Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dial A For Awesome posted:

The Treasury consultation referred to in this article is here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1079348/Stablecoin_FMISAR_Consultation.pdf

The gist is that the UK wants to set up a regulatory framework for stablecoins. This particular consultation is about how that regulatory regime would handle the failure of a firm with “systemic importance”. It’s initial thinking for how proper rules could be designed. It’s not about bailing out the idiots who’ve lost money on the unregulated pogs currently infesting the internet.

The suspect thinking seems to be that properly regulated stablecoins could act as a more efficient/convenient payment mechanism. In any event, all this requires new legislation “when parliamentary time allows”. There would then be a further period while the various financial regulators sort out the details. In other words, this is years away (if it happens at all).

Thank you for explaining. I read the article twice and still couldn't understand exactly what was going on. Also how does jurisdiction work in this case? I thought Luna/Terra was based out of S.Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Scratch Monkey posted:

If you’re trading your cum to get coins who exactly is taking the cum?

Bitcoin is a negative cum game

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This whole "play to earn" thing is so loving stupid. I don't know if this is just me being an old man or what but jesus gently caress.

Like, I get it, crypto wants to monetize everything but the idea that a person is going to passively generate income doing everything they enjoy is absurd. This is born out by the actual play to earn games where it's not so much a game as a boring, repetitive task that no one in their right mind would do for entertainment.

I get it. Jobs suck. But goddamn stop trying to gently caress up leisure time by making it work. Let me go to my soul griding job to earn, and let me play or gently caress or whatever to just enjoy the experience of doing those things.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

from the Political cartoons thread :

When you're being roasted by political cartoonists, perhaps it's time to pack it in

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No, that just means they're fighting us because they're afraid we'll finally dethrone their fiat. It's the step right before acceptance, we're about to moon! Buy buy buy buy [mine]!!!!!!!!!!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This whole "play to earn" thing is so loving stupid. I don't know if this is just me being an old man or what but jesus gently caress.

Like, I get it, crypto wants to monetize everything but the idea that a person is going to passively generate income doing everything they enjoy is absurd. This is born out by the actual play to earn games where it's not so much a game as a boring, repetitive task that no one in their right mind would do for entertainment.

I get it. Jobs suck. But goddamn stop trying to gently caress up leisure time by making it work. Let me go to my soul griding job to earn, and let me play or gently caress or whatever to just enjoy the experience of doing those things.

It’s people who spent year or more of their life grinding on some lovely MMORPG and don’t want to admit it was all a waste

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a natural extension of gamification turning games into jobs, where the idea is to get people addicted to making number go up, and then ramping up the number-go-up difficulty until they have to either spend forty hours a week grinding or dump their wallet into the cash shop if they want to keep those dopamine hits flowing.

The most common NFTs-in-gaming proposals tend to target people who've been through that loop enough to become disillusioned with it, but still can't shake those addictive tendencies that keep reeling them back in. Both pay-to-earn and "what if you could take your in-game stuff to other games" have obvious appeal to people who've dumped way too many hours or dollars into buying videogame gear, only to later get bored of the game and regret spending that time/money on items that are now worthless to them.

It's a scam, of course, because those are false promises. But the most effective scams are the ones that target real and legitimate issues, and falsely promise to solve those issues that people badly want solutions for.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/tip_nz/status/1532106554803007488?t=zg5IhTE_qFh6CfDKKdXgog&s=19

Totally not a cult

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

By allowing people to piss away their own energy ,

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

im chargin up my power crystals iykwim

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Source energy is the universal constant that binds all grifters to rubes.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Cyrano4747 posted:

I saw someone describe the flaw in the play to earn format yesterday in a way I could immediately grasp. These play to earn games typically have an entry cost, whether it's buying into the game's cryptocurrency or something else. So imagine one of those farms by the highway where you can pay $10 to pick as many strawberries as you want, it's a gated system like that. Now imagine paying your $10 and then trying to sell your strawberries to other people in the field who already paid $10 to pick all of the strawberries they want. That's a play to earn game. It's all sellers and no buyers.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I saw someone describe the flaw in the play to earn format yesterday in a way I could immediately grasp. These play to earn games typically have an entry cost, whether it's buying into the game's cryptocurrency or something else. So imagine one of those farms by the highway where you can pay $10 to pick as many strawberries as you want, it's a gated system like that. Now imagine paying your $10 and then trying to sell your strawberries to other people in the field who already paid $10 to pick all of the strawberries they want. That's a play to earn game. It's all sellers and no buyers.

that's literally a pyramid scam.

the only way to make money is to become a bigger predator and con people into giving you money to sell the strawberries, knowing that they will lose their money in the end.

the other way to make money is to have created the whole scam system to begin with, but no rube does this, it's people who are already rich.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

the only way to make money is to become a bigger predator and con people into giving you money to sell the strawberries, knowing that they will lose their money in the end.

the other way to make money is to have created the whole scam system to begin with, but no rube does this, it's people who are already rich.

And that's cryptocurrency

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Crypto is a pyramid scheme.

All crypto.

All exchanges.

It’s just a loving pyramid scheme.

When they run out of money they just claim that they get hacked, fake their death, or literally just laugh at the apes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Crypto is a pyramid scheme.

All crypto.

All exchanges.

It’s just a loving pyramid scheme.

When they run out of money they just claim that they get hacked, fake their death, or literally just laugh at the apes.

the line go up doc was great cause it pointed out "to the moon" is a term that literally means "the speculative bubble will peak, and that is time for the rugpull to maximize return for the conartist at the top" not whatever the hell these idiots think it means, and what elon told them it means.

It's like if let's banks were to cynically call "repossession of your house" as "good fun times in freedomville." and the rubes thought it was a good thing full of fun times and freedom.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

LifeSunDeath posted:

It definitely has the feeling of that scene from Schitt's Creek where they get into the MLM and then find out everyone else in town is a distributor. The video I watched on play to earn compared it a game like RuneScape, where there is a thriving secondary market that feeds play to earn players only because there are people in the game who actually want to play the game, but are fine with short-cutting some of the grind by buying into it instead. Essentially play to earn only works at any level if the game isn't based on play to earn.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Scratch Monkey posted:

If you’re trading your cum to get coins who exactly is taking the cum?

It doesn't matter. All crypto is based on someone doing useless busy work. Right now it's computers solving useless sudoku puzzles while burning electricity. You can easily make the useless busy work something else like wanking.

Eventually, this will lead to a real-life "shitcoin" being a thing. All they have to do is create crypto that links payouts to how often you poop. You sell a device that you insert into the anus that relays the bowel movement information to your mobile wallet through Bluetooth. This development might actually lead to record profits for particular food chains like Taco Bell so I'll be watching this space very closely.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It definitely has the feeling of that scene from Schitt's Creek where they get into the MLM and then find out everyone else in town is a distributor. The video I watched on play to earn compared it a game like RuneScape, where there is a thriving secondary market that feeds play to earn players only because there are people in the game who actually want to play the game, but are fine with short-cutting some of the grind by buying into it instead. Essentially play to earn only works at any level if the game isn't based on play to earn.

IGN REVIEW:

3* Game is kind of fun but the other players are seriously boring, they just run around in circles killing level 1 mobs all day and won't talk to me, well one did talk to me and said something about "it's this or sell my organs." and while I think he's roleplaying, I'm not so sure now.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

I know my country was the one dumb enough to do Brexit but this really is mindboggling. Two ostensibly sensible, sober, financially tuned in men at the highest level of power in the nations finances deciding to go all in on loving shitcoins. Just incredible.

Most of the people in positions of power are the epitome of "Born on third base and think they hit a triple". It should be no surprise that these idiot higher-ups have gotten entangled in crypto after buying into the hype around them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJa9diJOMk

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Plus it's a serious race to the bottom even among poo poo like MMO gold sellers. Once in a while you'll find some goon who got in on the early days of something like the AH or WOW gold and made a few bucks, but by the time the game is established at all you're dealing with farming operations in China or whathave you.

Basically it quickly goes from "play to earn" to "work to earn" because the people doing the in-game grinding are hourly employees at a 24h goldfarm somewhere with cheap labor and cheap electricity.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus it's a serious race to the bottom even among poo poo like MMO gold sellers. Once in a while you'll find some goon who got in on the early days of something like the AH or WOW gold and made a few bucks, but by the time the game is established at all you're dealing with farming operations in China or whathave you.

Basically it quickly goes from "play to earn" to "work to earn" because the people doing the in-game grinding are hourly employees at a 24h goldfarm somewhere with cheap labor and cheap electricity.

now take that and pay those farmers in totally stable and transferrable bitcoin, LOL!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

happyhippy posted:

It was Judge Dredded/Super Marioed.
Movie execs didn't know poo poo about what they had, so changed it into a loving abomination.

okay look this is just ashistorical nonsense. tank girl fuckin slaps. and yes i've read the drat comics. i used to love it and Love and Rockets

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I still remember the dumb article from SERIOUS NEWSPAPER Bloomberg or Wallstreet that said in 2021 spring , "what if mario kart was an NFT????" Also I think this was when someone point out that a lot of chess tourneys had coinz sponsorships/ads. lol.

Isnt the whole point of skill based competitive games is that youre suppose to pull deep/try hard and then be better than your opponent? not just lazily buy your better elo ranking.

Also I think some of this earndoinganythingandeverything poo poo is based on these people remembering their Econ 101 class and the vocab word "opportunity cost" and applying it to everything.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Tarquinn posted:

See this house? The car? The pool?

I wanked very hard for it.

But my prime wanking years are gone! So many thousands of wanks, gone. Like tears in the rain.

Also, gives a whole knew meaning to the phrase “if you don’t use it, you lose it”.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

if you listen to them talk it becomes extremely clear very fast that the guys this is being marketed to don't enjoy any experience except watching number go up and flashing their wad online, and see this as a way to legitimately enjoy playing for the first time. A lot of this last wave of crypto schemes rely on the assumption that everyone else is also a dead-eyed sociopath faking an interest in [art|games|sex|friends] to grift money, and the creators are just the first ones brave enough to openly acknowledge it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 2, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
then just play cookie clicker or other idle games.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

clicker game nfts...grind our pay to win game to earn a chance at an NFT that will allow you another chance to work for us as a game grinder of NFTs.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The People Make Games guys did a really good video on the mechanics of play to earn games that makes it pretty clear it’s just obfuscated gambling, complete with “the house always wins”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPLp5u3iSU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Talorat posted:

The People Make Games guys did a really good video on the mechanics of play to earn games that makes it pretty clear it’s just obfuscated gambling, complete with “the house always wins”.

oh poo poo that board game dude.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Matt Levine predictably has a good take on the OpenSea insider trading arrest today: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-06-02/don-t-insider-trade-nfts (paywall kinda comes and goes)

He frequently explains how everything is securities fraud, but explains today that *really everything* is wire fraud:

Matt Levine posted:

Now, insider trading is a type of securities fraud. But there is another federal statute that makes it a crime to use “any scheme or artifice to defraud” someone using a phone or the internet.[2] This crime is generally called “wire fraud,” and it is much broader than securities fraud. Securities fraud is doing fraud about securities. Wire fraud is doing fraud about absolutely anything, as long as you do the fraud using email or the phone or text messages or a chat app, and in 2022 you certainly do. So every fraud is wire fraud.

Basically, if you are going to do a crimes, dont communicate via electronic means about it. Or, the mail. Or, in person. In fact, probably keep your criming to yourself, because it will make you both harder to catch and harder to prosecute.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Talorat posted:

Their recent video on VR Chat is a recommended watch as well.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

drk posted:

Matt Levine predictably has a good take on the OpenSea insider trading arrest today: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-06-02/don-t-insider-trade-nfts (paywall kinda comes and goes)

He frequently explains how everything is securities fraud, but explains today that *really everything* is wire fraud:

Basically, if you are going to do a crimes, dont communicate via electronic means about it. Or, the mail. Or, in person. In fact, probably keep your criming to yourself, because it will make you both harder to catch and harder to prosecute.

very cool how so much of crypto could clearly qualify as either securities fraud and/or wire fraud, and yet the only time the feds muster up the will to prosecute is when an employee of the monkey .jpeg clearinghouse defrauds his monkey .jpeg clearinghouse employer based on confidential knowledge of monkey .jpeg advertisements, and the monkey .jpeg clearinghouse offers him up on a silver platter to the feds after building their case for them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Talorat posted:

i love that youtube gave me an EVE Online ad when i clicked on this

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

very cool how so much of crypto could clearly qualify as either securities fraud and/or wire fraud, and yet the only time the feds muster up the will to prosecute is when an employee of the monkey .jpeg clearinghouse defrauds his monkey .jpeg clearinghouse employer based on confidential knowledge of monkey .jpeg advertisements, and the monkey .jpeg clearinghouse offers him up on a silver platter to the feds after building their case for them

This is fudd sir, the nft in question was ramen noodle based

(I dont personally care much for it, but it is a lot closer to "art" than monkeyape # 7312 / 10000)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

precision posted:

i love that youtube gave me an EVE Online ad when i clicked on this

EVE Online is made by people who are so in touch with what their audience wants that they announced a collaboration with Microsoft Excel that allow you to export game data directly into spreadsheets, and it was met with cheers and applause.

I am confident in saying that they know that announcing in NFTs would result in someone burning down their offices.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

EVE Online is made by people who are so in touch with what their audience wants that they announced a collaboration with Microsoft Excel that allow you to export game data directly into spreadsheets, and it was met with cheers and applause.

I am confident in saying that they know that announcing in NFTs would result in someone burning down their offices.

didnt a real life EVE thing once involve finding the real life address/house of a space captain, and cutting their power right before they staged some operation?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah if anything i would expect eve online aficionados would go hog loving wild for another avenue for scamming each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GME to shareholders, months ago: "there are 77M shares outstanding and we're authorized to have 300M. if you vote to raise that cap to 1B, we'll consider giving you what's called a 'stock dividend.'"

cultist shareholders: "a stock dividend you say? clearly that means shorts [who never covered, despite an SEC report saying they did] will have to locate/buy X real shares for each share they've shorted and that'll cause the MOASS! EVERYONE VOTE YES. as soon as the votes are tallied they'll give us X times the shares and the price will go to the moon!"

====

GME, 2 hours ago: "thank you for voting yes to everything we wanted. if it makes sense, we'll consider a stock split at some point in the future."

cultist shareholders: "they're just saying that to keep the hedge funds on their toes! the dividend will be any minute now!"

onlookers: "did...did they just vote to allow GME to sell shares and dilute themselves without getting anything in return? if GME issues more shares, the price goes down, and any reason to split goes away."

narrator: "that's exactly what they did."