Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Doubting the cops' story (which has changed multiple times over the past few days) isn't a conspiracy theory, jesus christ.

Didn't they get the ball rolling on this themselves by suddenly saying "we didn't shoot any kids" entirely unprompted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

The Bananana posted:

Yeah it's probably all that stuff and more...
But the guns certain aren't helping things, at this point.

No, they aren't helping.

People are lashing out, and the gun makes them more effective.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Bishyaler posted:

Yeah, probably not the unplayable debts, skyrocketing costs, unaffordable housing, nonexistent healthcare, predatory corporations, white supremacy, rampant fascism, or a government that refuses to fix any of it.

The original quoted poster was asking what the root problem was behind lots of people being killed in mass shootings, and the second quoted poster responded with the objectively correct answer to the question. Hopefully this clarifies what was going on for you but thanks for bringing up other things that are also wrong with the country that don't really have anything to do with mass shootings.

You could make an argument that by virtue of gun nuts almost all being white supremacists that fits but not all white supremacist gun nuts are mass shooters and vice versa

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Didn't they get the ball rolling on this themselves by suddenly saying "we didn't shoot any kids" entirely unprompted?

They said they believed they didn’t shoot any kids. Gotta leave some wiggle room there.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

They said they believed they didn’t shoot any kids. Gotta leave some wiggle room there.

Yeah, whatever the facts and evidence may say their hearts and best intentions say they didn’t do it

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yinlock posted:

No. They were asked specifically if the kids were caught in the crossfire or if they were shot by the gunman, and the police said it was still being investigated but they believed that the kids had only been shot by the gunman.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Thread for more in-depth discussion of gun control than a current events thread can bear: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003545

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bishyaler posted:

Bloomberg was a well known sex pest and entered the running late. Holding him up as a perfect example of why money doesn't buy elections is utter nonsense.

But okay, thanks for clarifying that your plan is Vote Harder explained at length.

If you're going to respond with weak poo poo like this, I'd rather you'd not respond at all. It's obvious you either didn't read what I wrote or have no answer to it, neither is a good look.

Also wow it looks like money is not enough if you have other issues and run half-assedly, that sounds like it is not all just decided by fat stacks, you want to elaborate on this seeming doublethink?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 2, 2022

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Bishyaler posted:

No, they aren't helping.

People are lashing out, and the gun makes them more effective.

Rock music Video games Mental health Rent too high

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

Rock music Video games Mental health Rent too high

there's a lot of countries with more guns than us per capita and nothing like our number of mass shootings

of course, those countries have some kind of social safety net to catch you before you hit 'do a super cool murder-suicide rampage as your last act,' and the american government approach to such things is that they cause inflation somehow.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's a lot of countries with more guns than us per capita and nothing like our number of mass shootings

Which ones? My understanding is the US has more than double the number of guns per capita compared to the next country, which is the Falklands or something.

edit:

Yup,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country

kinda invalidates any point you were trying to make.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 2, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

There isn't. US has highest number of guns per capita in civilian ownership.
What he refers to, possibly, is the number of gun owners without counting the amount of guns. Finland, Switzerland, Italy, lot of eastern european countries have a high number of gun owners, but there's relatively few guns because usually a hunter owns a bolt action rifle and a shotgun, and a sports shooter has one Ar-15 and one pistol. Literally no body has those insane troves that you see in US gun owners.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-ownership-by-country

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

of course, those countries have some kind of social safety net to catch you before you hit 'do a super cool murder-suicide rampage as your last act,' and the american government approach to such things is that they cause inflation somehow.

You probably should have looked up if this is true before repeating it. I'm going to let you go do that now and report back with your findings.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 2, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

According to the all-knowing oracle the US has twice as many civilian-owned guns per capita (120.5) as the next gunniest place, which is....the Falkland Islands (62.1), apparently. Then Yemen, New Calidonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Canada (respectively, 52.8, 42.5, 39.1, 39.1, 34.7).

Nowhere else is even close to having more guns than people.

Finland is only a few percentage points behind us on percent of households with one or more firearms, with Bosnia and Herzegovina a few more points beyond that. 42, 37.9, and 34% percent, respectively.

The US has twice as many guns per capita as it did in 1968, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 2, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Hey look, we've reached the terrorism stage of anti-trans rhetoric

https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1531735173330616327

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Nowhere else is even close to having more guns than people.

Finland is only a few percentage points behind us on percent of households with one or more firearms, with Bosnia and Herzegovina a few more points beyond that. 42, 37.9, and 34% percent, respectively.

Ding ding ding it's this. Lot of countries are very close to the US with households with a gun stat, but nowhere near with the amount of gun.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Guns $3,600
Utility $150

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. I can't pay my rent.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

poo poo, how do I get my grocery bill down to $200?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Xombie posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Guns $3,600
Utility $150

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. I can't pay my rent.

(And also incidentally, my family is dying)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Is cincy zoo sniper IK'ing this thread now?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

There isn't. US has highest number of guns per capita in civilian ownership.
What he refers to, possibly, is the number of gun owners without counting the amount of guns. Finland, Switzerland, Italy, lot of eastern european countries have a high number of gun owners, but there's relatively few guns because usually a hunter owns a bolt action rifle and a shotgun, and a sports shooter has one Ar-15 and one pistol. Literally no body has those insane troves that you see in US gun owners.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-ownership-by-country

yep, that was it, brain fart. Higher gun ownership rates.

'Gun culture' is absolutely part of the problem, but the idea that if the Vegas shooter had only a dozen guns as opposed to what, fifty? he'd have been less of a problem is just as transparent a misdirection as someone going off about violent video games.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vahakyla posted:

Ding ding ding it's this. Lot of countries are very close to the US with households with a gun stat, but nowhere near with the amount of gun.

Also as someone from country number #10 I've never met a gun owner who also wasn't a hunter, in the military or police. Even I was a gun owner and I guess technically still am but I haven't hunted or been in the army for over a decade so I haven't held one in ages.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

yep, that was it, brain fart. Higher gun ownership rates.

'Gun culture' is absolutely part of the problem, but the idea that if the Vegas shooter had only a dozen guns as opposed to what, fifty? he'd have been less of a problem is just as transparent a misdirection as someone going off about violent video games.

There aren't any with higher gun ownership rates either, so even here your initial assertion is false and it's really on you to show that gun ownership isn't the problem in the country with the most mass shootings, the most guns, and the highest rate of gun ownership.

e: Also there's a gun control thread now. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003545

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 2, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Michael Avenatti finally gets a four-year term

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1532387004800983040

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

There aren't any with higher gun ownership rates either, so even here your initial assertion is false and it's really on you to show that gun ownership isn't the problem in the country with the most mass shootings, the most guns, and the highest rate of gun ownership.

you'd expect the Swiss or the Finns to have -anything- like our mass shooting problems if easy access to guns was the key problem here.

they do not.

there is something we have that they don't, or something they have that we don't.

i've always been skeptical of the cultural explanations; american cultural exports are ubiquitous, anything wrong with us that was purely culture based should pop up everywhere else in short order.

but we've got the shittiest social safety net in the developed world, and we also have a running trend of people who feel like their lives are over deciding to go out in a blaze of murderous glory.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

you'd expect the Swiss or the Finns to have -anything- like our mass shooting problems if easy access to guns was the key problem here.

they do not.

there is something we have that they don't, or something they have that we don't.

i've always been skeptical of the cultural explanations; american cultural exports are ubiquitous, anything wrong with us that was purely culture based should pop up everywhere else in short order.

but we've got the shittiest social safety net in the developed world, and we also have a running trend of people who feel like their lives are over deciding to go out in a blaze of murderous glory.

I think you're right in that with no guns and no safety net we would see something more like the UK where the violence is still rampant but the weapons available cut down on how much violence can be committed. I'd still rather be dodging knives from kids who think they have no reason to live over dodging bullets from them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is where I repost that awful cartoon someone made a few years ago of Mueller and Avenatti flying as superheroes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is where I repost that awful cartoon someone made a few years ago of Mueller and Avenatti flying as superheroes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

they do not.

This isn't an either/or thing here, our myriad social problems are obviously contributing factors and I wouldn't dispute that. If you want to discuss further Harold Fjord and I took the conversation over to the gun control thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thank you goon sire

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Aged like fine Roman wine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol that one of them has Lex Luthor colours.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think you're right in that with no guns and no safety net we would see something more like the UK where the violence is still rampant but the weapons available cut down on how much violence can be committed. I'd still rather be dodging knives from kids who think they have no reason to live over dodging bullets from them.

yeah, no argument on that front. but as long as we're wishcasting about ways to solve the problem that nobody in power is going to try, we can afford to admit that even Thanos snapping all the guns in the country away doesn't solve the problem, just bring its lethality down.

in a hypothetical world where implementing a social safety net was on the table, Switzerland and company suggest that would handle the problem at the low low cost of gun owners continuing to regularly kill themselves and their family members.

but we all know that's the only thing less on the table than gun control legislation, soooo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
E: Nevermind, posted this late and point has already been made

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol that one of them has Lex Luthor colours.
I had the same thought

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yeah, no argument on that front. but as long as we're wishcasting about ways to solve the problem that nobody in power is going to try, we can afford to admit that even Thanos snapping all the guns in the country away doesn't solve the problem, just bring its lethality down.

in a hypothetical world where implementing a social safety net was on the table, Switzerland and company suggest that would handle the problem at the low low cost of gun owners continuing to regularly kill themselves and their family members.

but we all know that's the only thing less on the table than gun control legislation, soooo

The comedy option would be that banning guns just finally finishes Kissinger's work and suicide bombings become an American tradition.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

they do not.

You realize that Swiss and Finns both have massive regulations that mean not every chucklefuck gets to have a gun? The last mass shooter would not have been accepted into the conscript militaries, for example, nor a hunting club (also harder to do mass shootings with a hunting rifle).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1531989820246876160
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1531994236614152192

A really good deep dive into how the GOP ground game, taking a page from the book of community organizers and activists decades ago, has become strongly effective and very highly targeted at minority populations.

The most interesting part, illustrative of how they really Get It, is how NOT online it is - to the fact where you practically can't even find these community centers online at all. They're relying entirely on word-of-mouth and free activities to draw people in to be propagandized to.

It's too long to quote, but I'll post some excerpts.

Of course, there's plenty of mention of the Democratic Party not taking it seriously, which isn't really surprising. But what strikes me most is how this kind of on-the-ground community organizing, providing services and social events for neighbors of all kinds at a local level, used to be one of the most effective leftist moves, and now it's been entirely co-opted by the far right - who seem to know just how important this effort is, given how much trouble they're undertaking to keep national attention away from these efforts to flip individual districts and communities. In a world where politics is more and more becoming national, the GOP are targeting the local level, doing the kind of community outreach that may take years to spread but is ultimately fundamental to driving political change.

But the alternative of piously and condescendingly lecturing people on Twitter has worked so well!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TipTow posted:

He's the gunman on the grassy knoll, don't be fooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

TipTow posted:

No. That was just a guest probie.