Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Rebellion are such a weird company because a lot of their catalogue is kinda bad (I say this as a Neverdead enjoyer) but they do well enough that they can mostly self publish and do things like "buy out 2000AD".

I gotta ask how and why on Neverdead because that is in my contention for worst game I played that generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm of the opinion that "Early FPS" refers to the very specific time period of the 1990s and very very early 2000s (late-PS2 gen debatably doesn't count), and isn't a rolling scale like "retro" is. This does get muddled a bit with retro FPS revivals sharing the ethos of that era like Dusk, and I'm also not above discussing FPSes outside the narrowed scope defined above like AvP2010, but IDK, 2010 is firmly in the CoD era of FPS design, and CoD doesn't really share the same ethos. (Multiplayer kinda does, aside for all those perks, kill streak bonuses, unlockables...)
The Five major categories of FPS:

1) Everything up until Quake

2) From Quake to Halo

3) From Halo to COD4

4) From COD4 to Doom4

5) From Doom4 until present

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

I gotta ask how and why on Neverdead because that is in my contention for worst game I played that generation

Well, it wasn't for the gameplay

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Valve Steam Deck posted:

2) From Quake to Halo

3) From Halo to COD4

4) From COD4 to Doom4

Half Life (1 and/or 2) deserves to be a listed name there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ToxicFrog posted:

One of the things I really liked about AvP2 (don't remember if 1 did this) was that your motion tracker picked up all motion, and only motion. So as you're going through the start of the marine campaign it's picking up giant (but harmless) local insects and cables swaying in the breeze and doors opening as you approach and poo poo and this goes on juuuust long enough for you to get a bit desensitized to it before the aliens show up.

I remember AvP1 having pretty sparse levels. I definitely don’t think they had “fake out” motion like the bugs or cables, but there may have been humans and/or androids in the marine campaign; I don’t remember.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are the Doom4 alikes? Is it something that has sparked a genre shift or is it just a good game in it's own right thats unique from the COD4 era.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

Are the Doom4 alikes? Is it something that has sparked a genre shift or is it just a good game in it's own right thats unique from the COD4 era.

Shadow Warrior 3 I guess

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

AvP 2010 was such a 2010s FPS were all freedom was smoothed out, terrible canned animations in combat reigned supreme, and the game was like 6 hours

the multi was literally just walking up to someone doing a really long takedown animation on someone else and patiently waiting for them to finish so you could do your own really long takedown on them lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

In Training posted:

the whole boomer shooter trend arguably but especially ultrakill, which has already spawned a pretty big wave of imitators that will come out over the next couple years

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Half Life (1 and/or 2) deserves to be a listed name there.
Too close to Quake, had to pick one

In Training posted:

Farm Frenzy posted:

the whole boomer shooter trend arguably but especially ultrakill, which has already spawned a pretty big wave of imitators that will come out over the next couple years
Yes Doom4 preceeded the whole boomer shooter trend so I count it as the demarcation point away from the COD4 type of design

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Quake and Halo probably were bigger trendsetters, but it's fair to say HL1 and 2 were outliers and high water marks for their eras as well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

There are a few games that can get away with it; Perfect Dark coasts by on nostalgia and an excellent weapon selection (although these days I prefer playing it in an emulator

I miiiiight still try out Timesplitters 2 someday, but in a world where I have a big pile of unplayed early (or retro-inspired) FPSes on PC, plus a stack of megaWADs higher than my head, I don't have a lot of interest in fighting console controls to try out FPSes I missed on that side of the fence, even if they are really good.

Timesplitters 2 is a drat near perfect console fps as far as multiplayer is concerned. All the different characters, the massive amount of multiplayer modes and maps, the availability of bots, all the different guns, good stage music.

Virus is probably some of the most fun I've had.

Perfect Dark has insanely customizable bots and weapon variety.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope the rumors of Timesplitters ports are real. It would be cool to be able to play those online. I never got to play them online back in the day of the original Xbox.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno if I'd call Half-Life an outlier, it was a huge trendsetter in its own right as I understand it. If a game in category 3 wasn't trying to be Halo, it was trying to be Half-Life.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

2) From Quake to Halo

3) From Halo to COD4

4) From COD4 to Doom4

Pretty good breakdown. I'd say 4 is the one that really doesn't fit the thread outside of points of comparison (not that I'm gonna whine if anyone's talking about them - this current tangent's kinda gone a bit longer than I'd intended anyway). 3 is debatable, but eh, IDK, there were still some titles adhering to older standards there (e.g.: Serious Sam, Half-Life 2). 5 is also debatable, but it does feel like some of the hallmarks of 1-3 design are back in AAA design - though at the same time there's a very heavy "character action" influence in some of these (like Doom Eternal or Ultrakill) that I personally don't care for, but can't say don't fit discussion.

Honestly, I kinda regret even vaguely coming off as tone-policing, I just feel like "Early FPS" is more of a paradigm than "this was a set period of time ago and thus is a rolling target".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really hope the rumors of Timesplitters ports are real. It would be cool to be able to play those online. I never got to play them online back in the day of the original Xbox.

I think them FINALLY getting made backwards compatible on Xbox One/Series was a sign that ports maybe aren’t coming out :tinfoil:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think them FINALLY getting made backwards compatible on Xbox One/Series was a sign that ports maybe aren’t coming out :tinfoil:

Does the online work on those versions?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can play online using Xlink Kai and faking system link! But not through the original method, the OG Xbox Live system is offline

https://www.teamxlink.co.uk/wiki/Supported_Games#Xbox_Series_X_-_Original_Xbox_backwards_compatibility

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Digging up my Gamecube after more than a decade only to realize I had sold my copy of Timesplitters 2 along with my copy of Wind Waker was a sad realization.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno if I'd call Half-Life an outlier, it was a huge trendsetter in its own right as I understand it. If a game in category 3 wasn't trying to be Halo, it was trying to be Half-Life.

[...]

Honestly, I kinda regret even vaguely coming off as tone-policing, I just feel like "Early FPS" is more of a paradigm than "this was a set period of time ago and thus is a rolling target".

Right. If I had to slice up the genre it'd probably be into two big categories-

Category 1 "Classic" FPSs: high speed, low drag, zero plot. Basically everything up to and including Quake and anything later that hews closely to that style of gameplay.
Category 2 "Prestige" FPSs: more linear, scripted sequences, heavily story driven, lots of cinematics and such. Covers your Half Lifes, Halos, Bioshocks, Modern Warfares, Crysises, all of those things.

Obviously a big liminal zone between the two and a bunch of things that don't really fit either, but in my mind that's the major division.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Where do Cybermage, MakenX, and Breakdown fit into this? Does Dark Messiah count anywhere?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Disproportionation posted:

I don't really know why people dislike AVP2010, it's...fine? Like it's nothing special but I enjoyed it about as much as the first (pc) game, though 2 is much better than both.

The multiplayer for 1 is a billion times better than 2010. They're not even in the same galaxy.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shadow Warrior 3 I guess
Doom 2016 is a Shadow Warrior 2013 like. :colbert:

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The multiplayer for 1 is a billion times better than 2010. They're not even in the same galaxy.

Possibly! But to be honest I haven't played the MP for either, I generally don't care much for multiplayer and at this point I'd probably have difficulty finding players for either.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Valve Steam Deck posted:

2) From Quake to Halo

3) From Halo to COD4

4) From COD4 to Doom4

The two major categories of FPS:

1) includes picture of protagonist's face reacting to everything happening in the game
2) irredeemable garbage

Blood falls into category 3

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Convex posted:

1) includes picture of protagonist's face reacting to everything happening in the game
2) irredeemable garbage

:hmmyes:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Convex posted:

2) irredeemable garbage

Blood falls into category 3

We can break this down even more:

1) DOOM
2) Doom-clones

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Where do Cybermage, MakenX, and Breakdown fit into this? Does Dark Messiah count anywhere?

Breakdown's more of a first-person brawler with shooter elements tacked on, like Condemned and, to a lesser extent, Riddick. Still pretty genre-defying though. A Breakdown remaster/remake would be awesome but I have such little faith in Bandai-Namco to make something like that happen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its still mindblowing how First Person Shooters were once relegated to PC-only status like RTS games.

Halo doesn't get nearly enough credit for busting that door wide open. (Arguably, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did this too, though)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Narcissus1916 posted:

Halo doesn't get nearly enough credit for busting that door wide open. (Arguably, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did this too, though)

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark strafed in 10 fps so Halo could drive its warthog in ~30 fps.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its still mindblowing how First Person Shooters were once relegated to PC-only status like RTS games.

Halo was the game everyone at school said was the best shooter ever because they never played quake 3 or UT99, I will always hate it because of that. Halo is like playing those other games in quicksand.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It turns out a big part of the winning formula was to not use the N64 controller

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

haveblue posted:

It turns out a big part of the winning formula was to not use the N64 controller

Yes, the winning formula was to use 2 N64 controllers.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, the winning formula was to use 2 N64 controllers.

I tried this recently and it felt so weird and bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7TCGzS29w

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Halo is a very slow game, tf2 is also slow but not nearly that slow. Halo was also a super influential game with what felt like a very fresh setting, and simplified in a way that worked well on consoles by using regenerating health and reducing the number of weapons you could carry.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Halo is a very slow game, tf2 is also slow but not nearly that slow. Halo was also a super influential game with what felt like a very fresh setting, and simplified in a way that worked well on consoles by using regenerating health and reducing the number of weapons you could carry.

And importantly designing the gameplay around those limitations. Halo was a pretty unique gameplay loop when it came out, and it was fun. Comparing halo to quake/UT is honestly a bit silly to me, they're different games that do different things. As such I like both for different reasons.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I was mainly a PC gamer, but I loved doing the Halo campaigns in co-op mode with my friends. The worst part of Halo wasn't the Halo games themselves, but all the other FPS developers deciding to imitate its mechanics for the decade after its release.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Baron von Eevl posted:

TF2 is only slow if you're not playing as a Scout or Medic and/or haven't figured out Explosive Jumping as a Soldier or Demo-Man, and even with the other classes it's really only Heavy whose lack of speed really stands out

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Jehde posted:

And importantly designing the gameplay around those limitations. Halo was a pretty unique gameplay loop when it came out, and it was fun. Comparing halo to quake/UT is honestly a bit silly to me, they're different games that do different things. As such I like both for different reasons.

All 3 are multiplayer FPS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

crondaily posted:

All 3 are multiplayer FPS games.

Ricochet is obviously the best quake/UT/halo. Why play any of the others when you can just play Ricochet?