Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Lamar Jackson is a CHUD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Great Lamar is gonna die in a go kart accident

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This is why I didn't want to draft a CB at 4 lol
Having good players that warrant monster 2nd contracts is a good problem to have.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Great Lamar is gonna die in a go kart accident

There are worse and less fun ways to go.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

However unlikely it was, Jarvis Landry wanted $20m per earlier this offseason.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1526205547682451458

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Having good players that warrant monster 2nd contracts is a good problem to have.

You're right but it's not great roster construction to pay non premium positions that much. You want your roster structured so that your highest paid players are at premium positions imo.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

mcmagic posted:

You're right but it's not great roster construction to pay non premium positions that much. You want your roster structured so that your highest paid players are at premium positions imo.

What are premium positions in your opinion? I'd probably go with QB, LT, DE, CB. Like those are the positions where if you have one of the best, you break the bank and cut elsewhere in my opinion.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Cornerback is an objectively premium position. There are just as many ~$100m CBs as there are LTs.

QB
EDGE
T
WR
CB

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Do you just not know what corners do

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chucktesla posted:

Paying Revis what they did in 2015 was extremely funny.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mystic Stylez posted:

the homerism

Davante Adams (All Pro '20, '21)

- or -

DeVondre Campbell (All Pro '21), Rasul Douglas, Jaire Alexander (All Pro '20), plus two rookies (Quay Walker, Christian Watson)

Presumably the non-homer choice is putting the franchise tag on Adams?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

- or -

DeVondre Campbell (All Pro '21), Rasul Douglas, Jaire Alexander (All Pro '20), plus two rookies (Quay Walker, Christian Watson)

You pay them all and use dummy years to spread the hits and just accept that you’re going to have to do a lot of cap magic in the future.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pretty much, Rodgers is 39, and nobody except Tom Brady has been worth half a poo poo in their 40's. gently caress tomorrow, it's today or never.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I was just joking about the fact that you almost never say, like, literally anything the Packers ever do is bad, even if it's drafting Jordan Love

I'd rather not lose the best WR in football when I have my HOF QB in his last years and *looks at Packers receiving corps* but das just me

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Whatever the eventual outcome is, the Packers offered Adams enough money to keep him but he didn't want to stay so it's not like some savvy intentional decision to trade him.

He also said he wouldn't sign any tag so that wasn't really an option.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

SKULL.GIF posted:

- or -

You could have paid Alexander and Adams. Who gives a gently caress about DeVondre Campbell? Paying big for for an aging LB without pass rush ability is dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chucktesla posted:

The Jets (and the majority of NFL teams) run zone over 60% of the time. They don't need 100 million dollar no 1 man to man corners.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

SKULL.GIF if he was a Patriots fan: actually the '19 draft was insanely good,

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relevant. Thanks gettleman.

https://twitter.com/swadefb/status/1526041760467767299?s=21&t=5IFQv8B5nV4KbpLkAgJSTw

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Diva Cupcake posted:

Sometimes, it’s better to wait in free agency. Loomis you mad man.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You pay them all and use dummy years to spread the hits and just accept that you’re going to have to do a lot of cap magic in the future.

It sounds like this was the plan (Green Bay was offering him the same amount of money that the Raiders were) but Adams still wanted out. So the better comparison is probably Adams for Walker/Watson and less of an urgent need to do cap magic.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I was just joking about the fact that you almost never say, like, literally anything the Packers ever do is bad, even if it's drafting Jordan Love

I'd rather not lose the best WR in football when I have my HOF QB in his last years and *looks at Packers receiving corps* but das just me

The Love pick made sense* at the time but then Rodgers banged out two consecutive MVP seasons. I don't think anyone was expecting that. People were calling him washed in 2017-2018, and he looked pretty okay in 2019.

I've been pretty positive on the Packers ever since they replaced McCarthy out a few years ago. Hard to argue with the results.

*: this is not necessarily the same thing as it being good

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Paying Revis what they did in 2015 was extremely funny.

Revis was amazing at extracting new contracts from the Jets while helping their hated rival win a Super Bowl.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

That still seems absurdly cheap.

I mean in a world where Zay Jones gets $8m a year.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Seriously Landry will deliver huge to that contract. If Miami wasn't absolutely overloaded at WR I would be upset they didn't bring him back (lol like he'd come back after being traded)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Revis was amazing at extracting new contracts from the Jets while helping their hated rival win a Super Bowl.
Revis is and will always be a Jets legend and I’m glad they brought him back because he’s cool and good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Revis is and will always be a Jets legend and I’m glad they brought him back because he’s cool and good.

Revis wasn't super interested in trying to cover Sammy Watkins in week 17 of 2015 which is a real ding to his Jets legacy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That Landry deal is a combination huge hometown discount, 1 year bet on myself prove it deal. What I don't understand is exactly what Landry has to prove to the NFL? He's very good!

I can only assume there were some 7-12 mil APY contracts thrown his way over multiple years and he's hoping this one year turns into that 20 mil plus APY that he wanted for 2023. Which is dumb and won't happen but dudes like to bet on themselves.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not to rehash the debates that APH and i had like 4 years ago but Landry actually isn't very good and there is zero chance anyone was offering him 12MM or even 10MM per.

[ducks]

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That Landry deal is a combination huge hometown discount, 1 year bet on myself prove it deal. What I don't understand is exactly what Landry has to prove to the NFL? He's very good!

I can only assume there were some 7-12 mil APY contracts thrown his way over multiple years and he's hoping this one year turns into that 20 mil plus APY that he wanted for 2023. Which is dumb and won't happen but dudes like to bet on themselves.

I assume there were no 7-12 mil APY contracts thrown his way because he would have taken them. I doubt he is intentionally 'betting on himself' for a future megadeal the year he is turning 30

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's an above average WR#2 who is a reliable target. He should be getting more than $3mil base salary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's an above average WR#2 who is a reliable target. He should be getting more than $3mil base salary.

That isn't close to being true. He's a replacement level slot / 3WR.

An above avg #2 WR is like Chris Godwin or Tee Higgins lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
He's a pretty good slot dude, recently a top 5 slot. He definitely didn't impress anybody last year though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Maybe 12 is high but it is insane he didn't get at least 7 with those same incentives somewhere. 3 million is what you pay a guy to be insurance on your #3 WR. I really think his marker was mostly with cash strapped teams that couldn't handle a one year commitment that didn't spread out the financial hit. Landry badly wanting a one year deal is the only way this makes sense

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dude has 1 injury riddled season and now he's replacement level. Jarvis owns

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

This is why I didn't want to draft a CB at 4 lol

??

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

mcmagic posted:

Chris Godwin is the #1 WR on his team and Tee Higgins is the best WR2 in the league. What in the world are you talking about?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dude has 1 injury riddled season and now he's replacement level. Jarvis owns

Injury riddled where he was surrounded by zero other pass catching talent when you factor out OBJ.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1526232175372378113

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Tee higgins is so good and great

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's why I used Zay Jones as a comp:

52 receptions, 570 yards, 2 TD, 30 1st downs
vs
47 receptions, 546 yards, 1 TD, 29 1st downs.

Both have whatever nebulous upside you want to hedge on, so I think $8 + incentives would be about right for Landry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Yes, people think he is the same player from like 2019 and he isn't. He is getting paid exactly what he should be as the third/fourth priority for targets behind behind Thomas Olave Kamara etc