Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The biggest advantage for me going from TOSLINK to ARC was that CEC actually works, whereas with optical it's pretty sketchy. You either don't get volume control or the tv remote turns up the internal speakers, or CEC barely works because the tv is expecting you to use ARC alongside it. I'm sure the experience is better on more premium TVs, but for stuff like TCL and Hisense that a lot of people end up buying now, optical is a pretty sad experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
eARC can mess things up too. If I use the Netflix app on my TV, it won't output sound to my receiver/speakers. I have to use the Netflix app on my XBox to get sound. From my research when I was setting stuff up, it seems like this may or may not be an issue to you depending on your equipment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Except that since the majority of video content is now served via smart TV apps, this is no longer really true. with eARC, it shouldn't matter as much which order you plug things in, however in reality having an extra layer of complexity between the source and the amplifier isn't ideal, provided the receiver has the ability to pass through content with the same capabilities that the TV can receive (HDR/4K120/8K60)

For a lot of people, HDMI 2.1 receivers still aren't available/affordable, so you might find a mix and match, or people using eARC/ARC exclusively and the TV as the source switcher so they can get their 4k120 game on.

2-3 HDMI inputs are probably enough for most people now.

The point of eARC is so that you can still go Source -> Receiver -> TV and get audio from TV apps.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m going to be the single voice of dissent here and say that there are quite a few 2-channel receivers with optical TOSlink inputs and sub outputs built in (Yamaha AS-xxx series, IOTAVX, etc).

and for those that don’t have onboard TOSlink, you can relatively easily get a DAC to handle that.

I agree that having HDMI is probably worth it for most normie users in most cases (obviously if I want to use my vintage gear I’m not going to be using it, but also I’m a weirdo hobbyist), but it’s not 100% the only way.

There are plenty of reasons why somebody would/should prefer to go with TOSlink+2.channel, or use an existing setup, and I wouldn’t be like “no scrap all that. You absolutely need HDMI”.

Even with certain older 5.1 channel setups, sometimes the most economical/sensible solution by far is to keep the existing receiver. The difference in available surround codec isn’t going to be hugely palpable to a lot of users.
I agree with most of your points (and still use that ~25yr old Yamaha AV receiver I mentioned with TOSLINK from a cheap TV), but for a new person looking to buy a single receiver with TV and potential game system involvement, I do think there's a lot more value in something like the $500 Costco Denon AVR S760H vs a similarly priced stereo integrated amp, even if they are admittedly not going to use all of the features the AV receiver has right now (who does?).

Maybe I'm stupid but I feel like the latter option is only a good rec to buy new when someone is really interested in standalone hi-fi/audiophile music setups. And even then, at this price point (and the associated speaker price point and likely attention to room set-up), I'd argue there's not much of a difference.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't forget that an AVR with room correction and a dedicated subwoofer output (with a proper crossover) makes it so much easier to properly integrate a subwoofer into your setup.

E: I know Audio Science Review likes to poo poo on the SINAD and absolute measured performance of AVRs, but I've never been able to tell a difference when compared to an ordinary stereo amp.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 7, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It just feels like you’re getting so much less amp per channel when you go for a 5.1 receiver vs a dedicated 2.1 model

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AVR manufacturers do tend to be a little more "creative" with their amplifier specs, stating things like "150 watts! (One channel driven at 1 kHz 10% THD for a nanosecond)" and similar bullshit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One of the HiFi magazines measured my ancient Pioneer AVR to 5x95W in 8 ohms, full range. I'm keeping it until it dies :v:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Question about the HDMI ports on these Denon AVR-S660H and S760H: There are 6 HDMI ports on the back but 3 are labeled 8k and 3 are labeled 4k. Am I right in thinking that the 8k ports are the only ones that are going to handle a 120hz picture (4k or 1080) while the other 3 are limited to 60hz? I have a PS5 which has some games that support 120hz and a PC hooked up to the TV that I like to run in VRR sometimes. Trying to determine if that leaves me with just 1 port for something else like an Xbox Series X.

I have a 5.1 setup and don't plan on adding to it. Looks like the main advantage the S760H has aside from additional speakers is the Dolby Atmos functionality. Is that worth $100? What I've read about it kinda sounds like flash over substance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jolo posted:

Question about the HDMI ports on these Denon AVR-S660H and S760H: There are 6 HDMI ports on the back but 3 are labeled 8k and 3 are labeled 4k. Am I right in thinking that the 8k ports are the only ones that are going to handle a 120hz picture (4k or 1080) while the other 3 are limited to 60hz? I have a PS5 which has some games that support 120hz and a PC hooked up to the TV that I like to run in VRR sometimes. Trying to determine if that leaves me with just 1 port for something else like an Xbox Series X.

I have a 5.1 setup and don't plan on adding to it. Looks like the main advantage the S760H has aside from additional speakers is the Dolby Atmos functionality. Is that worth $100? What I've read about it kinda sounds like flash over substance.

Atmos is 99% bullshit for dumb nerds but oftentimes those extra speaker outputs can be repurposed into Zone 2/etc.

That might be worth it if you ever decide to run a second or third pair of stereo speakers to like a second room/kitchen/outdoor space.

The fancier receivers will even let you do stuff like play content from one input device over one set of speakers and content from another input device over a second (so like if you’re playing Elden Ring on the Xbox in the living room while your cat listens to streaming music in the kitchen that’s being played off of the PS5, or whatever)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jolo posted:

I am pretty sure that's exactly what it is. Those 3 hdmi ports being 8k60 / 4k120 (hdmi 2.1 with the full 40gbs) with the other 3 being 4k60 (hdmi 2.0)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 7, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ok Comboomer posted:

those extra speaker outputs can be repurposed into Zone 2/etc.

That might be worth it if you ever decide to run a second or third pair of stereo speakers to like a second room/kitchen/outdoor space.

I have a feeling "Zone 2" will be the next feature to be removed from the next generation of AVR products.

I think most people these days would prefer to just hook their phone up to a portable bluetooth boom box of some sort, for use on the patio/kitchen/whatever. Smart speakers are all the rage now and it seems like nobody cares about stereo sound any more. (Well, not that you'd get very good directional audio from in-ceiling outdoor speakers anyway...)

I bet you the phone is the primary audio and video source for 90% of consumers. For those people, trying to control the output selector on the AVR from another room is more or less the same amount of effort as just lugging their Echo or Homepod with them to the kitchen/patio/basement.

Edit: Who am I kidding, of course it's the other way around. They have the AVR in the basement and the Homepod in the living room!

Grrrr.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Multi zone stuff is all feature gated to not actually work like people want because all the electronics companies also sell whole home stuff that costs double or triple their AVRs and those customers aren't as sensitive. Stuff like Airplay is kind of breaking that down and Dante at the pro level so it's only going to continue getting more network-centric.

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
Trying to re-create an old home theater system I used to own 10 years ago. Mostly for gaming & movies. Wanted to ask for some advice on what speakers to go with.

OLD SYSTEM

Speakers: Polk RTI4 speakers front and surround

Sub: Energy S10.3

Receiver: Denon 7.1 (don't remember the model but it was a mid range)

NEW SYSTEM

Receiver: Denon S760H (already ordered)

Sub: Dayton Audio SUB-1200 (already ordered)

Speakers I'm considering:

Fluance Signature Hi-Fi

Elac BS41

Jamos S803

I prefer to use the same speakers for front and surround. Leaning towards the Fluance now, as they seem to be well reviewed and are available. Possibly Jamos but reviewers talk about mid range lacking somewhat. This has me worrying about voices/vocals not being heard. I didn't use a center channel with the old system and never had an issue with hearing voices.

Any other speakers around $200 I should consider?

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Leo posted:

I need some help with my first A/V system-- was thinking about getting a pair of Triangle Borea BR08 and a good receiver to match up with my Samsung QN90A. I'm limited on space and can't add other speakers (may add a sub later).

Is this a pretty good set up for TV & music?

Update: the Triangles are incredible-- some of the highest impact $ I've spent in a long time. I need to find the right sub, but so far I'm loving this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Leo posted:

Update: the Triangles are incredible-- some of the highest impact $ I've spent in a long time. I need to find the right sub, but so far I'm loving this.

Everything I've heard about those Boreas makes it sound like they are a great value. The last time I was speaker shopping my local shop demoed me whatever Triangle's earlier entry level line was and I remember liking it a lot

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Just got a Denon S660H and everything is working great. The PS5 has an audio format priority setting and it defaults to Linear PCM with options for Dolby or DTS. Should I leave this on Linear or use a different option? One of the workarounds we had to do to unfuck the Hulu audio when using ARC with our older receiver was to set the TV from passthrough to Linear PCM which ended up simplifying the audio down to 2 channels. Linear PCM with the new receiver through the PS5 still uses all 5.1 channels on a couple of test movies.

I found a reddit thread that mentioned using Linear PCM in the PS5 and then set the Bluray setting to Dolby Bitstream and things would sound better. Any advice on this?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jolo posted:

Just got a Denon S660H and everything is working great. The PS5 has an audio format priority setting and it defaults to Linear PCM with options for Dolby or DTS. Should I leave this on Linear or use a different option? One of the workarounds we had to do to unfuck the Hulu audio when using ARC with our older receiver was to set the TV from passthrough to Linear PCM which ended up simplifying the audio down to 2 channels. Linear PCM with the new receiver through the PS5 still uses all 5.1 channels on a couple of test movies.

I found a reddit thread that mentioned using Linear PCM in the PS5 and then set the Bluray setting to Dolby Bitstream and things would sound better. Any advice on this?

Leave it on Linear PCM. idk about the blu-ray setting, but I don't think it would make things sound better.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There’s probably some old timey bass management concerns bound up in that which might no longer be relevant

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Leave it on Linear PCM. idk about the blu-ray setting, but I don't think it would make things sound better.
Everything in my chain of devices is set to PCM (TV, ARC Setting, PS5) and my ol receiver registers it as stereo 2.0

This is going to itch at me until I break down and get that Costco Denon.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Everything in my chain of devices is set to PCM (TV, ARC Setting, PS5) and my ol receiver registers it as stereo 2.0

This is going to itch at me until I break down and get that Costco Denon.

This was what got me to buy a new one. Using ARC on my PS5 and PC, the PC was limited to stereo no matter what I set on the tv or the PC. PS5 did 5.1 for some things but 2.0 on others, Blurays, Hulu, were stuck in stereo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My TV flanked by two floorstanding speakers, and this setup is in turn flanked by two floor lamps.

I’m trying to squeeze in a subwoofer. I can’t fit them beside the speakers because of the lamps.

Would it be fine to put it between the lamp and my couch? To visualize: my couch is at the 6 o’clock position and my TV is at the 12 o’clock. The sub would be at the 2 o’clock.

I can’t find any literature on whether this in-between position works. Everyone seems to have it in the same row as the TV and left/right speakers.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Should be ok. Sub placement is much more flexible than anything else, and while there are optimal places to put them, it has more to do with your particular room and the rest of your setup than anything else. Try it there, run your receiver's auto calibration, and if it sounds ok from the couch you're good. If you're not sure, you can try anywhere else that's feasible to compare.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Vegetable posted:

Everyone seems to have it in the same row as the TV and left/right speakers.

I'd always heard this is wrong and it should stash in some corner to be out of sight and so sound waves can bounce off of things.

I always do this and tuck it next to a couch and it could double as or be under a coffee table.

But I also prefer to hide such things.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

falz posted:

I'd always heard this is wrong and it should stash in some corner to be out of sight and so sound waves can bounce off of things.

I always do this and tuck it next to a couch and it could double as or be under a coffee table.

But I also prefer to hide such things.

It’s much more complex than that as well; corners can make them sound louder but introduce other issues. The insane and annoying “put sub at your listening position and then walk around to see where it sounds best” is the gold standard

Really they’re very room dependent

Mine is in the front right of my system in a corner for the record

Audyssey et al can also cover many placement sins

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
If an audio track shows up as 5.1ch E-AC-3 JOC, I think it is considered Atmos. But does that mean there is no height channel information due to it being 5.1ch?

Secx fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 18, 2022

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm dealing with a weird audio sales guy who steadfastly refuses to up sell products to me. Like he originally suggested I should only get a receiver with 4k support not 8k. I had to argue with him a bit that I did actually need 4k/120hz before he agreed. Same with the subwoofer. He keeps saying I should go with the cheaper KEF instead of the more expensive SVS I mentioned because I won't notice the difference.

Or is this normal?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

I'm dealing with a weird audio sales guy who steadfastly refuses to up sell products to me. Like he originally suggested I should only get a receiver with 4k support not 8k. I had to argue with him a bit that I did actually need 4k/120hz before he agreed. Same with the subwoofer. He keeps saying I should go with the cheaper KEF instead of the more expensive SVS I mentioned because I won't notice the difference.

Or is this normal?
He's trying to sell you the stuff that makes him the most money, probably via a manufacturer incentive or things his boss told him they need to get out of inventory. The only KEF sub I've ever heard anyone actually like is the new KC62 which if you're buying an SVS more expensive than that is in a whole different class. Are you trying to put a PB-3000 in your bedroom?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He suggested the KEF12b over the SB1000 and SB2000. This is for a 3.1 setup in a 6mx6m room.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

He suggested the KEF12b over the SB1000 and SB2000. This is for a 3.1 setup in a 6mx6m room.

I'd be looking at a ported sub for a room that size. From SVS :v:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's the difference between a ported sub and sealed sub?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

From the few posts / data charts I have found, the 12b is actually pretty good. The people that have demoed both in home seem to prefer the 12b over the SVS. Does the place you are buying from let you do that?

The SVS has much nicer features though, like the app and more connections on the back while the Kef is pretty basic.

V for Vegas posted:

What's the difference between a ported sub and sealed sub?

Basically the sealed subs tend to be faster and more accurate while the ported subs tend to play louder and lower. Ported subs have their lower frequency roll off much faster in terms of dB output too while it's not as stark of a drop on sealed subs.
But both of these only seem to be true until a certain price point because once you get to ported subs that cost 1500 or 2000+ dollars, then both of them are pretty close in terms of speed and accuracy.

A rough tldr is sealed subs for music, ported subs for home theater / playing as deep as possible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 19, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

How good a sub of mostly similar driver size or design sounds is much more dependent on your room and where you put it than anything else. It sounds like you're in Europe where the value on SVS might not be as good as here in the states. That said app control when you're setting stuff up sounds like a dream compared to all the hand tweaking I had to do. That's a pretty big space so maybe buy a smaller one now and add another later?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I can't find the 12b data I looked at before, but even glancing at this compiled chart of subwoofers from ASR shows that the Kef 10b plays louder at lower frequencies than the SB-1000, which is impressive considering it's 10 inches vs 12. I'm sure the 12b does even better.

You mentioned the Kef is cheaper and he's probably right that you won't notice the difference. I don't think either option will be bad though so it comes down to your use case, budget and whether you want to get another sub later(you should for your big room).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sealed subs are pretty much always going to be smaller than an equivalent ported sub also, if you're ever in a position where space is at a real premium. SVS 16" the ported is over twice the size (by volume) of the sealed sub.

I've got a sealed Infinity 12" that you can tuck away almost anywhere but my ported SVS 13" are loving monsters. There's also no contest in terms of output though, the SVS will make you feel like you're having heart palpitations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Since we're on subchat, thoughts on SVS pc-2000 (pro) etc. trash can style vs sealed or ported cubes? I'm in no way in my forever house yet and the flexibility in terms of sound (ported with optional inserts) and placement is really appealing to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Since we're on subchat, thoughts on SVS pc-2000 (pro) etc. trash can style vs sealed or ported cubes? I'm in no way in my forever house yet and the flexibility in terms of sound (ported with optional inserts) and placement is really appealing to me.

If size isn't an issue, then the ported with plugs seems like the best choice. Gives you the most options in terms of output and bass roll off.

I don't know much about the difference between the trash can cylinders vs cubes though. I assume it would be just to get the same volume(size) but with a smaller footprint while just using more vertical space instead.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My friend has had one of their similar older models for years and loves it for the price/footprint, and it sounds good to me. Kind of a way to get a ported sub with a sealed sub footprint.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Quoting for relevance, the day they got delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Please don't make fun of my carpet.