Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strikers felt more a bit aimless at than A's did but I like the story more overall cause Vivio and the cast actually grew up. Plus also the single most bad rear end beam attack in the history of Magical girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
How many shows have voice acting for onomatopoeia? I don’t think it’s very common but somehow I doubt literally none of them besides March Comes Like a Lion have done it before.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dangerous lifehacker is doing it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

machikado mazoku does it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

*multiple butt slaps in 3 minutes

"look, you just don't get true art"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sex and violence at 1.0x speed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Willo567 posted:

wasn't zorak like a huge fan of kill la kill

quote:

I'm pretty drat excited for Kill la Kill. It has a ton of really talented staff on board. Imaishi is directing, Nakashima is behind the script and composition, and Imaishi is apparently bringing all his many very talented friends on board to contribute, because that's the kind of guy he / they are. It's likely going to be a veritable who-animated-that-cool-as-hell-section-there smorgasbord of guest animators. It's assured to be one of the best if not THE best animated thing this season, and it will be the absurdly dynamic and completely batshit insane in a good way. If you like drills, swords, rainbowexplosions, and really fast action, and I know I do, this series is a going to be reaaaallll sure bet.

The series also is probably going to have a fair bit of fanservice, much like other shows Imaishi has had his hand in. It will be :nws:. If you are particularly bothered by such things and not willing to look past it, I'd give this a pass. Personally I've always found their fanservice to be more grindhouse-absurd than actually titillating, and I trust Imaishi and co will make A Good Show, but do not expect anything progressive out of this. We've seen the concept art, and the 3 minute PV is pretty clear. This is action and tits shlock, much like Gurren-Lagann and the others. Please don't post about it, it's kind of a tired and pointless topic; we all know.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m happy to be posting in an era of adtrw where I can post about the rear end and baps freely, openly and ceaselessly

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:blastu: @ horny posters

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can never die

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's got to be some value in a show that is openly horny in a fairly straightforward way, like I assume KLK was at the start before it then got super creepy.

The moment you add in the gross stuff, violence against women, a writer/creator who's a borderline incel, or really creepy relationship dynamics it sort of becomes an argument against it because either the creator or the main fanbase are engaging with it one-handed.

There was a show that did a reverse KLK, if that's a thing, something about a magic society where people who are non-magic are a threat and sent to some hellish prison colony to serve as soldiers. The first episode decided to have a cruel prison warden strip searching the female prisoners while wearing a clawed metal gauntlet, and then nothing like that ever happened again and it was a typically magic dragon fight mystery box show.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ceaseless discharge

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

There's got to be some value in a show that is openly horny in a fairly straightforward way, like I assume KLK was at the start before it then got super creepy.

The moment you add in the gross stuff, violence against women, a writer/creator who's a borderline incel, or really creepy relationship dynamics it sort of becomes an argument against it because either the creator or the main fanbase are engaging with it one-handed.

There was a show that did a reverse KLK, if that's a thing, something about a magic society where people who are non-magic are a threat and sent to some hellish prison colony to serve as soldiers. The first episode decided to have a cruel prison warden strip searching the female prisoners while wearing a clawed metal gauntlet, and then nothing like that ever happened again and it was a typically magic dragon fight mystery box show.

Yeah cross ange owns

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

pentyne posted:

this describes most good anime. except the incel thing but we really do not know which anime creators are ‘borderline incels’ I have no clue what you mean by that

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i'm surprised zorak didn't mind shows with creepy stuff like kill la kill and just excusing it as "typical grindhouse stuff", but forbade discussion of slice of life shows because he doesn't think it's a genre and he dislikes moe stuff.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Someone in GBS uploaded a 2GB .zip of 2008 era SA stuff

For some reason there is a 'desu' folder with over 300 pics :iiam:

99% of the other anime pics are Azumanga Daioh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Suiseiseki was a huge meme back then, I'm not surprised.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cross Ange is one of the best shows I've ever watched

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just completely on the edge of my seat nearly every minute of the 12 hour run time

Cross Ange is also as far as I can tell, the only time Akiko Shikata has done the entirety of a bgm soundtrack and she's incredible as always

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Varinn posted:

they should animate more baccano! asap

Baccano whips

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

i'm surprised zorak didn't mind shows with creepy stuff like kill la kill and just excusing it as "typical grindhouse stuff", but forbade discussion of slice of life shows because he doesn't think it's a genre and he dislikes moe stuff.

Considering how there was a thread for Nisemonogatari back then I don't think that's true at all!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We have more rules about what we can't talk about now than we did when Zorak was in charge lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Miss having a mod

(I am not volunteering with this post)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
one day i will finish cross ange

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I got caught up in the hype at the time, but in hindsight, the only good episode of Kill la Kill was the one where they have to go through this ridiculous obstacle course to get to school

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Desu memes were a very prevalent thing

Jesus, just remembering the deluge of em

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I thought Strikers was a boring slog for pretty much the entirety of its run, so much of it was just a bunch of boring fighting and I really did not give a poo poo about Vivio or any of the other five dozen new characters. The only new characters I really liked were Zest and Agito, I thought their story actually struck much harder at the found family feels that made S1 and A's so good than Vivio's did. But they were ultimately pretty minor characters and didn't make up for basically everything else in the show (Vita was very entertaining though).

Vivid Strike, on the other hand, totally owns.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sinky posted:

Someone in GBS uploaded a 2GB .zip of 2008 era SA stuff

For some reason there is a 'desu' folder with over 300 pics :iiam:

99% of the other anime pics are Azumanga Daioh

yeah this all checks out 100%

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's my folder

copy
Jul 26, 2007

happy piccolo day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watching Hunter X Hunter with my roommates and slowly dying of boredom. This Chimera Ant arc never loving ends.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Lots of anime has “creepy stuff” and on the whole nothing has ever been off the table in terms of anims you can make a thread about other than pedobait anims for obvious reasons - as has been said we had a nisemonogatari thread back in the day which I’m not sure could exist nowadays because SA in 2022 seeks a lot more moral purity.

The funny thing about the quote was always the obvious bias of what he considered art, those who were around at the time are lolling at the clear reaching to avoid criticism of a show he was looking forward to.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Watching Hunter X Hunter with my roommates and slowly dying of boredom. This Chimera Ant arc never loving ends.

yeah but stick with it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's never going to end for like forty MORE episodes and some of them won't even be animated

One of the greatest shonen arcs ever made

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

its great op

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's like someone watched the Namek arc and took offense to Frieza's 5 minutes remark, so they decided to set a ten hour time limit until the human sorting would begin, then decided they would tell the story in ten hours real-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

shonen anime