Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You were just saying a few minutes ago that the stimulus bill wasn't big enough, though.

The stimulus bill did likely contribute to inflation. But, not a significant amount. The U.S. has inflation about 1.2% higher than other OECD countries, so our monetary/fiscal policy and our use of the dollar as a world reserve currency likely makes up that difference. But, the stimulus bill didn't increase inflation in every other country by ~6% at the exact same time. And inflation didn't hit the world until about 7 months after the Stimulus bill.

The stimulus bill should have been less about pork and more focused on the average joe. I bet if trump won he would have just passed $2000 checks and that would be the whole thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ellasmith posted:

The stimulus bill should have been less about pork and more focused on the average joe. I bet if trump won he would have just passed $2000 checks and that would be the whole thing.

But again, these were BILLS passed by unanimous consent of Congress and the Senate, and worth noting McConnell was clear: If the GOP retained majority, there would not be another stimulus going out, and when they lost the election, they were clear about using it to hurt Biden as much as psosible.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...ble-11602165668
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/12/30/mitch-mcconnell-increased-stimulus-checks-checks-no-realistic-path/4091775001/

So no.

quote:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell again blocked quick passage of a bill to increase coronavirus stimulus payments to $2,000, arguing the measure has "no realistic path to quickly pass the Senate."

The Kentucky Republican said the only path forward is to combine the increased stimulus payments with two contentious policies that President Donald Trump also demanded Congress examine: Repealing Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which allows certain legal protections for big tech companies, and establishing a commission to study the 2020 election after Trump's baseless claims of widespread voter fraud.

McConnell's push to combine the three provisions in one bill is a methodical strategy that likely ensures increased stimulus payments will not pass Congress, as Democrats and Republicans view big tech protections and Trump's claims on the election very differently.

"Here's the deal. The Senate is not going to split apart the three issues that President Trump linked together just because Democrats are afraid to address two of them," McConnell said on the Senate floor Wednesday. "The Senate is not going to be bullied into rushing out more borrowed money into the hands of Democrats' rich friends who don't need the help."

Even more the Stimulus was now tied to the GOP trying to push for investigations into non-existent Voter Fraud.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 2, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ellasmith posted:

Hmm interesting but tell us more about what you and your physical therapist and doctor do please

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hmm interesting but tell us more about what you and your physical therapist and doctor do please

Not the right thread for that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ellasmith posted:

I don’t know about other countries, but you can’t tell me the 2 trillion dollar covid stimulus didn’t contribute.

I mean, I can't tell you if you don't want to hear certain things that dont' agree with what you have in your head.

We put out way way way more money via quantitative easing and tax cuts under trump and it didn't touch inflation.

Loving the spin from "I'm voting for Trump because he gives the working class money" to "Biden giving the working class less was actually inflationary"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, I can't tell you if you don't want to hear certain things that dont' agree with what you have in your head.

We put out way way way more money via quantitative easing and tax cuts under trump and it didn't touch inflation.

Loving the spin from "I'm voting for Trump because he gives the working class money" to "Biden giving the working class less was actually inflationary"

Let's be fair, they specified that their problem with it was that much of it went to companies instead of "average joes."

Those companies then did stock buybacks and fired employees. Some companies posted record profits and the money went into the pockets of the wealthy.

Caring about who gives them stuff (mostly material but also progress on social issues) and/or the perception of who gives them stuff is what matters for a lot of people in their decision-making process. But material gains (or the perception of them) is going to win out in many cases.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 3, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cranappleberry posted:

Let's be fair, they specified that their problem with it was that much of it went to companies instead of "average joes."

Those companies then did stock buybacks and fired employees. Some companies posted record profits and the money went into the pockets of the wealthy.

Caring about who gives them stuff (mostly material but also progress on social issues) and/or the perception of who gives them stuff is what matters for a lot of people in their decision-making process. But material gains (or the perception of them) is going to win out in many cases.

If giving money to companies was inflationary, they'd have an issue with QE or the Trump tax cuts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cranappleberry posted:

Unless you are counting giving people money to pay their rent/mortgage or buying vaccines, then $0 of the stimulus bill went directly to corporations.

About 88% of the bill was either direct aid to individuals or aid to state, local, and tribal governments.

It was the CARES act that had a large chunk made up of the PPP loans that went directly to businesses or employers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Anonymous Democrats are resuming their campaign of trying to get Diane Feinstein to step down. They had initially stopped because of the California recall election, then started back up again, then stopped after her husband died.

Everyone commented anonymously or off record (except for Schumer - for some reason - who didn't even try to defend her), but the times says their anonymous sources include at least 12 Democratic Senators, so they are gunning for her to step down.

Feinstein still says retiring has "no appeal" to her.

Pelosi seems to be the only person who is willing to go on the record and defend her.

quote:

As Feinstein Declines, Democrats Struggle to Manage an Open Secret

WASHINGTON — She was once pressed to run for governor of California by President Bill Clinton. She was considered as a running mate to former Vice President Walter F. Mondale. And after the bitter 2008 Democratic primary, it was in her living room that former Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton met to make peace.

These days, however, Senator Dianne Feinstein, the trailblazing Democratic power broker who has served in the Senate for 30 years, is far from the towering presence she once was on the American political stage.

At 88, Ms. Feinstein sometimes struggles to recall the names of colleagues, frequently has little recollection of meetings or telephone conversations, and at times walks around in a state of befuddlement — including about why she is increasingly dogged by questions about whether she is fit to serve in the Senate representing the 40 million residents of California, according to half a dozen lawmakers and aides who spoke about the situation on the condition of anonymity.

On Capitol Hill, it is widely — though always privately — acknowledged that Ms. Feinstein suffers from acute short-term memory issues that on some days are ignorable, but on others raise concern among those who interact with her.

Ms. Feinstein is often engaged during meetings and phone conversations, usually coming prepared and taking notes. But hours later, she will often have forgotten those interactions, said the people familiar with the situation, who insisted that they not be named because they did not want to be quoted disparaging a figure they respect.

Some of them said they did not expect her to serve out her term ending in 2024 under the circumstances, even though she refuses to engage in conversations about stepping down.

A recent article in The San Francisco Chronicle, her hometown paper, reported that some of Ms. Feinstein’s colleagues believe she is mentally incompetent to serve. It recounted in brutal detail the signs of her decline on the job, an open secret that leading Democrats have quietly accepted as the status quo, but that some people close to her worry has become a spectacle that could tarnish her legacy.

One Democratic lawmaker who had an extended encounter with Ms. Feinstein in February said in an interview that the experience was akin to acting as a caregiver for a person in need of constant assistance. The lawmaker recalled having to reintroduce themself to the senator multiple times, helping her locate her purse repeatedly and answering the same set of basic, small-talk questions over and over again.

A second Democratic lawmaker who was also present said the conversation took place on a flight. In a statement, the second lawmaker described their own interaction with Ms. Feinstein as “pleasant and brief” and not otherwise out of the ordinary. (Last week, Ms. Feinstein was spotted flying in first class from San Francisco to Washington with her longtime housekeeper seated next to her.)

Pressed last week about Ms. Feinstein’s ability to serve, Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, neither defended her nor tried to dismiss the issue.

“I’ve had a good number of discussions with Senator Feinstein,” he told reporters, “but I’m keeping them to myself.”

Annette Blum, a stepdaughter, said Ms. Feinstein had always been adamant about making her own decisions, whether or not the rest of the family agreed.

“We have the utmost respect for her life in public service and her career,” Ms. Blum said in an interview. “The decision is ultimately hers. We will all be there to support her in whatever decision she makes. The whole family feels this way.”

In 2018, when Ms. Feinstein decided to seek her sixth term in office, she was already facing questions about her age and mental acuity. But she insisted there were no issues — “My mind is fine,” she said in an interview at the time — and Mr. Schumer and the Democrats’ Senate campaign committee supported her re-election bid.

Ms. Feinstein’s supporters argue she did her party a favor by staying. The decision meant that Democrats “avoided an expensive open-seat race in California, so our state’s Democratic donors could focus on helping other candidates across the country,” said Jeffrey Millman, who served as her campaign manager that year. “Today, with her seniority, Senator Feinstein is an effective and indispensable leader for our state in the Senate.”

Most lawmakers argue that the only people who can tell a senator it is time to retire are family members. But Ms. Feinstein’s husband, the financier and Democratic megadonor Richard C. Blum, who passed away in February, shared his wife’s stubborn nature and unwillingness to consider an exit from the Senate. Last year, he was still telling friends she could run again in 2024.

When they would bring up questions about Ms. Feinstein’s ability to continue serving, he would shrug them off, according to two people who discussed the issue with him.

“What else is she going to do?” Mr. Blum would respond, they said.

After her husband’s death, Ms. Feinstein was under tremendous strain and there were conversations among those close to her about whether she might step away from the Senate. But in the months since, the people said, she has become set on continuing her work.

Ms. Feinstein has no plans to leave before the end of her term, a spokesman said.

“It’s true the last year has been difficult caring for my dying husband and grieving over his passing, but I’ve remained committed to achieving results and I would put my record up against anyone’s,” Ms. Feinstein said in a statement, noting that she secured millions of dollars in government funding for her state, among other achievements. “If the question is whether I’m an effective senator for 40 million Californians, the record shows that I am.”

Questions about her mental capacity have circulated for years. During the 2018 Supreme Court nomination hearings for Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, people who worked with her said she struggled to remember the names of staff aides. In 2020, amid questions about her ability to lead the powerful Judiciary Committee, she was forced out as the top Democrat on the panel, an episode that people close to her said was deeply disappointing for the senator, who believed she had done the work, had waited her turn and was fully competent to lead the panel.

Ms. Feinstein’s fiercest defenders concede that she sometimes needs to be told the same information multiple times, and she herself admits to forgetting conversations at times. But her allies insist that, despite the realities of aging, she is in command of her office.

“She still calls the shots,” said Jennifer Duck, a former chief of staff to Ms. Feinstein. “If she didn’t call the shots, I’m sure lots of people would have helped her move onto something else.”

But in the United States Senate, there is a long tradition of powerful men who have failed to move onto anything else, even long after it was glaringly apparent that they could no longer function on their own.

In his final years in office, former Senator Strom Thurmond, Republican of South Carolina, who retired at the age of 100, could barely speak or hear and relied on staff members to help him on and off the Senate floor, where they could also be heard telling him how to vote.

Ms. Feinstein, people close to her said, is far more independent, and some argue that she is being held to a sexist double standard.

“She is a loyal and dutiful member of the committee,” said Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, who was chosen to step in as chairman of the judiciary panel after Ms. Feinstein was pushed aside.

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island, declined to comment about his interactions with Ms. Feinstein on the panel, where they serve together. “I’ll leave that to Senator Schumer,” he said.

Over a half-century career in politics, Ms. Feinstein rose from a member of the San Francisco board of supervisors to the heights of Democratic power. She created Joshua Tree National Park, wrote the 1994 assault weapons ban and, as the detail-oriented, hard-charging chairwoman of the Intelligence Committee, produced the 6,700-page torture report on the excesses of the war on terrorism.

In recent years, she has become a target of progressive rage for giving Republicans, including former President Donald J. Trump, the benefit of the doubt — an approach that was common in the courtly Senate she joined in the 1990s, but one that has faded as political polarization has deepened. Some of her allies dismiss the questions about her mental capacity as attacks by Democrats who simply do not like Ms. Feinstein’s old-fashioned style.

To Ms. Feinstein, the questions about her fitness are mystifying and offensive.

She grows angry at the mention of the prospect that she might consider stepping down, pointing out that she still excels at securing funds for California, shows up to vote, attends hearings and leads the spending panel that controls energy and water programs.

Some lawmakers have privately raised red flags about Ms. Feinstein to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who in a statement said it was “unconscionable” that the senator was “being subjected to these ridiculous attacks that are beneath the dignity in which she has led and the esteem in which she is held.”

Others appear to have grown impatient with the situation. At a hearing in January, Ms. Feinstein clashed with Senator Amy Klobuchar, Democrat of Minnesota, over a bipartisan antitrust bill that Ms. Klobuchar had put forward, asserting that the Biden administration was opposed.

“I have been told that,” Ms. Feinstein told Ms. Klobuchar, who pressed to know where her colleague had heard it. “You may not like it.”

Ms. Klobuchar responded, “Well no, I don’t like it at all, because I think that it’s not true.”

Despite such unpleasant moments, Ms. Feinstein’s former colleagues say the decision to end a long career in the Senate can be difficult.

Former Senator Tom Harkin, Democrat of Iowa, recalled going through “a lot of soul-searching” before deciding to forgo a re-election bid in 2013 after three decades in the Senate.

“You hate to leave all the things that go along with the office, and after all that amount of time, you’ve got seniority, and you’ve got great staff,” said Mr. Harkin, who was speaking from the Bahamas, where he owns a home and has taken up sailing. “I was satisfied that I got enough things done.”

Retiring, people close to Ms. Feinstein said, holds little appeal for her. She wants to keep working.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/02/us/politics/dianne-feinstein-memory-issues.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 3, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
People who mention "too much pork" seldom have any idea how much "pork" is in the bill they're complaining about.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Reuters did a deep dive into why Latino voters are down on voting Dem, as the NPR-Marist poll showed last week:

quote:

Hispanics Lose Faith in Democrats Over Inflation as U.S. Elections Loom

Even a small loss of support among Hispanics - a key component of the Democratic coalition of voters that brought President Joe Biden to power - could mean the loss of the House of Representatives and possibly the Senate for Democrats.

Four of the top 15 congressional targets for Republicans are races with heavy Mexican-American populations, according to Mike Madrid, a Republican strategist based in California.

Inflation is now the top worry among Hispanic voters, according to an Axios-Ipsos poll released in March. A Quinnipiac University poll published on April 13 found that just 26% of Hispanic voters approved of Biden's job performance, the lowest mark of any demographic.

That could be a further sign of what pollsters say is a long-term erosion of support for Democrats among Latinos.

While Biden won 61% of Latino voters in the 2020 presidential election, there was an 8% percent swing toward his Republican opponent, Donald Trump, Democratic polling firm Catalist found in 2021.

Of the 18 Hispanic voters in Phoenix who spoke to Reuters, all said inflation was by far the most pressing issue for them. Record-high gas prices, and a doubling and tripling in the cost of food, was putting enormous strain on family budgets.

"Groceries skyrocketing and gas prices rising!" blared a Republican ad against Kelly on Spanish-language television in Arizona in March.

Not all are changing their vote. Daniella Villa, 36, arriving at El Super grocery story in Maryvale, said inflation was hard and gas prices were "crazy," but she will still back Kelly and the Democrats this November.

Kelly has urged the Biden administration to take more steps to lower gas prices and introduced a Senate bill to temporarily suspend the federal gas tax.

A White House spokesperson blamed high prices largely on Russia's invasion of Ukraine and said Latino families had benefited from Biden's 2021 $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan Act, which expanded the child tax credit, sent direct cash payments to most Americans, and bailed out businesses.

"President Biden knows how higher prices can impact a family budget," the spokesperson said. "This is why he is fighting every day to bring down gas prices and lowering kitchen table costs that are squeezing Latino families across the country."

Jaime Regalado, professor of political science at California State University, Los Angeles, and an expert on Hispanic voting patterns, said inflation was a nightmare issue for Democrats.

"We are coming into a midterm cycle that rarely favors the party in power, even in better times. Throw inflation into the picture, without knowing if it's going to end any time soon, it shows the peril Democrats have in 2022 with Latino voters," he said.

Americans of all backgrounds say inflation is a concern. But a 2021 Bank of America survey found that people of color, especially Black and Latino households, spend proportionally more of their income on staples prone to price hikes such as food and gas and that inflation hits them hardest.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

If giving money to companies was inflationary, they'd have an issue with QE or the Trump tax cuts.

It's a fake comparison specifically because the stimulus bills Trump signed were incredibly slanted toward big business bailouts both by letter of the law and the oversight his fox-in-every-henhouse administrative agencies gave it. Only a quarter of the CARES act was individual payments and close to half was direct to businesses, with the rest to health systems and state/local government. The business payments were about an even split between large business and "small businesses" but it turned out that whoops the administration sent lots of that to large or administration-connected businesses too. I mean, I got a stimulus check, and the little company I work for got one of those loans for not laying anyone off, but let's not pretend it wasn't part of why 2020 was such a windfall for a lot of already wealthy people.

ARP was about the same size as CARES but more slanted toward various forms of individual payments, bailouts for state/local governments that had seen their revenues gutted for a year, and schools. I don't have kids to get the child tax credit, for example, but some of my family and friends do so good for them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
"Demographics is Destiny" is so laughable in hindsight. I'll laugh when Trump gets like 40% of the Latino vote in 2024 because Biden and the Democratic Party are so useless.

Willa Rogers posted:

A Quinnipiac University poll published on April 13 found that just 26% of Hispanic voters approved of Biden's job performance, the lowest mark of any demographic.

Holy poo poo! LMAO!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao that Dems are allowing a non-sentient thousand-year-old to continue at her powerful job out of :decorum:

I had a hearty lol at this:

quote:

(Last week, Ms. Feinstein was spotted flying in first class from San Francisco to Washington with her longtime housekeeper seated next to her.)

because odds are prolly 50-50 whether she had mistaken the housekeeper for her chief of staff.

eta: Now thinking of how Dems love using that "drive the car into the ditch" metaphor about Republicans and the natural extension of that into their current tack of "please, won't someone take the car keys from Grammy Dianne? :ohdear: "

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 3, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unless you are counting giving people money to pay their rent/mortgage or buying vaccines, then $0 of the stimulus bill went directly to corporations.

About 88% of the bill was either direct aid to individuals or aid to state, local, and tribal governments.

It was the CARES act that had a large chunk made up of the PPP loans that went directly to businesses or employers.

Jaxyon posted:

Addressing the technicalities over the main thrust of their argument

I am not saying don't correct the wrong info or be nice. My argument is not in support of what they are saying or whether it's correct, but about understanding it and then properly communicating to appropriately address the issue they bring up.

Obviously people here read into it differently because they see RW talking points, zero in on them instantly and then go work to shut it down. The way I interpreted their argument (assuming their good faith) boiled down to that they need money/regular people like them need money, Trump did that for them, dems did not do enough, inflation was caused by giving money to corporations and social issues take a back seat.

That's what I was thinking when I replied to Jaxyon's post. "Is what they said actually being addressed?"

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao that Dems are allowing a non-sentient thousand-year-old to continue at her powerful job out of :decorum:

I had a hearty lol at this:

because odds are prolly 50-50 whether she had mistaken the housekeeper for her chief of staff.

eta: Now thinking of how Dems love using that "drive the car into the ditch" metaphor about Republicans and the natural extension of that into their current tack of "please, won't someone take the car keys from Grammy Dianne? :ohdear: "

What is the mechanism they should use to force her out? You seem to be alluding to some option that the Democratic Party has to force her to resign, but is choosing not to do so because of "decorum." Do you mean that they should expel her from the Senate? Based on prior precedent that's only been used for Senators committing treason, are you suggesting she's committing treason?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
If that person is for real not trolling, they seriously need to lurk more. Biden and the dems suck, and we do have to be able to have discussion with viewpoints that are fundamentally flawed or maybe even reprehensible to us. It's just hard to see "I'm going to vote for trump in 2024 cuz he cut covid checks better" as anything but laughable (though it may be representative of many Americans actual views [we're hosed hail satan]).

Such views only highlight the failure of our systems, political educational economical and cultural and ok you know the rest by now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The ultimate "big if true". Also kind of crazy that something like this would leak?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1521288272021901312

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

E: f,b https://twitter.com/politico/status/1521288272021901312?t=mLuE5Xtc3Gf2zVjyDhufGw&s=19

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If this is real (and I'm seeing a poo poo ton on twitter) does it change the midterms at all?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm sure each justice has at least one woman clerking for them. I would not find a leak surprising at all.

Upgrade posted:

What is the mechanism they should use to force her out? You seem to be alluding to some option that the Democratic Party has to force her to resign, but is choosing not to do so because of "decorum." Do you mean that they should expel her from the Senate? Based on prior precedent that's only been used for Senators committing treason, are you suggesting she's committing treason?

You have to be mentally competent to be treasonous. But thanks for answering your own question.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Upgrade posted:

For starters, they could go on the record instead of hiding behind oblique, background comments to the press and tacitly allowing a dementia-ridden senator to ride out her term when she obviously isn't up to the job, even with her staffers' assist.

Of course, if they did publicly call for Feinstein's retirement because of cognitive decline instead of hiding behind anon attributions then that might bring up the icky sitch of their Democratic president's cognitive decline as well.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/zackstanton/status/1521287480347086849?t=wcSy4wvq_A5NRQdtUlUh7Q&s=19

Welp. Insane that someone is leaking from the court but seems like things are turning out for the worst

e:fb

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

LionArcher posted:

If this is real (and I'm seeing a poo poo ton on twitter) does it change the midterms at all?

Bitterly lmao that Casey led to the overturning of Roe as some of us predicted three decades ago.

But let the Big Tent prevail!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gonna laugh so hard if abortion keeps the Dems in charge though. The GOP are as dumb and capable of own goals as anyone.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Anno posted:

The ultimate "big if true". Also kind of crazy that something like this would leak?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1521288272021901312

Don't bury the lead

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1521289387073433602?t=RNxlwQuEho2IbesLcULNFA&s=19

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1521289584381890561?t=-xA_ZLfMNuPb5sLlJTNDKg&s=19

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

holy poo poo at the last one

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/zackstanton/status/1521287480347086849?t=wcSy4wvq_A5NRQdtUlUh7Q&s=19

Welp. Insane that someone is leaking from the court but seems like things are turning out for the worst

If you, the person reading this, support the existence of the Supreme Court and the Democratic Party, you support this ruling and allowed it to happen. Congrats!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you, the person reading this, support the existence of the Supreme Court and the Democratic Party, you support this ruling and allowed it to happen. Congrats!

it's cool that whatever you support prevented this from happening. thank you goon sir or madame!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Thank God you prevented it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Gonna laugh so hard if abortion keeps the Dems in charge though. The GOP are as dumb and capable of own goals as anyone.

I doubt that'll happen, given the decimation of Roe via Casey, although I'm certain that Dems will wail & fundraise on it. Abortion was already near but impossible to obtain in many states bc of the onerous restrictions sanctioned by Casey and seized upon by red states.

The scotus decision likely will lead to the pre-Roe status of abortion being legal in some states and illegal in others, not the criminalization of abortion across the entire country.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How’s the weather over in whatever galaxy your brain is currently in?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on the Supreme Court overturning abortion rights

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Supreme Court is fundamentally illegitimate. Also, gloating like this is incredibly juvenile and gauche.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Thank God you prevented it.

I don’t think Biden is god but he can prevent this right now along with the rest of the Democratic Party.

Pretty easy mind you. Just requires human rights to matter to democrats and their supporters, which they do not.

Arist posted:

The Supreme Court is fundamentally illegitimate.

Correct.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Maybe now Democrats will focus on state Dem parties & candidates as much as they've needed to & haven't in recent years.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

rscott posted:

It’d be nice to believe that Democrats have a plan for dealing with this other than fundraising off of it, but I have no faith left in them.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

The scotus decision likely will lead to the pre-Roe status of abortion being legal in some states and illegal in others, not the criminalization of abortion across the entire country.

I’m not so sure given text of the ruling, if the leak is to be believed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If it's true, any prosecutor who tries to prosecute a woman for getting an abortion should have their home address leaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’m not so sure given text of the ruling, if the leak is to be believed.

Especially given the line about an unbroken chain of punishment, or however it went exactly.