Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Netrunner posted:

So I told myself last year that I was finally going to play the Ys series, so I played the first one to completion and totally dropped off. I just now finished Ys II and I’m ready for more. Is Ys Origin my next step? I’ve had Oath in Felghana haunting my library for years at this point.

Origin is a good pick if you're looking for a good reason to stick with it- it's by far the best of the Ys games of that era (after 16-bit, but before Ys 7 really locked in a main 'style' for the series going forward.) The main engine of that era has aged questionably, but Origins did so with far, far more grace then Oath, with I really struggled to stick with to the finish line last year when I played through all the early games.

Oath is... rough if you're not really, really down for exactly what those era of Ys games were doing. It's breakneck-fast and the boss fights are a good time most of the time, but Oath has a real loving problem with it's abusive love affair with the Z-axis and just throws oodles of airbone foes and psuedo-platforming that will cost you huge heaps of time if you screw up, which that old engine just does not even try to make any accommodations for. It's present in Origins too, but Origins both uses it a lot less and all the playable characters feel better equipped to handle it then that poor nerd Adol was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oath is probably the 2nd best Ys game. It rules hard.

Big recommend from me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for me ark felt like the clunkiest and most stat-locked of that era, like if you didnt grind before bosses youd do a tiny sliver of their healthbar

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I save scummed my way through that Solasta fight. Just obnoxiously stupid battle that definitely felt like the game thought I had leveled up just before it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think Hearts R had that too

I've been watching some gameplay videos - are you referring to the combat challenges that net you some bonuses, or something else? While interesting, those aren't quite the same as intrinsically tying certain actions in combat to the improvement of your characters (while also awarding the usual money, XP, and all that), which is the high I'm chasing.

Though removed from that I'm thinking of getting it. Unlikely it'll ever be on sale ever again though...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Having done the whole series myself last year in chronological order, origin is a great place to go next, and past that, if you wanna stick with the same general gameplay style, oath is fun if a little unforgiving at times, or if you're willing to bounce around on the engines from there, you could just keep trucking on chronologically and jump on Celceta, but things are pretty loosely tied together so its not like a big deal beyond some lighter references.

Main wrench will be whenever you hit V. Really hoping they give it the celceta treatment or something someday.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly the only like. notable connection is ys 6 to ys 7 for the geis stuff. and hes just, a guy, that they briefly tried to present as adol's Big Rival

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He should show up again tbh.

Also I think the pirates from Ys 6 are from 5 as well? But i can't be sure of that one having not played 5. They do give off the vibe of being previously acquainted with Adol.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

If you aren't going to commit to all of the Ys games (and you probably shouldn't, as someone who tried that a few months ago) just start with a Origins and 8 since they are they best of their respective style. And as other said they timline doesn't matter and the games aren't numbered chronologically anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I commited to all the Ys games and they were good imo.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I commited to all the Ys games and they were good imo.

They are but you should still only play as long as you find them interesting and they do change quite a bit.
Also outside of the first two they are murder on my joints because of the constant mashing.

Are there any action RPGs Ys1&2 or The Last Story that have a good auto attack system while still keeping you fairly mobile?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

hero must die is interesting but. it's a phone game. it's a very, very direct remake of a phone game. there's some new stuff but the basic structure and mechanics are all identical to the original, and the original wasn't really designed as a game you like, sit down at home and play. so keep that in mind. the creator of hero must die is kind of a cult legend in japan and he worked on way bigger games (notably gunparade march and, as the only western one to get an official tl, oreshika: tainted bloodlines) but hero must die is a much smaller scale experimental thing so. bear that in mind.

Yeah, phone and Switch/PS4 are totally different things, I just thought that it and Maglam Lord looked similiar as like small budget things.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah the most painful thing about translation is that you don't just need to know Japanese and English. You need to have at least passing knowledge with like a dozen different languages and mythologies because god knows you're inevitably going to run into something named after some obscure as poo poo Norse deity or whatever.
I can handle English, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Greek, Old Irish, Old Norse, Sanskrit, Hebrew, Arabic and Nahuatl, but I have to admit my Akkadian isn't as strong as I'd like.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The OG game had some pretty cool art too, too bad I can't find any high res art of it.

Dude is both showing off his abs and he has a random detached collar that goes up high enough to cover his eyes. It's so dumb but I really like it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It’s so he doesn’t get spooked while pulling the cart

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How is Makai Kingdom? I heard it's a Phantom Brave prequel??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tired Moritz posted:

How is Makai Kingdom? I heard it's a Phantom Brave prequel??

Sequel, at least in terms of mechanical evolution

It has nothing to do with it story-wise of course (other than the requisite cameos)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mysticblade posted:

The OG game had some pretty cool art too, too bad I can't find any high res art of it.

Dude is both showing off his abs and he has a random detached collar that goes up high enough to cover his eyes. It's so dumb but I really like it.

they did rerelease the original game, which is cool. i like the aesthetics of the original way more than the remake

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sequel, at least in terms of mechanical evolution

It has nothing to do with it story-wise of course (other than the requisite cameos)

Makai Wars is when they start to go really hard on the "universe" setting where each world is just a single planet in a huge galactic demon civilization. Which eventually gets carried over to Disgaea as well. Which is to say that technically they take place in the same setting, but the scope is so different that they might as well not.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat, they finally released Makai Wars after all the years of Asiago jokes? Holy wow, never expected that with NIS slowly dying and all

:v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I regret nothing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
They really did make a Makai Wars in the end. It's a phone game that never came out in English, as far as I know.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 9, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

drat, they finally released Makai Wars after all the years of Asiago jokes? Holy wow, never expected that with NIS slowly dying and all

:v:

"Asiago" :thunk:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Call her Asiago because she's so powerful she cheeses things

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well to my surprise i actually beat grandia 3 instead of being distracted by something else 90% of the way in like usual

i maintain that this game's great! the plot remained resoundly meh throughout but it was carried by the always charming random NPC and party interactions, dinner scenes, etc. i swear, this game surpasses some trails games in how much dialogue and overarching little plotlines they give to every single town resident. That poo poo updates constantly.

and of course the combat owns. is grandia Xtreme built off this game? i'm not sure where exactly that falls in the series i've just heard that its basically all combat.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Amppelix posted:

and of course the combat owns. is grandia Xtreme built off this game? i'm not sure where exactly that falls in the series i've just heard that its basically all combat.

Grandia Xtreme came out between 2 and 3.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shame. We need more rpgs with air juggle combos

(Don't tell me to play ff xiii)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

well to my surprise i actually beat grandia 3 instead of being distracted by something else 90% of the way in like usual

i maintain that this game's great! the plot remained resoundly meh throughout but it was carried by the always charming random NPC and party interactions, dinner scenes, etc. i swear, this game surpasses some trails games in how much dialogue and overarching little plotlines they give to every single town resident. That poo poo updates constantly.

Xtreme is basically a straight port of 2's combat and, yes, it's a dungeon crawler using Grandia's combat as the framework since the battle system was so lauded in it's day. The main cycle is run a series of normal dungeons, then unlock 'harder' versions of those dungeons for random loot and more XP to gear up for a longer, randomly-generated dungeon. If you're good at Grandia combat you shouldn't need to grind too much but if you're a completionist you'll wind up running the first dungeons like four or five times (you'll still wind up rerunning them at least a couple for the grind and gear) and the game's true ending is locked behind a hundred-floor slog.

Most damning, Xtreme focusing so hard on combat exposes a lot of it's weaknesses- mostly, that Grandia battles generally have too many levers for the player to pull for it to be particularly difficult moment to moment, but if you're not spending resources to control combat then you're spending resources to heal after combat. You would think that might resource management interesting but literally the only dungeon in the game that even pretends to make that a factor is the final random dungeon of the game due to how it handles your ability to leave and re-enter it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Play Lightning Rerurns

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Amppelix posted:

Iirc Shadow Hearts:From the new World has somewhat similar air juggle combos?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Covenant as well

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Spellcheck’s a bitch but tbh it’s more onbrand to not even get her name right if we’re being honest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Play Lightning Rerurns
i did but it runs like absolute poo poo on my PC despite being a decade old so i stopped

cool game though, i'll probably try it again sometime when the inspiration strikes me. i do have a ps3 for it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Locke posted:

Xtreme is basically a straight port of 2's combat and, yes, it's a dungeon crawler using Grandia's combat as the framework since the battle system was so lauded in it's day. The main cycle is run a series of normal dungeons, then unlock 'harder' versions of those dungeons for random loot and more XP to gear up for a longer, randomly-generated dungeon. If you're good at Grandia combat you shouldn't need to grind too much but if you're a completionist you'll wind up running the first dungeons like four or five times (you'll still wind up rerunning them at least a couple for the grind and gear) and the game's true ending is locked behind a hundred-floor slog.

Most damning, Xtreme focusing so hard on combat exposes a lot of it's weaknesses- mostly, that Grandia battles generally have too many levers for the player to pull for it to be particularly difficult moment to moment, but if you're not spending resources to control combat then you're spending resources to heal after combat. You would think that might resource management interesting but literally the only dungeon in the game that even pretends to make that a factor is the final random dungeon of the game due to how it handles your ability to leave and re-enter it.

I wanted to like Xtreme so much but it doesn't have the charm of the mainline Grandia games and it's kind of a boring dungeon crawler too. Frankly however you feel about Grandia 3, it does literally everything better than Xtreme.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

grandia 3 but miranda is the protagonist

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like xtreme is only really notable for how the entire dub is the worst in the series except for randomly having mark hamill giving like a monumentally better performance than anyone else

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i feel like mark hamill might be immune to bad voice direction going by his efforts as majima in yakuza 1

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How's Star Renegades?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Amppelix posted:

Dust: An Elysian Tail? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Quackles posted:

Dust: An Elysian Tail? :v:

This just reminded me that there hasn't been any news on the sequel for that game since it's release. Huh.

Still a good pick for air combos though, yeah.