Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ippo being like "well time to run back" while Takamura's completely cashed out feels real significant

Granted then they really drilled down on it with ippo literally punching the poo poo out of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Monaghan posted:

I'm really wondering when we're finally going to have someone address Takumura's right eye loving up

Yeah the glint of it whitening out, there's something very wrong going on there that's going to cost him his titles

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Takamura busted for performance enhancing :horsedrugs:

Jiro posted:

Yeah the glint of it whitening out, there's something very wrong going on there that's going to cost him his titles

Eeehhhh maybe, but that's also just a manga/anime/JP thing. I always thought it had to do with their cultural affinity towards asymmetry, but I just made that up in my head so :shrug: .

e:

Patware posted:

Ippo being like "well time to run back" while Takamura's completely cashed out feels real significant

I noticed that too. I thought they would make a bigger deal of it, like if he actually couldn't stand and was just acting cool while Ippo jogged off, but I guess it wasn't that bad since the both came back and hit mitts for an hour.

Seeing Coach upstairs doing the hand movements in sync just from the sound was :unsmith:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Takes No Damage posted:

Takamura busted for performance enhancing :horsedrugs:

Eeehhhh maybe, but that's also just a manga/anime/JP thing. I always thought it had to do with their cultural affinity towards asymmetry, but I just made that up in my head so :shrug: .

e:

I noticed that too. I thought they would make a bigger deal of it, like if he actually couldn't stand and was just acting cool while Ippo jogged off, but I guess it wasn't that bad since the both came back and hit mitts for an hour.

Seeing Coach upstairs doing the hand movements in sync just from the sound was :unsmith:

Takamura stayed behind because he wanted to be a jerk and steal shrine food to snak on, then he got smote with the shits

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

AtomikKrab posted:

Takamura stayed behind because he wanted to be a jerk and steal shrine food to snak on, then he got smote with the shits

He earned it in classic Takamura fashion.

Ippo is 100% returning to the ring after this chapter, his cardio is insane, he's been wearing those weights for years now, and the look both Takamura and Coach had about the sounds of his gloves hitting the mitt...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The way morikawa's written this it's really believable that ippo will be a way better boxer than when he retired. The power up has been sold pretty well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

No Wave posted:

The way morikawa's written this it's really believable that ippo will be a way better boxer than when he retired. The power up has been sold pretty well.

For once the immense length of the series is helping to sell that. They've established a ton of little things that others notice he's improved at to the point where I'll buy it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He also hasn't been punched in the head for a while

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Centzon Totochtin posted:

He also hasn't been punched in the head for a while

this is the most notable part lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ippo, ready to return to the ring in 2037: i'm better at not getting hit in the head now

his doctor who has failed to mention the long term dangers of wearing weights around your joints for legitimately years in a row: yeah, uh,

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

I think that it's generally pretty plausible for retiring (and becoming a trainer) to help Ippo in the sense of getting him to pay closer attention to other boxers, and how this might improve his own boxing. Before the retirement, it felt like Ippo's boxing was a sort of "gotta persevere/endure and trust the coach" tunnel-vision without much in the way of analyzing his opponents (or his own boxing). Become a coach himself can, in a sense, be viewed as Ippo's perspective maturing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah Occam's Razor, he probably just got sick from eating rotten forest food.

Ytlaya posted:

I think that it's generally pretty plausible for retiring (and becoming a trainer) to help Ippo in the sense of getting him to pay closer attention to other boxers, and how this might improve his own boxing. Before the retirement, it felt like Ippo's boxing was a sort of "gotta persevere/endure and trust the coach" tunnel-vision without much in the way of analyzing his opponents (or his own boxing). Become a coach himself can, in a sense, be viewed as Ippo's perspective maturing.

For sure. Even in the early chapters during his run up to the Rookie King he'd be getting his rear end kicked and be like "What do I do what do I do?? Welp, I only know how to do one thing, rushing forward it is!" Any deviation from that would be character growth at this point.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I could see Kamogawa dying/retiring due to old age or sickness and Ippo being the only coach that Takamura would accept

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't really see Ippo coaching Takamura on anything. Despite his overall character as comic relief he's still portrayed as a Super High School Level boxer. If anything he could take over coaching Ippo and learn him how to not get punched in the head so much.

It may seem too obvious but I really can't imagine this not all leading up to Ippo getting back in the ring himself. His name is in the manga title after all :v:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Kamogawa is a bad coach and that never stopped him from coaching takamura

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I could see Takamura being Ippo's coach, and the final fight of the series being Ippo "punching leaves" as it goes full circle and I boo George from the other side of the planet

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I could see Takamura being Ippo's coach, and the final fight of the series being Ippo "punching leaves" as it goes full circle and I boo George from the other side of the planet
You mean his last fight will be against a canadian?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Aye

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kamogawa however felt that even had he not coached Takamura, Takamura would have made it to Champion.

Also Kamogawa is not too bad a trainer, he seems to do his best in the work before the match. He's a pretty bad Second however, and is terrible for ringside advice.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

im so hosed up

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

He didn't so much a coach Takamura as he did point him in the right direction within the confines of boxing. I just read through the volume about Aoki and Kimura's backstory, in which they meet Takamura when he's still in HS and they're both wannabe gang thugs. The first time Aoki sees him he smashes his face through an arcade machine, to which Takamura responds by calmly German suplexing Aoki into the floor (bonking his own head in the process :lol: ).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That episode of the anime rules, particularly with how they changed the eyecatch

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kamogawa however felt that even had he not coached Takamura, Takamura would have made it to Champion.

Also Kamogawa is not too bad a trainer, he seems to do his best in the work before the match. He's a pretty bad Second however, and is terrible for ringside advice.

his biggest flaw as a trainer is a terminal case of Anime Mentor Brain where he refuses to ever explicitly acknowledge what he's drilling into his fighter or why and instead he prefers for them to realize it after receiving a devastating several blow combination in round 4

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9f06e87e-3793-44de-b1c2-71d07cb95abe/1

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Finally, someone pointing out that all of those things are fouls.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Adnor posted:

Settle down about this extremely serious and real boxing manga

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1513735188970364929?t=uTPvZK3qyjmKkOL8BAwVGA&s=19

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

I'm still slowly working my way through the beginning of this thread when the Woli fight first came out in two thousand and loving NINE :corsair:

We all thought Ashita no Sendo was going to be sacrificed at the Aztec Alter of Martinez to motivate Ippo, but I would 100% take Mowgli getting pasted instead. A fight to surpass Takamura VS Hawk :madmax:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1379
Kumi with the hard hitting question. Just straight to it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

God she sucks so much.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kumi’s villan arc :v

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the mashiba family glare

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jiro posted:

God she sucks so much.

She's been way better since the beginning of Ippo's retirement. Her struggling vainly to take boxing out of him has been hilarious, and her increasing collection of evil glares makes for great stuff too.

Kumi is one misstep away from being the biggest villain in the series, I love it.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

if you had to watch the man you love get pummeled how ippo does every single fight he's in, you'd do anything for him to stop too

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's that, too: you can very easily root for her. She just wants to prevent the people she loves from getting brain damage.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

This is the best Kumi has ever been.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Maybe she'll feel differently now that Ippo has learned how to box.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The manga just had a conversation in which Kumi detailed how her brother's jaw was broken, Ippo responded by telling a story about another boxer whose jaw got so hosed up that he needed plastic surgery and now has troubled chewing. She's seen Ippo getting brutally beaten multiple times. She's also a nurse and likely has an acute understanding of the lifelong problems boxers can face.

But somehow she's an rear end in a top hat for not wanting her brother or ippo to box.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Monaghan posted:

The manga just had a conversation in which Kumi detailed how her brother's jaw was broken, Ippo responded by telling a story about another boxer whose jaw got so hosed up that he needed plastic surgery and now has troubled chewing. She's seen Ippo getting brutally beaten multiple times. She's also a nurse and likely has an acute understanding of the lifelong problems boxers can face.

But somehow she's an rear end in a top hat for not wanting her brother or ippo to box.

If it is the author's constant interpretation of having her constantly give death glares go out of her way to disapprove of her brother being in boxing and Ippo, and or doing passive aggressive poo poo in order for the reader to have dramatic tension. That's how I'm going to interpret it. The author could very well have her plainly explain her feelings and reservations about her fears that Ippo will go back and box like a loving adult, but that's not what this is. This poo poo has been going on since like, the 80s???? Morikawa very much writes using tv drama tropes and that's totally cool, it's part of the charm of this whole series about Ippo's enormous hog and sometimes about boxing badly.

She's written not well as a potential love interest because she's too much like Ippo when it comes to personality. There have already been a few women in his orbit that acknowledge his passion for boxing while also bringing up the dangers of that life and not going passive aggressive about poo poo.

I just really don't like how she's written as a character, and love interest, and it's just more so when you're dealing with adults just not expressing themselves all for the sake of years of lingering dramatic tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

She's written not well as a potential love interest because she's too much like Ippo when it comes to personality. There have already been a few women in his orbit that acknowledge his passion for boxing while also bringing up the dangers of that life and not going passive aggressive about poo poo.

tbf ippo is denser than lead and got hit in the face for a living, how is he supposed to recognize a personality that isn't his own

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 27, 2022