Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fabricated posted:

Kim is basically Frank Drebin but competent.

Like imagine this scene with Kim as Frank and Harry as the chief

https://youtu.be/o8_9gHzW8vo

"what *is* that smell?"

1. I don't smell anything.
2. Oh, that is foul, what is that?
3. That's me, I've been swimming in raw sewage. I *love* it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

UP AND ADAM posted:

Disco is just too good. Try nier automata if you want something as classy and cool and effortlessly brilliant

I agree, but be ready for a lot of posts using the phrase "freshman philosophy"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A game about being and mortality? Pedestrian. I've been wanting to die for years

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discolikes so far seem to be adopting the style (which would be an improvement for most VNs) but not its intense and proudly displayed contempt for moralism. Mostly though it just comes down to the characters not being as good, which well, fair. Disco is a masterpiece in that regard, it's just jarring to play something pitched as a Discolike and every character you meet is first prefaced by some text telling you exactly who they are and what they're about.

The discolike I've got the most hope for. Clam Man 2, is one that nakedly steals the style but in service of comedy without any regard for the rest so far as I've been able to discern, which means it's by far the most likely to land it

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Wafflecopper posted:

Just finished this and... it was alright I guess? The writing wasn't terrible but lacked DE's emotional weight, interesting characters, humour, and any social commentary beyond "giant corporations are exploitative." Not sure I'd class the soundtrack as a "banger" either, it was just sort of there, ambient and inoffensive. I may be wrong but I don't think choices you make during the game have much impact on the outcome, mostly it comes down to which ending you pick. Maybe you can rule some of them out if you don't help some people earlier but as far as I can tell that's it. I got 8 hours out of it, saw most of the endings by just reloading and picking a different path at the end. I don't see any reason to replay. If you're really into Disco's whole interactive novel thing and want more of the same even if it's not as good I'd recommend it, otherwise it's pretty missable.

I agree
No offense but I haven’t seen anything even sniff the briefs of DE in terms of writing or player engagement and pretty sure I won’t until ZA/UM graces us with more

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Love seeing people like a year or two after this hotness drops just experiencing it for the first time, makes me wish I wasn’t so hip and with it that I got on this game asap so I could play it again for the first time

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

UP AND ADAM posted:

Disco is just too good. Try nier automata if you want something as classy and cool and effortlessly brilliant

Yeah Disco is a ridiculously high bar to pass to be fair. Even ZA/UM themselves might be hard pressed to rival it. I don't think Citizen Sleeper is a bad game, I wouldn't argue against anyone calling it a good one, but it's not a great one.

I've had Nier wishlisted since forever, maybe I'll finally pull the trigger and check it out when I have some spare time. Thanks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Prose in Disco drives me loving insane, anytime I see *these* motherfuckers show up I'm mad. But, if you mean writing I think The Void, Pathologic/2, Talos Principal, and Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. That is if you consider "Writing to be the totality of the Prose, atmosphere, characterization, and systematic elements instead of just the text.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Gaius Marius posted:

The Prose in Disco drives me loving insane, anytime I see *these* motherfuckers show up I'm mad. But, if you mean writing I think The Void, Pathologic/2, Talos Principal, and Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. That is if you consider "Writing to be the totality of the Prose, atmosphere, characterization, and systematic elements instead of just the text.

Having played patho 1+2 and Talos I am struggling to see where the writing in either compares to DE

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If Harry has previously used speed or pyrholidon, asking Acele if she "wants to party" will lead to Kim attempting to solicit drugs by pretending to be high.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SilkyP posted:

Having played patho 1+2 and Talos I am struggling to see where the writing in either compares to DE

I base my thoughts entirely on how many Cigarettes I smoked while considering the ending of the games. Talos, Paths, and Ringo were Three Cigarette games. Disco was a one and a half. If we go by that metric though Ringo clears house cause I could've sat out on my patio forever after that lad if I didn't have to work in the morning.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Gaius Marius posted:

I base my thoughts entirely on how many Cigarettes I smoked while considering the ending of the games. Talos, Paths, and Ringo were Three Cigarette games. Disco was a one and a half. If we go by that metric though Ringo clears house cause I could've sat out on my patio forever after that lad if I didn't have to work in the morning.

Sounds like I need to play Ringo!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Gaius Marius posted:

*these* are awesome

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The worst thing you can possibly do is compare a game to DE because it serves only to disappoint. It taints the game with an impossible standard to live up to and disallows you to enjoy the thing in itself. This is true for most things (like comparing any action game to Dark Souls, etc)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I feel like the only games that really compare in terms of quality are also utterly unlike Disco in any other way.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

If Harry has previously used speed or pyrholidon, asking Acele if she "wants to party" will lead to Kim attempting to solicit drugs by pretending to be high.

Oh my god.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

we all know the *real* reason why there are so few games like DE

https://twitter.com/bingus_enjoyer/status/1519732073396944897

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

we all know the *real* reason why there are so few games like DE

https://twitter.com/bingus_enjoyer/status/1519732073396944897

You can do both!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
even though it's variously much less sophisticated, Planescape: Torment feels like a relative to DE.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Empty Sandwich posted:

even though it's variously much less sophisticated, Planescape: Torment feels like a relative to DE.

My favorite video game essay guy makes this direct comparison in his video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7ngJDbUQE

He also makes the case that the game isn't as full-throated a condemnation of moralism as it seems in its sympathy for Kim's pragmatism

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

that's legit, i especially would compare the scene where after the Nameless One finally remembers Deionarra, you can choose to have him break down sobbing at what that previous incarnation did to her, that's a bit melodramatic but, sure

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

They're both dialogue-centric games with very different narratives and themes despite a very similar premise: You take the role of an amnesiac who must solve a murder buried under mounds of intrigue. Working from there, these two games come to almost opposite conclusions. In PT you're basically a god, the center of the universe and every action you take shakes the foundation of existence itself. In DE you're a drunk with as little control over the future as he has over the past.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Heath posted:

He also makes the case that the game isn't as full-throated a condemnation of moralism as it seems in its sympathy for Kim's pragmatism

This guy is awesome. Definitely would recommend his videos.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doc Hawkins posted:

that's legit, i especially would compare the scene where after the Nameless One finally remembers Deionarra, you can choose to have him break down sobbing at what that previous incarnation did to her, that's a bit melodramatic but, sure

I've made Tequila break down over less.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Heath posted:

I think the game makes a pretty big distinction between the 'broadly apolitical and accepting the status quo' moralism of Kim and Actually This Is Very Good And The Best Of All Possible Worlds political Moralism, embodied by Sunday Friend. It absolutely hates third way radical centre types who actually believe in what they're selling

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They're both dialogue-centric games with very different narratives and themes despite a very similar premise: You take the role of an amnesiac who must solve a murder buried under mounds of intrigue. Working from there, these two games come to almost opposite conclusions. In PT you're basically a god, the center of the universe and every action you take shakes the foundation of existence itself. In DE you're a drunk with as little control over the future as he has over the past.

you're right to contrast the power fantasy aspect, but the moment i mention above is a good example of a bunch of things that in Torment are sad, bad, and beyond your power to change (usually because they have already happened). i think this gives them a bit more thematic overlap than you'd expect.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

christmas boots posted:

If you constantly fail at asserting yourself as a police officer, you run the risk of becoming the fabled Meltdown Cop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Acele got to see many sides of our hero all in the span of about 3 minutes

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Acele conversation is one of my favorites in the game. You've got the hat thing, Contact Mike, a legitimately poignant and heartfelt speech (that you can completely undercut by bringing up Contact Mike again), it's got it all.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

EorayMel posted:

If you constantly fail at asserting yourself as a police officer, you run the risk of becoming the fabled Meltdown Cop.

Oh my god

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vegetable posted:

There’s something ironic about the worst parts of a game being its gameplay. The story and writing is otherwise quite charming. But it only reminded me further of how carefully DE made its design choices. Imagine the tribunal being decided by a rhythm minigame!
Imagine reloading before the climactic showdown and quickly stripping your detective in the street so that he can face the boss with a different set of clothes. How absurd would that be.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EorayMel posted:

Cops really are assholes.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

EorayMel posted:

This game is the gift that keeps on giving

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
DE really does love all of its characters (except for the Racist Lorry Driver and Gary the Cryptofascist and maybe the Sunday Friend)

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
On my recent fascist thug cop playthrough I kicked snow in Acele's face and screamed at her to respect me and it loving sucked.

The run is so hard to do because all the things you can say or do are so awful.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's interesting because of all the fascist characters it feels like it's only Measurehead the game loves (and even then only a little bit)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

RubberLuffy posted:

On my recent fascist thug cop playthrough I kicked snow in Acele's face and screamed at her to respect me and it loving sucked.

The run is so hard to do because all the things you can say or do are so awful.

But consider the following:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Poor Kim doesn't get paid nearly enough to be your therapist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

christmas boots posted:

It's interesting because of all the fascist characters it feels like it's only Measurehead the game loves (and even then only a little bit)

Is measurehead a fascist? Sure, he believes in strict genetic hierarchies which places himself on the top, but what does that count for? Do his personal beliefs even matter? While he bitches and moans about the evil ham sandwiches, he serves the union as a guard against capital. Are politics the things one thinks, or the things one does?

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 18, 2022