Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

CmdrRiker posted:

Wow, who cares. The real takeaway here isn't who did what first, but rather that the Democratic party is severely underestimating the power of grassroots communities tricking people to feel like the can benefit from voting against their best long-term interests.

Ita oranges to apples, people motivated enough to do that for dems are probably progressive and want real legislative goals that are in opposition to party doctrine. Those Republican grassroots meetings are probably just playing American History X and saying Edward Nortons character is a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lmao this thread is really going places

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Grouchio posted:

Why is nobody talking about the Leaked Tapes Revealing the Republican Plan to Stock Polling Places With Activists in an attempt to overturn elections??

Because this is a normal as hell thing that everyone does in every election up to and including putting people in touch with party lawyers.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ Yeah, I mean the secy. of state project has been a thing for a couple decades now.

Jaxyon posted:

I mean it literally says they based it on what Bernie did, and are now doing it for their own ends. That's what co-opting is.

I said that Dems never did those things, so it couldn't be "co-opted" from Dems.

Whether it was co-opted from Bernie is irrelevant to whether it was "co-opted" from do-nothing Democrats.

CmdrRiker posted:

Wow, who cares. The real takeaway here isn't who did what first, but rather that the Democratic party is severely underestimating the power of grassroots communities tricking people to feel like the can benefit from voting against their best long-term interests.

As some of us have pointed out, no one profit$ from community organizing as happens with ad buys & consultancy contracts.

And I'm not sure it's "tricking people... to vote against their interests" any more than the hyperbolic texts the Dems send out during campaigns.

SEND US $5 TODAY, BECAUSE IF WE GET TWO MORE SENATORS FROM GEORGIA WE'LL GET A LIVING WAGE, MEDICARE AT AGE 60, AND STUDENT-LOAN FORGIVENESS! CAN WE COUNT ON YOU, WILLA?

Two local college kids on break started a monthly food drop-off/pick-up event during the pandemic that was a rousing success in my liberal city. I can't help wondering why local Dem clubs aren't doing the same these days in their communities.

Terminal autist posted:

Ita oranges to apples, people motivated enough to do that for dems are probably progressive and want real legislative goals that are in opposition to party doctrine. Those Republican grassroots meetings are probably just playing American History X and saying Edward Nortons character is a good guy.

:confused: Did you even read the story? Because it sounds like you're writing fiction in your head instead.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 1, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

I said that Dems never did those things, so it couldn't be "co-opted" from Dems.

Whether it was co-opted from Bernie is irrelevant to whether it was "co-opted" from do-nothing Democrats.

Oh I get it you are trying to make a semantic argument that "Dems are bad" as if I disagreed with you on it.

Rock on. Dems are bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think Biden is going to have to do a refined oil products export ban to get domestic prices under control.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Astro Turf is not and never will be "Grass Roots"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Oh I get it you are trying to make a semantic argument that "Dems are bad" as if I disagreed with you on it.

Rock on. Dems are bad.

No; I was pointing out that you can't "co-opt" something that's never been "opted" in the first place.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

No; I was pointing out that you can't "co-opt" something that's never been "opted" in the first place.

Cool

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

While that's an important takeaway, I think there's another equally important takeaway: this is stuff that used to be done by leftist activists on the ground, and now it's not.

"Community centers where anyone could go to get free food, and by the way, while you and your kids are here enjoying your meal, have you heard about our ideology" was one of the Black Panthers' most effective projects. The fact that it's been inherited not by the modern left, but rather by the Republican National Committee, is a tough pill to swallow. Of course, the Black Panthers didn't sit around begging the Democrats to do it for them, nor did they insist that political power was a necessity before they could do it. They did it themselves, with their own resources, their own funding, and their own volunteers.

There's another important takeaway, too: the GOP isn't writing off any voters. They're actively engaging in political outreach to minority communities, even in blue districts. They're not treating black and Hispanic neighborhoods as permanently-unwinnable hotbeds of Democratic power - they're putting serious boots on the ground to try wooing those neighborhoods to conservatism. Even as they pursue voter suppression at the state and national levels, they're still putting in effort to win over blue-leaning minority neighborhoods at the local level.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've been saying feed your neighbors and start a food bank for a minute. I just ain't recruiting for any political party and have focused on trying to get the community to help one another instead

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

DarkCrawler posted:

Elections are not won solely on money. As some other person said, Bloomberg is not president. Elections can be won through various other tactics and have been won, even in United States. In addition, the progressives have money too (just look at their fundraising), they just spend it on ads and not more effective means. Wealthy progressives exist.

They've "tried to take over the party" in the same way I would have "tried to defeat Mike Tyson" in a fistfight when there's a table of shanks right next to me. Very honorable, but I'd still be eating mush for the rest of my life.

Because it's the only thing left to do to when you can only ask for scraps. Also that sort of tells me progressives are not trying to take over the party.

[citation needed] for this "permanent majority" in the House and it is not like those things can't be rectified by playing dirty. The left doesn't play dirty or effective at any level.

For one, start agitating people. Make them angry, give them targets, say that they can hurt those targets by voting for you. There's a plan no progressive has ever tried before. It works pretty well for everyone else.

EDIT: also I think DWS has built up corrupt patronage networks which do mobilization on the ground for her, another strategy progressives are not doing. Some of them have networks but they're entirely based on volunteer engagement and actually nice people and not quid pro quo.

Bloomberg was a well known sex pest and entered the running late. Holding him up as a perfect example of why money doesn't buy elections is utter nonsense.

But okay, thanks for clarifying that your plan is Vote Harder explained at length.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 1, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

World Famous W posted:

I've been saying feed your neighbors and start a food bank for a minute. I just ain't recruiting for any political party and have focused on trying to get the community to help one another instead

Yeah, there are lots of left groups doing this on the ground. It's the larger infrastructure that used to support them, connect them, and then pull them into political parties that's disappeared. The food banks and community outreach have not.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 1, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

World Famous W posted:

Well not a very effective political change movement, then.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

The parties should be identifying the groups that currently do this work and providing them support and assistance, not the other way around.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zore posted:

Because this is a normal as hell thing that everyone does in every election up to and including putting people in touch with party lawyers.

also the solution is to be a poll worker yourself and hope you take the job away from a chud.

but being out there means you cant be key board warrior soooo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The sooner it is acknowledged the centrist and main Democrat party is part in parcel with the GOP for the sake of fundraising and business/oligarch interest vs making life better the better.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

World Famous W posted:

Yeah, and the DSA's brake-light clinics are another way that community needs are being met through grassroots action.

I only mentioned "What if Dems did obviously good things for voters?" because it seems like a no-brainer compared to their current counterproductive methods of badgering for money via spam texts & emails, and because a lot of people in this forum consider electing Dems to be their no. 1 goal.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, there are lots of left groups doing this on the ground. It's the largest infrastructure that used to support them, connect them, and then pull them into political parties that's disappeared. The food banks and community outreach have not.

Agreed!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

astrology is very popular with the zoomers.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 1, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, and the DSA's brake-light clinics are another way that community needs are being met through grassroots action.

I only mentioned "What if Dems did obviously good things for voters?" because it seems like a no-brainer compared to their current counterproductive methods of badgering for money via spam texts & emails, and because a lot of people in this forum consider electing Dems to be their no. 1 goal.

Agreed!

And that swings us back to the fact that we don't really have a functioning left party in America. In other countries left parties would embrace a group like food not bombs and use them as a recruiting ground.

In America they're treated as terrorists.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Vahakyla posted:

As my concern is meeting the needs of those around me, be whoever they are, yeah I aint to worried about doing a recruitment drive for the political parties

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I think that the leftist organizations don’t do any of the grassroots community stuff like what the Black Panthers used to do is because of what happened to the Black Panthers when they did the grassroots community stuff.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
A more recent example of Democrats doing the community organizing thing right (initially) was Obama's absolutely monster ground game.

New Republic posted:

Obama’s Lost Army

He built a grassroots machine of two million supporters eager to fight for change. Then he let it die. This is the untold story of Obama’s biggest mistake—and how it paved the way for Trump.

On July 20, 2008, Mitch Kapor, the creator of Lotus 1-2-3 and a longtime denizen of Silicon Valley’s intellectual elite, dialed in to a conference call hosted by Christopher Edley Jr., a senior policy adviser to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. Joining them on the line were some of the world’s top experts in crowdsourcing and online engagement, including Reid Hoffman, the billionaire co-founder of LinkedIn, and Mitchell Baker, the chairman of Mozilla. Drawing on Kapor’s influence, Edley had invited them to join a “Movement 2.0 Brainstorming Group.” Together, they would ponder a crucial question: how to “sustain the movement” should Obama, who was still a month away from accepting the Democratic nomination, go on to win the White House....

https://newrepublic.com/article/140245/obamas-lost-army-inside-fall-grassroots-machine

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

theCalamity posted:

I think that the leftist organizations don’t do any of the grassroots community stuff like what the Black Panthers used to do is because of what happened to the Black Panthers when they did the grassroots community stuff.

Always a good reminder that the FBI was inside of occupy wall street before any protests started.

To swing it back to current events the story about Republicans building an "army" of poll watchers does tie into how the American left is weaker because there's no relationship with activists cultivated by the Democrats.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/01/republicans-plan-overturn-election-results-report

Having poll watchers is a smart tactic by Republicans to swing elections in their favor. A good way to combat it is obviously getting other people in and keeping Republicans out from being poll watchers. But American politics heavily correlates on where you live so red states will have few people who are not Republicans available to volunteer. It's a perfect example where the Democrats would benefit from having people on the ground to connect with the local loyal activists they do have in those places. And maybe they do, I live in the northeast so I don't know what the ground game looks like in red states very well. But it doesn't seem like that's happening.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1531989820246876160
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1531994236614152192

A really good deep dive into how the GOP ground game, taking a page from the book of community organizers and activists decades ago, has become strongly effective and very highly targeted at minority populations.

The most interesting part, illustrative of how they really Get It, is how NOT online it is - to the fact where you practically can't even find these community centers online at all. They're relying entirely on word-of-mouth and free activities to draw people in to be propagandized to.

It's too long to quote, but I'll post some excerpts.

Of course, there's plenty of mention of the Democratic Party not taking it seriously, which isn't really surprising. But what strikes me most is how this kind of on-the-ground community organizing, providing services and social events for neighbors of all kinds at a local level, used to be one of the most effective leftist moves, and now it's been entirely co-opted by the far right - who seem to know just how important this effort is, given how much trouble they're undertaking to keep national attention away from these efforts to flip individual districts and communities. In a world where politics is more and more becoming national, the GOP are targeting the local level, doing the kind of community outreach that may take years to spread but is ultimately fundamental to driving political change.

hey, I'm from this area and know the Lumbee well. they are extremely ripe for this kind of engagement from the RNC for a lot of reasons that are extremely specific to their circumstances and history. the Democrats could have easily engaged them this way as well, but for years all politicians have done is just swung by Lumberton and Pembroke and told them they'd support a bill for federal recognition.

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 1, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

A more recent example of Democrats doing the community organizing thing right (initially) was Obama's absolutely monster ground game.

Did Obama for America/Organizing for America sponsor community-outreach events to help communities, or was it mainly organizing on behalf of electing Obama?

I know they tried to get people to call members of Congress in support of the ACA after Obama was elected, but I don't recall any community organizing along the lines of providing goods & services to people.

When Dean was running in '03 there was an arm of the campaign called Dean Corps that did volunteer activism with groups like Habitat for Humanity & Save the Ocean, but I was disengaged from electoral politics by the time 2008 rolled around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bellmaker posted:

Wow really getting off to a good start to Pride Month here:

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1532076930274578433?s=20&t=BtuhQ5D88NsVk2JEnfZ7UQ

Who asked for this in 2022??? Tone-deaf to announce this on June 1st given her role in the AIDS crisis.

https://twitter.com/Pinkerton/status/1532021686165438464

This a whole nother level of corporate bullshit what the poo poo :barf:

Jesus Christ. George or Barbara Bush were right there if you just had to put a Republican on a stamp for whatever loving reason. At least the Bush family did something positive about the AIDS epidemic and didn't label it as the gay plague.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1532135094013644800?cxt=HHwWgMC-qYOwnsMqAAAA

Police were evacuating the building and evacuating victims Wednesday evening, Richard Meulenberg, with police, said Wednesday.
"We have multiple floors... with hundreds of rooms and hundreds of people within the building," he said.

----
What the hell is wrong with this country?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

The article says the police are treating the shooting as a "catastrophic situation". So yeah here we freaking go again.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Why is nobody talking about the Leaked Tapes Revealing the Republican Plan to Stock Polling Places With Activists in an attempt to overturn elections??

They've been doing this, I ran into some in 2020. They're not very good at it, is all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the big difference is that the GOP seems to be building these grassroots networks now, whereas the Dems inherited two of the biggest of the modern era and then immediately shuttered them upon winning. I wish I could believe it was as simple as indifference.

It's not co-opting anything though, this strategy is as old as elected office. At this point it's just either something you do or don't do, not some innovation, and it's frankly troubling that it lands like a unique and noteworthy thing to hear about a party doing.

Oracle posted:

They've been doing this, I ran into some in 2020. They're not very good at it, is all.

Yeah, the big problem and one that seems to be priced in though is that so long as you're pushing for evil horrible things, you get infinite do-overs until you win by chance or malice and then it's locked in and unassailable

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Charliegrs posted:

The article says the police are treating the shooting as a "catastrophic situation". So yeah here we freaking go again.

Shootings unfolding simultaneously right now: At a hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma; a Walmart in Pittson, Pennsylvania; and a high school in Los Angeles, California.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Wow really getting off to a good start to Pride Month here:

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1532076930274578433?s=20&t=BtuhQ5D88NsVk2JEnfZ7UQ

Who asked for this in 2022??? Tone-deaf to announce this on June 1st given her role in the AIDS crisis.

extremely cool to know that jill biden also loving hates queer people

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is an attempt at "bipartisan support". They are getting desperate as literal handmaid's tale villains take the country.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bishyaler posted:

Shootings unfolding simultaneously right now: At a hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma; a Walmart in Pittson, Pennsylvania; and a high school in Los Angeles, California.

it's times like these that i'm extremely thankful we elected a man who promised that nothing will fundamentally change

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

Is it hosed that my brain automatically started ranking these in how disastrous they are? Like my first thought in the LA high school shooting was "oh, only one person got injured, that's not so bad."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Epic High Five posted:

I think the big difference is that the GOP seems to be building these grassroots networks now, whereas the Dems inherited two of the biggest of the modern era and then immediately shuttered them upon winning. I wish I could believe it was as simple as indifference.

Yep. The Democrats don't just don't want to do it, they actively don't want it to happen. Grassroots activism cultivates people who want and expect things to change, and those want those kids to shut the gently caress up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zotix posted:

What the hell is wrong with this country?

Guns

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Yeah, probably not the unpayable debts, skyrocketing costs, unaffordable housing, nonexistent healthcare, predatory corporations, white supremacy, rampant fascism, or a government that refuses to fix any of it.

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bishyaler posted:

Yeah, probably not the unpayable debts, skyrocketing costs, unaffordable housing, nonexistent healthcare, predatory corporations, white supremacy, rampant fascism, or a government that refuses to fix any of it.

Yeah it's probably all that stuff and more...
But the guns certain aren't helping things, at this point.