Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hey now, he is legit case law. But also now legally forever associated with SA and thus shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

See, that's funny. It says here that you're a moderator on the somethingawful forums. But how can that be if there are no mods and no masters? Maybe you can help me clear this up and I'll get out of your hair.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Scarodactyl posted:

See, that's funny. It says here that you're a moderator on the somethingawful forums. But how can that be if there are no mods and no masters? Maybe you can help me clear this up and I'll get out of your hair.

I was talking to a friend and whinging that SA kept getting DDOS'd for the last couple days. (I wanted to link a picture of tooth decay from pyf cursed images)

Who could give a gently caress about this dead gay website?

Yada yada yada, remember Sean Smith.

He was like, yeah you told me.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The new FYAD title is pretty funny

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Outrail posted:

Lol imagine banning this post and thinking you're good at modding.
That's kind of a throwback to the days when posting pants making GBS threads threads in GBS was enough of an epidemic that they made it a bannable offense.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

Lol imagine banning this post and thinking you're good at modding.

There was a period where there were so many threads about pants making GBS threads in GBS it became a meme and, in typical goon fashion, got driven into the ground so hard the mods got real tired of it. It was a weird time.

Edit: lol typed too slow. Anyway this is how the original ;awesome; smiley (:imunfunny:) got replaced with :awesome:.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like with banning for open drunkposting or not using the shift key, it's one of those things that seems innocuous now but you gotta realise back in the 00s you had to ban on sight or the forum would be completely overwhelmed by it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The harshness in the aughts is what got us here and/or kept us here still posting on a dead gay comedy forum because just about everywhere else on the internet has been a loving trash fire for at least a decade.

And this thread is an edifice to that.

(And the SA Sagas thread that's been in timeout since the beginning of the year.)

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Apr 17, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

"For indeed it is well said, 'in every object there is inexhaustible meaning; the eye sees in it what the eye brings means of seeing.'"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How does that Kaon go? If you meet the golden goose on the road, kill it?

Invisible Clergy posted:

If your car has petrol, I will give it to you; if your car lacks it, I will demand you pay for it.

Quackles posted:

It is a traffic koan.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Perestroika posted:

Ah, an ultrawide monitor.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

FFT posted:

(And the SA Sagas thread that's been in timeout since the beginning of the year.)

I think the mods just took that toy away from us eventually.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There was a period where there were so many threads about pants making GBS threads in GBS it became a meme and, in typical goon fashion, got driven into the ground so hard the mods got real tired of it. It was a weird time.

Edit: lol typed too slow. Anyway this is how the original ;awesome; smiley (:imunfunny:) got replaced with :awesome:.

The :imunfunny: smiley still triggers a repulsive reflex in me because prior to getting changed to :awesome: it was in every single god drat post, and that was even before it took off on the wider internet and got absorbed by Reddit memes. I don't think it originated with SA but boy howdy did we ever pioneer its overuse.

In fact, if I remember right, user KittyLitter had what was evidently a reasonably successful business making Something Awful emoticon pins and had something of a public meltdown when the icon was changed since that was one of their better selling pins at the time

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

FFT posted:

I still want to know which mod gassed the PYF sagas thread that was actually about sagas

because lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

I think the mods just took that toy away from us eventually.

they cannot handle the sheer Content those threads generate

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

At a certain point, they become an uncontrollable self-sustaining saga generator themselves, and must be shut down before their feedback loop becomes powerful enough to destroy the rest of the forums

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

The Fattest PI posted:

one time I emailed a school board about a redpill dude who was a teacher and talked about raping his students

Sanford posted:

Hah I did this with a guy in the UK who posted more than once about being able to see up girls skirts as they come down the stairs next to his office, and repositioning his desk for a better view. Where was he posting this you wonder, often enough that I noticed it? Why a Warhammer 40,000 subreddit of course.

evilpicard posted:

We had made this a felony in Canada because apparently there's a lot of people using "one weird trick" to be a perv

gently caress SNEEP posted:

posting in the warhammer 40k subreddit is a felony? good on you, canada

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Excuse me, but my monitor is turned on.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Captain Hygiene posted:

At a certain point, they become an uncontrollable self-sustaining saga generator themselves, and must be shut down before their feedback loop becomes powerful enough to destroy the rest of the forums

The burden of being the thread-about-the-forums means that it tends to invite commentary about ongoing drama and all of the bile surrounding that drama tends to accumulate there, much as a QCS in miniature. So the Sagas thread tends to devolve into spats, and they seem to have gotten a lot more frequent ever since the insanely stupid interforums grudges have ramped up in the last two or three years.

I don't know whether or not the Sagas thread (or one that fulfills a similar role) should or shouldn't exist, or whether it's compatible with a healthy forums atmosphere, but it was a good way to get a pulse on the general attitude of the place without having to try and pry open the QCS weevil nest well after a thread made two hours ago has already hit its 15th page.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I just liked being able to see QCS style drama and bickering any time.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

While we're talking about forums drama: how did Koos end up a mod after purchasing 229 accounts and having them all permabanned. Did he get enough loyalty card stamps or some poo poo?

This is not the place to ask this but the other option was FYAD where I would likely be punished more severely and without getting an actual answer

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

From a mod perspective, having a sagas thread that doesn't instantly devolve into horrible garbage and helldumping in search of "drama" takes a lot more effort than we're able to give. I'm not saying there'll never be a sagas thread, but not right now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

i mean it could be that, or it could be that the last iteration of the thread was an insane cesspool of unpunished transphobia because the mods all took stupid pills that week or something, who can say

it was the latter, the thread wasn’t even talking about current drama when it got shut down. come the gently caress on

E: absolutely quoted the wrong post here where the hell is my coffee get off my lawn arghgh

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Apr 17, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

While we're talking about forums drama: how did Koos end up a mod after purchasing 229 accounts and having them all permabanned. Did he get enough loyalty card stamps or some poo poo?

This is not the place to ask this but the other option was FYAD where I would likely be punished more severely and without getting an actual answer

Sometimes it's better to have someone inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rockman Reserve posted:

i mean it could be that, or it could be that the last iteration of the thread was an insane cesspool of unpunished transphobia because the mods all took stupid pills that week or something, who can say

it was the latter, the thread wasn’t even talking about current drama when it got shut down. come the gently caress on

That was just a joke about the saga threads in general, I forgot what even shut down the latest iteration. That one turned into a weirdly lovely garbage fire, I just didn't remember it specifically.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was just a joke about the saga threads in general, I forgot what even shut down the latest iteration. That one turned into a weirdly lovely garbage fire, I just didn't remember it specifically.

it was honestly super gross and the way it was handled killed my desire to post in or read pyf entirely for a while

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I used the Sagas thread to get probated for posting while intoxicated, as it was basically a chat thread with a lot of mods.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never even read it but I knew it was a huge garbage fire because some goons who posted in a thread in another subforum I was reading kept disappearing because they were getting probed over drama from that thread every few days

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I never even read it but I knew it was a huge garbage fire because some goons who posted in a thread in another subforum I was reading kept disappearing because they were getting probed over drama from that thread every few days
It's always funny to be reading a thread and running across the fallout of an absolute massacre in a completely different sub.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Outrail posted:

Sometimes it's better to have someone inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in.

He is modding D&D which is arguably a punishment

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

are you perhaps mixing koos up with another poster here

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I wanna see that guy's spreadsheet

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Rockman Reserve posted:

E: absolutely quoted the wrong post here where the hell is my coffee get off my lawn arghgh

That was the specific thing that got the last one shut down, but the thread as a proxy battleground for sniping posting enemies has been a problem for a long time. The most recent incident was just the cap on it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

No but I wish I knew who you were alluding to

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm not alluding to anyone. i know seraph and dare etc keep getting permabanned dozens of times and tbh i probably wouldn't put it past forums administration to make them mods, but i'm pretty sure they're different people from koos

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

No but I wish I knew who you were alluding to

Kyoon??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Kyoon was the unmedicated schizophrenic from 2007.

Koos is the FYAD mod turned D&D mod, which I can understand people being curious about because that's an unusual career path

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Philippe posted:

From a mod perspective, having a sagas thread that doesn't instantly devolve into horrible garbage and helldumping in search of "drama" takes a lot more effort than we're able to give. I'm not saying there'll never be a sagas thread, but not right now.

Except it was only ever like 1-2 people who went on a threadshitting tear because the pyf mods checked out of watching their forum for 2-3 days at a time.

Somehow the thread able to last ~7 years and get goldmined 2-3 times got to be "too much" when completely unmoderated, shocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

pentyne posted:

Except it was only ever like 1-2 people who went on a threadshitting tear because the pyf mods checked out of watching their forum for 2-3 days at a time.

Somehow the thread able to last ~7 years and get goldmined 2-3 times got to be "too much" when completely unmoderated, shocker.

was it you who put together the OP of that iteration, cuz it was really well done

RIP