Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

It's going to be interesting to see if Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema stand united on this one. This is going to get really intense.

How about this. I'll bet you $100 they won't do poo poo. "Intense" my rear end.

marshmonkey posted:

wonder if Collins and Murkowski feel embarrassed enough to lend their votes to this.

No, Jesus Christ are you people still being credulous at this point or just trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Discendo Vox posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about how the government works, or in speaking honestly about how it works, you shouldn't be in this subforum.

This would require them to have the 50 votes to change the procedure.

wonder if Collins and Murkowski feel embarrassed enough to lend their votes to this.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

How about this. I'll bet you $100 they won't do poo poo. "Intense" my rear end.

No, Jesus Christ are you people still being credulous at this point or just trolling?

I mean, I would like to see a journalist ask them this. Is that so loving dumb?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

paranoid randroid posted:

"Sure we failed to deliver on literally anything, and in fact let one of our cornerstone policies get totally repealed, but when you think about it isn't this all the voters' fault?"

You can’t magic things into passing just because you want it to. Politics is a numbers game, and if you don’t have the numbers, tough poo poo. The GOP got this win because their voters kept on pushing for it. They didn’t throw their hands up and say well you promised you were going to get Roe overturned 20 years ago, and you didn’t so I am not voting for you.

Progressives have that loser attitude, and that’s why Roe got overturned, and in a few years we will be having the same arguments over Obergefell because only one side plays to win, even if it takes time, and the other side takes their toys and goes home everytime they don’t get what they want.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

obama could have codified roe, possibly without even needing to abolish the filibuster - there were at least 2 gop votes for it. i am unsure as to whether the decision was made not to do so because it was considered bad politics or if because they simply didn't feel it was a priority, but either way it was clearly the wrong decision. and incredibly short-sighted, as the dem party often is.

Looks like it was the latter.

https://twitter.com/qaomene/status/1521299915699195905

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

The dem Nay vote was Henry Cuellar of Texas

Oh hey this is the guy that Nancy Pelosi and other top dems are actively supporting against a primary challenger.

https://twitter.com/OurRevolution/status/1519079493373149184

Really cool party, very supportive of human rights.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I'll believe Democrats might sorta maybe think about doing something about this if they cut Henry Cuellar loose.

Not holding my breath.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

You can’t magic things into passing just because you want it to. Politics is a numbers game, and if you don’t have the numbers, tough poo poo. The GOP got this win because their voters kept on pushing for it. They didn’t throw their hands up and say well you promised you were going to get Roe overturned 20 years ago, and you didn’t so I am not voting for you.

Progressives have that loser attitude, and that’s why Roe got overturned, and in a few years we will be having the same arguments over Obergefell because only one side plays to win, even if it takes time, and the other side takes their toys and goes home everytime they don’t get what they want.

How many votes did Leonard Leo cast

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

obama could have codified roe, possibly without even needing to abolish the filibuster - there were at least 2 gop votes for it. i am unsure as to whether the decision was made not to do so because it was considered bad politics or if because they simply didn't feel it was a priority, but either way it was clearly the wrong decision. and incredibly short-sighted, as the dem party often is.

Bidens papal instructions were to trick Obama and keep him from doing this

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is why I don't think the Democratic base will be as enthused to vote as a result as Republican voters will be - Republicans have pretty unambiguous and clear reason to vote for Republicans, who have demonstrated that they will absolutely vote to make abortion illegal, and Democrats empirically have not gotten a significant amount of legislation passed to legalize abortion. They just haven't done it. Promising that *this* time they totally will feels like a pretty loving empty promise

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Dems are going to buckle down and send more fundraising emails than ever before, then spend $40 million running a troop against Tom Cotton and lose by 20 points.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Koos Group posted:

With all due respect, if he didn't mean the phrasing of what he said, it's President Biden's intellectual honesty that ought to be called into question. If one intends to take credit for a success, they must also be prepared to take responsibility for a failure.

I think it's common knowledge (or should be) that the president doesn't have the Constitutional power to pass legislation, and that that is Congress's responsibility. As such, if a presidential candidate says, "if elected, I will pass a bill that does x", it doesn't seem to make sense to take that statement on its face, but instead to hear it that the candidate is going to try to convince Congress to pass it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lemming posted:

Promising that *this* time they totally will feels like a pretty loving empty promise

And yet that will (probably already is on Twitter) 100% be the messaging

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

marshmonkey posted:

To pretend like you don't know what they are going to say in response is a bit baffling, yes. They don't have any shame. They don't give a gently caress. Liberals have screamed for decades that Roe v. Wade was basically the Rubicon for Court legitimacy and now that we've crossed it, we expect Republicans of all people to suddenly develop a basic code of ethics?

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

marshmonkey posted:

....yes?

I mean, their entire shtick throughout the 45 Administration was to be the credulous morons that said "oh, 45 would never do that, he may be a hate-filled piss balloon but he would never just do that," then turn around and say "well, he's new at this, I'm sure he won't do it again."

Why on God's green earth would they say anything different now?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

By "the Senate has the power to send the bill to the president's desk", he means "the Senate has the power to pass this bill, just as they would pass any other bill". They still have to vote on it, it can still be filibustered, etc.

In practice, the current Senate lineup is so broken and dysfunctional that it can't even pass an infrastructure bill, and Beyer knows it.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
There’s very little chance Planned Parenthood or some comparable org comes out and says they’ll continue to operate in states that ban abortion, right? If you only believe something is a constitutional right until the Supreme Court disagrees with you, can you really be said to believe in that right at all?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

TyrantWD posted:

You and many others seem to lack the imagination or cognitive energy to see beyond the paradigms presented to you. Wish we could have this conversation face to face, and the threatening interpretation is of secondary priority, sincerely. We need to build allies.

I saw the northman this weekend and didn't love it. As time goes by, the more I think everybody should see it. People lived like that. That is a reality of human existence. If you can't roar at the abyss and overridden by purpose plunge into death for what you believe, go ahead and vote harder or whatever.

Revolution chat can't go away.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

By "the Senate has the power to send the bill to the president's desk", he means "the Senate has the power to pass this bill, just as they would pass any other bill". They still have to vote on it, it can still be filibustered, etc.

In practice, the current Senate lineup is so broken and dysfunctional that it can't even pass an infrastructure bill, and Beyer knows it.

I mean, yeah, I feel like everyone implicitly understands that. I think the point is that by not doing it, the individual Senators are still making the choice not to, however. The point is that in this case you can't really point to nebulous circumstances outside of everyone's control, it's just that there are Democrats in the Senate who don't want to vote for it

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Lemming posted:

This is why I don't think the Democratic base will be as enthused to vote as a result as Republican voters will be - Republicans have pretty unambiguous and clear reason to vote for Republicans, who have demonstrated that they will absolutely vote to make abortion illegal, and Democrats empirically have not gotten a significant amount of legislation passed to legalize abortion. They just haven't done it. Promising that *this* time they totally will feels like a pretty loving empty promise

What do you mean by "Democrats empirically have not gotten a significant amount of legislation passed to legalize abortion"?

Is there a specific state that has had full democratic control that you have in mind as not having passed legislation to legalize abortion?

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/abortion-policy-absence-roe

Because California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington state democrats have all passed laws codifying the legal right to access abortions in their states.

It seems to me that, at least at the state level, when the opportunity has existed for democrats to codify abortion access, they have done so. Almost without exception.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LegendaryFrog posted:

What do you mean by "Democrats empirically have not gotten a significant amount of legislation passed to legalize abortion"?

Is there a specific state that has had full democratic control that you have in mind as not having passed legislation to legalize abortion?

Big D there. And the USA is the state being referred to.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

von Metternich posted:

There’s very little chance Planned Parenthood or some comparable org comes out and says they’ll continue to operate in states that ban abortion, right? If you only believe something is a constitutional right until the Supreme Court disagrees with you, can you really be said to believe in that right at all?

im pretty sure they don't want to be arrested by police in those states

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/abortion-policy-absence-roe

Because California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington state democrats have all passed laws codifying the legal right to access abortions in their states.

I don't want to put words in that poster's mouth but I assumed they were perhaps referencing Obama entering office in 2009 with a filibuster-proof majority after promising that he'd codify abortion and then saying "lol nah" rather than state governments, especially given the actions of a blue state government do not mean jack poo poo in the states where abortion will be outlawed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

von Metternich posted:

You can believe something is a right and still not do it because everyone who does it will be arrested for murder. Do you think every employee of every planned parenthood in a red state will be up for that?

They’ll certainly continue to work in blue states, and probably be open about assisting travel from red states, but that’s all that can reasonably be asked of them

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

marshmonkey posted:

I can find you a unicorn and a pegasus while we're talking total fantasy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

von Metternich posted:

well it's less the supreme court disagreeing and more the police state arresting you for murder, i think

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

OAquinas posted:

I can find you a unicorn and a pegasus while we're talking total fantasy.

cool

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1521327333050880009

lmfao if they stick with the strategy of saying "Shame on you!" instead of actually loving protecting abortion rights

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

von Metternich posted:

Besides Red States vibrating with excitement over the prospect of arresting all of these employees, if you think anti-abortion protesters outside these clinics are aggressive and abusive now, wait until they think they're doing pro-bono work for the police.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

haveblue posted:

You can believe something is a right and still not do it because everyone who does it will be arrested for murder. Do you think every employee of every planned parenthood in a red state will be up for that?

They’ll certainly continue to work in blue states, and probably be open about assisting travel from red states, but that’s all that can reasonably be asked of them

Oh yeah, most of the employees, reasonably, will not be, but I bet some are. That was true pre-roe, even, and they didn’t have public opinion on their side. As a large and well-financed org, PP could be a legitimate center of (nonviolent) resistance in those states. A hypothetical future Dem president could even send in the military to protect clinics, ala Little Rock.

The reality is that they won’t and Biden won’t and I won’t do anything to risk getting in legal trouble and we’ll all just live with it. Except the women that wont. But I would like to at least HOPE that someone will step up and be braver than the rest of us, and this is how they could do it, if such a person existed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1521327333050880009

lmfao if they stick with the strategy of saying "Shame on you!" instead of actually loving protecting abortion rights

They can't do poo poo, because McConnell will go "LOL. LMAO" on national TV if a bill was brought up, and they don't have the votes to kill the filibuster. Welcome to the Obama years, redux.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

It would have hurt Democrat Fund Raising if they passed it.

I predict that by 2025 they will be screening women for pregnancies when they try to travel to Mexico and other nations, that have legal abortion.

Under His Eye.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

von Metternich posted:

They’ve had funds in place for a very long time to organize travel from states where abortion is banned to states where abortion is legal. They always knew that Roe could be overturned at any time.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Bishyaler posted:

Besides Red States vibrating with excitement over the prospect of arresting all of these employees, if you think anti-abortion protesters outside these clinics are aggressive and abusive now, wait until they think they're doing pro-bono work for the police.

Doesn't count as pro-bono if you're hoping to collect. They'll be looking for the bounty.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

The dems have affordable access to my vote.

Which I've been assured doesn't matter anyway, so I should shut up.

e. Let me expand on what I'm saying in a way that actually engages with your point. I've spent years seeing people with views like mine getting a rotation of hectoring calls of VOTE! VOTE HARDER!, condescending explanations that now's not the time to be asking for unicorns sweetie, and unhinged accusations that its somehow all our fault Clinton lost to a human bag of suet. When I see, once again, statements that it is the voters' fault for this DESPITE giving dems the majorities they claimed they would use to do good things? Man, I'm just tired.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 3, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This will be the law in any state with a GOP legislature very soon

https://twitter.com/sawyerhackett/status/1521301392241082370?s=21&t=7ujusICJDeOWINqZ3Nw-lg

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

I get that you're just here to gloat, but no, this isn't on progressives, this is on the Democratic party centrists who have specifically tried to both-sides the abortion issue because they're afraid of alienating the more conservative Democrats. What they sowed was alienating the progressives, so this is what they're reaping

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

I can't speak for all red states, but I know the one I live in has trigger laws to slam in draconian poo poo like this the second RvW is overturned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

This will be the law in any state with a GOP legislature very soon in the US on January 21st, 2025

https://twitter.com/sawyerhackett/status/1521301392241082370?s=21&t=7ujusICJDeOWINqZ3Nw-lg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

I mean two easy solutions you can practice right now are voting and writing a letter to your representatives. Neither of these will get you banned, I hope.

another easy solution, that's just as effective, is to fill a big spaghetti pot with soupy diarrhea and then wait patiently for it to give you advice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)