Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Of course people who are stuck there are stuck there, I didn't say anything about that. But a poo poo ton of people in the US for instance happily pack up and move across the country to live in places where tornadoes are a weekly thing, or where murder hail happens every year. That's the kind of thing that I'm still continually surprised about.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, well, I voluntarily moved to earthquake country, so I am in no position to judge.

Hey, I had already moved from tornado country to blizzard country to hurricane country, so no big.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Of course people who are stuck there are stuck there, I didn't say anything about that. But a poo poo ton of people in the US for instance happily pack up and move across the country to live in places where tornadoes are a weekly thing, or where murder hail happens every year. That's the kind of thing that I'm still continually surprised about.
yea im with ya. you got a couple of case studies we could reference that we could pick apart for this absolutely asinine assertion?

like, for instance, why would anyone choose to stay in the USA, a country well known to be a third world hell hole??

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hide the sign while the prime minister (known for fuckups) visits for a photo op during the election campaign

https://mobile.twitter.com/ACTcameramatt/status/1518773091337650176?s=20&t=rQHYWUJ3GCm8TrrhnIuPmA

(3 pics)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

How many places exist on Earth with no dangerous weather at all? Or dangerous wildlife for that matter?

England is about the most benign place I can think of. Their most dangerous weather is thick fog and their most dangerous animal is like a badger or something.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

England is about the most benign place I can think of. Their most dangerous weather is thick fog and their most dangerous animal is like a badger or something.

In my neck of the woods in Upstate NY we're pretty good. Once every other year there's a big honking blizzard, but there's no earthquakes, dangerous storms, or fires or floods or anything.

The blizzards used to be more common :thunk:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

I don't get it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Real Amethyst posted:

I don't get it.

DiESEL

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The last wild bear in England was killed over 1000 years ago, and the last wolf around 400 years ago. There are now wild boar due to farm escapes and they are now established and slowly expanding.

I think the most dangerous animal is the deer due to 50000 car crashes a year !

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Unperson_47 posted:

Just realized that not only do they ride and turn on two wheels, it all started with them swerving at the last moment to avoid that oncoming dude. Saved that guy a lot of pain (and maybe his life) and also looked cool.

Eh, neither of them ever crossed into the opposite lane, it was plenty of space to pass safely.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

binge crotching posted:

Economics.

People need a job to feed themselves and their families, sometimes the only viable option is in Hellweather Country or Snakebite Lagoon.

Plus the densely populated "safe" regions also tend to have higher costs of living.

Sagebrush posted:

Doesn't England get pretty regular flooding?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

PurpleXVI posted:

Doesn't England get pretty regular flooding?

Parts of it at least, though it doesn't help that developers keep building on floodplains or covering hills with impermeable roads and wondering why it floods when it rains heavily.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Britain's most dangerous weather is probably gales killing people by bringing down trees on them/throwing debris into them.

We have no real dangerous animals, although I suppose there's a very small percentage chance of getting eaten by The Beast of Bodmin Moor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The most dangerous animal in Britain is the Englishman. Over the years they've killed millions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Britain is too full of people and petty crime. Finland has about the right population density and I'd rather take some wolves, bears and moose than too many people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The most dangerous animal in Britain is the Englishman. Over the years they've killed millions.

They're also an invasive species

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah but some of those millions were English so it's not all bad.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Aren't heat waves going to be a bigger problem in England moving forward? Compared to the US, there are fewer domestic residences with air conditioning and they aren't as well-built for proper cooling airflow. Same problem as when the PNW started having longer heat waves.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

drat I watched it like 5 times and all's I could see was a rectangle with some lines.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I was in Socorro, NM in 2004 when one of those happened for like 40+ minutes sustained and I still flip the gently caress out the second I see hail, no matter how big, to this day

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mercury Hat posted:

Aren't heat waves going to be a bigger problem in England moving forward? Compared to the US, there are fewer domestic residences with air conditioning and they aren't as well-built for proper cooling airflow. Same problem as when the PNW started having longer heat waves.

This will be less of an issue if the jet stream breaks down and they have to deal with being at a higher latitude than Maine without a heat pump warming the islands up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

I was in Socorro, NM in 2004 when one of those happened for like 40+ minutes sustained and I still flip the gently caress out the second I see hail, no matter how big, to this day

Baseball size hail is a yearly event in Colorado and Wyoming, regionally. Golf ball is more frequent and widespread. But you never know where is going to get hit hard so you just learn to deal with it.

I never seem to encounter large hail. I might see dime and nickel size hail every couple of years. My last apartment complex got pummeled one day for 15-20 minutes, loving up lots of cars. I was at work a few miles away, only rained there.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

KoRMaK posted:

like, for instance, why would anyone choose to stay in the USA, a country well known to be a third world hell hole??

Rock flag and eagle, baby.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Baseball size hail is a yearly event in Colorado and Wyoming, regionally. Golf ball is more frequent and widespread. But you never know where is going to get hit hard so you just learn to deal with it.

I never seem to encounter large hail. I might see dime and nickel size hail every couple of years. My last apartment complex got pummeled one day for 15-20 minutes, loving up lots of cars. I was at work a few miles away, only rained there.

Socorro got declared a FEMA zone over that, my buddy got $5k to fix his roof (:rolleyes:) out of the $1 billion they released to fix things up. NMT actually had just built a giant all-glass theater building that was literally a right triangle. Amazing looking structure, until it was torn to shreds. Every car in that city was turned to a totaled waterlogged golf ball or a shredded husk, depending on how old it was.

New Mexico, especially Albuquerque and cities south of that, don't generally get golf ball or baseball-sized hail. poo poo out in this region is barely built to handle upticks in moisture, 40+ minutes sustained of baseball-size and larger hail basically never happens. I was driving home from a stay in Jemez with my girlfriend last summer and a hailstorm started and I tried to turn back, but I was the leader of the pack. Everything went real well but I was so steeled the entire time, watching an entire parking lot of cars basically explode with water and ice outside your dorm room sticks with you.

edit: I decided to ditch my math class that day after a giant block of ice exploded next to my shin walking out from under the balcony first thing in the "morning," a few minutes before it started, but I missed out on a kid deciding that now was the time to grab a piece of this historic hailstorm. The ice that was around for days and days afterward, that I went snowboarding on at the golf course.
Yeah that kid fractured his skull, tibia and fibia and had to be emergency rescued and airlifted.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 26, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamn that sounds nuts.

Obviously you don't get used to the hail, you get used to the threat. It really does seem to happen annually in east Colorado or Wyoming, out in the plains. I don't know that many houses are really built for hail though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn that sounds nuts.

Obviously you don't get used to the hail, you get used to the threat. It really does seem to happen annually in east Colorado or Wyoming, out in the plains. I don't know that many houses are really built for hail though.

Big problem with NM and hail is that everything is flatroof

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, fortunately we have to build for snow load in Colorado, and high winds, so the homes are more naturally resilient. I'm in the San Luis Valley though, and there's a lot of flat roofs here too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I don't get it.

It's German for "the sel".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

Big problem with NM and hail is that everything is flatroof

On the positive side, house insurance buys everyone a new roof every few years so you don't have that expense to deal with.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Deteriorata posted:

On the positive side, house insurance buys everyone a new roof every few years so you don't have that expense to deal with.

My stepfather basically did exactly this in Illinois, several times. When he tried it in Tennessee the most he could get out of insurance was half the price.

He's a hail magnet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend used to write insurance somewhere in Texas and said premiums were crazy high (like five times what we pay here) because of constantly replacing roofs from hail damage.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Deteriorata posted:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My stepfather basically did exactly this in Illinois, several times. When he tried it in Tennessee the most he could get out of insurance was half the price.

He's a hail magnet.

My dad just did that because the 10-year-old roof totally failed over his bedroom after a snow and he still had to pay, but not really that much. Probably like 15-18%. He still whined like it was full price, mind you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sagebrush posted:

Ireland's better, it's everything you said about England with none of the rabies.

Or English people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, this is random, but I have found that those rattle cans of spray on drywall texture are apparently unavailable, possibly at a national level. The boxed stuff is still readily available, so I’m assuming it’s the packaging process that was disrupted.

Could just be the new normal of random supply line issues, but for the sake of trivia, anyone know of any major incidents recently that would have led to this? Some aerosol packaging plant in Texas nuking itself or something?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, this is random, but I have found that those rattle cans of spray on drywall texture are apparently unavailable, possibly at a national level. The boxed stuff is still readily available, so I’m assuming it’s the packaging process that was disrupted.

Could just be the new normal of random supply line issues, but for the sake of trivia, anyone know of any major incidents recently that would have led to this? Some aerosol packaging plant in Texas nuking itself or something?

Odd, I noticed that a couple months ago the only option was the oil based stuff but last week I was back in full stock locally.

My 15 minute light fixture replacement turned into a weekend of patching drywall, the old fixture was covering up an oversized hole around the box.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I don't get it.

edit: same joke already made, going to edit out in shame

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Unperson_47 posted:

Just realized that not only do they ride and turn on two wheels, it all started with them swerving at the last moment to avoid that oncoming dude. Saved that guy a lot of pain (and maybe his life) and also looked cool.

If you slomo the start, the tuktuk was initially in the oncoming traffic lane as they are taking the corner wide (due to excessive speed), and were already drifting the rear tyres as they crossed the line back into the correct lane, the "swerve" appears to be them regaining traction at the rear, with leftover sideways momentum causing the vehicle to pivot around the center of mass (and go up on 2 wheels). It looks cool, but there are questionable decisions that brought them to that point, IMO nothing about that maneouver would have changed if there was no motorcyclist, they were basically already committed before they come into view past the parked truck.

Also if you slomo / frame advance you can see the passengers in the back as it passes the camera :gonk:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

StormDrain posted:

Odd, I noticed that a couple months ago the only option was the oil based stuff

Yeah, that’s exactly what I hit last night, and it spanned multiple stores of varying sizes.

I looked up the same stuff online and it was listed as unavailable everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weird. I bought a few cans without trouble in January.