Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i was gonna say, i've got a functionally-complete PDF only missing page references and maybe a few blank spaces that should have art in them, and that was delivered four months ago
Any major work on the weirder mechanics quirks like the pre and post character creation xp stuff and the path of invincible feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That's good to hear! I missed the KS, so I've got to wait for it to hit my FLGS. Sounds like it's four months out or so.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Splicer posted:

Any major work on the weirder mechanics quirks like the pre and post character creation xp stuff and the path of invincible feet?

couldn't tell you, i haven't actually run a campaign yet and waited until the version i currently have to do a once-through of the rules, which itself was some time ago

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whfrp 2e question: is it just a constant festival of players failing rolls and dying horribly

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Whfrp 2e question: is it just a constant festival of players failing rolls and dying horribly

If your players don't try and get situational bonuses to their rolls, yep. At least until they've been down a career or two and had the chance to pick up masteries.

You can become obscenely effective, but you really need to specialize. I had a character that was a barber surgeon at the start and where we stopped had a functional 120 or so in medicine. I coulda been doing brain surgery in a sewer and had good odds of a success.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

sebmojo posted:

It will seem like that until they survive into a few upgrades, yes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also they need to save their fate points for "this failed roll will kill me" situations (which come up a lot) and that means they won't want to use them for anything else. But it ought to also at least somewhat prevent the dying horribly part. Are your players wasting them on like, missed crossbow shots?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is there a Youtube-channel that reviews new rpg-releases on a regular schedule? The only thing I could find is Dicebreaker, so that's maybe it?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
C.A. Berlitz does a weekly round up of what's new in indie RPGs, although the sheer quantity of indie releases means he's always going to miss more than he catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caberlitz

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Well, if you look at Breakfast Cult by famed author Paul Ettin, which is completely unrelated to the contest entry former forum moderator Ettin made for a contest several years ago-

But seriously, off-hand Breakfast Cult hits all of my requirements for what a good implementation of Fate should do. It has a good, tight hook, it adds something mechanically, and it has stunts that are actually interesting and not "you get +1 to X". There's probably less SA-related third party examples, but I haven't thought too hard about Fate games in a while. If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to add them.

Really pleased to hear this, but I'd feel bad if I didn't add that a lot of what I do with stunts I learned from Atomic Robo :eng101:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

potatocubed posted:

C.A. Berlitz does a weekly round up of what's new in indie RPGs, although the sheer quantity of indie releases means he's always going to miss more than he catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caberlitz

Any chance of a text version of the list?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think the linked above tried to make CaBerlitz a video reference instead of a username. The indie news list is https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJYI-cS8Ki3nCoK_1nrRg8SwYwmE293hP.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone have opinions on Vampire: Rivals? My lgs bought in with the expansion and in kind of curious if it catches any of the Jyhad fun

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Vampire: Rivals? My lgs bought in with the expansion and in kind of curious if it catches any of the Jyhad fun

It does! Four players are still probably the preferred amount but you can have fun with just two players, although admittedly that's based on which clan. Malkavians use a lot of the Conspiracy mechanic which means you probably want more than two players. My experience is still limited so I'm not sure about the ones outside the core.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I haven't played it, but I had a question about Rivals in the old board game thread where I was trying to tease out if certain players can get an advantage based on which rival they get, seating and their strategy. This is the post if you're bored. I played a buncha V:TES back in the day, and the predator-prey mechanism is so key to that it's so hard to imagine a follow-up game without it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's some new technical information about the new Marvel role-playing game.

Wow, there's a special Marvel die?! And it has a special symbol instead of the 1? And the special critical is 616?

It's got a lot of crunch you'd like, such as Spiderman's Spider-Powers:
  • Jump 1
  • Mighty 1
  • Spider-Dodge
  • Spider-Sense
  • Spider-Strike
  • Wallcrawling
  • Webcasting
  • Webgliding
  • Webgrabbing
  • Webslinging
  • Webtrapping

Whatever would you do if you didn't have Webslinging AND Webgrabbing?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's some new technical information about the new Marvel role-playing game.

Wow, there's a special Marvel die?! And it has a special symbol instead of the 1? And the special critical is 616?

It's got a lot of crunch you'd like, such as Spiderman's Spider-Powers:
  • Jump 1
  • Mighty 1
  • Spider-Dodge
  • Spider-Sense
  • Spider-Strike
  • Wallcrawling
  • Webcasting
  • Webgliding
  • Webgrabbing
  • Webslinging
  • Webtrapping

Whatever would you do if you didn't have Webslinging AND Webgrabbing?

Fall?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i guess webslinging could be that thing where he shoots a load to stick some guy's gun hand to the wall?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

redleader posted:

i guess webslinging could be that thing where he shoots a load to stick some guy's gun hand to the wall?

whoa we're shooting loads in this game? Sign me the gently caress up.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
"Webcasting"? Spider-man got his powers from internet radio? ;)

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I want my spider superhero to have Web Grabbing but I absolutely do not want Web Trapping. Looks like this game's got me covered!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
What is the “state of the art” with superhero RPGs now? I can only think of Sentinel Comics and Masks, given that both Ascendent and Champions Now appear to have disappeared.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh good, Spider Man has better Ranged damage because he has a high Agility.

You know how he never gets into melee, and always just shoots web pellets or something, and never throws a punch because it's worse?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He should probably have higher resilience. No mere Mortal can survive having bricks thrown at his head as often as Spidey

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dwarf74 posted:

Oh good, Spider Man has better Ranged damage because he has a high Agility.
If there's one thing I know about spiderman it's that he mainly uses his webs to injure people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Something something gwen stacy

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

hyphz posted:

What is the “state of the art” with superhero RPGs now? I can only think of Sentinel Comics and Masks, given that both Ascendent and Champions Now appear to have disappeared.

Superhero games are getting more focused, so it's more difficult to pick out SOTA candidates. Like, Masks is very good at Teen Drama Superheroes but not so good for other things. Sentinel Comics is great for structured action (and has phenomenal character generation) but if you want some drama to go in there then you need the players to bring it themselves because there's no mechanical support.

As for others, I've heard good things about Anyone Can Wear The Mask but I've not played it. There are a collection of games in what's called The Superhero Cinematic Universe RPG which I love as a concept: several different one-shots that build on each other as you go. Spectaculars is fantastic for generating a superhero setting as you play although the game system all the good stuff is wrapped around kind of sucks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

He should probably have higher resilience. No mere Mortal can survive having bricks thrown at his head as often as Spidey

On the other hand...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
...Tom Whedon isn't related to Joss is he

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A group of Spider-Men is called a webcast.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...Tom Whedon isn't related to Joss is he

Yep. His dad.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Some other notable things...

So your modifier is 7+(stat) and the target number is 18+(stat). Presumably this is because you're rolling 3d6 with approximately an 11 average. So hitting your own number is just under 50% - more once you adjust for that marvel crit die. Strongly center weighted as 3d6 tends to be - and if there's one thing I know about superheroes it's that underdogs never win.

Now, why is it 7+ stat and 18+ stat instead of just stat and 11+stat? No idea! Maybe there's a reason.

This feels so loving 90's design.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's also just the D&D stats. At least they put some effort into making a joke with the acronym.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

dwarf74 posted:

So your modifier is 7+(stat) and the target number is 18+(stat). Presumably this is because you're rolling 3d6 with approximately an 11 average. So hitting your own number is just under 50% - more once you adjust for that marvel crit die. Strongly center weighted as 3d6 tends to be - and if there's one thing I know about superheroes it's that underdogs never win.

Now, why is it 7+ stat and 18+ stat instead of just stat and 11+stat? No idea! Maybe there's a reason.

Are we not even doing to discuss the madness of the 5.3333333 foot square implicit in "Speed: 32 (6 spaces)"?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GimpInBlack posted:

Are we not even doing to discuss the madness of the 5.3333333 foot square implicit in "Speed: 32 (6 spaces)"?

I'm betting it's something like "exact speed matters for determining initiative, but it's rounded down to the nearest multiple of five for determining how many spaces of movement".

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

dwarf74 posted:

My best guess is that it's 7 + stat because Spider-Man here is level 7.

That's why his attacks have a +14 damage calculation in them too -- 3d6 + [2 x level] + stat

Like, this is terrible game design and I would have thought that anyone designing an RPG here in 2022 would know better, but... every other part of this game also looks like garbage, so.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

potatocubed posted:

My best guess is that it's 7 + stat because Spider-Man here is level 7.

That's why his attacks have a +14 damage calculation in them too -- 3d6 + [2 x level] + stat

Like, this is terrible game design and I would have thought that anyone designing an RPG here in 2022 would know better, but... every other part of this game also looks like garbage, so.
Oh god you're right. Levels in a superhero game. Just amazing. Just... Marvelous.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

dwarf74 posted:

Just... Marvelous.

lol

This will sound like a shitpost especially given my history but the best superhero game I've interacted with is...Dungeon World. A lot of the weird bespoke mages that fans have made are fantastic as superheroes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dwarf74 posted:

Oh god you're right. Levels in a superhero game. Just amazing. Just... Marvelous.
What's the beef with levels in a superhero game as a concept? There's a million ways they can gently caress it up but assuming you're making a superhero game with some form of progression mechanics why not include levels?

For example, Mutants and Masterminds mixes point buy and levels, in that your character has a point cost and a "campaign power level". The power level caps how high you can raise powers and abilities, but does not limit how many points you can have. So you can have a Silver Age X-Men game where everyone has a singular gimmick but are otherwise just (very tough, fit, good looking) people by giving them 10X points and setting the power limit at 5. Then as the game progresses you can give them more points to have them unlock more powers while keeping the game "street level", or you can also raise the campaign level to lend mechanical weight should they start "graduating" to world- or cosmic-level threats. As happens in comics all the time. Or you can launch straight into a Justice League cosmic-tier game at power level 15, or set the cap at 20 and Fletcher Hanks it.

This is a good use of "Levels" in a superhero game, except M&M hosed it up by... well they hosed up in a bunch of places but the big one was that the power level was a cap rather than a flat bonus, so if this game just completely ripped off Mutants and Masterminds except that your "level" is a flat bonus to all your to-hits and dodges and stuff it would be a flat improvement.

e: Don't get me wrong it's probably just going to be "gain XP -> go up a level -> now you're a level 10 Non-Flying Brick gain Grimm's Stoney Flesh 3/day", but in principle.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'm betting it's something like "exact speed matters for determining initiative, but it's rounded down to the nearest multiple of five for determining how many spaces of movement".
Looks like it rounds to the nearest 5, check out "Swingline Speed 64 (13)"