Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fangz posted:

Does lain count as a vtuber

i think she'd just be like....the tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's all post about Lain

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the most unique voices to ever grace music and his early death was an absolute tragedy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
vt*ber

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chiaki j konaka's magnum opus. thats right, the character that was based on him in niea_7

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I love lain down and going to sleep

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Homeless Friend posted:

I love lain down and going to sleep

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lain has BeOS references in it which dates it pretty hard
The entire loving series is full of references to technology, books, philosophy and a bunch of other stuff.

Here's a list of the stuff I remember, but there's bound to be more:
Cyberia the nightclub is named after the novel (and the series borrows heavily from the book), Lain's first PC is based off an 20th anniversary Machintosh, Copland OS is named after an OS Apple made, Tachibana is a type of apple, Knights of the Lambda Calculus are a real group of Lisp hackers (which is also the language Lain writes in), Protocol 7 is a reference to the 7-layer OSI model and Timothy Leary's 7-layer consciousness model, the government agents are based off Snow Crash, and one of the episodes is about a real conspiracy involving Roswell in 1947 and The Majestic 12.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

actually zet heavy

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

me reading this thread:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I am still using this phone, and it still has that background

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Time to upgrade bro

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

phone still works

:shrug:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

me reading this thread:

[x]

copy
Jul 26, 2007

bisque doll avoid shoujo pacing problems imo because the characters are about more than their relationship with each other. the story doesnt feel like a its just a count-down to confession when you have gojo learning new fun crafts and opening up and marin fangirling when she meets new cosplayers to learn from

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marumaru posted:

lmao i just learned corporate vt*bers are a thing, because of course they are
netflix's is called poop, apparently

almost all of the popular ones work for an idol company supposedly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

copy posted:

bisque doll avoid shoujo pacing problems imo because the characters are about more than their relationship with each other. the story doesnt feel like a its just a count-down to confession when you have gojo learning new fun crafts and opening up and marin fangirling when she meets new cosplayers to learn from

it's been fine so far i just managed to give myself a complex about it in the few months I've been reading manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larry Parrish posted:

Just want to say this mostly isn't true.

But also can we stop talking about v-tubers please?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
i love to contribute to discussion with words like apparently and supposedly so i can spread rumors about topics i barely know with no accountability

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

i love to contribute to discussion with words like apparently and supposedly so i can spread rumors about topics i barely know with no accountability

me too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

apparently

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm erm..A normal person.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I, am not.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of Serial Experiments Lain at the height of its fandom, someone was working on lainOS, based on a fork of FreeBSD with a custom display manager and window manager themed around Copland OS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

idols own, so good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of Serial Experiments Lain at the height of its fandom, someone was working on lainOS, based on a fork of FreeBSD with a custom display manager and window manager themed around Copland OS.

Someone was also trying to do that for AltimitOS lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strange Quark posted:

do you have a source for that

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

squark knows what she likes

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Julias posted:

Just want to say this mostly isn't true.

The part about almost all of the popular ones working for it, or the part about it being an idol company?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

The part about almost all of the popular ones working for it, or the part about it being an idol company?

There are a lot of agencies and also Indies.

Just like Idols.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There is a total of 1 big group that markets itself as an idol company. While they are quite popular, it would be pretty inaccurate to say that most all popular vtubers work for an idol company

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Some streamers are all on their own, work out of their apartment/home.

Some have signed contracts to work for a formal company, with C-suite officers and all sorts of legal stuff.

Some banded together to form a co-op of some kind and control their own brands.

Some retain rights to characters, some are assigned new characters, some basically just hired hands getting a salary/commission and will have nothing if they quit.

It's a complicated scenario where the ultimate goal is to drive revenue in the form of tips from a 99% male audience, or equally a 13-17 core demo in terms of raw numbers.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vtubers: not even once.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

Some streamers are all on their own, work out of their apartment/home.

Some have signed contracts to work for a formal company, with C-suite officers and all sorts of legal stuff.

Some banded together to form a co-op of some kind and control their own brands.

Some retain rights to characters, some are assigned new characters, some basically just hired hands getting a salary/commission and will have nothing if they quit.

It's a complicated scenario where the ultimate goal is to drive revenue in the form of tips from a 99% male audience, or equally a 13-17 core demo in terms of raw numbers.

jerma is all of these at once

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

kirbysuperstar posted:

jerma is all of these at once

hes the best

Retro Hippy
Feb 8, 2022

pentyne posted:

Vox is one of the most popular EN 'tubers at this point and as far as I can tell his fanbase is 80-90% women

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like anime.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005