Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Epic High Five posted:

One thing I'd like to see in future debates if they happen, and I pray that they do not, is a segment where participants are asked questions like "Would $5 be enough to buy a carton of eggs?" and "What is the average rent where you live/in your district" just because I'm absolutely confident that the answers would be hilarious

I believe this or something similar was asked in the 1992 general election debates, and Clinton being able to answer was a big moment for his candidacy, vs the two billionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
They asked the NYC mayoral candidates how much a median house in Brooklyn cost and it was pretty funny so they should definitely do it.

https://slate.com/business/2021/05/shaun-donovan-ray-mcguire-nyc-mayor-brooklyn-homes-new-york-times.html

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One debate being Price is Right would be pretty good because we get to see (mostly) elderly people try to spin the wheel and Drew needs to go over and help them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

A hit piece was deployed in Politico with the backing of the food industry to reorganize the FDA. This is a really loving big deal, and a bunch of senators from both parties are making noise about restructuring the agency (or even splitting part of it off) before the end of the year.

The Washington Post employee union released a report alleging, among other things, a systematic failure to protect minority employees.

Puerto Rico(perhaps you have forgotten them) has just formally exited bankruptcy....and there is now a massive, unexplained power outage affecting large parts of the island, as its electric utility enters separate bankruptcy negotiations.

All of these are terrible events. I agree that it's a shame we didn't discuss them more. What if they have some kind of common root cause? Some sort of shared set of conditions which lead to these situations. Wouldn't that be a good topic for the current events thread

Is there anything any of us can do here besides leave our senators voicemails about the FDA thing? It's so hosed when companies take their big balls of money and use them for political leverage.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 18, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

All of these are terrible events. I agree that it's a shame we didn't discuss them more. What if they have some kind of common root cause? Some sort of shared set of conditions which lead to these situations. Wouldn't that be a good topic for the current events thread

Is there anything any of us can do here besides leave our senators voicemails about the FDA thing? It's so hosed when companies take their big balls of money and use them for political leverage.

If you want to propose that all current events have some root systemic cause, and constantly drag all current event discussion back to that root cause, then that might be better suited to its own thread. That way, people can discuss current events in the current events thread, and they can discuss your unified theory of politics in a thread about the total reform of our entire political system.

Otherwise, we're just repeating the USPol mistake of lumping together all US politics discussion into a single thread so that a few posters' larger ideological theories are constantly drowning out discussion of day-to-day political events.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Washington Post employee union released a report alleging, among other things, a systematic failure to protect minority employees.

An excellent demonstration that just hiring more black reporters isn't going to fix things if the company culture itself is still hostile and discriminatory. Wish this would put an end to "pipeline problem" theories that it's just a matter of a lack of black employees.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 18, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ages ago as part of a political science course I was taking in college (around 2006, I wanna say?) I went to a townhall thing with the local city council candidates. One of the two questions asked that really made an impression on me was that some of them were asked about the prices of some common household things and seeing how badly some of them fumbled such simple questions was very illuminating.

The other question that made an impression on me was whether or not it should be illegal to discriminate against gay people and because this happened at a time before most dems were cool with gay people, the only person who outright said that such discrimination should be illegal was a guy who was openly gay. He did wind up winning one of the city council seats though so hey good on him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

von Metternich posted:

I believe this or something similar was asked in the 1992 general election debates, and Clinton being able to answer was a big moment for his candidacy, vs the two billionaires.

No, it was the even dumber "How has the national debt personally affected you and your family? And if it hasn’t, how can you honestly find a cure for the economic problems of the common people if you have no experience in what’s ailing them?"

George H.W. Bush handled it incredibly poorly and it fed into his "economically out of touch elitist, unlike folksy Bill Clinton" image. But, to be fair, he really got screwed on the question because the audience member didn't really know what they were talking about - they were trying to ask about the recession, but kept framing it as "the national debt" and Bush was answering it literally. Clinton answered afterwards when it was clear the guy was talking about the recession and gave a much better answer.

These were the answers:

quote:

BUSH: Well, I think the national debt affects everybody.

AUDIENCE QUESTION: You personally.

BUSH: Obviously it has a lot to do with interest rates —

SIMPSON: She’s saying, “you personally”

AUDIENCE QUESTION: You, on a personal basis — how has it affected you?

SIMPSON: Has it affected you personally?

BUSH: I’m sure it has. I love my grandchildren —

AUDIENCE QUESTION: How?

BUSH: I want to think that they’re going to be able to afford an education. I think that that’s an important part of being a parent. If the question — maybe I — get it wrong. Are you suggesting that if somebody has means that the national debt doesn’t affect them?

AUDIENCE QUESTION: What I’m saying is —

BUSH: I’m not sure I get — help me with the question and I’ll try to answer it.

AUDIENCE QUESTION: Well, I’ve had friends that have been laid off from jobs.

BUSH: Yeah.

AUDIENCE QUESTION: I know people who cannot afford to pay the mortgage on their homes, their car payment. I have personal problems with the national debt. But how has it affected you and if you have no experience in it, how can you help us, if you don’t know what we’re feeling?

BUSH: I mean, you’ve got to care. Everybody cares if people aren’t doing well.

But I don’t think it’s fair to say, you haven’t had cancer. Therefore, you don’t know what’s it like. I don’t think it’s fair to say, you know, whatever it is, that if you haven’t been hit by it personally. But everybody’s affected by the debt because of the tremendous interest that goes into paying on that debt everything’s more expensive. Everything comes out of your pocket and my pocket. So it’s that.

quote:

SIMPSON: Governor Clinton.

CLINTON: Tell me how it’s affected you again.

AUDIENCE QUESTION: Um —

CLINTON: You know people who’ve lost their jobs and lost their homes?

AUDIENCE QUESTION: Well, yeah, uh-huh.

CLINTON: Well, I’ve been governor of a small state for 12 years. I’ll tell you how it’s affected me. Every year Congress and the president sign laws that make us do more things and gives us less money to do it with. I see people in my state, middle class people — their taxes have gone up in Washington and their services have gone down while the wealthy have gotten tax cuts.

I have seen what’s happened in this last 4 years when — in my state, when people lose their jobs there’s a good chance I’ll know them by their names. When a factory closes, I know the people who ran it. When the businesses go bankrupt, I know them.

And I’ve been out here for 13 months meeting in meetings just like this ever since October, with people like you all over America, people that have lost their jobs, lost their livelihood, lost their health insurance.

What I want you to understand is the national debt is not the only cause of that. It is because America has not invested in its people. It is because we have not grown. It is because we’ve had 12 years of trickle down economics. We’ve gone from first to twelfth in the world in wages. We’ve had 4 years where we’ve produced no private sector jobs. Most people are working harder for less money than they were making ten years ago.

It is because we are in the grip of a failed economic theory. And this decision you’re about to make better be about what kind of economic theory you want, not just people saying I’m going to go fix it but what are we going to do? I think we have to do is invest in American jobs, American education, control American health care costs and bring the American people together again.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, it was the even dumber "How has the national debt personally affected you and your family? And if it hasn’t, how can you honestly find a cure for the economic problems of the common people if you have no experience in what’s ailing them?"

George H.W. Bush handled it incredibly poorly and it fed into his "economically out of touch elitist, unlike folksy Bill Clinton" image. But, to be fair, he really got screwed on the question because the audience member didn't really know what they were talking about - they were trying to ask about the recession, but kept framing it as "the national debt" and Bush was answering it literally. Clinton answered afterwards when it was clear the guy was talking about the recession and gave a much better answer.

These were the answers:

An amazing feat on Clinton’s part, telling some amount of truth before getting into office and signing NAFTA and becoming an enormous, load-bearing cog in the process of exporting good jobs and leaving America to fight over Wal Mart greeter positions. What a classic scumbag move.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why are the fart huffing divinations of online communists relevant to current events?

Balkanization is a possible outcome in the same way that Canada invading and becoming our benevolent rulers is a possible outcome. If it did happen, the world will be far more hosed already for it to be better for anyone anywhere for a long time.

In actual events, bird flu is spreading and driving up egg prices

https://twitter.com/lreiley/status/1515295019447558145

I've actually been seeing updates about this in MA in real time due to my job, I was assuming/hoping it was a local issue, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the US sucks at containing infectious diseases.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Florida is returning 41% of their math textbooks and updating their curriculum to ban the use of those books in order to comply with the new law banning critical race theory in public schools.

The most disappointing thing is that the Florida Department of Education didn't provide examples of math problems that promoted CRT. Would have been very interesting to see what specifically got them kicked off the list.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1516045165835792387

quote:

Florida rejects 41% of new math textbooks, citing critical race theory among its reasons

The Florida Department of Education announced Friday that the state has rejected more than 50 math textbooks from next school year's curriculum, citing references to critical race theory among reasons for the rejections.

In a news release, the department stated that 54 out of 132 of the textbook submissions would not be added to the state's adopted list because they did not adhere to Florida's new standards or contained prohibited topics.

The release said the list of rejected books makes up approximately 41% of submissions, which is the most in Florida's history.

Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to critical race theory, "inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics," the release states.

Critical race theory has become politicized in recent years, with opponents arguing the area of study is based on Marxism and is a threat to the American way of life. But scholars who study it say critical race theory explores the ways in which a history of inequality and racism in the United States continues to impact American society today.

Florida banned the teaching of critical race theory in schools in June, 2021. At the time, Gov. Ron DeSantis said that allowing critical race theory in schools would teach children that "the country is rotten and that our institutions are illegitimate."

According to the ban, instruction in schools must be "factual and objective." It specifically prohibits "theories that distort historical events" -- including "the teaching of Critical Race Theory, meaning the theory that racism is not merely the product of prejudice, but that racism is embedded in American society and its legal systems in order to uphold the supremacy of white persons."

Florida also banned teaching material from the 1619 Project, the New York Times' Pulitzer Prize-winning project to reframe American history around the date of August 1619, when the first slave ship arrived on America's shores.

The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, where an "alarming" 71% were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics, the release said.

Despite rejecting 41% of materials submitted, every core mathematics course and grade is covered with at least one textbook, the release said.

In a statement, DeSantis said he is grateful for the department's thorough vetting of these textbooks to ensure they comply with the law.

"It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students," the governor said.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

41% is such an implausibly high number you'd think people would see if as a transparently bad-faith ploy, like a dictator claiming to get 91% of the vote. But well, nope, probably it's just that the commies and demons are that deeply infested into our schools!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ron DeSantis was left completely confused when he finished the math problem about black and white laborers and the sum of laborers didn't have a remainder in line with the 3/5 compromise

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lot of these reworked math problems seem like they work out to 1488 now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Florida is returning 41% of their math textbooks and updating their curriculum to ban the use of those books in order to comply with the new law banning critical race theory in public schools.

The most disappointing thing is that the Florida Department of Education didn't provide examples of math problems that promoted CRT. Would have been very interesting to see what specifically got them kicked off the list.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1516045165835792387

Well, this certainly isn't an encouraging preview of how the media's gonna cover the impending Education Wars.

While "critical race theory" was one of the reasons that textbooks could be rejected, other reasons that fell under the prohibited topics category included "inclusion of Social Emotional Learning" and "mention of Common Core or adherence to the Common Core standards", both of which DeSantis has been trying to purge from Florida education.

CNN is emphasizing the CRT part, presumably because it's the latest and greatest conservative bugbear (and even the original press release made sure to place extra emphasis on it), but it's likely that more of the rejections came from those other two groups. SEL isn't too difficult to integrate into math, since you can do things like ask students how they feel about math, or add social aspects to word problems, or encourage lateral thinking and alternate approaches to problems. And it's pretty easy to see how math textbooks might incorporate a lot from the Common Core standards that are currently used in thirty-something states (down from the 46 that initially adopted them before the conservative counter-push led to several states dropping it).

The media hyperfocusing on CRT to the exclusion of the others helps to hide the fact that conservatives have been chasing education boogeymen for the entire 21st century, always finding a new one to attack as soon as they've defeated the previous one. The FL textbook purge just lumps all those boogeymen together into a single category as they seek to roll education standards back to what they were like a quarter-century ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I checked the Florida DOE statement and website to see if they listed any specific examples that CNN just didn't include, but even the Florida Department of Education doesn't cite specifically what qualified as CRT in the math textbooks.

quote:

“It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “I’m grateful that Commissioner Corcoran and his team at the Department have conducted such a thorough vetting of these textbooks to ensure they comply with the law.”

quote:

In 2021, the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) called for bids from publishers to submit proposed mathematics instructional materials to be included on the state’s adopted list. Florida has been clear that instructional materials must first and foremost be aligned to Florida’s new B.E.S.T. Standards. In fact, FDOE proactively informed publishers in June 2021 that textbooks must align to the B.E.S.T. Standards, state laws regarding required instruction, and that they should not incorporate unsolicited strategies such as SEL in their instructional materials.

It is unfortunate that several publishers, especially at the elementary school grade levels, have ignored this clear communication and have attempted to slip rebranded instructional materials based on Common Core Standards into Florida’s classrooms, while others have included prohibited and divisive concepts such as the tenants of CRT or other unsolicited strategies of indoctrination – despite FDOE’s prior notification.

The only things they list for each textbook are that they failed one of these requirements:

quote:

1. Critical Race Theory: Do materials align to Rule 6A-1.094124, F.A.C., which prohibits Critical Race Theory (CRT), in instructional materials?

2. Culturally Responsive Teaching: Do instructional materials omit Culturally Responsive Teaching as it relates to CRT?

3. Social Justice: Do instructional materials omit Social Justice as it relates to CRT?

4. Social Emotional Learning: Do instructional materials NOT solicit Social Emotional Learning (SEL), as these are considered extraneous and unsolicited strategies outside the scope of subject-area standards?

Some of the books that failed these tests:

quote:

- STEMscopes Florida Math – Kindergarten Student Notebook

- enVision Florida B.E.S.T. Mathematics Spanish Quick and Easy Kit, Grade K

- Newton & Descartes's Math Musicals: The Land of Pawz with Differentiated Rich Math Tasks

- Larson, Elementary Statistics: Picturing the World, 7e

- Blitzer, Thinking Mathematically, 7e

- Sullivan, Precalculus: Enhanced with Graphing Utilities, 8e

- ACT Prep 5-year Digital - videos and practice problems

- Carnegie Learning FL Middle School Math Solution, Grade 8 Math: Pre-Algebra Print Student Edition

Other than the Kindergarten math book being about Newton and Descartes visiting "The Land of Pawz" (which is absurd because Descartes was born almost 100 years before Newton and I have not been able to find any third-party source that confirms their travels together or the existence of the Land of Pawz), nothing really jumps out as obviously containing a message of pro-CRT advocacy.

https://www.fldoe.org/academics/standards/instructional-materials/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 18, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One wonders what would happen if the Florida DOE announces that no textbooks satisfy these standards and the school year is canceled

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

haveblue posted:

One wonders what would happen if the Florida DOE announces that no textbooks satisfy these standards and the school year is canceled

I'd almost certainly end up homeless since a big part of my household income is my wife's teaching salary lmao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Unfunny answer is that they would never do that, but if they did, then they would probably just reuse previous textbooks. It's not like 5th grade math has dramatically changed in the last 3 years.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yes, omit SEL for the subject that has its own negative emotion

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

SEL being liberal indoctrination is like, so loving on the nose.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

selec posted:

I grew up in a working class farming community with a large Latino population working the turkey plant. I disagree entirely.

Human nature is to cooperate. Strong recommendation for The Dawn of Everything. A lot of folks have very inaccurate priors when it comes to what kind of civilizations humans typically form, rapine and slaughter is the exception to a largely peaceful and cooperative rule.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0374157359/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JGK1Y32VTWSYCD4DV5DC

And if you purely consider the aftermath of violent and controversial collapse of an previously dominant political system and an empire (literally the barest precondition to the hypothetical being discussed), how peaceful and cooperative were the birth pangs of the civilizations that followed said scenario on average? Because my answer would be "oh god the blood how the gently caress is there so much blood"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm old and haven't been in school for a while, but how is it possible to create an Algebra textbook based on SEL?

Even the "SEL and Math" descriptor just talks about how you organize math classrooms and student engagement, but nothing that would be in a textbook.

https://www.insidemathematics.org/common-core-resources/mathematical-practice-standards/social-and-emotional-mathematics-learning

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

haveblue posted:

The cynic in me immediately starts to wonder if DeSantis doesn't just have a friend or a donor that prints math books.

I'm having a hard time picturing what a controversial race themed MATH textbook might look like since, aside from word problems, they're pretty dry and mostly procedural. Unless they want the word problems to be written like:

Johnny has a wife, three children under five years of age, two bibles, 4 guns, 3 boxes of ammo each containing 50 bullets in his home plus 8 security cameras and one American flag in his driveway. The question is: How many bullets will Johnny need in order to kill four home invaders when they come to rob him and kill his family?

or

The Jones household has six residents in 2022 at the following ages: Dad (age 44), Mom (age 40), Son #1(age 17), Son #2 (age 14), Daughter (age 15) and Grandma (age 80). An election takes place in 2024 and one must be 18 years old to vote. The question is: how many fraudulent ballots would each person have to cast in order to steal the election?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm old and haven't been in school for a while, but how is it possible to create an Algebra textbook based on SEL?

Even the "SEL and Math" descriptor just talks about how you organize math classrooms and student engagement, but nothing that would be in a textbook.

https://www.insidemathematics.org/common-core-resources/mathematical-practice-standards/social-and-emotional-mathematics-learning

I am guessing there are 1-2 reflection questions at the end of each chapter that ask things like “what’s the most interesting thing you learned this chapter?” or even just little suggestions to “take breaks, get a snack” when working through problems. SEL can be very subtle which I’m sure makes it a great candidate for throwing out textbooks for less politically defensible reasons.

Also re: Florida just shutting down schools by refusing all textbooks, even Florida wouldn’t try that but they’d 100% try to provide their own terrible materials that would cause a huge controversy, then they’d be like “yeah exactly public schools are bad, here’s vouchers.” Or just flat out adopt Christian homeschooling texts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I assume one of the names in the questions just sounded a little too black for them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

As someone who has worked in educational publishing, my gut tells me this is a grift/scam.

They're going to hand the bid for a new line of educational books (probably not for all of K-12) to someone's cousin's company and they'll make millions and only deliver 20% of the books ordered.

Just seems like an obvious Florida grift

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Beastie posted:

As someone who has worked in educational publishing, my gut tells me this is a grift/scam.

They're going to hand the bid for a new line of educational books (probably not for all of K-12) to someone's cousin's company and they'll make millions and only deliver 20% of the books ordered.

Just seems like an obvious Florida grift

They are rejecting those books as part of the bid, but about 60% of the ones that applied qualified. Doesn't really seem like it is necessary to reduce the number of books from 140+ to 80+ if your goal is to just pick your cousin's book company. You could do that either way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm having a hard time picturing what a controversial race themed MATH textbook might look like since, aside from word problems, they're pretty dry and mostly procedural.

Maybe one of the algebra equations was ac=b

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Florida students unable to do division because division is a communist plot.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Madkal posted:

Florida students unable to do division because division is a communist plot.

Why are you trying to divide, America?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hawkperson posted:

SEL being liberal indoctrination is like, so loving on the nose.

We cannot permit any learning that might cause the slightest bit of introspection; any impetus to re-examine your beliefs idle hands are the devil's playground

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They are rejecting those books as part of the bid, but about 60% of the ones that applied qualified. Doesn't really seem like it is necessary to reduce the number of books from 140+ to 80+ if your goal is to just pick your cousin's book company. You could do that either way.
Yeah, but what if you have several cousins you want to give crooked contracts to?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's the same way he handled the MMJ rollout down here. It's just just enough "oversight" to not reek of impropriety to most people, but peeling back a few layers of the onion peel shows how carefully calculated to benefit his own circle is clear as day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why are you trying to divide, America?
That sounds like an old Colbert Report bit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Following the study of Hispanic-Americans, Pew released a major study of Black Americans.

The interesting/surprising/major points:

- Black people in America still think of themselves as a racial bloc. This same view has been decreasing among Hispanic-Americans and Asian-Americans.

71% say that their racial identity is "extremely" or "very" important to them and they feel a commonality with other people of their race.

65% say their gender is very important to their identity.

Two areas with big breaks:

1) Only 17% of Black Americans born outside the U.S. say they have "everything" or "most things" in common with black people everywhere, but 54% of Black Americans born in the U.S. say they do.

2) Only 14% of Black Americans say they have "everything" or "most things" in common with LGBT Black Americans. 60% of Black Americans say they have "nothing" or "few things" in common with LGBT Black Americans.

Republican-leaning black Americans are more likely to say they have nothing in common with LGBT black Americans, but other than that, every other demographic factor is about the same and geography/education/gender/age/income don't significantly change the likelihood of saying no.

- Black Americans are almost evenly divided between living in the suburbs and urban areas. Only 41% of black Americans currently live in urban areas.

The number of black people in urban and rural areas has been decreasing, while the amount in the suburbs has been increasing.

People under 30 are more likely to live in urban areas.

Lower income and people without college educations are more likely to live in the south and rural areas. Higher-income black Americans are much more likely to live in the suburbs.

Unlike every other racial group, living in an urban/rural/suburban area has no impact on party identification for Black Americans.

- Only 57% of Black Americans say their ancestors were enslaved.

34% said they weren't sure if their ancestors were enslaved.

8% say they definitely weren't.

- The most important issue for Black Americans is "Violence/Crime."

The full list:

quote:

Violence/Crime: 17%
Economic Issues: 11%
Housing: 7%
Covid-19: 6%
Infrastructure: 5%
Neighborhoods: 4%
No Issues: 4%
Public Safety/Emergency Services: 3%
Racism/Diversity/Culture: 3%
Employment/Wages: 3%

Note: "Violence/Crime" includes issues of drug activity, shootings, and theft.
"Economic Issues" includes mention of issues such as homelessness, poverty, and taxes.

- Geography/Housing

More than half of Black Americans live in the South and Black Americans in the South are more than twice as likely to live in rural areas compared to any other geographic region.

44.3% of black Americans own their own home.

Black Americans in the South and West are more likely to rate their communities as "Very Good" or "Excellent" than Black Americans in the Northeast or Midwest.

Upper-income Black Americans are more than twice as likely to say their community is "Excellent" or "Very Good" compared to low-income Black Americans.

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-et...ith-each-other/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 18, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Would love to see the textbook makers push back and make public the reasons Florida gave them for rejecting including examples. I'm sure they'd be quite illuminating, like 'why is the kid in this question's name Jamal? Why not Johnny? What are you trying to push here?'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oracle posted:

Would love to see the textbook makers push back and make public the reasons Florida gave them for rejecting including examples. I'm sure they'd be quite illuminating, like 'why is the kid in this question's name Jamal? Why not Johnny? What are you trying to push here?'

As someone mentioned earlier, the actual reason for many of the removals are more likely to be tied to common core.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Johnny has a wife, three children under five years of age, two bibles, 4 guns, 3 boxes of ammo each containing 50 bullets in his home plus 8 security cameras and one American flag in his driveway. The question is: How many bullets will Johnny need in order to kill four home invaders when they come to rob him and kill his family?

or

The Jones household has six residents in 2022 at the following ages: Dad (age 44), Mom (age 40), Son #1(age 17), Son #2 (age 14), Daughter (age 15) and Grandma (age 80). An election takes place in 2024 and one must be 18 years old to vote. The question is: how many fraudulent ballots would each person have to cast in order to steal the election?
Bob, a small business owner, owns two factories which each generated $60,000,000 in revenue last year. Each factory employs 1,000 workers at $11 per hour. If Bob's executive salary is $400,000 per year, and the Malibu beach house he wants to buy costs $5,500,000, how much of Bob's capital expenditures must he write off to reduce his taxable income to zero?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Republican-leaning black Americans are more likely to say they have nothing in common with LGBT black Americans, but other than that, every other demographic factor is about the same and geography/education/gender/age/income don't significantly change the likelihood of saying no.

Unless I'm reading this graph wrong, it seems like the opposite is true. Republican and republican-leaning individuals are considerably more likely to say they have everything or most things in common with LGBTQ Americans.

Personally I think it's kind of a poor question and I'm not sure what conclusion we're supposed to draw from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Baronash posted:

Unless I'm reading this graph wrong, it seems like the opposite is true. Republican and republican-leaning individuals are considerably more likely to say they have everything or most things in common with LGBTQ Americans.

Personally I think it's kind of a poor question and I'm not sure what conclusion we're supposed to draw from it.

Yeah, I phrased that incorrectly. They are more likely to both say they most everything in common and that they have nothing in common, but much less likely to be in the middle.

The question was part of a series of questions where they just replaced the noun with a different group of black Americans.

The other really weird result is that black people born in America are way way more into the idea of black solidarity than black Americans who weren't been in the U.S. - who are more than 4:1 against the idea that black people in America have a lot in common.

I'm also a little surprised that the urban/rural political divide seems to exist very strongly in every demographic group except black people. The percentages are almost a perfect 100% match across party ID, which is crazy.

People are also going to have to change their codename for black people from "urban" and "inner city" to "suburban" in a year or two.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 18, 2022