Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like it more because it's cool that the first three Mario games are so different, even if the second one isn't a "real" Mario game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lost levels is good but its so hard and bullshit that i believe it would have damaged mario and nintendo's reputation back then if it got a wider release lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like it more because it's cool that the first three Mario games are so different, even if the second one isn't a "real" Mario game

Actually, it is; the engine and game mechanics (picking up items, multiple characters, levels that scrolled left-right and up-down), before being turned into a licensed game for Dream Factory or whatever the festival was called, was supposed to be the basis of a Mario game.

So it went from

Mario game
Doki Doki Panic
Super Mario Bros 2 / USA.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the real tragedy was not getting mario special edition in the us

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Actually, it is; the engine and game mechanics (picking up items, multiple characters, levels that scrolled left-right and up-down), before being turned into a licensed game for Dream Factory or whatever the festival was called, was supposed to be the basis of a Mario game.

So it went from

Mario game
Doki Doki Panic
Super Mario Bros 2 / USA.

What was the source material for Doki Doki Panic then? Some weird Japanese manga/anime or something along those lines?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lost levels is good but its so hard and bullshit that i believe it would have damaged mario and nintendo's reputation back then if it got a wider release lol

Lost levels is dogshit and easily the worst mainline Mario game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Larryb posted:

What was the source material for Doki Doki Panic then? Some weird Japanese manga/anime or something along those lines?

it was made to help promote a festival that was run by fuji tv to promote new shows. nintendo owned everything they made for doki doki panic except for that playable characters because they were that years mascot for the festival and are owned by fuji tv. when NoA asked for a different mario 2 it was easy to remake doki doki panic into mario 2 because it had already started out as a mario game so they replaced the cast with mario characters and added a run button released it world wide and the rest is history

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 8, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Papes posted:

its good actually

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Here's a really good video about the event DDP was made to promote. It's kinda funny that so much modern Mario stuff was inspired by this event that had nothing to do with Mario.

https://youtu.be/KL9o9zzCUsQ

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Even if an Earthbound remake used the engine from the Link's Awakening remake it would be loving rad.

"even if"? the link's awakening remake was amazing. they should reuse that engine for oracle remakes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
remake every videoed game (all of them) in the link's awakening engine it's cute and adorable

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I'd play the hell out of almost anything made from that engine, I hope they make a new 2D Zelda with it, if not remake Seasons/Ages or even LTTP.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
no stop it all of you you're gonna bring in the frame rate people

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

no stop it all of you you're gonna bring in the frame rate people

it's okay it'll only lag as they're coming into the thread then the framerate will stabilize again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually like the toy/plastic look in that game and Advance Wars (RIP) more than HD-2D when it comes to remaking old school games lol

like i'd love FF4 or DQ3 in that look

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
It’s been almost a year since they revealed the DQ3 remake and they haven’t shown anything since.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I actually like the toy/plastic look in that game and Advance Wars (RIP) more than HD-2D when it comes to remaking old school games lol

like i'd love FF4 or DQ3 in that look

It's funny when I was praising Links Awakening engine, I was exactly thinking about FF IV.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Palmtree Panic posted:

It’s been almost a year since they revealed the DQ3 remake and they haven’t shown anything since.

Meanwhile the Live a Live remake in the exact same style was announced in February and is coming out in two months lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Live A Live is being published Nintendo. They like to announce games a lot closer to release date these days. Unless it’s Zelda game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, mind you, half a year prior to DDP, Nintendo romhacked SMB2J as All Night Nippon also for Fuji TV.

So the idea of taking a "Mario game" and throwing licenced characters in it was clearly a thing going on at the time.

I think DDP would've eventually seen release as a Mario game even if needing it to replace SMB2J as SMB2 USA wasn't necessary. It was too good of a game for them to not localize.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 8, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Live A Live is being published Nintendo. They like to announce games a lot closer to release date these days. Unless it’s Zelda game.

Is there a reason Nintendo is publishing it and not Square-Enix themselves

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its good actually

Having beaten it when I was 8, it’s rear end OP

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I somehow beat Lost Levels on the GBC when it was included in Super Mario Deluxe. Either it was made easier or child me was some savant

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Papes posted:

This will never be true because Sunshine exists.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Actually I take back what I said the other day about Reggie being kind of cool - he said Donkey Konga was poo poo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Donkey Konga rules, the bongos were fun, and it lead to Jungle Beat. What's not to like

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

hatty posted:

I somehow beat Lost Levels on the GBC when it was included in Super Mario Deluxe. Either it was made easier or child me was some savant

every version is made easier than the NES original

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Manoueverable posted:

This will never be true because Sunshine exists.

:hai:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

"even if"? the link's awakening remake was amazing. they should reuse that engine for oracle remakes.

I'm on the side of the fence that any 2d Zelda remake would look better as high quality sprites rather than the claymation style, even if it still looked good. I just think sprites would have been better.

That said, the claymation style would be absolutely perfect for Earthbound and Nintendo should get on that yesterday.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

everything about sunshine is cool except actually playing it. i've never met a game i wanted to like more but i just hate playing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Lost Levels is like, romhack level difficulty. It even does the thing with an invisible coin block above bottomless pits, and ridiculous jumps required to proceed that you can possibly scroll the screen to the point where it's impossible. There's also levels that loop infinitely unless you get the secret exit (huh, maybe that's where they got the idea for Star World from) and ones that deliberately evoke famous SMB glitches. And a whole set of secret worlds with ridiculous requirements to even see.

At the time, the sequel being basically the original with cosmetic tweaks and the difficulty ramped up to ridiculous levels wasn't exactly unusual, but then again, many franchises never got a third entry possibly because of that. And every single rerelease of The Lost Levels has been easier in some fashion. (Not sure how the physics bug the All-Stars version in SMB1 and TLL has factors into that, but it saves your progress per-level rather than per-world and has infinite continues)

It's also actually the first time Luigi got his higher jumps and worse traction to differentiate from Mario.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 8, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sunshine has too many unskippable cutscenes imo

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I really enjoy Sunshine. It's not a Mario, but it's a good game in it's own right. I think it should get more of the Doki Doki grace.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have made an All Night Nippon for America but with like Dr Demento and other US radio personalities

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also levels that loop infinitely unless you get the secret exit (huh, maybe that's where they got the idea for Star World from) and ones that deliberately evoke famous SMB glitches. And a whole set of secret worlds with ridiculous requirements to even see.

While it's not a secret exit, not taking the right exit in at least one Mario 1 level will have you loop forever too.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's interesting how Miyamoto I guess was still deciding on his game design philosophies in that period. With Lost Levels it was seriously like, The Same Game But 100 times Harder, whereas Zelda 2 was also made around the same time and was a completely wildly different experience from Zelda 1 but also hard as hell. After that I dunno if he ever revisited that level of difficulty. I guess he was involved with the later F-Zero games?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Is there a reason Nintendo is publishing it and not Square-Enix themselves

I assume because it's actually good instead of a low quality cash-in remaster

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm assuming Squeenix didn't want to publish it outside Japan.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Martman posted:

It's interesting how Miyamoto I guess was still deciding on his game design philosophies in that period. With Lost Levels it was seriously like, The Same Game But 100 times Harder, whereas Zelda 2 was also made around the same time and was a completely wildly different experience from Zelda 1 but also hard as hell. After that I dunno if he ever revisited that level of difficulty. I guess he was involved with the later F-Zero games?

I think I heard that at the time, harder sequels in Japan were that way because for a few years they wanted to give players who 'mastered' the originals more of a challenge in their games that were basically an expansion pack of new levels of the same game. So that's kinda why Lost Levels is so aggressive compared to 1. I don't know if that same idea applied to Zelda 2 though. I think that was more in the idea of "No one knows what a video game sequel is yet, so we're just going to try something new."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

An Actual Princess posted:

"Even if" because they were talking about a claymation style remake.

I love the graphics in the LA remake and don't give a fuuuuuck about the framerate

Tall Tale Teller fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 8, 2022