Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love klassje.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kEKma_MeRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Breetai posted:

I'd argue that interfering with a murder investigation and lying directly to the police in respect to it isn't exactly deserving of just a slap on the wrist.

So she doesn't get credit for calling the cops despite the great personal risk, but she does need to be killed for lying to save her own life :confused:

Remember that she thought the bullet was from a Moralintern assassin, and without some kind of cover story she'd have been arrested by the RCM and then disappeared from her cell with no trial or anything. Remember also that it is not a police officer's job to punish people, especially not based on crimes they have yet to commit, and especially not based off of their fuzzy estimation of a person they've known for a couple of days.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the idea that she's just gonna keep on hurting people is silly imo, because everything that happened in the game is because a hosed up old man wanted to traumatize her by blowing her lovers brains out infront of her.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah but where are you going to find a medal on such short notice.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

worm girl posted:

So she doesn't get credit for calling the cops despite the great personal risk, but she does need to be killed for lying to save her own life :confused:

I think you're putting words into my mouth.

She does not deserve to die.

You're assuming that the option to arrest her is being made with foreknowledge of the sureity that she will 100% definitely be killed in conjunction with the intent to have that happen as the sole reason for arresting her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Breetai posted:

You're assuming that the option to arrest her is being made with foreknowledge of the sureity that she will 100% definitely be killed in conjunction with the intent to have that happen as the sole reason for arresting her.

you’re assuming the option to arrest her is made with foreknowledge that her tip on ruby is false. it goes both ways

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're really role-playing or are on your first playthrough blind arresting her isn't really a morally complicated thing or "cop brained". Depending on how well you investigate your only real info on her is that she has been constantly lying to you, and she may or may not be involved in the guy's death. There's no real evidence to go on that her story about being a spy isn't ridiculous (and her fake id poo poo you find after isn't definitive proof either). You have to believe a person who hasn't been truthful to you despite possibly several, several efforts to give her the benefit of the doubt- that she is not only a spy but such a spy that the moralintern will disappear her into a ditch if you send her to lockup.

instead of you know, a possible murderer trying to cover her rear end by constantly lying and throwing people under the bus. In a vacuum where you only know what Harry possibly knows, it's pretty benign to arrest her. You're sending someone to a lock up to get them to stop lying about a murder and you have no idea she'll get blackbagged out of there. It's not really the same thing as shaking some innocent person down or abusing your authority horribly- you're actually trying to figure out a crime with actual victims.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Oxxidation posted:

you’re assuming the option to arrest her is made with foreknowledge that her tip on ruby is false. it goes both ways

Someone who is by their own admission an espionage agent and major flight risk who has actively derailed a murder investigation probably shouldn't be given a fine or a station call.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Breetai posted:

Someone who is by their own admission an espionage agent and major flight risk who has actively derailed a murder investigation probably shouldn't be given a fine or a station call.

if it wasn’t for her phone call then there never would have been a murder investigation. and what derailment? are you talking about ruby again? because again, that requires foreknowledge, which you’ve already said is invalid

fabricated’s post above is a reasonable train of thought that would lead to an arrest decision - she’s highly untrustworthy, a possible liability, and it might be better to keep her for questioning in a cell rather than a balcony whose only deterrents are a two-story drop and a bunch of drunken hicks downstairs. your reasoning, on the other hand, hinges on either clairvoyance or cop brain

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Breetai posted:

You know what's going to happen at that point. You can wash your hands of it and go "ah, well, nevertheless" when it does happen, because moral culpability is for other people, but the stakes are not unclear. Even if you interpret it as just a high probability you're murdering her rather than a certainty.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 26, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Idk, my first time through I assumed klassje was lying about getting ganked just like she lied about everything else. She bailed on my summons anyway.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Oxxidation posted:

. and what derailment? are you talking about ruby again? because again, that requires foreknowledge, which you’ve already said is invalid

your reasoning, on the other hand, hinges on either clairvoyance or cop brain

Did you play a version of the game where immediately upon interviewing her she told you the guy got shot? Because she kept up the pretense that the hardies hanged him in mine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Breetai posted:

Did you play a version of the game where immediately upon interviewing her she told you the guy got shot? Because she kept up the pretense that the hardies hanged him in mine.

you started this off by saying she should be locked up for “hurting people.” now it’s for lying?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Idk, my first time through I assumed klassje was lying about getting ganked just like she lied about everything else. She bailed on my summons anyway.

So what did you interpret as the point of all the lies, just for shits and giggles? The RCM doesn't care about her; had she done nothing at all she'd just be a random bystander to them and even after the hanging it sounds like she'd be an extremely low-order priority in a justice system that can barely keep up with actual murders, it's just Harry's injured pride and authority voice screaming for punishment.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 26, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

So what did you interpret as the point of all the lies, just for shits and giggles?

I just assumed she was working with the mercs on assignment sowing chaos because that's kind of her job.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The first time I played through the only reason I didn't arrest her was because I felt like in the time frame we're working with that whatever testimony we get would come too late to accomplish anything. May as well give her a station call since my department seems to have all but cut me loose by my reckoning.

If I had an inkling arresting her would've lead to me or someone actually interviewing her properly in a reasonable time frame I'd have done it.

I arrested her in another playthrough and was pretty surprised that the MI did in fact come for her. Because nobody in the game is really what they say they are save Kim.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It is also telling that if you break through via Drama, you get Authority and Rhetoric chiming in saying "failure to aid a police investigation" and "purposefully misrepresenting case-crucial information" respectfully, which are medium checks {4 points} meanwhile Half Light just says "loving mind games! Enough!" which is merely an easy check {2 points} and all of those are choices you can pick when announcing why you are arresting her if you don't like the flight risk option.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^That makes sense too.

I think she genuinely wanted justice. For all her fake outer shell, I think she connected with the mercenary on a deep personal level. Both of them were corporate soldiers risking their life for someone else's money. Both of them used drugs and sex as an escape.

I have doubts that Klaasje "genuinely wanted justice." I think it's only safe to say she wanted to get the body down, but she was willing to continue her lie that Lely was killed by lynching, and she hid the reality that Lely was shot by someone who was not at the Whirling in Rags.

I have doubts that anything about Klaasje's affect can be safely determined to be genuine because it's demonstrated that she is very skilled at manipulation.

VictualSquid posted:

One interesting thing about arresting her is that is that you can't arrest her for a good reason, even thought good reasons exist. You only know how harmful she is after you already talked to Ruby, when the opportunity has passed.

Harry will come to realize that Ruby is unlikely to be the killer on his way to confront her, after the human can-opening scene with the Hardie Boys, because no one in the Whirling in Rags heard a gunshot. Although this realization only comes to Harry explicitly after the decision to arrest or not arrest Klaasje is already made, a very observant player can make this deduction before Harry does and determine that Klaasje is lying again in her last attempt to avoid arrest by framing Ruby as the killer.

The confrontation with Ruby does reveal more of Klaasje's lies, like about whose idea it was to stage the hanging, but there was enough evidence at the time of the arrest to indicate that Klaasje is providing false information on Ruby.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 26, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

EorayMel posted:

It is also telling that if you break through via Drama, you get Authority and Rhetoric chiming in saying "failure to aid a police investigation" and "purposefully misrepresenting case-crucial information" respectfully, which are medium checks {4 points} meanwhile Half Light just says "loving mind games! Enough!" which is merely an easy check {2 points} and all of those are choices you can pick when announcing why you are arresting her if you don't like the flight risk option.

And if you have your head remotely on straight, you'll realize that those are goddamn cop brain reasons to lock someone up.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

wiegieman posted:

And if you have your head remotely on straight, you'll realize that those are goddamn cop brain reasons to lock someone up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Police work should be avoided at all costs and/or apologized for profusely

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, as it should be pointed out, those skills are compromised, both before and after your check to determine your skills are compromised. It just compromises them in the other direction.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Volition was wrong about shivers. It never steers you wrong.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

UP AND ADAM posted:

Volition was wrong about shivers. It never steers you wrong.
If you're going by how I interpret it I can see Volition not liking Shivers since it really essentially is a foreign entity communicating with you rather than some facet of your personality. Shivers isn't a thought process, it's how sensitive your antenna is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fabricated posted:

If you're going by how I interpret it I can see Volition not liking Shivers since it really essentially is a foreign entity communicating with you rather than some facet of your personality. Shivers isn't a thought process, it's how sensitive your antenna is.

It’s both kinda. Shivers has two voices, one for the skill itself and then one for the city itself speaking to you

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

uhhhhh let me be clear: "le price stabilite"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Lmao

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
It is pretty interesting that there are two people you can arrest for copbrain reasons who get killed if you do so and they're both women. There are no men you can do that to.

You can certainly terrorize plenty of men in other ways, but it's never capture = death. It's like, thematic or something. His wife left him, you see.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

worm girl posted:

It is pretty interesting that there are two people you can arrest for copbrain reasons who get killed if you do so and they're both women. There are no men you can do that to.

You can certainly terrorize plenty of men in other ways, but it's never capture = death. It's like, thematic or something. His wife left him, you see.

You can TOTALLY arrest garte, or at least put him in his place :colbert:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I forget if you can ‘attempt’ to arrest anyone besides Titus or Andre and the boys, but Titus basically lols at you and thinks about how funny it would be if you actually attempted to arrest any of them, and if you actually did try they would probably hang your body next to Lely’s. And the option to arrest Andre seems insincere, or if it isn’t, then you quickly think about how dumb that would be, but I haven’t actually tried it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

What if...you could arrest kim...

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

bop bop perano posted:

I forget if you can ‘attempt’ to arrest anyone besides Titus or Andre and the boys, but Titus basically lols at you and thinks about how funny it would be if you actually attempted to arrest any of them, and if you actually did try they would probably hang your body next to Lely’s. And the option to arrest Andre seems insincere, or if it isn’t, then you quickly think about how dumb that would be, but I haven’t actually tried it.

trying to arrest the hardy boys gets you a special ending! and Kim killed. you monster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EorayMel posted:

What if...you could arrest kim...

his Authority stat says you’re welcome to try

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

more folks Are The Law than i expected ITT

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ok, this works scarily well for any politician. it may take extra prompting to get the right BG but i got some good results.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1529943439357251584

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Doc Hawkins posted:

more folks Are The Law than i expected ITT

It's impossible to make a piece of media about a subject without glamorizing it, even if it's explicitly a condemnation of it. Someone somewhere will always look at the shittiest example of the worst possible thing on their TV screen and go "Yeah...that."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Goodest Of The Good Cops
Really get Kim to trust you

Only registered members can see post attachments!