Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

OK, thanks. Orders are in for command lance, here's hoping I haven't screwed up counting to five somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Nick Buntline posted:

OK, thanks. Orders are in for command lance, here's hoping I haven't screwed up counting to five somehow.

Trust me, given how long this series has been running, I'm sure someone, somewhere, has screwed that up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pretty sure people have screwed up counting to five

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*note not thread related, apologies in advance*

I found this product today and immediately thought of this thread and you guys. I apologize for any derail, only hoped someone else might buy this as fast as I did. (This isn't my product I just went 'holy crap' when I saw it)

Good luck on the campaign from the bleacher seats, folks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh man, I can't wait to get some aerospace fighter/bombers. Those were always my favorite.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

New Earth 1-2 Raid (Wolf Empire)

“First blood, Dasher mark-two.” Theirs hadn’t been a strong hit, but Kym was satisfied with the performance of their Firestarter’s lasers. Every little bit helped, and the Defiance Model XII medium lasers were as accurate as they’d hoped. Well, it wasn’t exactly their Firestarter, but it would likely remain “theirs” for a while. The nimble and durable Firestarter was a prime choice for the Command Lance, and Kym’s own nigh-encyclopedic knowledge of BattleMech silhouettes made calling targets a breeze.

“It’s a fast medium scout,” They announced, “but the production run was plagued with defects and its engine output is too high for the leg myomer to withstand so warriors have to baby it to keep it from snapping its own legs—”

“Thanks for the history lesson,” Raniya cut off the former Clan Wolf technician nearly as swiftly as she cut the Dasher II down with a full burst from her Stormwolf’s rotary autocannon. Although it was more heavily armored than the original, it still only carried three tons of ferro-fibrous armor. Her shots punched clean through the Dasher’s armor plating and blew it clean in half.

“And Shotel?” Raniya appended a moment later, “Nice shooting, I couldn’t have done it without you.”

Locust #1
- Insufficient Mv to reach hex 1920: needs 11, has 10!

Players
Command Lance
Black Knight
- Holds fire
Trebuchet
- Attacks Dasher II (4 skill + 2 range + [3] TMM + 1 jumped = 10): rolled 8, missed!
Vindicator
- Holds fire
Firestarter
- Attacks Dasher II (3 skill + 2 range + [3] TMM + 1 jumped = 9): rolled 10, hit! [1/2] armor remaining!

Light Cavalry Lance
Stormwolf
- Attacks Dasher II (3 skill + 2 range + [3] TMM - 1 Blood Stalker = 7): rolled 7, hit! [0/2] armor, [0/2] structure remaining! Target destroyed! 1 Battlefield Salvage Acquired! New Blood Stalker target must be selected!
Wolfhound
- Attacks Dasher II (4 skill + 4 range + [3] TMM = 11): rolled 6, missed!
Jackalope #1
- Attacks Dasher II (4 skill + 2 range + [3] TMM = 9): rolled 3, missed!
Jackalope #2
- Attacks Dasher II (4 skill + 2 range + [3] TMM = 9): rolled 2, missed!

Recon Lance
Shadow Hawk
- Holds fire
Valkyrie
- Attacks Vedette #2 (3 base + 2 range + 2 TMM + 2 woods = 9): rolled 6, missed!
Locust #1
- Holds fire
Locust #2
- Holds fire

OpForce
Medium Battle Lance
Vedette Medium Tank #1
- Holds fire
Vedette Medium Tank #2
- Attacks Valkyrie (4 base + 2 range + [3] Jumping TMM + 2 woods = 11): rolled 5, missed!
Padilla Anti-Missile Tank #1
- Holds fire
Padilla Anti-Missile Tank #2
- Holds fire

Recon Lance
Cuirass
- Holds fire
Dasher II
- No Targets in Range
Blade
- Holds fire
Spider
- Holds fire

Basic Lance
Prefect
- Holds fire
Ares
- Holds fire

Objectives
Primary Objective(s)
- Destroy at least four enemy BattleMechs (1/4)
OR
- Destroy the Ares (0/1)

Bonus Objective(s)
- Destroy the Ares and at least four enemy BattleMechs (0/1, 1/4)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
[n/a]

OpForce Status:

Salvage Acquired
Battlefield: 1
Field: 0
Potential Salvage Catalogue Entry: Dasher II

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2022

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Woo! Or is that AWOOO! for the first kill?

Anyway;

Stormwolf - Choose CDR-2X Cuirass as new Blood Stalker target.

MOVEMENT:
Stormwolf - Move to 0518, facing 0517
Wolfhound - Move to 0317, facing 0416
Jackalope 1 - Jump to 0315, facing 0414
Jackalope 2 - Jump to 0316, facing 0415

Combat - All Mechs will fire on the Cuirass in 0814

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Nice work Goon Company, keep up that focus fire. Take them apart piece by piece, don't get distracted and spread your shots.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Looking at Wolf Lance's shots I think I was misreading line of sights - guessing they were firing over the forests in front of them? - so probably had a shot I could have taken with the Black Knight I didn't see. C'est la vie, still took a mech down, so can't complain.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
PTN, isn't it only ten move to 1920 for Locust 1? 6 move to 2121, 2 move to get up to 2020, 2 move to get down to 1920?

Congrats on the first kill team!

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 9, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Otter Madness posted:

PTN, isn't it only ten move to 1920 for Locust 1? 6 move to 2121, 2 move to get up to 2020, 2 move to get down to 1920?

Oh, shoot. You're right, I was counting the woods and I shouldn't have been. I'll bump you over one on the real map, you're in 1920.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, shoot. You're right, I was counting the woods and I shouldn't have been. I'll bump you over one on the real map, you're in 1920.

Haha thanks! I was thinking I missed something lol!

EDIT: One more question. How many forest hexes does it take to break LoS?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Otter Madness posted:

EDIT: One more question. How many forest hexes does it take to break LoS?

3, just like standard play.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

3, just like standard play.

Thanks again!

Ok, thinking of putting the locusts in 2015 and 2116 and shooting at the Vedette. I can get the Valk to 2016 by either walk or jump, but idk if it has LoS on the Vedette bc it looks 50/50 to me. Probably put the Shadowhawk at 1818 for future moves. Thoughts?

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 9, 2022

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rooting for you Goons.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Annointed posted:

Rooting for you Goons.

I hope you aren't Australian...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

McGavin posted:

I hope you aren't Australian...

Worse, American :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How many tons is the Stormwolf and the Dasher 2?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

How many tons is the Stormwolf and the Dasher 2?

50t and 40t respectively

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

Thanks again!

Ok, thinking of putting the locusts in 2015 and 2116 and shooting at the Vedette. I can get the Valk to 2016 by either walk or jump, but idk if it has LoS on the Vedette bc it looks 50/50 to me. Probably put the Shadowhawk at 1818 for future moves. Thoughts?

Should be fine; Vindicator and Firestarter should be heading over to assist for lack of better placements; meanwhile the Black Knight and Trebuchet will be doing something, I'm just waffling back and forth on the acceptable amount of return fire to expose them too (standing at 1021/1121 for better TNs is probably a bad idea given how much of the enemy back line would be able to take potshots at them, yeah?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

“And Shotel?” Raniya appended a moment later, “Nice shooting, I couldn’t have done it without you.”

:aaaaa:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Command lance orders in; going with the more conservative positions of 1221 and 0922 for the Black Knight and Trebuchet in the hopes of fate rewarding my prudence and not immediately killing half my lance with random crits.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Here is my far too aggressive plan:

Shadow Hawk Jump to 1918, face 1917
Valkyrie jump to 2015 facing 2014
Locust 1 move to 2513 facing 2412
Locust 2 move to 2514 facing 2413

Shooting
Valk, Locust 1 and 2 fire on Vedette in 2312

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 11, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of the things I really love about Alpha Strike is how much mobility it encourages over the base game.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of the things I really love about Alpha Strike is how much mobility it encourages over the base game.

Is it just the removal of turning MP costs, or is there other stuff that's not so obvious?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Alright, which one of you posted all of these in one easy to remember place?

battle tech memes

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Is it just the removal of turning MP costs, or is there other stuff that's not so obvious?

In BattleTech, it's often a good idea to stand still in cover if you can't generate a decent TMM that turn.

In Alpha Strike, you get your full TMM if you move even a single hex, which encourages everything to keep advancing rather than encouraging everyone to find an advantageous defensive position. Even if your Atlas can only move one hex it still gets the same defensive benefit from standing still in woods.

Standing still can still be worthwhile but it's more of a situational tool in Alpha Strike than the norm. Standing still drops your TMM to zero but gives you a -1 bonus ToHit, so on 'Mechs that don't generate much TMM sometimes it's beneficial to take the bonus ToHit. Likewise, some SPAs (like Marksman) require the 'Mech to stand still to get the benefits of the SPA.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 11, 2022

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oh, I see, I misunderstood the move mod table in the quickstart rules, but now that I look at it again I see the "inches actually moved by the unit are irrelevant" rule hiding down there at the bottom in 2-point font. That's a good rule, yeah.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I forgot to mention, the random trash markers scattered around the field are Field Salvage markers.

These can be recovered if a valid unit that has not already recovered a piece of field salvage occupies the hex which, currently, means anything except the Locusts can pick them up since the Locusts have the minimal arms quirk. These have a (high!) chance to generate a random salvage at the end of the mission, and have a (somewhat lower) chance to add a random 'Mech to the company's repair catalogue. The downside? Field salvage must be recovered during the course of the battle, any field salvage that isn't recovered by the time the players withdraw or score a total victory will not be recovered.

This is another way to encourage the players to be aggressive, since a piece of field salvage could generate nearly anything and aren't usually claimed by the contract they're a great way to find interesting things to make during downtime.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 11, 2022

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I forgot to mention, the random trash markers scattered around the field are Field Salvage markers.

Holy poo poo I love this idea so much. I want to use this with my group's next campaign!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

Holy poo poo I love this idea so much. I want to use this with my group's next campaign!

It's a great way to make a group weigh the risks and rewards and potentially even keep a lance of light 'Mechs around long-term. Do they push in hard to recover field salvage then fade back? Do they leave the last enemy alive for a few turns to try to recover that last piece of salvage? Do they try to recover that salvage that's in a really disadvantageous spot?

They're also really fun to make physical models for.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 11, 2022

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

These can be recovered if a valid unit that has not already recovered a piece of field salvage occupies the hex which, currently, means anything except the Locusts can pick them up since the Locusts have the minimal arms quirk. These have a (high!) chance to generate a random salvage at the end of the mission, and have a (somewhat lower) chance to add a random 'Mech to the company's repair catalogue. The downside? Field salvage must be recovered during the course of the battle, any field salvage that isn't recovered by the time the players withdraw or score a total victory will not be recovered.

This is another way to encourage the players to be aggressive, since a piece of field salvage could generate nearly anything and aren't usually claimed by the contract they're a great way to find interesting things to make during downtime.

In retrospect, I probably should have had asked about that before I had two mechs stand next to the mysterious blue hex that I just assumed is probably cover, huh.

(Is it too late to shift the Vindicator to 1318 instead of 1418?)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

New Earth 1-3 Raid (Wolf Empire)

The Cuirass withered under the Clantech guns of Idonea Ishikawa’s Black Knight. For safety, she’d fired one of her ER Large Lasers in addition to her ER PPC and ER Mediums and was rewarded when her fire simply cored straight through the little medium ‘Mech. The Cuirass was built on the same standard frame as its cousins the Watchman and Sentry, and while that made it an easy ‘Mech to find parts for it did make for a combatant that wasn’t particularly spectacular. Especially since, unlike the Watchman, the Cuirass had a big, vulnerable XL Engine.

Sweat trickled down the back of her neck, and drew an impromptu whistle to her lips. “Phew—that was almost as satisfying as killing Free Worlders. Speaking of which: please tell me we’ll be paying a visit to the League soon?”

“Regulan psychopath,” Joaquim Appeldoorn’s mumbled transmission had probably been unintentional. He seemed so stunned by the sudden destruction of his target that he didn’t even try to take a potshot at the Vedette before it could trundle itself into cover, even after it took a passing shot at Taonga Noyer’s Jackalope.

Black Knight
PTN’s note: I was pretty sure there was no LOS here, but it just barely squeaks by!
- [Combat Intuition] Attacks Cuirass (3 skill + 2 range + 2 TMM + 1 partial cover + 1 woods = 9): rolled 10, hit! [0/4] armor, [0/2] structure remaining! ‘Mech destroyed! Black Knight gains 1 heat!

Wolfhound
- Insufficient Mv to reach hex 0317: needs 8, has 7!

Players
Command Lance
Black Knight
- N/A
Trebuchet
- [Multi-Tasker] Attacks Vedette #1 with Deadfire 2/2/- (No Line of Sight to target)!
- [Multi-Tasker] Attacks Blade with 2/2/1 (4 base + 2 range + 4 TMM + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 10, missed!
Vindicator
- Attacks Vedette #2 (4 base + 2 range + 2 TMM + 1 woods = 9): rolled 4, missed!
Firestarter
- Attacks Dasher II (3 skill + 2 range + 2 TMM + 1 woods + 1 jumped = 9): rolled 6, missed!

Light Cavalry Lance
Stormwolf
- Target already destroyed! New Blood Stalker target must be selected!
Wolfhound
- Target already destroyed!
Jackalope #1
Jackalope #2

Recon Lance
Shadow Hawk
- Holds fire
Valkyrie
- Attacks Vedette #2 (3 base + 2 range + 2 TMM + 1 woods + 1 jumped = 9): rolled 7, missed!
Locust #1
- Attacks Vedette #2 (3 base + 0 range + 2 TMM + 2 woods = 7): rolled 7, hit! [1/3] armor remaining!
Locust #2
- Attacks Vedette #2 (4 base + 0 range + 2 TMM + 2 woods = 8): Rolled 9, hit! [0/3] armor, [2/3] structure remaining! Crit!
- - Rolls 11: Vedette suffers a vehicular Engine Hit!

OpForce
Medium Battle Lance
Vedette Medium Tank #1
- Attacks Jackalope #2 (4 base + 2 range + [5] Jumping TMM + 1 woods = 12): rolled 9, missed!
Vedette Medium Tank #2
- Attacks Vindicator (4 base + 2 range + 1 TMM = 7): rolled 8, hit! [3/5] armor remaining!
Padilla Anti-Missile Tank #1
- Attacks Locust #2 (4 base + 4 range + [5] TMM + 2 woods = 15): automatic miss!
Padilla Anti-Missile Tank #2
- Holds fire

Recon Lance
Cuirass
- Destroyed during the movement phase!
Blade
- Attacks Jackalope #2 (4 base + 2 range + [5] Jumping TMM + 1 woods = 12): rolled 8, missed!
Spider
- Holds fire

Basic Lance
Prefect
- Holds fire
Ares
- Holds fire

Objectives
Primary Objective(s)
- Destroy at least four enemy BattleMechs (2/4)
OR
- Destroy the Ares (0/1)

Bonus Objective(s)
- Destroy the Ares and at least four enemy BattleMechs (0/1, 2/4)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
[n/a]

OpForce Status:

Salvage Acquired
Battlefield: 2
Field: 0
Potential Salvage Catalogue Entry: Dasher II, CDR-2X Cuirass

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nick Buntline posted:

In retrospect, I probably should have had asked about that before I had two mechs stand next to the mysterious blue hex that I just assumed is probably cover, huh.

That's my fault, I just assumed people would ask and forgot I hadn't actually said what those are for.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Light Cavalry Lance

Stormwolf: Choose Vedette #1 in 0814 as Bloodstalker target if legal, otherwise, choose the Prefect in 1207.

Movement:
Stormwolf: JUMP to 0414, facing 0514
Wolfhound: Move to 0816, facing 0815
Jackalope 1: JUMP to 0411, facing 0512
Jackalope 2: JUMP to 0312, facing 0412

Weapons: Lance will fire on Vedette in 0814.

If I go too much further north, that Ares will be able to start hitting me, and I don't want to draw aggro from that without support from everyone else. Opinions?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Salvage to collect feels very cool and mercenary for this setting. Can it be thrown or dropped?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

berryjon posted:

Light Cavalry Lance

Weapons: Lance will fire on Vedette in 0814.

Opinions?
Might want to consider secondary targets in case the Vedette dies.

Just don't pick the Ares as a secondary target because I think "Distracting" makes secondary targets primary targets instead.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ardlen posted:

Might want to consider secondary targets in case the Vedette dies.

Just don't pick the Ares as a secondary target because I think "Distracting" makes secondary targets primary targets instead.

I've been watching my LOS, and I don't think I even have LOS on anything else right now. I don't want to punch through to the guys still hiding up north when I'm so far ahead of you all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Since SPAs are in play, "Distracting" just enhances the (terrible) Demoralizer SPA but otherwise does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

berryjon posted:

I've been watching my LOS, and I don't think I even have LOS on anything else right now. I don't want to punch through to the guys still hiding up north when I'm so far ahead of you all.

The Wolfhound moving to 0816 I think has LOS on most/all of the backline due to being elevated - it should have partial cover from 0916, but lacking other targets the Hades/Prefect/Padillas might throw lead at it just to see what sticks. Then again, I thought the same thing about the Trebuchet and the Vedette and was wrong, so possibly take my word with a grain of salt. (Also, apologies for not giving a heads-up about the possible Cuirass kill - like PTN I wasn't 100% on that LOS existing and mostly included it as a "might as well try for the lower TN if I can" sort of move.)

Think I'm gonna try and see if I can repeat that move with the Blade this turn - should also be a TN 9 if the Black Knight stays still in the woods? might be worth it - and try and move towards the center with the rest as backup/prep for support against the backline next turn or the turn after, so definitely agree on not pushing harder north this turn.