Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SCheeseman posted:

I was surprised that they didn't have per-game profiles for the power/framerate stuff. I have to assume its coming, maybe once they fill out the feature set (adding core parking, SMT switching etc)?

It's such a useful thing on it's own that per-game power profiles has got to be one of the more asked-for features, at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Intergalactic Fishing is chill and very good on the Deck.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone tried Chernobylite? I've been reading it has performance issues on the deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dpulex posted:

Anyone tried Chernobylite? I've been reading it has performance issues on the deck

Supposedly very choppy on Xbox too even with the new patch. Looks amazing though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have it downloaded, I can give it a try real quick.

Had to turn it down to medium for it to run at an OK FPS but it seems to be fine even out on a mission at the Moscow Eye at that setting. My TDP is limited to 10 watts and I do use variable rate shading. Started to chug a bit more at High settings, but only in a few spots.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 1, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve decided to hold off on Death Stranding till the 40hz stuff comes to stable and I’ve been playing a lot of Dishonored.

I realize the game is 10 years old but drat it plays and looks great. The sticks on the Deck really are the best in the business.

I also have intergalactic fishing installed but I haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the game though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunic plays amazingly well on the Steam Deck and looks really, really good. That's mostly what I've been using my Deck for lately despite spending 6+ hours installing Spyro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have a lovely meme.

It is nice being able to play dishonored at 60fps and get like 4.5 hours battery life though where Death Stranding barely gets 2.

Obviously DS looks significantly better but the older games run so good and look pretty drat good too. Also the battery life is great.

The deck is a hell of a backlog machine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I get why people want more battery life because duh, but I don't understand what they were expecting either did they think valve invented some magic battery that could play AAA games meant for PCs and PS5s and XSX for 8 hours on a portable console that's slightly bigger than a laptop battery?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I get why people want more battery life because duh, but I don't understand what they were expecting either did they think valve invented some magic battery that could play AAA games meant for PCs and PS5s and XSX for 8 hours on a portable console that's slightly bigger than a laptop battery?

nobody is surprised or voicing disappointment here over the battery life

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm talking about the general discourse I've seen online not this thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The amount of videos I've seen where people crank every detail setting to max and then complain that the Deck performs poorly leads me to the natural conclusion that internet people are dumb as gently caress.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

The amount of videos I've seen where people crank every detail setting to max and then complain that the Deck performs poorly leads me to the natural conclusion that internet people are dumb as gently caress.

people ordered this thing without even knowing what it is, of course they’re dumb as gently caress

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing stuff like cranking settings down to low and locking to 30 in order to max out battery life. It depends on the game but in many cases low graphics still looks fine on such a small screen. There's really no need to burn extra power on heavy AA or shadows, especially when you will struggle to notice the difference.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I run into some weird poo poo like Chernobylite defaulting to ultra settings but seeing as they're still full-fledged PC games it's easy enough to just dial it down and basically this:

Dramicus posted:

There's really no need to burn extra power on heavy AA or shadows, especially when you will struggle to notice the difference.

3-4 hours gaming on 3D games is about what I got on my Switch so I'm happy to get that plus more on chill easier to run titles.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
People were surprised when Zelda would give you like 2 and a half hours of battery life on the launch Switch. Everyone was spoiled by the good battery life of low power Nintendo portables for so long they were completely shocked. It's like they don't even remember the GameGear, Turbo Express, Lynx, or Nomad - cutting edge handhelds always had bad battery life.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone get gyro look work In American truck sim? I see a setting to enable it, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I really like the sticks on this. Quake and doom 2016 feel great on this.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Anyone get gyro look work In American truck sim? I see a setting to enable it, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything?

Is the setting you are enabling in game or in the Steam controller configuration? There is a system setting in the controller configuration for each game that enables gyro. Also I think it lets you select what button to hold down to activate it, not sure about that one though.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

loudog999 posted:

Is the setting you are enabling in game or in the Steam controller configuration? There is a system setting in the controller configuration for each game that enables gyro. Also I think it lets you select what button to hold down to activate it, not sure about that one though.
Even if there isn't a setting to adjust it, I thought it was putting fingers on top of the analog sticks to activate gyro.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

minusX posted:

Even if there isn't a setting to adjust it, I thought it was putting fingers on top of the analog sticks to activate gyro.

I still think you need to enable it in system settings. This is just going off of what I experienced in Phantom Pain. Gyro wasn’t working until I went into controller configuration, enabled it, then you get the option for it to behave like a joystick or mouse.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

loudog999 posted:

I haven't touched in-game controls. Steam controller config has it all laid out, and under Gyro Behavior I have the options (Mouse Look, Truck Scene Camera Move, Truck Scene Camera Look, etc) but they don't seem to do anything. I tried to set it to always-on, or activated by touch.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Edit: nm.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What is a recommended power bank to use for the Deck? I have a vacation with the family and in laws coming up and between myself and all the kids that will be there I am going to need one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Second one you need a 60W battery pack. I’ll try and find the video but not all battery packs work that great so you’ll probably need a different one.

https://youtu.be/O9yi8y2fm6w

I’d just get this one In the video.

Sometimes even if the listed specs say it should work it might not.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If a power pack is advertised to work with Macbooks, it should probably also work with the deck. As far as power requirements go, you should think of the deck like a laptop.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

loudog999 posted:

What is a recommended power bank to use for the Deck? I have a vacation with the family and in laws coming up and between myself and all the kids that will be there I am going to need one.

You need a USB PD 2.0+ with 45W+ output from a single port (in other words, capable of 20V Power Delivery Power Rating).

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 2, 2022

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I’d just get this one In the video.

Sometimes even if the listed specs say it should work it might not.

Perfect, I ordered the Baseus one for about $45 from Amazon. Thanks.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

Got my RMA back after two weeks, but now the new one's lost the fan lottery. :negative:

Pirate Jet posted:

Don’t know if you’re aware what the “fan lottery” is, but there’s two manufacturers Valve sourced fans from. They both perform equally well, it’s just that one makes a mildly annoying whistling noise as it runs. Otherwise my replacement Deck works great, I wouldn’t be too worried about your unit being compromised.

got mine today, same :mad: it's very annoying, almost worse as with not so greatly functional right trackpad

/wow this sucks so much. really hate that noise it makes now.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 2, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Update to the beta, they fixed the fan curve so there actually is a fan curve.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

For the bad fan, maybe try using the black tape trick?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WDg_SEBEA

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089D4176K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it seems to work great with the steam deck. Keeps it charging under load.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dang my gf got her preorder on Thursday but was only watching for emails on Mondays :( emailed support, hopefully she can still get one!

Edit: is support@steampowered.com the best way to contact them about this?

2nd Edit: Steam emailed back with a link, Deck purchased!

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 3, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SCheeseman posted:

Update to the beta, they fixed the fan curve so there actually is a fan curve.

drat, thanks so much. Huge difference :glomp:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I simply cannot fathom wanting to play graphically intensive games on the Deck and yet I am always surprised and intrigued when I see it work.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Has anyone had any experience with playing the Final Fantasy 5 or 6 Pixel Remasters? I know the first four are Deck Verified™ and I went through FF3 just fine, but I'm wondering what if any caveats there are about the last two since I've still yet to play a non-verified game on mine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Has anyone had any experience with playing the Final Fantasy 5 or 6 Pixel Remasters? I know the first four are Deck Verified™ and I went through FF3 just fine, but I'm wondering what if any caveats there are about the last two since I've still yet to play a non-verified game on mine.

I really have to imagine they would work just fine I bet they all have the same wrapper and there isn’t much different between them besides the “Roms”

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Persona 4 Golden and Batman Arkham City were verified today, that’s a lotta game I kinda want to replay

Veotax
May 16, 2006

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I've played a little of 6, it works fine so far. Only 'problem' is the game doesn't have a built in keyboard so any time you need to name a character you need to bring up the Deck's keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What was the time cutoff for 512 in the last batch for the US? The calculator says I should be getting my email next Monday, but that feels like too soon and I'd like to temper my expectations.