you tan faster.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yeah it's like I got a new hobby against my will. I'm all buying accessories and looking stuff up all the time and boring the poo poo out of friends who aren't interested in hearing about it, it's exactly like I took up fishing or trying to modify guitar pedals or something.

Good point, could be worse.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

lmao why would anyone think the FDA is gonna do EUA for covid anymore? It's been 2 years and the vaccines aren't effective enough in pediatric doses and too dangerous to give in effective adult does in pediatric patients who will have out of control immune response. You're better off just trying to bribe the minimum wage worker at walgreens to just give you a syringe than waiting for under 5 vaccines to ever get approved.
yeah for real, this has been my view on the matter
they did the bare minimum and are done now

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The first time I went to spring training baseball in Florida, I saw the forecast for the day and thought "80 degrees? I don't wear sunscreen at home for that!" I got fuckin torched

Three hours in the Tampa Bay sun fuckin' wrecked me

yeah, it'll do that

on the plus side, you got plenty of vitamin D!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I don’t know anything about vitamin D dosing, I just go out in the sun and eat food and that seems to work so far.

That'll usually do it, but some folks just don't generate it from sunlight as efficiently (skin color/type) or their lifestyle doesn't lend itself to getting it the natural way. If you've got any doubts, better safe than sorry.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhesus Pieces posted:

OH

WOOOOOORRRRRDDD????
lmao at who is tweeting this
ah there it is in the replies,
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1510324095082237953

Apr 7, 2003

Tzen posted:

Kenny Klipps never misses

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Real Mean Queen posted:

starting in july i got into weight loss and running, so now i have three unbearably boring but rather time consuming hobbies

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Petey posted:

so wish me luck
oof good luck man gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

toggle posted:

how quickly can you get infected? if i jog past someone and get a whiff is that all it takes? or is it that “15mins close contact” type deal?

Fifteen minutes was pulled from some bureaucrat’s rear end. It has no basis in the scientific literature. Not even a bad one like “six feet”, just none whatsoever.

You can, in fact, catch COVID while walking past an infected person. One such case was conclusively documented in Australia before that continent fell to the plague.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Louisgod posted:

thank you all. I loving hate people.
lol every time i start to think 'hmm maybe i can have a few beers with a friend or something' i see a post like yours and yeah no nevermind

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

I want to present a TED talk about how I have been able to avoid contracting COVID so far.

I wear disposable respirators and don't eat at Denny's. Most presentations have less content that that and I'm sure I could stretch that to 30 to 60 minutes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tzen posted:

Ill never get tired of Ken savaging various shitbird pols

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

alright lets meet outdoors, somewhere windy
i'll have my mask on when you take a drink
you put on your mask when i take a drink
loving a lets do this
lmao

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zeriel posted:

I want to present a TED talk about how I have been able to avoid contracting COVID so far.

I wear disposable respirators and don't eat at Denny's. Most presentations have less content that that and I'm sure I could stretch that to 30 to 60 minutes.
You need a few compelling anecdotes and at least one study with p = 0.04999999 results; other than that you’re gold.

Apr 7, 2003

Zeriel posted:

My wife and I have managed to avoid covid just by

A> masking in enclosed spaces
B> Not eating at restaurants
C> Not exposing ourselves unnecessarily to high risk situations

That's all you have to do (if you don't have kids). I've had 60 year old lawyer cyclists cruise up next to me to hoot and holler about whatever the gently caress. I grocery shop once every two weeks. I hit the beer store twice a week or so. My wife has been going into the office in a building where 7,000+ people work regularly since November 2020.

Just mask consistently and don't be that guy that is "doing everything right" (masking to the restaurant table and taking it off to eat for 40 minutes). That's really all it takes.

Apr 7, 2003

We have been regularly visiting my wife's grandma every few months. In August 2021 we drove up to her uncle's place in Ithaca NY, and even ate at a bratwurst place that had outdoor seating! Just don't sit indoors breathing unfiltered air with people you don't know and don't trust. Ain't hard.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol some YOLO poo poo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

No kids is easy mode tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao i had to close that article when i read this,

"Have high-quality masks on hand

Even if you’re not wearing a mask now, check your mask supply and make sure you have plenty of high-quality medical-style masks on hand.

Since many communities have lifted mask mandates, when and how often you use a mask is probably going to be up to you.

“The mask needs to go on when you start seeing case numbers going back up,” said Linsey Marr, professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech and one of the world’s leading experts on viral transmission.
"

loving lmao