Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I’m only keeping my switch around for botw2 at this point. Haven’t touched it in over a year. Kind of sad, but the PS5 fills the few hours of gaming i have per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

glassyalabolas posted:

It'll be Xenoblade 3DS all over again.

I heard a little about that, wasn't it essentially unplayable on the base 3DS?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

pentyne posted:

I heard a little about that, wasn't it essentially unplayable on the base 3DS?

I think it was literally unplayable on base 3DS, as in, it was one of the few games explicitly marked as New 3DS Only.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it was. if you want an actual "technically playable but jesus christ" situation check out hyrule warriors on the base 3DS

there's a demo!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gruckles posted:

Actually it'll run on original switch, but only in Black & White.

I am so here for the Black and Chrome Edition.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Breath of the Wild trip report:

I did the Shrine quest on Lanaryu Mountain essentially by accident and it was one of the most magical moments in the game so far. Great music too, which I have to say is unfortunate one of this games weaknesses, as I don't mind the ambient stuff but I do think it might be interesting to have more songy-songs on during the day or something. The music in the lost woods was also perfect. Which, speaking of, I also got to the deku tree last night and pulled myself up a cool looking sword :amen:

I think I'll buy Skyward Sword this fall. It has a cool score doesn't it? I never played it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

External Organs posted:

I think I'll buy Skyward Sword this fall. It has a cool score doesn't it? I never played it.

Yeah, the score is excellent.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Be forewarned the game was designed around wii mote motion controls. It’s emulated decently with separated joycons, but if you chose analog stick controls, it’s quite a thing. I hated it’s motion controls back on the Wii and I couldn’t get into them again on the Switch. But don’t let my opinion sway you, others will probably come on here and say it controls perfectly , works fine, and the problem is me. Honestly, I wouldn’t disagree with that opinion either.

As a Zelda game doing Zelda things, it’s amazing though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cartoon Man posted:

Be forewarned the game was designed around wii mote motion controls. It’s emulated decently with separated joycons, but if you chose analog stick controls, it’s quite a thing. I hated it’s motion controls back on the Wii and I couldn’t get into them again on the Switch. But don’t let my opinion sway you, others will probably come on here and say it controls perfectly , works fine, and the problem is me. Honestly, I wouldn’t disagree with that opinion either.

As a Zelda game doing Zelda things, it’s amazing though.

Yeah, I was reading about this. I reckon I'll do docked mode and see what it's like with joy cons. I guess that lets you manipulate the camera easier too? I honestly enjoyed weird waggle poo poo in twilight princess back at the Wii launch so I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
SS had (nearly) 1:1 directional control for the sword and was the furthest thing possible at the time from "waggle"

Granted it didn't always work perfectly and a lot of people never really "got" the swing mechanic but it wasn't just a jerk the wiimote in any direction to spin sort of thing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I never even tried the motion controls on the rerelease, the stick controls took a little getting used to but they worked fine to get me through.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

SS had (nearly) 1:1 directional control for the sword and was the furthest thing possible at the time from "waggle"

Granted it didn't always work perfectly and a lot of people never really "got" the swing mechanic but it wasn't just a jerk the wiimote in any direction to spin sort of thing

Specificall,y the issue many many people had was sort of "winding up" to swing the sword in one direction but then the game registered the wind up as a swing in the other direction. So if you want to swing left, you just kind of flick left. It led to a weird thing where people were trying to swing things like they would normally and the game did not understand the input even if it was supposed to be "1:1".

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Skyward sword is great and the controls were good as long as you had the upgraded wiimote. The ballad of the goddess rocks. I felt far more fluid and deadly with the melee combat in skyward than in botw, but then I did play the poo poo out of it.

* and obviously botw has less structured combat anyway

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BRJurgis posted:

Skyward sword is great and the controls were good as long as you had the upgraded wiimote. The ballad of the goddess rocks. I felt far more fluid and deadly with the melee combat in skyward than in botw, but then I did play the poo poo out of it.

You couldn't play it without the motion plus, unless you mean the wiimotes that had the motion plus already built in

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Joycon motion sensors have higher resolution than the Wii Motionplus, so I found that a lot of motion inputs worked better on the Switch than in the original, especially the shield bash and spin attack.

The sword controls aren't 1:1 free movement, but also aren't the simple flick-to-act of most Wii titles. Rather, there's a complex system of gestures corresponding to a bunch of different sword moves you can do, and most enemies are designed to telegraph which attacks will be effective and which will not, as well as react to your stance.

Pitching or yawing the controller slowly moves the position that you hold the sword in. Many enemies will adjust their guard to block against attacks coming from that angle. For instance, if you hold the sword to the left, a bokoblin will hold its sword to the left (your left) as well, so that if you swing left to right, it'll be blocked. What you want to do is hold the sword to the left then swing from right to left, so it hits the enemy where they're open.

Pitching or yawing rapidly causes you to slash in that direction. However, the important point is that the sword can be swung in any direction from any starting position. In this case, you'd first hold it to the left, then quickly yaw further to the left.

If you find that you swing from left to right instead when you try to do this, it is possible that you're accidentally performing a wind-up movement with your wrist. This makes sense as something you'd need to do if swordplay were based on 1:1 movement, but it's not. It's based on gestures.

Despite having a lot of tutorials, how it works isn't explained very well. Playing with the stick helps some people make more sense of it, but it doesn't reduce the complexity of the system, so you have to understand the difference between stance inputs and attack inputs either way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah the 1:1 swordplay is an illusion in the first place since actually, you can only swing in exactly eight directions

the sword follows your hand when you're *not* swinging it around but when you are, all motions get simplified to one of the cardinal directions or 45 degree angles.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Funnily enough, we do have VR games right now that actually can do 1:1 sword fighting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Those games tend to end up being less swordfight simulators and more "oh my God am I a psychopath?" simulators

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gaius Marius posted:

Those games tend to end up being less swordfight simulators and more "oh my God am I a psychopath?" simulators

Gorn is both and amazing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nephzinho posted:

Specificall,y the issue many many people had was sort of "winding up" to swing the sword in one direction but then the game registered the wind up as a swing in the other direction. So if you want to swing left, you just kind of flick left. It led to a weird thing where people were trying to swing things like they would normally and the game did not understand the input even if it was supposed to be "1:1".

This was my main issue with the game. If you moved your hand slowly, you could sort of get a 1:1 esque motion of of the sword, or at least it felt that way. But then I'd go to swing the sword and move too fast on the wind up and the game punishes me for swinging the wrong way. Once I figured out it was doing that rather than assuming the poo poo was just broken, I switched to Wii style twitch waggling instead of actually swinging it like a sword, and it worked a lot better. I think it's just not possible do have a game like that without the external spacial reference that VR has.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The problem I have with motion controls as it relates to swordfighting is there isn't any way for the input to hard stop the controller if I hit something and it gets blocked, the controller's just going to keep going and then there could be a problem where I'm trying to get it back to the neutral position and the game interprets it as me trying to swing my sword in the opposite direction.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm not a psychopath, I'm just finding out how many pointy objects can be stuck inside a person until they ultimately expire. That's just science! :science:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Age of Calamity is $30 at Best Buy (and Amazon if in stock) for anyone like me who was interested but hadn't gotten it yet.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh drat it. My kids lost our copy so I had to buy another one (because I can't be without it, lol). About a week ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pigminted/status/1510963432048242690?s=21&t=jSBq_Lpi7KUltWvN19Ykrw

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I truly feel for parents of small children with these minuscule game/data cards.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Wind Waker was my first real Zelda. That's so cool.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

superjew posted:

I truly feel for parents of small children with these minuscule game/data cards.

Unlike 3DS carts and earlier, Nintendo Switch cartridges are flavored. It's the same stuff they put in some hand sanatizer. A toddler is not going to swallow it. Try sucking on your BotW cart, I dare you.

Unless you mean kids losing the games or putting them in like DVD players. That would totally happen.

e:

Heran Bago posted:

Finally caved and tasted a game. Switch cartridges are Denatrol® flavored. Specifically Denatonium Benzoate. You may have tasted it before after using some hand sanitizers or blowing these things:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 5, 2022

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Looking for Triforce Heroes partners. The game requires exactly one person or exactly three people to play (two players is impossible!!). Furthermore, the players must be in the same region: NA, Japan, or EU/AUS.

Anyway we have a group of 2 NA players and a group of 2 EU/AUS players. We're looking for 1 NA player and 1 EU/AUS player. Anyone interested?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Age of Calamity is $30 at Best Buy (and Amazon if in stock) for anyone like me who was interested but hadn't gotten it yet.

Thanks for this btw, I returned my recently purchased $50 copy to Walmart and picked up this one the other day. :capitalism:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Looking for Triforce Heroes partners. The game requires exactly one person or exactly three people to play (two players is impossible!!). Furthermore, the players must be in the same region: NA, Japan, or EU/AUS.

Anyway we have a group of 2 NA players and a group of 2 EU/AUS players. We're looking for 1 NA player and 1 EU/AUS player. Anyone interested?

, reads the weirdest craigslist sex ad ever written

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not even offering crab meat

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really wish they allowed online multiplayer for Age of Calamity. I'm not sure why it's not a thing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Hedrigall posted:

, reads the weirdest craigslist sex ad ever written

Hey, we're just trying to get two groups of exactly three people together for a good time :biglips:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really wish they allowed online multiplayer for Age of Calamity. I'm not sure why it's not a thing.

The Switch barely runs the game as it is, I don't think any sort of online experience would work out well.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
None of the multi-player online Nintendo experiences i've had have ever been even tolerable compared to single player or one-console/couch play. It was never a draw because that's not why I play Nintendo games, and these experiences were years ago, but still...

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 8, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wish the game ran better on Switch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm sorry for wishing things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How many enemies would you need to be able to render at once in order for both characters to have something to do? Or would you play co-op split up across the map and then just team up for bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BRJurgis posted:

None of the multi-player online Nintendo experiences i've had have ever been even tolerable compared to single player or one-console/couch play. It was never a draw because that's not why I play Nintendo games, and these experiences were years ago, but still...

You should Splatoon