Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's Monte Cook's Cypher system. Do you like that system? You might like this. Do you not? Then pass. I personally don't feel like it's even close to a mechanical fit for the tone and content but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's a kickstarter for an Old Gods of Appalachia rpg. Anyone know anything about it or find themselves in a position to speculate on its quality? A creepy magical Appalachia is something I've really wanted.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/old-gods-of-appalachia-roleplaying-game

The free preview that Tuxedo Catfish mentioned is here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/393391/Old-Gods-of-Appalachia-Roleplaying-Game-FREE-PRIMER?affiliate_id=10748

I'm not a fan of the Cypher system so I'll pass until I see it discounted on drivethru sometime in the future, then I'll raid it for Mythos ideas.

However the kickstarter has turned me onto the podcast. I like it, but it took for me to reach Season1 Episode3, The Covenant, to come to that opinion. I didn't find the Black Mouthed Dog episode to be creepy as it was a retelling of a predictable tale.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of modern game design is basically re-examining the basics and realising how much unnecessary complexity was piled on to make the system look fancy.

Yeah there's a reason most games in the OSR are derived from BX D&D rather than either version of AD&D

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's a kickstarter for an Old Gods of Appalachia rpg. Anyone know anything about it or find themselves in a position to speculate on its quality? A creepy magical Appalachia is something I've really wanted.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/old-gods-of-appalachia-roleplaying-game

I'd suggest looking up The Chained Coffin for Dungeon Crawl Classics instead

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

The last page inspired me so have some absolute nonsense I made.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 4, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unhappy Meal posted:

The last page inspired me so have some absolute nonsense I made.

:hmmyes:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Poor Marvel Superheroes Role Playing and its ludicrous periodic table of unmemorizable results.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

theironjef posted:

Poor Marvel Superheroes Role Playing and its ludicrous periodic table of unmemorizable results.

I liked and like the Mayfair DC Heroes game a great deal but the absolutely opaque 'AP math' and resultant tables were a lot to take in.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

evenworse username posted:

I liked and like the Mayfair DC Heroes game a great deal but the absolutely opaque 'AP math' and resultant tables were a lot to take in.

Lol right, the one that converted all units of measure into the same 1-20 scale, including obscure poo poo like units of atmospheric pressure and stuff. It was truly wild.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I just wish Bioware would allow there to be a Mass Effect TTRPG, because it's a universe that allows for the best parts of both Star Trek and Star Wars.

They only allowed Dragon Age :rolleyes:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Helical Nightmares posted:

The free preview that Tuxedo Catfish mentioned is here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/393391/Old-Gods-of-Appalachia-Roleplaying-Game-FREE-PRIMER?affiliate_id=10748

I'm not a fan of the Cypher system so I'll pass until I see it discounted on drivethru sometime in the future, then I'll raid it for Mythos ideas.

However the kickstarter has turned me onto the podcast. I like it, but it took for me to reach Season1 Episode3, The Covenant, to come to that opinion. I didn't find the Black Mouthed Dog episode to be creepy as it was a retelling of a predictable tale.

You got an elevator pitch for the podcast?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I just wish Bioware would allow there to be a Mass Effect TTRPG, because it's a universe that allows for the best parts of both Star Trek and Star Wars.

Just use Trinity, it's the closest to Mass Effect out there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CitizenKeen posted:

There are so many options.

Mass Effect Apocalypse: https://mega.nz/folder/YstgAYDQ#4Ukt9vp6LlqwaYlgOxvR-g

Mass Effect d6: https://mega.nz/folder/soNCABxB#rA15PP9kz1eJcowtmq36tw

Mass Effect Fate: https://mega.nz/file/M81mgJCR#ZjGMJaePeRcy3x3UAkDzPaw4anA0flabncnBY2FkU-A

Mass Effect Genesys: https://mega.nz/file/45VgUDIa#G5qbRpdwhaa8zqbOw3bLneTi5vE_ezBqfg9inoCvAn8

Another Mass Effect Genesys: https://mega.nz/file/woUkBDoQ#UGmqD3aNgnzpMrlAyh26LL8oFojnndhY3sVblnx5tiQ

Mass Effect Fragges Empire: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/5x24ti/fragged_citadel_my_fragged_empire_mass_effect/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Mass Effect 5e: https://n7.world/

Mass Effect d20: http://www.jpvsgames.com/masseffectd20/

Mass Effect - Star Wars Saga: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?282956-SWSE-Mass-Effect-Saga-Edition

There might be more. I know there is a Cortex one somewhere based on the Firefly RPG.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You could probably get a serviceable Mass Effect RPG out of hacking and reskinning the ever loving crap out of Lancer, the two cover pretty similar ground as is

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
You misunderstand me. I can reskin a generic (or not-so-generic) system into Mass Effect just fine. That’s not what I want.

I want Mass Effect to get the Free League/Modiphius/Fandom treatment. I want a glossy coffee table book with two ribbons. I want a weighty GM screen with four stunning panels of art. I want adventures and supplements and Foundry modules and dice with N7 symbols where the 20 should be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They only allowed Dragon Age :rolleyes:

I always wonder about BioWare's reasons for saying no. I know at least Green Ronin tried and they can't have been the only ones.

Covok posted:

There might be more. I know there is a Cortex one somewhere based on the Firefly RPG.

There was one that used Chronicles of Darkness (well, back then it was still nWoD) that was pretty good. I think it came out before even ME3 so I'm not sure how up to date it was.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CitizenKeen posted:

You misunderstand me. I can reskin a generic (or not-so-generic) system into Mass Effect just fine. That’s not what I want.

I want Mass Effect to get the Free League/Modiphius/Fandom treatment. I want a glossy coffee table book with two ribbons. I want a weighty GM screen with four stunning panels of art. I want adventures and supplements and Foundry modules and dice with N7 symbols where the 20 should be.

This fella knows how to dream.

I'm not being even a little bit sarcastic. If it's a nice hardcover it should always have at least one ribbon, 2 if there's an index or end-notes and really anything up to like 6 is still great.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xiahou Dun posted:

This fella knows how to dream.

I'm not being even a little bit sarcastic. If it's a nice hardcover it should always have at least one ribbon, 2 if there's an index or end-notes and really anything up to like 6 is still great.

Tales of Xadia is such a wonderful book. Thick, glossy, weighty. Gorgeous, full color art. Great layout. Great editing. Inclusiveness prioritized throughout. Good index. Lots of examples of play.

No loving ribbon. Makes me so mad.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Bioware even made their own in-house blades hack and refuse to do anything with it but the single one-shot live play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HWnogNAR0

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CitizenKeen posted:

Tales of Xadia is such a wonderful book. Thick, glossy, weighty. Gorgeous, full color art. Great layout. Great editing. Inclusiveness prioritized throughout. Good index. Lots of examples of play.

No loving ribbon. Makes me so mad.

Too bad Xadia is not a setting conductive to adventuring, in my opinion. Like it's a fun game for a setting that was made for one story.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I always wonder about BioWare's reasons for saying no. I know at least Green Ronin tried and they can't have been the only ones.

There was one that used Chronicles of Darkness (well, back then it was still nWoD) that was pretty good. I think it came out before even ME3 so I'm not sure how up to date it was.

https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Mass:_the_Effecting

Is this it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yup. Played a brief a game of it, but that was more because it was PBP and those games die if somebody sneezes too hard and not through any fault of the system as I recall.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

You got an elevator pitch for the podcast?

Old Gods of Appalachia

Hmm. Mix folk legends of Appalachia and other places with a foundation of real history and a dash of the ol' cosmic terror. Add witches, spirits and superstition to taste. And consider, those who dig too greedily and deep, take more from the Mountains than just coal...

In this case the real history is the #7 coal mine explosion in Kentucky in 1917. For me, Episode 0.5 The Witch Queen was a good introduction into how things were going to go. I appreciate sharp and unbowing protagonists. Episodes 1 through 2.5 set the scene for Episode 3 the Covenant which in my view is where the story begins to start. There are content warnings including frank discussion of historical racism.

https://www.oldgodsofappalachia.com/episodes/2019-11-06/episode-0_episode-05-the-witch-queen/201910291403467287

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Old Gods of Appalachia

Hmm. Mix folk legends of Appalachia and other places with a foundation of real history and a dash of the ol' cosmic terror. Add witches, spirits and superstition to taste. And consider, those who dig too greedily and deep, take more from the Mountains than just coal...

In this case the real history is the #7 coal mine explosion in Kentucky in 1917. For me, Episode 0.5 The Witch Queen was a good introduction into how things were going to go. I appreciate sharp and unbowing protagonists. Episodes 1 through 2.5 set the scene for Episode 3 the Covenant which in my view is where the story begins to start. There are content warnings including frank discussion of historical racism.

https://www.oldgodsofappalachia.com/episodes/2019-11-06/episode-0_episode-05-the-witch-queen/201910291403467287

Yeah that’s pretty much my exact niche. Got me.

Thanks!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah that sounds dope, I'll make sure to check it out.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The thing that might be scariest to me about this podcast is that I might pick up the accent.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Halloween Jack posted:

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but are you equating a "move" in PBTA to a core die mechanic? Most games only have one core mechanic.

I'm not equating a move to a core mechanic.

To draw the DnD example, DnD5e has multiple core moves that share a mechanic of "d20+stat+proficiency". Those core moves are "roll an attack", "roll a check" and "roll a save". The game draws different results from each of those things. Success and failure have different meanings depending on that d20 die roll.

Apocalypse World and many PbtA games have a core mechanic of '2d6+stat, interpret according to move'. There's a lot of core/basic moves, though.

Blades in the Dark only has one core move in regular play that actually faces the players, though - roll an action.

Depending on how you count it, 'resist a consequence' is the second core move, or an extension of the first one.
Everything a PC does either ends up as 'roll an action' or 'resist a consequence'.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bewilderment posted:

I'm not equating a move to a core mechanic.

To draw the DnD example, DnD5e has multiple core moves that share a mechanic of "d20+stat+proficiency". Those core moves are "roll an attack", "roll a check" and "roll a save". The game draws different results from each of those things. Success and failure have different meanings depending on that d20 die roll.

Apocalypse World and many PbtA games have a core mechanic of '2d6+stat, interpret according to move'. There's a lot of core/basic moves, though.

Blades in the Dark only has one core move in regular play that actually faces the players, though - roll an action.

Depending on how you count it, 'resist a consequence' is the second core move, or an extension of the first one.
Everything a PC does either ends up as 'roll an action' or 'resist a consequence'.
Eh, I'd call those three distinct actions tbh. Acting in a controlled circumstance has very different rules to acting in a desperate one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

Eh, I'd call those three distinct actions tbh. Acting in a controlled circumstance has very different rules to acting in a desperate one.

From the GM's perspective, the difference between Controlled, Risky, and Desperate is that when a player fails, for the first the question is "huh, what do I do?", for the second it's "oh, no, what do I do?", and for the third it's "oh, poo poo, gently caress, piss, what do I do now?!".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Siivola posted:

I dunno how you guys roll but at my table I'm lucky to make a dozen rolls in an evening. With a sample size that small, I honestly think that no, I can't actually tell whether I'm just rolling cold or forgot to add the Bless modifier again. To realize I'm not on a weirdly long streak, I'd have to notice everyone else is hitting on 8s while I'm here hoping for an 11.
"This game's <resolution system> is poorly balanced"
"No it is good actually"
"This is how it is poorly balanced"
"Oh, well, that doesn't affect me because we don't actually use the <resolution system> for <resolving> anything"

Every time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I play live and take a break to eat dinner, loving sue me. What do you roll, forty checks an evening?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Siivola posted:

What do you roll, forty checks an evening?
That sounds about right for playing a martial in a D20 system. Average of one attack roll per combat round, plus however many saving throws, multiplied by the number of combats in the session. Then add skill tests and anything going on outside combat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For like fifteen or twenty rounds of encounters in an evening? Jesus Christ if this is what this hobby is about, shoot me into the storygame sun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you're playing D&D and combat doesn't take hours and the fighter doesn't spend the entire time stunned, what are you even doing?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Siivola posted:

I play live and take a break to eat dinner, loving sue me. What do you roll, forty checks an evening?
Oh god no. If I'm in a position where I'm playing or god forbid running D&D or adjacent I will do everything in my power to minimise the number of rolls made, because actually engaging with the system beyond the absolute minimum is the worst possible outcome*. But
a) that's why I prefer games where engaging with the system is a net benefit.
b) artificially depressing the number of rolls because otherwise the system snaps like a dry twig does not mean the system is good actually.

*excluding, obviously, combat in heavily houseruled 4E

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I never even said a system was good or bad, gently caress off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Splicer posted:

Oh god no. If I'm in a position where I'm playing or god forbid running D&D or adjacent I will do everything in my power to minimise the number of rolls made, because actually engaging with the system beyond the absolute minimum is the worst possible outcome*. But
a) that's why I prefer games where engaging with the system is a net benefit.
b) artificially depressing the number of rolls because otherwise the system snaps like a dry twig does not mean the system is good actually.

*excluding, obviously, combat in heavily houseruled 4E

The problem is that in most games, rolling is just to determine success or failure, and in a lot of cases really only a success is in any way interesting, so you may as well not roll. If the roll doesn't generate complications, i.e. failures and successes with a "but" attached, or tell you something about what happens(like that your socializing roll convinced someone... but of completely the wrong thing, he now believes in ancient aliens, not that you're innocent), to give you a fun or challenging wild card to work with, it's not a mechanic you can use often without making the game less fun for everyone.

Hard success/failure checks are mostly interesting if:

They are the alternative to spending a resource(Do you want to spend a Lockpicking Point(tm) or assume this door is not worth loving with?).
They represent a risk the player chooses to take, a gamble that may end up costing them something(The medusa's looking the other way, I can either not engage or I can take a swing and risk getting turned to stone if it doesn't bring her down in one go).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

mellonbread posted:

That sounds about right for playing a martial in a D20 system. Average of one attack roll per combat round, plus however many saving throws, multiplied by the number of combats in the session. Then add skill tests and anything going on outside combat.

I play (and enjoy!) Pathfinder 2e for 3ish hours almost every week so you've got me curious. I'm usually making 2 checks each round of combat, between attacks and knowledge checks (outwit ranger with a two handed weapon) assuming I'm using an action to move or do non check actions each round. Our combats probably average about 4 rounds maybe? We probably average about the same amount of combats per session. So just from my turn in combat that's like 32 a night. Plus saving throws like you said, plus initiative rolls, plus all out of combat stuff.

It still sounds high but I think my estimates are right.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Rolling to just check if something happens or not without immediately being on the hook to complicate the results is perfectly fine. I like being able to ask for a skill check to just see if a player knows a guy or can get around an obstacle the easy way or whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PurpleXVI posted:

The problem is that in most games, rolling is just to determine success or failure, and in a lot of cases really only a success is in any way interesting, so you may as well not roll. If the roll doesn't generate complications, i.e. failures and successes with a "but" attached, or tell you something about what happens(like that your socializing roll convinced someone... but of completely the wrong thing, he now believes in ancient aliens, not that you're innocent), to give you a fun or challenging wild card to work with, it's not a mechanic you can use often without making the game less fun for everyone.

Hard success/failure checks are mostly interesting if:

They are the alternative to spending a resource(Do you want to spend a Lockpicking Point(tm) or assume this door is not worth loving with?).
They represent a risk the player chooses to take, a gamble that may end up costing them something(The medusa's looking the other way, I can either not engage or I can take a swing and risk getting turned to stone if it doesn't bring her down in one go).
Hard agree on all of the above, except for it being a "Problem" so much as "A design consideration". If you've made the choice to use a binary success system then you need to make sure your system is one that supports a binary success system, which as you said is best when it's the last stage fallback from the rest of the system's resolution methods. But that's a perfectly acceptable way to design a system! D&D (including pathfinder) does not design its system this way. It has dozens of factors (reduced in 5E but still too many) to determine your unique basketweaving score and no system alternatives to pulling out ye old d20 and having at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

when you roll the dice sometimes you pay the price, other times it all goes nice. and thats all there is really to say about this topic, i think.