Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bewbies, what have you done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

lazerwolf posted:

Cats picked a bad time to suck it up. Now I want the worst timeline in which the Lightning win 3 in a row.

Yes, the playoffs are indeed a bad time.

The Panthers will not win because they haven't figured out how to get through a clogged neutral zone. And not for nothing the Lightning are doing that whole "peaking at the right time" thing.

They've got to start trying some stretch passes or something, I dunno.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He can get hosed but I wonder if Q's experience would've made a difference over Brunette

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

in other news I think the Rangers need to play like they did tonight again in game 4. it was nice to give up a lot fewer shots but I feel like we weren't using our offensive talents on the breakout or rush.

we got outpossessed today, but I thought we had better chances and let Igor handle his stuff. i say we go with what got us to the dance. if we play a low event game, that's Carolina's type of party. our type of party is getting out possessed and owning on the rush and power play. LGR baby, love da Rangers

The Rags played like poo poo for the second half of all three games so while it did work out in game 3 they should probably try to improve on that.

Also if Tony "Not Very Good At" D hadn't thrown his hands in the air to whine and just picked up his stick instead (or just held onto it with even the slightest hint of commitment in the first place), Kreider probably wouldn't have scored the winner.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Florida/Tampa having a back to back in the playoffs is shameful, you telling me the back-to-back cup champs couldn’t get top billing in their own arena

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope Colorado can beat Tampa because I don't think anyone in the east will.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Florida/Tampa having a back to back in the playoffs is shameful, you telling me the back-to-back cup champs couldn’t get top billing in their own arena

Kane Brown and the guy who sings "Fancy Like Applebees on a Tuesday" had priority.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Chad Sexington posted:

Yes, the playoffs are indeed a bad time.

The Panthers will not win because they haven't figured out how to get through a clogged neutral zone. And not for nothing the Lightning are doing that whole "peaking at the right time" thing.

They've got to start trying some stretch passes or something, I dunno.

Idk their numbers look good. 84 to 60 scoring chance advantage. 37 to 24 high dangers. All situations breakdown to 105 to 71 and 44 to 31 high dangers. Raanta is posting a .971 5v5 sv% which is better than the .961 from Igor. All situations has Igor with a .956 and 4 against with 10.5 expected. Raanta posts also excellent numbers with .963 and 3 against with 7.8 expected.

The series hinges on how close to ordinary can Carolina drag Shesterkin and will Raanta hold up. Pittsburgh's greatest accomplishment was making Igor look ordinary. Unfortunately, their goaltending didn't come close to holding up.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good soup! posted:

A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. 

:ok:

I appreciate the opportunity to quote what I've already posted. please read the full rule:

2) but even if you want to go to the rulebook, you got it wrong:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

anybody who's been taught to receive a check is taught:

1) don't duck, ever. train yourself out of the reflex to get small.
2) get close to the boards and use them as opposed to being where you can get slammed into them from a foot or two away
3) get tall so you don't absorb the principle point of contact to your noggin
4) disperse the impact across your whole body so that it's not all going to your now-broken sternum
5) protect yourself at all times instead of trying to make a 10% "better" play

and every defensemen, especially at the NHL level, knows:
6) know where the first forechecker is coming from before you even get to the puck

Girard literally did none of that. while the onus is on the forechecker to not hit a guy in a vulnerable situation, the hit that Barbashev did happens 50x a game and he can't have expected Girard to have the same level of hit avoidance as a Squirt. this is the NHL, not a recreational house league. "putting yourself in a vulnerable position" also means doing none of the stuff that you expect a professional hockey player to be able to do. which is why Bednar/Avs aren't + shouldn't be upset about it. it's an unfortunate play, but (john forslund voice) THAT'S HOCKEY BABY

e:

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The spreadsheet says you are completely and categorically wrong.

i dunno which one you're talking about but the eye test said the Canes got basically nothing except a lucky weak goal and that Kakko will get 900 goals if he learns to finish any chance ever

The series hinges on how close to ordinary can Carolina drag Shesterkin and will Raanta hold up. Pittsburgh's greatest accomplishment was making Igor look ordinary. Unfortunately, their goaltending didn't come close to holding up.

it is kinda wild. i think the Leafs/Pens showed as high a peak on a sustained basis as Tampa/Colorado, clearly ahead of any other team in the playoffs, and they're both out.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 23, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

i dunno which one you're talking about but the eye test said the Canes got basically nothing except a lucky weak goal and that Kakko will get 900 goals if he learns to finish any chance ever

it is kinda wild. i think the Leafs/Pens showed as high a peak on a sustained basis as Tampa/Colorado, clearly ahead of any other team in the playoffs, and they're both out.

The one that says the Canes had 37 chances to New York's 17. Along with 17 to 8 on high dangers.

Yeah definitely no mitigating factors to the Pens losing. Definitely the unsustainable system. Gerrard is that you?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1528531563784425473
Awww man, Jack Johnson in tomorrow for Girard.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The one that says the Canes had 37 chances to New York's 17. Along with 17 to 8 on high dangers.

Yeah definitely no mitigating factors to the Pens losing. Definitely the unsustainable system. Gerrard is that you?

I dunno that system feels pretty sustainable when you got a goalie who puts up a 935 save percentage. And top notch special teams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I appreciate the opportunity to quote what I've already posted. please read the full rule:

e:

The phrasing of your bolded part actually fully acknowledges what he did was boarding, just that the refs don’t have to apply it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/Stuckey2/status/1528517929997946887

lmao

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DrunkPanda posted:

LMFAO Binnington continues to get perma-owned by Kadri. This must be driving him insane

Binnington with the self-own from the past as well

https://twitter.com/binnnasty/status/104734114913071104?s=21&t=N6LHCL7sipsGUNPh2TMdsg

good guy otherwise tho

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The spreadsheet says you are completely and categorically wrong.

https://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1528531563784425473

Oh hell ya

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pungry posted:

Kane Brown and the guy who sings "Fancy Like Applebees on a Tuesday" had priority.

The song is even worse. It's Applebee's on a Date Night.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blues fans:

“So you’re saying….there a chance?”

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm starting to wonder if the Leafs would've won a series if they'd drawn anybody except the Bolts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MJeff posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the Leafs would've won a series if they'd drawn anybody except the Bolts.

Nope.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

MJeff posted:

Gonna say… no

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

The phrasing of your bolded part actually fully acknowledges what he did was boarding, just that the refs don’t have to apply it.

no it doesn't lol

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
perron and schenn already regularly take it hard to the net and toropchenko obviously doesn't care about his own bodily safety so that's probably the norm for the rest of the series

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Pungry posted:

Speaking of suspensions, does anyone think the NHL will go back and give Hagel a suspension for this? It was initially called a 5 minute major, then was reduced to 2 by Toronto.

https://twitter.com/JamesonCoop/status/1528438828020670472

Oh thanks. I am laughing at you. You should see my face. It’s full of laughter. Thanks.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sam Girard to Jack Johnson has gotta be one of the biggest WAR/GAR/GSVA/whatever random stat you wanna use swings of the playoffs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

eXXon posted:

The Rags played like poo poo for the second half of all three games so while it did work out in game 3 they should probably try to improve on that.

Also if Tony "Not Very Good At" D hadn't thrown his hands in the air to whine and just picked up his stick instead (or just held onto it with even the slightest hint of commitment in the first place), Kreider probably wouldn't have scored the winner.

He wouldn’t have had a chance to pick up his stick and be in the play

But yeah hilarious for ranger fans that he had it flicked out of his hands because he wasn’t holding onto it tightly

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

He wouldn’t have had a chance to pick up his stick and be in the play

But yeah hilarious for ranger fans that he had it flicked out of his hands because he wasn’t holding onto it tightly

the entire Hurricanes' PR department scrambling to prevent Tony from getting back on Twitter and starting another #stopthesteal tag

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

You love to see it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/elenimut_art/status/1325123557257486339

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
:munch:

Well...

I highly doubt the conference finals will be more interesting than this series.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Flames have been in full panic mode since the 6-6 goal in game 1.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdmontonJack/status/1528570607205380096

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1528556015297474561

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

Flames have been in full panic mode since the 6-6 goal in game 1.

look like a completely different team. it's amazing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

There goes the last thing that was standing between the Lightning and the threepeat.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where's all the hand-wringing over Evander Kane doing some hockey?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

He’s still a piece of poo poo, the NHL just is a joke of an organization that allowed him to play and dude gets to play with McDavid so of course he scores a million goals.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

eXXon posted:

gently caress him, imo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MJeff posted:

gently caress him, imo.

We say F-[MAPLE LEAF]-C-K in Alberta mister

joke shamelessly stolen from CanPol

Adbot