Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

thetoughestbean posted:

The party I was in just killed the adds on one side of the arena and then stacked on the other side

I think those adds are spawned wherever they're spawned at and can't be moved. I remember my group trying to move the add over and being unable to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The dome is meant to be Carteneau I thought. Anyway whilst the actual compass directions are off, if Omphalos was floating above Silvertear, then the dome would be to the left of the Crystal Tower.

The dome is 100% part of Mor Dhona.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Double post, but I wanted to kinda put together what the compass and maps were showing.

The dots aren't to scale, they're just roughly positioned based off the angles from the compass. Orange dot is the dome, blue dot is the tower, yellow dot is where the compass says we should be while the green dot is where looking at the world says we should be.

The Omphalos compass shot was taken from here:

For a different example, this map screenshot was taken where I could see both the dome and the tower, though the tower sits a little further off what that map shows.

So, in order to get the right positioning, we'd have to be looking roughly the same direction while on Omphalos, very roughly East, instead of the West we've got.

All this probably only means that the map and compass elements were designed backwards, unless it's intentional and they're going to throw in some kind of " the phantom realm is actually mirrored reality" reveal.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Or for maximum hilarity, the devs got the cardinal directions wrong :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clearly the Omphalos is in its 1.0 location

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hogama posted:

We know plenty about the Third Astral Era, but the Fourth Astral Era we again don't have much of a record for - it seems that people went back to religion in this time period, but characterized more by willful ignorance and destruction of surviving texts and such from the Allagan age, with only holy scripture preserving information (this is actually the foundation of the Eorzean alphabet). But due to the lack of recorded history from the Fourth Astral, nobody's really sure how the Fourth Calamity (of Ice) got underway.

Fourth Calamity was Earth, not Ice, and was what wiped the Allagans off the map. Ice was the Fifth Calamity.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what happens if you mess up, full on raid wipe?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

thetoughestbean posted:

The party I was in just killed the adds on one side of the arena and then stacked on the other side

This doesn’t always work, since the adds have a variable weight - probably determined by the amount of tethers they do. They don’t always tether 8 people.

Electric Phantasm posted:

You take 9,999,999 damage. Maybe just 999,999. Either way, yeah, raid wipe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

W.T. Fits posted:

Fourth Calamity was Earth, not Ice, and was what wiped the Allagans off the map. Ice was the Fifth Calamity.

Minor clarification: it wiped Allag off the map. The empire itself was wide enough that a single Calamity didn't fell it, although it was definitely the beginning of the end. The Bozja field notes confirmed that the Allagans were still fighting it in the early Fourth Umbral Era, when the summoning of the primal Queen Gunnhildr stopped them.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

from what i can tell, scales has three states: you do it perfectly and the entire raid gets a permanent damage buff, the scales are slightly tilted so you don't die but don't get a damage buff, and the scales are completely lopsided so it's a wipe

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

One thing that keep coming to my mind recently is that outside of Eorzea and its neighbors, the calamities don't seem near as much a feature of history. The calendar is almost surely unique to there, but I do wonder if locales like Othard even have a well-trod idea of Calamitous Eras, let alone more distant places like the New World.

We know that Eorzea- mainly Cartenau- hosts a number of aetherial confluences, likely making it prime Ascian Fuckery territory.

The Black Rose crisis would have probably been the most wide-ranging Calamity of those we have any real knowledge, matching the Flood of Light nearly consuming the First in full. One must wonder if the other reflections had more localized events occur prior to their rejoining.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

a cartoon duck posted:

from what i can tell, scales has three states: you do it perfectly and the entire raid gets a permanent damage buff, the scales are slightly tilted so you don't die but don't get a damage buff, and the scales are completely lopsided so it's a wipe
As far as I can tell it's only pass-fail. The video above only goes between balanced and lopsided with only a couple of people moving between the sides, which matches my experience in the fight.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This doesn’t always work, since the adds have a variable weight - probably determined by the amount of tethers they do. They don’t always tether 8 people.
My assumption has been that the adds are about 8 players worth of weight, so there's some leeway. In one of my runs all three adds were on one side so everyone ran to the other side and I'm pretty sure the scales were balanced; one person tried to troll by running back to the side with the adds but the scales stayed balanced so we got to continue on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

iPodschun posted:

As far as I can tell it's only pass-fail. The video above only goes between balanced and lopsided with only a couple of people moving between the sides, which matches my experience in the fight.

My assumption has been that the adds are about 8 players worth of weight, so there's some leeway. In one of my runs all three adds were on one side so everyone ran to the other side and I'm pretty sure the scales were balanced; one person tried to troll by running back to the side with the adds but the scales stayed balanced so we got to continue on.

It does seem like there's some leeway.

I don't think they're full-party weights because during one run we had 2 adds on one side, 1 on the other. All we did was switch sides (easy to tell because my party was the lone one out) and the scales were unbalanced. It took a few people moving over to balance them again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

That was a brain glitched typo, I was meaning the Calamity following the Fourth Astral Era.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I feel like this is a bug, it'd make a lot more sense as a mechanic if each one tethered eight players consistently (also just on principle there should be a consistent strategy for where people go given that the consequence is an unavoidable raid wipe deep into an alliance raid fight)

Hmm, I guess they do have symbols over their heads tho corresponding to their weights... maybe it is intended for some reason, but I can't reckon why

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Chomposaur posted:

I feel like this is a bug, it'd make a lot more sense as a mechanic if each one tethered eight players consistently (also just on principle there should be a consistent strategy for where people go given that the consequence is an unavoidable raid wipe deep into an alliance raid fight)

Hmm, I guess they do have symbols over their heads tho corresponding to their weights... maybe it is intended for some reason, but I can't reckon why

It's probably to create a margin of error so one player can't kill the whole raid

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chomposaur posted:

They weigh the same as the number of people they tether to, and they tether to less when people are dead when the add phase starts. That's the whole deal.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

At least it's not light the weight plates in XI, where 3 Tarutaru = 2 Hume/Mithra = 1 Galka :v:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Personally I think the Twelve are probably what Azem was doing during the final days and he based some on his friends. Of course we won't recognize them all because they probably had friends who were never relevant to the story.

The Pandemonium raid story suggests Azem has some idea that we're going to exist. Maybe during the sundering Azem realised that in ten thousand years we're going to want some cool-rear end fights and set things up for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Something that just struck me about the alliance raid story and the whole mystery around it:

In real life pantheistic societies, when a new big-deal thing is discovered or invented, it was usually tacked on to the domains of existing gods. (Sometimes they made new gods, but that was rarer.) That's how you get those Greek and Roman gods with a bunch of weird unconnected domains, because the gods don't actually exist as singular, static beings; you can jsut say this new form of metalworking is now Hephaestus' domain, Hephaestus isn't gonna tell you not to.

But the Twelve are interesting because they actually are singular, relatively static deities. And yet in the raids so far we've already got Byregot, a god of industry wielding a blacksmith's hammer, and Nald'thal, a god of commerce who uses merchants' scales and has the symbol of an ancient form of currency. And those are just basic features of their being.

Doesn't it stand to reason, then, that Byregot and Nald'thal could not have come into being in a world that didn't already have industry, blacksmith's hammers, commerce, merchants' scales, and that form of currency? And that doesn't just preclude societies that hadn't invented them yet, but also potentially the late-day Ancients themselves, who used creation magic and so wouldn't have a concept of a blacksmith's hammer, or possibly currencies.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, that theory that the Twelve might pre-date the Ancients is pretty plausible and would make a lot of sense. From a meta perspective, one of the issues of revealing the Ancients' role in the FFXIV story is that, if it's just them as the originators, it essentially reveals the entire origin of the Hydaelyn star, thus acting as a bit of a limit on what can be explored. Not saying there isn't enough there to write for a number of expansions, but the writers may want to introduce a precursor race to the Ancients to help keep more doors open for possible story beats, outside of the other Astral/Umbral eras and exploring other stars/reflections.

It would also help explain some of the hinted at knowledge the Twelve have, given that they are aware of Hydaelyn. Although it's certainly not the only way they could be aware of these issues.

That said, under the arguments of what the gods' domains are, it may also be possible that they are instead gods of the First Astral/Umbral era; since Ancient society collapsed in the Final Days, maybe many of the concepts heralded by the Twelve such as smithing, etc. may have just been necessities for living in a world without creation magic. Maybe Hydaelyn contacted or constructed them to help teach these concepts to people, in the absence of their memory or skillsets?

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 19, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really don't think they need to add anything before the Ancients. We've got so much history to go over already with everything that's happened after the Sundering and the remaining shards.

Adding more progenitor/precursor races from before the Ancients would feel like too much for me unless it was done really well. If they wanted more story beats in that vein, smaller, more general stuff exploring the Ancients' time would be better imo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the Twelve could be from before the Ancients as we've seen them, I'm more just saying that I don't think the Twelve could've come from the Ancients as we've seen them, or from a society that hadn't yet invented those things.

Or from complete zero, of course. Byregot couldn't have just blinked into existence off in space, he needs the context of a society with blacksmiths.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I just want gods that taste like real gods.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think that necessarily follows because the gods could have just done a prometheus and inspired mankind with the idea of "blacksmith's hammer" after coming up with it themselves

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Given that the world before the Ancients' efforts lacked so many things- they were blown away by such like as "frog with sticky tongue" or "big bitey fish-" I can imagine it wasn't a terribly interesting place anyway.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
I still think that the Twelve will end up being/having a connection to the Twelve Wonders, the element-regulating creations in Elpis which you never see directly but are based in a garden suspiciously similar to the symbol of the Twelve when viewed from overhead and represent every form of aether in umbral and astral form.

quote:

Alkmene: The gardens of the Twelve Wonders reflect the balance of dynamic and stagnant aether of all six aspects. An excess of activity in a single aspect leads to this type of agglomeration.

More specifically, my bet is that the Twelve were a similar set of beings of much greater power in place to control the environment of the entire planet, but after the Sundering, the Ascians tried to employ them to cause calamities, so they isolated themselves to prevent that. But since they still exist to serve mankind, they desire a master, and are testing you to deem if you're a worthy successor. That's the 'hope' they talk about.

Being basically AI, they probably adopted personas over the millenia similar to important people they would've been familiar with, which is why Azeyma comes across like Venat and Thal like Emet and so on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zomborgon posted:

Given that the world before the Ancients' efforts lacked so many things- they were blown away by such like as "frog with sticky tongue" or "big bitey fish-" I can imagine it wasn't a terribly interesting place anyway.

They didn't even have any kinds of sharks! What an uncool time!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
...oh.
https://twitter.com/radicrow/status/1515810699855134728?t=lNfVFMi8koTWYjdi0cIL1w

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

They didn't even have any kinds of sharks! What an uncool time!

Tbf they rectified that in spades

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love that the ancients thought sharks were loving rad and hell they're right.

What are the chances of a shark boss in the Pandaemonium raids?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

PoorWeather posted:

I still think that the Twelve will end up being/having a connection to the Twelve Wonders, the element-regulating creations in Elpis which you never see directly but are based in a garden suspiciously similar to the symbol of the Twelve when viewed from overhead and represent every form of aether in umbral and astral form.

More specifically, my bet is that the Twelve were a similar set of beings of much greater power in place to control the environment of the entire planet, but after the Sundering, the Ascians tried to employ them to cause calamities, so they isolated themselves to prevent that. But since they still exist to serve mankind, they desire a master, and are testing you to deem if you're a worthy successor. That's the 'hope' they talk about.

Being basically AI, they probably adopted personas over the millenia similar to important people they would've been familiar with, which is why Azeyma comes across like Venat and Thal like Emet and so on.

I think you are on to something, at least broad strokes. would explain the twelve wonders, why the twelve are like that, why they'd hide away...

it would also explain why emet (presumably, could have just been being coy) seemed to know stuff about the 12 that we didn't

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cleretic posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the Twelve could be from before the Ancients as we've seen them, I'm more just saying that I don't think the Twelve could've come from the Ancients as we've seen them, or from a society that hadn't yet invented those things.

Or from complete zero, of course. Byregot couldn't have just blinked into existence off in space, he needs the context of a society with blacksmiths.

But that assumes the forms we fight are the forms as they've always been. Who's to say Byregot didn't get a hammer after he'd already been around for millenia?

The twelve could easily be adapting and evolving through the ages same as everyone else.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also Elpis literally has Ancients who enjoy doing flower breeding the old fashioned way with gardening skills instead of just magicking them into the correct genus.

They would in fact, have weirdoes who want to make things physically with hammers, because they're immortal super-beings who do whatever happens to catch their fancy at the time.

The idea that they wouldn't have commerce/trade (when they have bustling urban cities) or physically crafting is silly.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Farg posted:

it would also explain why emet (presumably, could have just been being coy) seemed to know stuff about the 12 that we didn't

Without a doubt he was being coy and dramatic, but he also absolutely does know something we don't or he wouldn't have teased us about it.

"Oh? You mean you don't know the truth about the gods your people worship so fervently? :smug:"

e: sidetrack, but we have "Thal's balls" and "Matron's teats" but no one ever made an exclamational saying of Byregot's thighs?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 19, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

e: sidetrack, but we have "Thal's balls" and "Matron's teats" but no one ever made an exclamational saying of Byregot's thighs?

Thighergot's blessings

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bruceski posted:

Thighergot's blessings

:hmmyes:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've seen more people horny for naldthal than byregot and frankly that's tragic

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Countblanc posted:

I've seen more people horny for naldthal than byregot and frankly that's tragic

Byregot reminds people too much of Zeus to be properly horny for.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

I love that the ancients thought sharks were loving rad and hell they're right.

What are the chances of a shark boss in the Pandaemonium raids?

That would imply that sharks can ever fail, which as the wise Ancients know is impossible. Every shark is precious and a valuable success.