Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm a bit younger so it was Unreal Tournament 2k-something for us, and map-making was no longer trivial, but I remember that we did discuss how a map of our school would play, and if it would make better TDM or CTF or something.

It wasn't "man I really want to go berserk in here", we were in Europe, the school was rather chill and most of us had never touched a gun IRL. It was that we were teenager nerds and gaming was dominating whatever parts of our brain was left over from sex, and school was the only reasonably large and complex building where we spent any significant amount of time. The football / volleyball / athletics field or the local gaming shop would have made for pretty boring maps, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I mostly just did it irl instead

In my late teens I got into airsoft and we mostly played in a building that was once a school -- two stories all set up in a line with stairs at either end and a huge staircase in the middle. We usually played as teams starting on each side of the bottom floor, and The Matrix had recently come out, so I invested in knee pads and got very okay at sliding around corners and sliding to the corner of the top landing in the middle with a pair of MP5Ks at the ready

Yes, black combat boots and urban camo cargo pants were involved, why do you ask?

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:31 on May 2, 2022

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yep I also made a map of my high school in Wolfenstein, specifically so I could learn my classroom route as an incoming freshman. I made my teachers Mechahitlers. My mom thought I was so clever :allears:

FFT posted:

There was a really interesting Duke3d map that was four square rooms that "overlapped" and a square loop around them that connected to each room via one side, so as you ran around the loop you'd have access to a different room depending on which side of the square you were on

This was definitely in the Marathon maps too. They called it '5D space'. I used to make impossible maps like that for PvP arenas.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

lord funk posted:

Yep I also made a map of my high school in Wolfenstein

A building I’ve worked in a lot was
In GTA 4 so I had to take a few laps around the block, mowing everyone down

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

This was definitely in the Marathon maps too. They called it '5D space'. I used to make impossible maps like that for PvP arenas.
Was it 5D? I'd have figured 4D. Still, it was fuckin fascinating and yeah, the Duke3d one I'm remembering was 100% excellent for deathmatching though appropriately enough the most players I ever played it with was four

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FFT posted:

Did the same with Bungie's map editor for Marathon; it was really neat figuring out how to get rooms connected

There was a really interesting Duke3d map that was four square rooms that "overlapped" and a square loop around them that connected to each room via one side, so as you ran around the loop you'd have access to a different room depending on which side of the square you were on

It might have been even more complex where each square also had an exit on each side, so there were four "loops" on the outside? Think the corners had teleporters too. It was wild

Yeah, Tier Drops. I believe each room had a "pit" in the middle that would "drop" you to the next iteration of the center room.

The Build engine considered each room (or sometimes elements of rooms, like each single stair) a sector like the doom engine, but build could handle multiple overlapping sectors existing in the same space as long as you could only see one of them at a time.

You couldn't do a bridge or something because that would involve two floors and two ceilings that you could see at once, but you could have rooms over rooms as long as you could only see one of them.

Before you ask, the bridge at the end of e1m1 of duke 3d was just sprites laid flat to look like a bridge.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baron von Eevl posted:

Before you ask, the bridge at the end of e1m1 of duke 3d was just sprites laid flat to look like a bridge.
Well that's something I didn't realise has been been bugging me for nearly three decades. Thanks!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's a bridge at the end of e1m1 in Duke3d!? what

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FFT posted:

There's a bridge at the end of e1m1 in Duke3d!? what
IIRC you sprint across it to get to the end of level thing and then it (the bridge) explodes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Watched some youtube walk through, it's more of a walkway imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I'm a bit younger so it was Unreal Tournament 2k-something for us, and map-making was no longer trivial, but I remember that we did discuss how a map of our school would play, and if it would make better TDM or CTF or something.

It wasn't "man I really want to go berserk in here", we were in Europe, the school was rather chill and most of us had never touched a gun IRL. It was that we were teenager nerds and gaming was dominating whatever parts of our brain was left over from sex, and school was the only reasonably large and complex building where we spent any significant amount of time. The football / volleyball / athletics field or the local gaming shop would have made for pretty boring maps, after all.

Yeah, the point I was making was exactly that: everyone was making myhouse.wad or myschool.wad, and the only notable thing is that Harris did it of a real life place he'd actually shoot up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Israel: Well look Russia, we don’t like this Ukraine thing but we would like to mostly stay out of it to preserve our good relationship. We always got along with Putin, and a lot of our citizens have ties to Russia. We are happy to help you broker a peace deal. What do you think?

Russia: (holding up copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion) You can tell that the smelly Jew Zelensky is emulating his Nazi pals just like the biggest money grubbing Jew, Adolf Hitler.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

FFT posted:

Was it 5D? I'd have figured 4D. Still, it was fuckin fascinating and yeah, the Duke3d one I'm remembering was 100% excellent for deathmatching though appropriately enough the most players I ever played it with was four

They're doing this stuff in VR these days and it's amazing. Tea for god.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Humphreys posted:

I spent far too long trying to find the movie 'Top Kids'. Even after finding the title.

Cool Dad posted:

And after searching for "top kids movie" you're now on a list

Platystemon posted:

Wow you weren’t kidding.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

zedprime posted:

Um actually viruses are running Folding@home

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FFT posted:

Its 'non-euclidean space' defined by its non-compliance with euclidean geometry. I learned about them playing D&D as a kid(they are specifically why i don't draw maps anymore) and they are loving awesome

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bungie called it 5D space without really thinking it through. The engine supported overlapping sectors but the player would still have the same location in the coordinate space all the sectors shared, so you couldn't do what some games did and have you run down a short hallway and find yourself halfway across the level. Duke had, IIRC, lines or entities that would instantly teleport the player on contact while maintaining their orientation, so if you were careful to duplicate the surrounding area you could do stuff that was even less euclidean

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Woah, that’s a good one

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Leave it to a video game to make up a word for an existing concept and then have an entire generation think that that is the real word.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

haveblue posted:

Duke had, IIRC, lines or entities that would instantly teleport the player on contact while maintaining their orientation, so if you were careful to duplicate the surrounding area you could do stuff that was even less euclidean

I guess you could technically do that in duke3d but I don't think it would generally be a very convincing effect unless it was really dark and narrow. A similar effect was usually done vertically when jumping down a chute or something to give the impression of different heights and overlapping rooms. Think the opening of the first level, the "roof" at the beginning is roughly at the same elevation as the rest of the level but the vent you jump into to get to the street is a hidden teleporter that only activates near the bottom. You teleport to a similar vent and you're falling so fast in such a narrow space you can't really see the seam.

Water that you child submerge in was also a teleporter. I forget if the water textures defaulted to lowering your height and doing a slight bob or if you needed to tag for that, but you could set it to teleport you to a sector that had to be the exact same dimensions as the surface of the water and it would automatically apply underwater properties to the sector if that was how you entered.

You could break it by having a room with a "water surface" ceiling that you can just walk into and out of and then also link that to a puddle in another part of the map. When you go through the puddle into that room you're underwater, and you'll stay underwater until you swim through the water texture in the ceiling even if you leave that room.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

Leave it to a video game to make up a word for an existing concept and then have an entire generation think that that is the real word.

*strafes your post*

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Let me tell you about an entire generation thinking you can't read in a dream because of an episode of Batman: The Animated Series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Let me tell you about an entire generation thinking you can't read in a dream because of an episode of Batman: The Animated Series.

And probably many people like me who had a dream where they were semi-conscious during it, and could read, and then remembered Batman and got confused about what was going on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I saw that episode and went "Oh it's not just me"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Splicer posted:

I saw that episode and went "Oh it's not just me"

same lol

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

FFT posted:

You live in 4D already mate (depth, height, width, time)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I can read in my dreams and thought I was some kind of superhuman brain wizard after that episode. Turns out cartoons aren't always 100% accurate. I'm still kinda pissed about it, to be honest. Really think I would have been a good superhuman brain wizard.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The Crackhead Clubhouse › What would you do in this situation?

Nimb00da posted:

I ran out of weed a few days ago and I was going to buy another gram today, because I really wanted to get stoned tonight. I was not, however, looking forward to shelling out the loot, even though it wouldn't be that expensive, but still, I'm broke.

Imagine my surprise and pleasure, then, when I was on my way to class and came upon about a gram and a half or so just sitting on the ground. Waiting for me! I snatched it up and pocketed it without taking a good look at it- such things should be done in private, I reckoned.

Now that I take a look at it, it looks absolutely fine. There's no mold or anything, it smells just exactly like it should, and the texture is perfect (aside from being a little dry, which I think could be a result of just sitting outside for a while.)

Still, though, I did find it on the ground. I have no idea where it came from. My guess is that it just fell out of somebody's pocket while they were fishing for their keys (I found it right beside a fairly major sidewalk leading up to three four different dorms) but for all I know somebody might have willfully thrown it away for a good reason. But then why outside, where some dope like me might pick it up? Why not in the trash can?

So, gentle goons, give me some advice in this situation. Do I pu my trust in the weed gods, smoke it and risk my health for a gram and a half of free weed, innocent though it seems, or do I put this back where I found it and buy some I know is good?

xenorph posted:

smoooooooke found weed gets u higher than poo poo u pay for cuz its free :P

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I can't believe that's the one of those two posters that got banned. This forum used to be so loving lame

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

flavor.flv posted:

I can't believe that's the one of those two posters that got banned. This forum used to be so loving lame

It was a different time, gentle goon.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
But did he smoke it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Funny thing is, that episode isn't entirely off base, but simplifies how it usually goes; you can dream about reading but the contents of the page or whatever you are reading aren't likely to stay the same in between looking at them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah TCC used to be cool as hell

Watched a "friend" of mine host a crack party with his 2 year old upstairs

quote:

It's a 2 year old kid. She was probably asleep, and she wouldn't understand what was going on if she saw it. What danger is she in that she isn't in when her parents are sober? I think you might be overreacting a bit. Like you said, they seemed like a functional bunch.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

What if he is able to take perfect care of the child regardless of his state of mind, would you impose, as you call it, your opinion on him?

Blarticus posted:

and what if he has a grimoire full of effective spells to bring his kid back to life if it dies

I feel so much like an rear end in a top hat for laughing at this

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Just because you have a kid doesn't mean you have to stop smoking crack, you just have to be more responsible about it.

Sage words from sage goons.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pentyne posted:

Sage words from sage goons.

If you think about it, if he smokes a lot of crack AND takes care of the kid? That would prove he's a great parent

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

there's a reason the phrase "crackhead logic" exists

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The "best" thing about reading old TCC threads is seeing all the permabanned posters and realizing that they are banned for dying from OD'ng, not from shitposting. I think there was literally a poster (posters?) who began with "i'm just gonna start doing some recreational heroin like all the cool peeps around here are doing no worries i know what i'm doing" and their account gets banned after a year or so, having run their entire life off a cliff. I was in my early twenties and still interested in trying out all kinds of poo poo, but reading TCC scared me straight from ever getting involved with serious drugs. (H)arm reduction at work :smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Famous for Backpanther, that one joke about how one drug is the Ocarina of Time tune that teleports you to the hospital, and also one very tilted ex-mod who got mad they faced actual consequences for suggesting someone take LSD instead of going to rehab when they said they wanted to stop doing drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The ocarina joke isn't an SA original. Bluelight or somewhere I think. SWIM thinks.