Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/PamKeithFL/status/1522315928645603328?s=20&t=C0v0jHHTaLPMVWwh7RxKxA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

StratGoatCom posted:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Senate-Passes-NOPEC-Antitrust-Bill.html

I'm sure this won't just piss off OPEC into cramming their fingers up america's collective nose. Surely....

Kind of sad that the Saudis view us not actively helping them in Yemen anymore and gently telling them to stop, while still selling them anti-missile defense systems at a discount and defending them diplomatically, as a "historic betrayal" worthy of an economic suicide pact.

The NOPEC bill would be incredibly difficult to enforce to a meaningful degree and seems like it is primarily a way of telling OPEC the U.S. is annoyed with them.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://www.wwno.org/2022-05-05/louisiana-bill-would-allow-murder-charges-for-abortions-opponents-call-it-barbaric

"Opponents of the bill said its broad scope would also criminalize in vitro fertilization, intrauterine birth control devices (IUDs) and emergency contraception as well."

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

at least Louisiana has a democratic governor :unsmith:

oh he is actually for these restrictions

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The NOPEC bill would be incredibly difficult to enforce to a meaningful degree and seems like it is primarily a way of telling OPEC the U.S. is annoyed with them.

If I was an oil junky, I simply would not do something that would irritate my main dealer, even if it was symbolic. Especially if it was symbolic.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

StratGoatCom posted:

If I was an oil junky, I simply would not do something that would irritate my main dealer, even if it was symbolic. Especially if it was symbolic.

Is this about Keystone XL? Since that's Canada.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

a.lo posted:

at least Louisiana has a democratic governor :unsmith:

oh he is actually for these restrictions

He's essentially Republican lite.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean posted:

Yeah, that would be fine if I actually said the thing you accused me of.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

"Not adding to discussion." - Koos Group

How the gently caress do I add to a discussion where some one is literally lying about what I said?

And there is no action taken against them for it? wrong here but my point still stands in that probation someone for saying "I literally didn't say that" seems the opposite of what a discussion forum should be.

So, the conclusion is: mischaracterizing about what someone said is "adding to the discussion" but also saying that's not accurate is "not adding to the discussion." So like discussing things isn't a discussion.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 6, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To my view it's not an inherently partisan issue, though obviously the GOP is worse. The issue is that, in the USA, it's reasonably mainstream/common to hold the vile and indefensible position that abortion should be other than fully available to any woman who requests it. Partisan politics ain't helping, but the issue extends far outside that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Sean posted:

"Not adding to discussion." - Koos Group

How the gently caress do I add to a discussion where some one is literally lying about what I said?

And there is no action taken against them for it?

So, the conclusion is: lying about what someone said is "adding to the discussion" but calling them out for it is against the rules.

No, I got dinged too, don't worry

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1522377858819268608

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Devor posted:

No, I got dinged too, don't worry

I missed that and I don't have umbrage against you. I know where you were coming from in general and I think you had good intentions and we just didn't line up.

It would have been nice if we could have worked this out through *ahem* Debate and Discussion instead of us both being blocked from doing so.

"Use the report feature" or "discuss this in a segregated thread that nobody reads or will come across normally" or "use pms with the mods who are lovely at modding (but omg they do it with no pay so that means you have to feel sorry for their lovely decisions)". All resolutions that aren't out in the open--which is clearly the point.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 6, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fairly :smug: about my Premiers ability to govern California. Hoping for a Gavin newsom presidency.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Fairly :smug: about my Premiers ability to govern California. Hoping for a Gavin newsom presidency.

Draft him for 2024 then, because I just sure as poo poo don't see Biden winning that under any realisticly forecastable circumstances what so ever.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Democrats with no plan? Impossible.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PT6A posted:

To my view it's not an inherently partisan issue, though obviously the GOP is worse. The issue is that, in the USA, it's reasonably mainstream/common to hold the vile and indefensible position that abortion should be other than fully available to any woman who requests it. Partisan politics ain't helping, but the issue extends far outside that.

And that's the problem with the party that fundraises, runs & gets elected on the platform of reproductive freedom.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FlamingLiberal posted:

The plan is to let the Republicans remove body autonomy so we can win in the most important election in your life.*flash 10 years forward* Oh poo poo they banned our party? Darn. Oh well what could we have done

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/reportercioffi/status/1522300071311728642?s=21&t=QRsovI23i0ZqJbQpQHyF8A

If you don’t remember Anita Dunn:

Former Obama Adviser Anita Dunn Helped Harvey Weinstein Strategize Before New York Times Story

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/stevenperlberg/former-obama-adviser-anita-dunn-helped-harvey-weinstein

They are so out of touch.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Some Colorado democrats want to kickstart the drug wars it seems

https://twitter.com/mattsebastian/status/1522409895621844994

Gee it's not like we have evidence this kind of thing is horrible. Let's just do it anyway! Hmm all of a sudden black people's weed is testing positive for fentanyl for some reason.

:bang:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FlamingLiberal posted:

The plan is to let the Republicans remove body autonomy so we can win in the most important election in your life.*flash 10 years forward* Oh poo poo they banned our party? Darn. Oh well what could we have done

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Gee it's not like we have evidence this kind of thing is horrible. Let's just do it anyway! Hmm all of a sudden black people's weed is testing positive for fentanyl for some reason.

The Dems love crime bills. They call it a mistake because people found out it was their fault. They'd rather spend half a bil jailing a shitload of people than do something about the drug crisis that the pharmaceutical companies ran under the democratic noses.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's as slimy as they come, but he's smart about being slimy. He's furious the others aren't pulling the grift as well as he does. (and I think this is an issue he legit cares about, it's obvious he likes women...)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The quote from the politician who's arguing for the guardrails is still maddening. What's the difference between someone possessing oxy, meth, or fentanyl from a legal perspective? What is the benefit of different sentence lengths?

This also definitely sounds like a push by police and those sympathetic to them to open back up smelling weed as probable cause.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Thank you for the clarification, I am looking for situations where things pass/fail by one vote as that is evidence of "true belief" of the voters themselves. Situations like this one are unfortunately too muddy for my needs, while being an existential threat for you and others.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is another issue I see with "Vote blue no matter who". The lovely democrats will put up bills like this that set us back or fund the police who will attack and harass those protesting against the GOP taking away human rights

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

theCalamity posted:

This is another issue I see with "Vote blue no matter who". The lovely democrats will put up bills like this that set us back or fund the police who will attack and harass those protesting against the GOP taking away human rights

Exactly. "But think about your loved ones" they'll shame you for while actively loving your loved ones over.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

America 2033 "ooh hun the passion of the Christ is on trump TV but I have to turn the subtitles off because you aren't allowed to read"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Sean posted:

I missed that and I don't have umbrage against you. I know where you were coming from in general and I think you had good intentions and we just didn't line up.

It would have been nice if we could have worked this out through *ahem* Debate and Discussion instead of us both being blocked from doing so.

"Use the report feature" or "discuss this in a segregated thread that nobody reads or will come across normally" or "use pms with the mods who are lovely at modding (but omg they do it with no pay so that means you have to feel sorry for their lovely decisions)". All resolutions that aren't out in the open--which is clearly the point.

What were you getting at when you first asked Uncle Boogeyman this, op?

The Sean posted:

Is your argument suggesting that "many people" feel that having an abortion procedure is a "fortunate occurrence" or "neutral occurrence"?

You can PM me if it's not something you want to post about in the thread, and I'm certainly not going to probe you for clearing something up.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Yeah that poo poo is wild. https://legiscan.com/LA/text/HB813/2022 Once the egg is fertilized its a living person in Louisiana.

They dont give a gently caress about ectopic pregnancy so unless you can afford to go to proper state you can die from it.

quote:

Words in struck through type are deletions from existing law; words underscored
are additions.

4 Section 3. R.S. 14:2(A)(7) and (11) and 18(6) are hereby amended and reenacted and
5 R.S. 14:29.1 and 33.1 are hereby enacted to read as follows:
6 §2. Definitions
7 A. In this Code the terms enumerated shall have the designated meanings:
8 * * *
9 (7) "Person" includes a human being from the moment of fertilization and
10 implantation and also includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not.
11 * * *
12 (11) "Unborn child" means any an individual of the human species being
13 from fertilization and implantation until birth

Doesn't the Supremacy Clause cancel this language out? No clue, but I imagine they have to enforce it on a federal level to do so. Its telling that they have to threaten state judges in the text of the law itself.

quote:

10 E.(1) Any federal statute, regulation, treaty, executive order, or court ruling
11 that purports to supersede, stay, or overrule this Section shall be in violation of the
12 United States Constitution and the Constitution of Louisiana and is therefore void.
13 (2) This state and its political subdivisions, and agents thereof, may disregard
14 any part or whole of any federal court decision which purports to enjoin or void any
15 provision of this Section.
16 F. Pursuant to the powers granted to the Legislature by Article X, Part III,
17 of the Constitution of Louisiana, any judge of this state who purports to enjoin, stay,
18 overrule, or void any provision of this Section shall be subject to impeachment or
19 removal.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is some wild poo poo.

I mean, obviously they're not operating on logic here, but logically shouldn't they criminalize male masturbation as well? By the logic that IUD's are murder, ejaculation not in a vagina is also explicitly mass murder.

And I mean. Isn't a condom also murder? It's the same principal.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is some wild poo poo.

I mean, obviously they're not operating on logic here, but logically shouldn't they criminalize male masturbation as well? By the logic that IUD's are murder, ejaculation not in a vagina is also explicitly mass murder.

And I mean. Isn't a condom also murder? It's the same principal.

No, they're making a distinction between a fertilized egg and an egg and sperm on their own.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

A vasectomy sure is looking good right about now

I had one a couple of years ago after I ectopically impregnated my wife through an IUD. Highly recommend. It's very liberating not having to worry about that again. Even covered by insurance. It was by mine, anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PeterCat posted:

No, they're making a distinction between a fertilized egg and an egg and sperm on their own.

IUDs being abortifacients is a common social myth, fertilized eggs fail to implant in the uterine lining at the same rate in women with or without IUDs.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Professor Beetus posted:

IUDs being abortifacients is a common social myth, fertilized eggs fail to implant in the uterine lining at the same rate in women with or without IUDs.

Ok?
I was explaining why they'd treat a fertilized egg differently than sperm and an egg on their own.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Killer robot posted:

In addition to what's been said, when the Cold War ended there really was a push to reduce the size and scope of the military. Right-wingers love to talk about Clinton as the one that "gutted it" but he mostly followed a plan GHWB laid out. It's not like the US military ever got small, but after the Soviets collapsed there was a general bipartisan consensus that maybe we didn't have to have so many active duty personnel, so many planes and tanks, lots of other things. Salaries, benefits, and other things that scale directly to active duty forces are a big part of military expenditures too, and those dropped after 1990 and never really came back.

The graph would look a lot different if Iraq and Afghanistan were the types of war where the US mobilized a million new soldiers or was suffering a lot of equipment losses from near-peer foes, but the slow-grind counterinsurgency stuff doesn't make the same big peaks relative to peacetime. The cost is more human than dollars.

how does the military downsize anyways? i imagine there are no layoffs, do they just not replace dischargees? less recruiting? stricter enlistment requirements?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah pretty much all of those. The idea was to transition to a more capable, better trained, much slimmer military since millions of bodies would not be needed to cram into abrams to stop the soviet hordes or w/e in the fulda gap. The early era of that there was a fantasy that everything could be done with SF, which mostly imploded as a concept after Mogadishu. Or at least, that's the conventional wisdom. In practice it just re-enforced that you need more support for SF, but the US military apparatus is still extremely SF oriented, they just doubled down on the combined part of combined arms.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ thank you goonsir :cheers:

Professor Beetus posted:

the stuff on the wiki page says the copper iuds are 'accepted' to be anti-implantation [of fertilized ovum]

quote:

Copper-bearing intrauterine device (Cu-IUD). Copper is toxic to the ovum and sperm and thus the copper-bearing intrauterine device (Cu-IUD) is effective immediately after insertion and works primarily by inhibiting fertilisation.9–11 A systematic review on mechanisms of action of IUDs showed that both pre- and postfertilisation effects contribute to efficacy.11If fertilisation has already occurred, it is accepted that there is an anti-implantation effect,12,13

and then this regarding emergency contraception (didnt know this was a thing for iuds)

quote:

Copper-releasing IUCs
When used as a regular or emergency method of contraception, copper-releasing IUCs act primarily to prevent fertilization. Emergency insertion of a copper IUC is significantly more effective than the use of ECPs, reducing the risk of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse by more than 99%.2,3 This very high level of effectiveness implies that emergency insertion of a copper IUC must prevent some pregnancies after fertilization.

which of course is all vague regarding anti-implantation. i didnt know that they primarily worked to inhibit fertilization, do you have more info regarding the rate of failed implantation between the two groups of women?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Remember that cops have no idea what fentanyl actually is, or the symptoms of opioid overdose, and keep dosing themselves with narcan to treat panic attacks they think are fentanyl ODs.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Police-officers-say-they-re-overdosing-from-17067920.php

PeterCat posted:

Ok?
I was explaining why they'd treat a fertilized egg differently than sperm and an egg on their own.

Because they are goddamn idiots who got abstinence-only sex ed and as such have no idea how reproduction works biologically?

~50% of fertilized eggs don't implant.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 6, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Charliegrs posted:

A vasectomy sure is looking good right about now

If you already know you don’t want (any/more) kids, you absolutely should. It’s quick, painless, and as a poster above me insinuated, probably mostly covered by your health insurance (assuming you have some). I don’t know why so few men get vasectomies (just kidding, I do :sigh:)

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 6, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kalit posted:

If you already know you don’t want (any/more) kids, you absolutely should. It’s quick, painless, and as a poster above me insinuated, probably mostly covered by your health insurance (assuming you have some). I don’t know why so few men get vasectomies (just kidding, I do :sigh:)

A PSA push by some sort of NGO or even the gov itself really could go a long way to fix this imo. Vasectomies are great if you don't want more kids but there is a truly staggering amount of misinfo about it just because it's not something widely discussed.

- No, a vasc is not physically removing your balls
- No, it isn't going to kill your balls either. They still work fine. Things just get re-absorbed
- No, it doesn't affect testosterone levels, see above
- No, it doesn't make you into a eunuch.
- Yes, it is sometimes reversible.
- Yes, you are still able to do everything that you could do before.
-No, semen is not stored in the balls

For all the talk of male focus there is a shocking lack of basic biological literacy. I had someone dear to me ask if after you get snipped if you just push out a puff of air when you orgasm because they thought semen was 100% liquid sperm. When I asked them why sperm counts would be necessary then they just kind of bluescreened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have to laugh at the thought of building a bridge to reach these people.

https://twitter.com/ColinGBooth/status/1522232989941485568?s=20&t=ucrKCOQiatPZixRfHYliQg