Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

He wasn't studying the emotion "liget" for years. He was studying the Ifugao tribe. He learned what it meant after he lost his wife.

When was the last time you and some friends all responded to a stimuli with the culturally-understood urge to behead someone and ritually debase the victim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

selec posted:

When was the last time you and some friends all responded to a stimuli with the culturally-understood urge to behead someone and ritually debase the victim?

Dude that's just teabagging someone's corpse in a first person shooter

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

to be frank our "forebears" haven't gotten poo poo done either and I don't see why they deserve any more respect than someone just starting the fight. nobody is vote scolding or dismissing leftists in this conversation. not to say they deserve disrespect, but the idea they know the way to the promised land is also not evident.

I'd respect the janey-come-latelies if I saw them protesting in front of Cuellar's home as much as Kavanaugh's, or even mentioning Casey in context of this year's ruling.

But hearing them limply suggest that voting & funding are the ways to the promised land is plum played out for me after 30 years of this poo poo.

And again: I'm not talking about dnd liberals/democrats but rather about the party & its mouthpieces/leadership at large.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

selec posted:

Is your assertion that this guy doesn’t know what he’s been studying for years or what? That the phenomena hasn’t been studied?

We are getting pretty anti-intellectual here in an attempt to own a poster.

Here’s a different expert in a different field who is saying the same thing:

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/25/im-extremely-controversial-the-psychologist-rethinking-human-emotion

Is she also a kook?

She has a framework to do research on emotions, but she does not say anything about what you indicated. also, an NPR article is still not published research. What does this have to do with the anthropologist again?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

quote:

They told Renato that hearing the tape made their hearts feel liget. It makes us want to take a head, they told him, over and over. It makes us want to take a man's head and throw it.

quote:

Back in America, after the funeral and the resettling into daily life, this feeling continued to grow. But Renato did not know how to express it, how to define it. And then one afternoon, as he was driving down a sunny street in Palo Alto, Calif., he couldn't bear it any longer. He pulled to the side of the road, and a howl came roaring out of him.

And then he knew: This was liget.

He just knew he had to howl. And because Renato could now grasp the force and meaning of the word liget, he was able to make some sense out of the chaos.

Notably, there's no machete murder followup to this story. You've badly misread this.

I'm also not sure it's wise for you to continue to tell us about your belief in the unique emotion that makes those natives want to behead people.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 10, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

She has a framework to do research on emotions, but she does not say anything about what you indicated. also, an NPR article is still not published research. What does this have to do with the anthropologist again?

I’m going to stop responding after this because I don’t have the sense that I’m being engaged with in a meaningful pursuit of truth:

““Anger” is a cultural concept that we apply to hugely divergent patterns of change in the body, and there’s no single facial expression reliably associated with it, even in the same person. (Some cultures don’t have a concept that corresponds to “anger”, such as the Utku Inuit of Canada’s Northwest Territories.) The same is true, astonishingly, of “happiness”, “excitement”, “disappointment”, you name it. No emotion is tied to a single, objective state in the body. Rather, emotions are cultural artefacts.

How could that possibly be the case? Don’t babies and toddlers fuss and bawl at some obstacle long before they have a word to describe the feeling? And don’t the Utku also experience their blood pumping faster and their muscles tensing up when confronted with a difficult problem? The answer is that of course they do, but that “anger” is merely one interpretation of these events, a culturally specific attempt to give them meaning.”

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That is not research. That's just a dude telling a story. stop peddling woo.

What does any of this have to do with the original point of getting upset at people joining your cause is counter-productive. op-sec is one thing, but hostility to new ideas and members is just self-defeating.

I'm adding context and information. I'm not arguing with anyone in particular.

To relate your thing about young people wanting to join up, I guess, is that often people do not know poo poo about organizing, but are enthusiastic and want to get involved. If there is no one to teach them or they are unwilling to learn, it leads to re-inventing the wheel. This wastes time and other resources when there are sometimes "best" practices. Other times there are multiple ways to do things but not enough bodies to take every course of action. That can lead to conflict.

This is to say nothing of maturity issues or personality conflicts or burn out. Or security issues inexperience creates.

In the cases where there are more experienced people who want to offer cross-regional or cross-movement support that come in, locals and young people specifically are afraid to do more because their safety and future is in direct danger. That makes it hard to keep those movements alive in places where they are needed most. More support would mean more security which would mean more people remain.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

such people are welcome to join. their voices, due to their tremendous inexperience and long years of faulty thinking up to this point, are not going to be given serious consideration until such time as it is clear they have figured out -why- they were wrong in the first place.

you do not let an intern drive the forklift on their first day, because they could hurt themselves and a lot of the people around them. a similar principle applies.

you are a dangerous person, through minimal fault of your own, and will be treated as such by any organization interested in protecting its members, until such time as you are not.

A good description

If you've ever been on a site where you have a large influx of eager volunteers you learn this. Go carry water for a bit, I'll give you the hand truck after a couple trips.

Anyone who doesn't understand this has never managed people in an actual operation before.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think we should hear out this culturally determined emotions theory, how else do you explain a ruling class so obviously incapable of feeling normal human emotions like empathy, humility, or shame. Or any human emotion really other than greed and ecstasy and the latter probably only when they're on adrenochrone.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

I'd respect the janey-come-latelies if I saw them protesting in front of Cuellar's home as much as Kavanaugh's, or even mentioning Casey in context of this year's ruling.

But hearing them limply suggest that voting & funding are the ways to the promised land is plum played out for me after 30 years of this poo poo.

And again: I'm not talking about dnd liberals/democrats but rather about the party & its mouthpieces/leadership at large.

Cranappleberry posted:

I'm adding context and information. I'm not arguing with anyone in particular.

To relate your thing about young people wanting to join up, I guess, is that often people do not know poo poo about organizing, but are enthusiastic and want to get involved. If there is no one to teach them or they are unwilling to learn, it leads to re-inventing the wheel. This wastes time and other resources when there are sometimes "best" practices. Other times there are multiple ways to do things but not enough bodies to take every course of action. That can lead to conflict.

This is to say nothing of maturity issues or personality conflicts or burn out. Or security issues inexperience creates.

In the cases where there are more experienced people who want to offer cross-regional or cross-movement support that come in, locals and young people specifically are afraid to do more because their safety and future is in direct danger. That makes it hard to keep those movements alive in places where they are needed most. More support would mean more security which would mean more people remain.

BlueBlazer posted:

A good description

If you've ever been on a site where you have a large influx of eager volunteers you learn this. Go carry water for a bit, I'll give you the hand truck after a couple trips.

Anyone who doesn't understand this has never managed people in an actual operation before.

I do worry that we discourage people from doing the right thing by making judgments on them or berating them for their past choices, but the points on operational necessity are well taken. it does seem like having to build "cred" in order to participate is a burden to building a populist movement where the barrier to entry should be minimal.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think we should hear out this culturally determined emotions theory, how else do you explain a ruling class so obviously incapable of feeling normal human emotions like empathy, humility, or shame. Or any human emotion really other than greed and ecstasy and the latter probably only when they're on adrenochrone.

I’m back when I said I wouldn’t be, but yes, duh! “You can’t get a man to understand something his paycheck demands he not understand” is a common given understanding, which is why it’s so puzzling to see posters so extremely repelled by the notion that a person who grew up comfortable cannot understand, meaningfully, what poverty feels like and does to people, what immiseration actually is, why people want to tell Dems to gently caress off permanently.

Conversely; I don’t know what it feels like to be okay with living on a hoard and ignoring the suffering of the poor. But some folks sure do!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BlueBlazer posted:

A good description

It is important for there be a job for new people to do, though, even if it is just make-work. A few years back I tried to volunteer for helping with planned parenthood events, which yes is a corporate beast, but there are some clinics close to me in Michigan that I figured I could at least empty trucks or something at. So I went through, interviewed over the phone, signed the paperwork, and got my marching orders which were to donate money.

Okay, well, I already donate a good amount of money, since this is something I care about enough to volunteer for. Was there something else I could do? Turns out the answer was "wait until you have more money to donate".

Since then we have moved to donating to provider groups that need it more than PP, but I wouldn't lie and say that it wasn't demoralizing to try and put myself out there to help and waiting months for something to do just to find out that essentially I wasn't wanted unless it's to pony up more cash.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 10, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

selec posted:

I’m back when I said I wouldn’t be, but yes, duh! “You can’t get a man to understand something his paycheck demands he not understand” is a common given understanding, which is why it’s so puzzling to see posters so extremely repelled by the notion that a person who grew up comfortable cannot understand, meaningfully, what poverty feels like and does to people, what immiseration actually is, why people want to tell Dems to gently caress off permanently.

Conversely; I don’t know what it feels like to be okay with living on a hoard and ignoring the suffering of the poor. But some folks sure do!

That's actually a good way to put it and I think where people are a little confused on the concept you're bringing up. I think you're describing it a bit woo but it's pretty solid. To try to easily summarize, almost everyone has the capacity to feel guilt and that's built into you as part of your biology with rare exception. The things that make you feel guilt are primarily decided by your culture and what they value.

This also applies to all of our senses. We see the same light spectrum, our culture and language decides how we understand those colors. We hear the same sounds, our culture and language tells us what sounds we hear animals make.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
This is my SHOCKED face:

Elon Musk says he would reverse Twitter ban on Donald Trump

Musk, the Tesla CEO who is soon to own Twitter, said it was a mistake for the website to ban the former president.

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/36cdd44/627aa3ee61cc0f41faa04134/5a0d96f4ae7e8a2d8fca6c54/4/13/627aa3ee61cc0f41faa04134

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's actually a good way to put it and I think where people are a little confused on the concept you're bringing up. I think you're describing it a bit woo but it's pretty solid. To try to easily summarize, almost everyone has the capacity to feel guilt and that's built into you as part of your biology with rare exception. The things that make you feel guilt are primarily decided by your culture and what they value.

Or to even call it guilt! You may feel what I would call guilt and have it described as self-doubt, or fear, or being defeated.

Have a friend who described once talking pretty basically about privilege among some friends and they all assumed he must be depressed to talk like that.

People can not even have a concept for what a thing is, and completely mislabel it: like how protesters get described as do-nothing hippies, when they’re out doing much more than most ever do, or how any non-voting political action is painted as useless at best, or terrorism waiting to pop off.

Those liberals so concerned about protesting at SC judges houses might be in earnest, because they are literally incapable of understanding how power works. I think there are posters in this very thread who could not conceptualize of any other framework for our society than a capitalist one, for instance. Like not don’t like the idea, but rather even if it’s explained to them it cannot stick because they aren’t making an effort to learn, and the ideas run counter to propaganda they’ve consumed their entire lives, and continue to.

selec fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 10, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

selec posted:

Or to even call it guilt! You may feel guilt and have it described as self-doubt, or fear, or being defeated.

Have a friend who described once talking pretty basically about privilege among some friends and they all assumed he must be depressed to talk like that.

People can not even have a concept for what a thing is, and completely mislabel it: like how protesters get described as do-nothing hippies, when they’re out doing much more than most ever do, or how any non-voting political action is painted as useless at best, or terrorism waiting to pop off.

Those liberals so concerned about protesting at SC judges houses might be in earnest, because they are literally incapable of understanding how power works.

Yeah, even just calling it guilt. This honestly isn't that controversial and is why things like CBT therapy break emotions down into the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that make up your emotions and work on giving someone language for their emotions. All three come together to form your emotions and all are influenced by culture as well.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

This is a really fair point and I think clarifies that a lot of people are just talking crosswise. Tons of people who are incensed about this opinion and getting activated aren't the terminally online internet poisoned people arguing about the dirtbag left. I definitely get the sense (rightly or wrongly) from this thread that posters here only think in a binary of good leftist activists and die-hard Clintonistas and so when they rage about the new blood being untrustworthy shitibs who need to acknowledge how they hosed up, I'm reading it as them raging against somebody waiting tables for $3 an hour plus tips and no health insurance who's so shot trying to make it through the week that they don't have mental space for these things until something seismic happens and now wants to get involved, when they actually are meaning the Rahm Emmanuels and Neera Tandens of the world.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dopilsya posted:

This is a really fair point and I think clarifies that a lot of people are just talking crosswise. Tons of people who are incensed about this opinion and getting activated aren't the terminally online internet poisoned people arguing about the dirtbag left. I definitely get the sense (rightly or wrongly) from this thread that posters here only think in a binary of good leftist activists and die-hard Clintonistas and so when they rage about the new blood being untrustworthy shitibs who need to acknowledge how they hosed up, I'm reading it as them raging against somebody waiting tables for $3 an hour plus tips and no health insurance who's so shot trying to make it through the week that they don't have mental space for these things until something seismic happens and now wants to get involved, when they actually are meaning the Rahm Emmanuels and Neera Tandens of the world.

And that's fine - I welcome their involvement, but (to build on your restaurant framework) I'm not letting you cut the prime rib until I know you can cut the loving bread and not present a danger to yourself, others, or the restaurant itself. You walk in my kitchen and demand to start being allowed to slice up the king cuts when I don't know you from loving Adam isn't going to gain you anything. Here's baby's first serrated knife, go show me you can cut a loaf of Italian bread. And don't be surprised when I ask the waiters if the bread looks nice on the table or if it looks like some hamfisted goon slashed it all up.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I do worry that we discourage people from doing the right thing by making judgments on them or berating them for their past choices, but the points on operational necessity are well taken. it does seem like having to build "cred" in order to participate is a burden to building a populist movement where the barrier to entry should be minimal.

there is something to be said about this- which is that many people who join are likely to drop out, for a variety of reasons. It may mean they weren't serious or they don't like what the group is doing or don't feel like they are being used appropriately or they feel like the group is just spinning wheels or they didn't really have the time/energy to do more or or or. It is important that they build their credibility with a particular group even if it's just showing up, putting in time and letting people get to know them.

Too often there will there be a huge influx because something was a big hit in the news, only for it to dwindle to almost no one new.

on this forum there is very little organizing being done and I do not expect there to be. So it's not like I'm here to criticize SA posters for not doing enough, which sometimes people interpret me as saying. Rather, it's just that there are probably options available to do something, even if it's just local charitable work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Supporting a bill that has a chance of passing would be a great start.

By that metric, it's impossible to "do something", because no one in the Senate is supporting a bill that has a chance of passing.

selec posted:

Have you never heard the expression "I'm going to rip off your head and poo poo down your neck"? It's a perfectly recognizable sentiment, though rarely put into practice these days because vigilante violence has been considered socially unacceptable for generations in much of the West.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

It's from 2017, in other words 12 years after Collins voted to confirm Sam Alito the author of the leaked anti-Roe draft

In what way is voting for one of the most anti-abortion judges on the court consistent with "much of her voting record supporting reproductive health care", it's like saying well Mrs Lincoln you have to admit much of the evening at the theater was very nice.

Reminds of me of hearing how Hillary voted with Bernie 99% of the time sounds great except the 1% is all the important stuff

If you actually read the press release, it has specifics on family planning bills that she voted for and sponsored. I guess if you're going to write all that off as "unimportant stuff" then, so be it. I'm just pointing out that it wasn't even that long ago that you could get Republicans on board with a lot of family planning stuff because it's a net positive and saves the government a tremendous amount of money to fund it. I don't personally like PP elevating Republicans doing the bare minimum and certainly wouldn't have a "Barry Goldwater Award" if I were running Planned Parenthood; I'm just explaining the reasoning behind it.

Willa Rogers posted:

I never said I was the only one angry about this; I said I've watched liberals either ignore the ramifications of Casey or make excuses for anti-choice Dems over the past three decades.

I'm pretty sure that includes several dnd'ers of yore (bc I distinctly remember arguing with some trying to minimize Casey), but my anger hasn't been directed toward Oracle or dnd posters but rather the Dem party, as I've specifically laid out in subsequent posts.

I don't understand people trying to personalize this as an Angry Willa issue when I've made it clear whom I blame.

Because you make vague unprovable general statements about "liberals" rather than talking specifically, and it is annoying when I am 100% sure that there are also "liberals" who have been paying attention, and donating to pro-choice causes, and going to capitol buildings to support pro-choice causes, and trying to make their voice heard about Roe. In fact there are many people who have done this who are farther to the right of anyone currently posting in DND. So when you say things like this

Willa Rogers posted:

Jarring in that all of a sudden people are shouting DO SOMETHING when some of us have been screaming about it for 30 years while watching it happen incrementally.

it comes across as very unclear about who exactly you are talking about, until you follow up with specifics in later posts.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

By that metric, it's impossible to "do something", because no one in the Senate is supporting a bill that has a chance of passing.

I agree, Dems have done nothing on this. And now they can't.

Their support is just as hypothetical as the "pro-choice republicans". Except those two directly voted for justices they knew were anti-choice.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Have you never heard the expression "I'm going to rip off your head and poo poo down your neck"? It's a perfectly recognizable sentiment, though rarely put into practice these days because vigilante violence has been considered socially unacceptable for generations in much of the West.

I’ve heard it, but this was never a socially acceptable, even mandatory practice with rituals around it in the US. There is literally no parallel here, it’s an alien, abstract concept to us, in the way that believing, truly believing that someone pointing a bone at you could kill you, to the point that some modern nations have laws against that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

I’ve heard it, but this was never a socially acceptable, even mandatory practice with rituals around it in the US. There is literally no parallel here, it’s an alien, abstract concept to us, in the way that believing, truly believing that someone pointing a bone at you could kill you, to the point that some modern nations have laws against that.

This exchange made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wNL29kdek

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 10, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s only socially acceptable when Duke Nukem does it

This discussion appears to be dancing around how strong we consider the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis to be, but the consensus among linguists seems to be “not very strong”

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It is important for there be a job for new people to do, though, even if it is just make-work. A few years back I tried to volunteer for helping with planned parenthood events, which yes is a corporate beast, but there are some clinics close to me in Michigan that I figured I could at least empty trucks or something at. So I went through, interviewed over the phone, signed the paperwork, and got my marching orders which were to donate money.

Okay, well, I already donate a good amount of money, since this is something I care about enough to volunteer for. Was there something else I could do? Turns out the answer was "wait until you have more money to donate".

Since then we have moved to donating to provider groups that need it more than PP, but I wouldn't lie and say that it wasn't demoralizing to try and put myself out there to help and waiting months for something to do just to find out that essentially I wasn't wanted unless it's to pony up more cash.

Oof, this is something that gets lost in all the discussion but it's an important point. It's not always about bad actors, sometimes it's just logistics, a lot of our operations at the ground level could use some better organization. I would keep trying other orgs. Another way is starting your own thing that you can apply your personal skill set too. I'm a Data Scientist and one of my side projects is partnering with an old college friend (who works in mental health) on a data driven college campus Sexual Assault Prevention initiative. It's literally just me and her meeting up on zoom once a week to work on our pitch deck and MVP but it's been good.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

selec posted:

Wasn't there a whole culture of mass retributive killings of native americans by settlers in the american west where large scale murder of men women and children was coupled with ritual mutilation via scalping, the product of which was then sold to the government as further incentive to boost these actions? Was that just done unemotionally then, as a logical transaction involving resource extraction and had no bloodlust behind it?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Because you make vague unprovable general statements about "liberals" rather than talking specifically, and it is annoying when I am 100% sure that there are also "liberals" who have been paying attention, and donating to pro-choice causes, and going to capitol buildings to support pro-choice causes, and trying to make their voice heard about Roe. In fact there are many people who have done this who are farther to the right of anyone currently posting in DND. So when you say things like this

it comes across as very unclear about who exactly you are talking about, until you follow up with specifics in later posts.

Here are my posts on the topic today:

Willa Rogers posted:

Many of us have been pointing out for three decades how the gasoline of Casey was leading to this five-alarm fire & making abortion virtually impossible to obtain in red states, only to see Democrats joining the right in banning "partial-birth" abortions, deciding that they had higher priorities than codifying bodily autonomy, and--to this very day!--continuing to campaign for anti-choice Dems.

It's kind of jarring to see people getting verklempt now while Congress was playing their fiddle for the last 30 years.

Willa Rogers posted:

Jarring in that all of a sudden people are shouting DO SOMETHING when some of us have been screaming about it for 30 years while watching it happen incrementally.

And of course there won't be a huge backlash; we don't even know what the final ruling will be, and especially if it ends up as something Casey-ish like "no abortions after 15 weeks" people will go back to worrying about meeting their basic needs like food & housing, which a good chunk of voters are already prioritizing over choice.

Willa Rogers posted:

I'll do what I've done for the last 30 years: Call out members of the so-called pro-choice party when they muddy the waters by saying abortion should be "rare" or that "we're a big tent that welcomes everyone" or who buy into the tropes about "partial-birth" abortions.

In other words, make Dems live up to the claims that they only trot out when they need votes or money. Name & shame, over & over, till they stop funding & campaigning for anti-choice pols on one pretext or another, or when they try to whitewash the anti-choicers by saying "it's only one or two" holding up progress on women's rights.

And admit the truth that Casey led to this very moment, instead of shrugging it off as an inconsequential ruling.

Willa Rogers posted:

Willa is very much aware of that.

My point is that here we are now, 30 years after Casey, but only now people are upset & angry, and want to do something?

Jesus, look at Obama stating that as president he had higher priorities than passing a choice act, as well as the incremental restrictions since 1992. Look at two out of three members of the House leadership campaigning for Cuellar after the Politico leak. Look at the roll calls on federal legislation banning late-term abortion, which to this day has led to a majority of Democratic voters conditionally supporting abortion based on the length of pregnancy.

And we're supposed to thank our lucky stars that now people are riled up--when it no longer will do any good except in a PR-for-Dems sense--and that Cuellar is only one of three Dem members of Congress who are (openly) anti-choice?

btw, I used to heavily donate to PP myself, till they became a loud and integral part of the Stop-Medicare-for-All contingent of Democrats.

Willa Rogers posted:

This is a really lovely way of framing what's been my 50-year advocacy of & activism for bodily autonomy while Dems are still campaigning for anti-choice Dems & making excuses for their several-decades fence-sitting.

Willa Rogers posted:

I never said I was the only one angry about this; I said I've watched liberals either ignore the ramifications of Casey or make excuses for anti-choice Dems over the past three decades.

I'm pretty sure that includes several dnd'ers of yore (bc I distinctly remember arguing with some trying to minimize Casey), but my anger hasn't been directed toward Oracle or dnd posters but rather the Dem party, as I've specifically laid out in subsequent posts.

I don't understand people trying to personalize this as an Angry Willa issue when I've made it clear whom I blame.

Willa Rogers posted:

I think I was extremely clear on where the blame is to be laid, and from the start I pointed to Dem politicians & those who support them rather than dnd posters.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's safe to assume the experience of emotion is fairly universal, but how we communicate those feelings and what we do with them or what we think they mean is going to fluctuate, yeah. I mean just as a superficial example you're going to associate anger with insult but some cultures have no concept of certain classes of insult.

I am extremely dubious of anyone who claima to know what someone else is experiencing (particularly when the only way to know is to ask and we've already established the research is cross-culture and therefore dependent on successful translation) which is what makes science of mind so difficult, but there is definitely a chestnut in that idea somewhere.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Here's the thing: A total stranger in their 30s comes to you asking how they can help organize protests. How do you, an activist, know they're not a cop or a fed trying to infiltrate your protest groups and ruin them (which is a thing that cops and feds have done forever)?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mendrian posted:

I think it's safe to assume the experience of emotion is fairly universal, but how we communicate those feelings and what we do with them or what we think they mean is going to fluctuate, yeah. I mean just as a superficial example you're going to associate anger with insult but some cultures have no concept of certain classes of insult.

I am extremely dubious of anyone who claima to know what someone else is experiencing (particularly when the only way to know is to ask and we've already established the research is cross-culture and therefore dependent on successful translation) which is what makes science of mind so difficult, but there is definitely a chestnut in that idea somewhere.

I’d drill in to say say the experience of the physical responses to stimuli is what’s common, and those feelings are mediated by culture into nameable emotions, but yeah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

to be frank our "forebears" haven't gotten poo poo done either and I don't see why they deserve any more respect than someone just starting the fight. nobody is vote scolding or dismissing leftists in this conversation. not to say they deserve disrespect, but the idea they know the way to the promised land is also not evident.

I look forward to these types of thoughts in 30 years when more people are upset about climate change. Certainly they won't be scolded for ignoring things before it was too late

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1524090721304776707?s=21&t=8hHCtleZ3Czg-nHHQ463WA

This is really disappointing, but expected. They can move heaven and earth for war but when it comes to anything else that actually helps people, there are so many roadblocks.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1524090721304776707?s=21&t=8hHCtleZ3Czg-nHHQ463WA

This is really disappointing, but expected. They can move heaven and earth for war but when it comes to anything else that actually helps people, there are so many roadblocks.

I am done voting for anything above state level, and even state level is pretty meh rn. They are completely misaligned on my priorities.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

theCalamity posted:

So if the government expects 100 million to get COVID this fall, and the death rate is around say, .5%, surely that's enough to determine genocidal intent? They're intentionally killing 500,000 to fulfill their policy objectives.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

theCalamity posted:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

theCalamity posted:

Why is it disappointing? Tying aid packages together, tying any packages together seems like a guaranteed way to get it to fail, resulting in nothing.

Any time I see anyone propose a bill concerning multiple topics I assume they are doing this to put their pet project into the spotlight because they know it's doomed to fail because of the other additional items they have on it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Killer robot posted:

That needs one more chart.

In 2016, when over 60% of people voted, Evangelicals were over-represented by upward of 50%. (2018 pushed their representation up further, but turnout significantly drops in midterms even with old white people). Even when you account for how they skew the average in themselves, pushes them pretty close to a cap. Enough that it certainly can't explain Trump's numeric vote gain in 2020. And lack of major shifts in polling on abortion in that time frame suggests the new voters he drove weren't the ones driven one way or the other by killing Roe. What evidence I saw last said some of the dramatic shifts were the rich, people vocally terrified by "communism," and those who saw direct benefit from the wall building.

I get the internet tradition of demanding formal proof that water is wet, but evangelicals and ardent pro-lifers are already politically active people who take voting religiously in both a literal and figurative sense. It's one of their defining characteristics in the modern era! I haven't seen anyone directly dispute that. If you want to, feel free. Directly. Straight up. "Who knows how far it could keep going?" isn't disputing it since they can't break 100% turnout. Not even with the ever-hilarious cases of right-wingers arrested for voting multiple times because Facebook says the illegals do and they've gotta keep up.

Even if they have headroom to eke out some more votes, who do you think has more? And why would people materially affected by reproductive rights not turn out while people who aren't affected either way but want a victory lap over owning the libs keep going up up up in perpetuity?

If their turnout drops in midterms and we are theorycrafting about a midterm election, this means the voting bloc isn't capped for it, because there's still a pool of general-election-only evangelicals available to activate. There's no iron law preventing it, it's not roster rules in baseball or something. They just haven't to this point and you can't assume they won't as a given

If you(and the poster you're defending) want to argue over whether losing or winning is more motivating, go for it, but that particular claim does not appear to be true and treating it like it is just undermines the argument being made

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why is it disappointing? Tying aid packages together, tying any packages together seems like a guaranteed way to get it to fail, resulting in nothing.

Any time I see anyone propose a bill concerning multiple topics I assume they are doing this to put their pet project into the spotlight because they know it's doomed to fail because of the other additional items they have on it.

It's supposed to be a way of compromising. "Ok well if you want war funding to just enrich your cronies, then we want COVID funding to help those at home."

And, in normal political climates, it can be done. Instead, here, they're saying "hey if you want Ukrainian aid, we want COVID aid" and McConnell is just saying "no...." and the Dems are going "lol ok nm."

Then when it comes time to actually pass more COVID funding, McConnell is just going to block it.

These aren't poison pills tying to each other, they're more pork like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah pretty much. Ukraine will get more money to be turned into rubble and there will be no more covid funding.