Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh yeah, there's some pro-choice elected Republicans, even at the national level. They're lying low right now, though, because the GOP base is actually super motivated to oust politicians that aren't seen as conservative enough.

Example from the sensible moderate republican loving state of Massachusetts:

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2022/05/massachusetts-must-step-up-for-abortion-care-if-roe-is-overturned-gov-charlie-baker-says.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think that political assassinations are good.

Most people who say this don't really believe it. They just believe they aren't good here, usually for American exceptionalism/It-Can't-Happen-Here related reasons.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Not yet.

I don't think that political assassinations are good.

Violating a person's bodily autonomy is an act of violence. I cannot find it in my heart - cold and cynical as it may be - to drat any person that responds to violence in kind.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

The Madison Capitol protests, the Occupy protests, even the protests at the SCOTUS homes could all be painted with the same broad brush of "insurrection" and "coup" that has been used for 1/6

If you literally don't understand what those words mean, then yes.

In that scenario, Cheerios could also be painted as a coup and a balanced breakfast as an insurrection.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

Most people who say this don't really believe it. They just believe they aren't good here, usually for American exceptionalism/It-Can't-Happen-Here related reasons.

Seems to me to be either a 'win more' move or a 'shoot yourself in the foot when you're already behind' move. Kavanaugh's camp isn't behind.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you literally don't understand what those words mean, then yes.

In that scenario, Cheerios could also be painted as a coup and a balanced breakfast as an insurrection.

So far occupy has been treated more like an insurrectionist coup by the government than either the Brooks Brothers riot or 1/6.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Bishyaler posted:

You got data to back this assertion up?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

And, ironically, I think that Dems would be more persuasive by saying so rather than pretending 1/6 was on par with 9/11.

I don't quite get how you would..phrase this.. without it coming across as literally saying "we know we're full-of-poo poo liars but please trust us that the other guys are worse". Which, if it somehow worked, would only prove that Dems were never in danger to begin with. Idk, maybe that's your point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gumball Gumption posted:

So far occupy has been treated more like an insurrectionist coup by the government than either the Brooks Brothers riot or 1/6.

Well then clearly they were, given that people seem to be taking the lead from government response.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 9, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gumball Gumption posted:

how many people have been indicted for sedition in each case?

FizFashizzle posted:

Methotrexate is never going to be banned.

If you're concerned that any drug that could be used as an abortion pill or whatever will be banned, then you're also worried about things like Estradiol, Warfarin, Tretinoin, Aspirin etc.

I hope you are correct, but I would not put it past some state legislatures to start threatening suppliers of the drugs they deem to be bad.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I noticed one of the ways a lot of chuds handwave away Jan 6 was that "They weren't armed". Well I mean didn't most of the rioters come from out of state? And most of them flew to DC? It's not exactly easy to fly with a gun. Im not even sure you can legitimately fly with a handgun. There are ways to do it (I think hunters can fly with a gun) but it's extremely difficult from what I understand.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If anyone is interested in a very good podcast on this topic, I'd suggest listening to Robert Evans' "It Could Happen Here". It originally started off as a 9 part series on how exactly a second American Civil War could happen based on a combination of facts, historical precedent, and his own experiences as a war reporter covering two real world civil wars. It was started back up again after a couple of years and is now a daily releasing show, and I can't speak to the quality of the newer episodes but however I highly recommend everyone at least listen to the original nine part series. It's pretty much everywhere podcasts are. Episode length is reasonable too, between 30-40 minutes per ep.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-it-could-happen-here-30717896/

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

syntaxrigger posted:

Was it Giffords that got shot by some right winger after Sarah Palin vomited a bunch of shooting themed rhetoric? That seems like decades ago now.

11 years ago, so you're not wrong. Certain media outlets were heavily vested in promoting that Loughner was a right-winger spurred on by Palin, then dropped any examination of his motivations once they didn't fit that neat narrative. He had a history of mental illness, bizarre behavior and abused a wide range of drugs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/01/10/132810483/loughner-social-outcast-with-indecipherable-beliefs sums up some of it.

-- Mother Jones magazine spoke with a friend of Loughner's, 22-year-old Bryce Tierney, who says the suspect "held a years-long grudge against Giffords and had repeatedly derided her as a 'fake'."

-- The Associated Press reports that "at an event roughly three years ago, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords took a question from Jared Loughner. ... According to two of his high school friends the question was essentially this: 'What is government if words have no meaning?' Loughner was angry about her response -- she read the question and didn't have much to say."

And the AP says that the friends "paint a picture bolstered by other former classmates and Loughner's own Internet postings: that of a social outcast with nihilistic, almost indecipherable beliefs steeped in mistrust and paranoia."

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

uggy posted:

Here's a softball pitch: Was the July 20 Plot good or bad?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

uggy posted:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A pack of deranged idiots swarming a government building is pretty bad, but it's not a coup because Trump was a stone cold stupid motherfucker and didn't do the leg work to get institutions behind him. The US coup is going to happen in the courts and behind the ballot boxes. Exactly the way it is already being built. Republicans will just refuse to lose elections from here on out and justify it with "They did it first!" then they'll pass more laws and put more judges in place and suppress more votes until they just stop losing because everything is built so they cannot lose.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Charliegrs posted:

I noticed one of the ways a lot of chuds handwave away Jan 6 was that "They weren't armed". Well I mean didn't most of the rioters come from out of state? And most of them flew to DC? It's not exactly easy to fly with a gun. Im not even sure you can legitimately fly with a handgun. There are ways to do it (I think hunters can fly with a gun) but it's extremely difficult from what I understand.

they were armed and had caches of weapons right across state lines with people ready to bring them.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1413196545843990531

Bishyaler posted:

Here's a softball pitch: Was the July 20 Plot good or bad?

is this like Godwin's assassination rule?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Has anyone heard anything else about when Biden will attempt to remove Dejoy from the Post Office? The only thing I saw without looking hard was Jill Biden doing the event with Dejoy to honor Nancy Reagan during Pride month.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

papa horny michael posted:

Has anyone heard anything else about when Biden will attempt to remove Dejoy from the Post Office? The only thing I saw without looking hard was Jill Biden doing the event with Dejoy to honor Nancy Reagan during Pride month.

Right after they get around to the Henry Kissenger commemorative stamps.

we now live in a perpetual mass shooting

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1535003244681957376

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
:siren:
D&D's rules have been updated to be clearer and shorter. What we've been trying to enforce hasn't really changed. If anything about them concerns you, please PM me or post your thoughts in the upcoming feedback thread.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Senate finally confirmed Biden's postal board of Governors nominees two weeks ago. There are technically a majority of the board appointed by Biden now, although one of them is a Republican because of a partisan balance requirement.

If all 5 of Biden's nominees (or his 4 non-Republican nominees and the Democrat nominated by Trump), decided to hold a no confidence vote, then they could do it now by one vote.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Senate finally confirmed Biden's postal board of Governors nominees two weeks ago. There are technically a majority of the board appointed by Biden now, although one of them is a Republican because of a partisan balance requirement.

If all 5 of Biden's nominees (or his 4 non-Republican nominees and the Democrat nominated by Trump), decided to hold a no confidence vote, then they could do it now by one vote.

What's stopping them then?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Koos Group posted:

:siren:
D&D's rules have been updated to be clearer and shorter. What we've been trying to enforce hasn't really changed. If anything about them concerns you, please PM me or post your thoughts in the upcoming feedback thread.
I fear I may not be funny enough to pass rule II.B so I don't like it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

What's stopping them then?

Nothing technically.

They haven't had a full meeting since the new members were appointed two weeks ago. But, Trump's Democrat and Biden's Republican haven't said if they would support removing him or not. If either of them supports it and 4 of the Democrats and Independent do as well, then they could do it whenever they convene next.

There's nothing legally stopping them as of two weeks ago.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I thought I had read interviews with a few of the democrat appointees that they supported Dejoy. But that could have been during Trump's presidency.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I thought I had read interviews with a few of the democrat appointees that they supported Dejoy. But that could have been during Trump's presidency.

There was one that was 100% against removing DeJoy (Bloom) and one who didn't like DeJoy's reforms, but he was from the AFL-CIO and softened on removing DeJoy when he ended up giving in to the Postal Worker Union demands for overtime, health care funding reform, minimum staffing requirements, and step-up raises (Moak).

Bloom is gone and his seat was one of the ones replaced two weeks ago.

Moak is still on there and was the Democrat appointed by Trump. He's been critical of DeJoy, but backed off a little when the unions got what they wanted. And he has never said one way or the other if he would support removing him.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Wapo seems to be handling internal staffing quite well. After suspending one employee for a sexist tweet, they fired the woman that complained about it.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1535009230620614656

newsrooms seem like hellish workplaces.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1534994603652300800?s=21&t=tHu6IH_lAJjdnx0hjv-paw

Nothing to see here, just the Treasury Secretary ask Michael “how much could a banana cost? Ten dollars?”

This is a huge disconnect between the people on power and the rest of us. So many people are living paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford an emergency, but there have been jobs gains so it’s all fine. The price of food, gas, and housing are going up (and I believe that good and housing aren’t factored into inflation) but there have been job gains so it’s fine.

Why is everyone so pessimistic when so many more people have gotten jobs*?!

*let’s just ignore how unemployment numbers are massaged to hell and back to appear more favorable than it actually is thereby creating an alternate reality that the democrats place way too much importance on

Edit: forgot to add that she says that gas prices aren’t going to go down anytime soon. She’s got one of the answers in front of her but doesn’t make the connection

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 9, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

You're the one deciding your position on issues based on how democrats behave.

That's probably a bad idea and and I agree it doesn't make much sense, but that's the position you've taken.

As a leftist, I'm saying that's a bad idea.

Jayxon, I'm straight up skeptical of the severity of Jan 6. Maybe it is a big deal, but the behavior of the Democrats is not consistent with that being so. If the Democrats are behaving as though it is merely fundraising fodder, and that is consistent with my intuition, why shouldn't I come to that conclusion?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Things that could have convinced me that Jan. 6 was a big deal:

-taking immediate action on the day of
-purging/punishing the negligent actions of the police involved
-directing the DoJ to skullfuck Donald Trump

These actions would be extremely out of the ordinary of the usual behavior of the Democrats, and would serve as evidence that Jan 6 was truly an extraordinary event. But the Democrats have done nothing out of the ordinary, in fact they have done nothing to arrest the ascent of the overtly fascist party.

So, yeah. The fascists are going to take power--they won't even need a coup to do it--and the Dems ain't gonna do poo poo to stop them. Best not to expend energy on it and instead to look out for myself and those I care about, because the Democratic party sure as poo poo isn't going to!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

A big flaming stink posted:

Jayxon, I'm straight up skeptical of the severity of Jan 6. Maybe it is a big deal, but the behavior of the Democrats is not consistent with that being so. If the Democrats are behaving as though it is merely fundraising fodder, and that is consistent with my intuition, why shouldn't I come to that conclusion?

Several people have said they don't think it's a big deal because the democrats don't. I have to take them at their word as I must assume good faith.

I think using Dem inaction to determine whether something matters or not is a bad idea. But that's just me!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Things that could have convinced me that Jan. 6 was a big deal:

-taking immediate action on the day of
-purging/punishing the negligent actions of the police involved
-directing the DoJ to skullfuck Donald Trump

These actions would be extremely out of the ordinary of the usual behavior of the Democrats, and would serve as evidence that Jan 6 was truly an extraordinary event. But the Democrats have done nothing out of the ordinary, in fact they have done nothing to arrest the ascent of the overtly fascist party.

So, yeah. The fascists are going to take power--they won't even need a coup to do it--and the Dems ain't gonna do poo poo to stop them. Best not to expend energy on it and instead to look out for myself and those I care about, because the Democratic party sure as poo poo isn't going to!

Funny enough not doing those things is what will make 1/6 a big deal in history. I guess that's the split here, 1/6 is a big deal. The response to 1/6 from the government? Ehhhhh.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

They impeached a president over it, started the largest criminal investigation in FBI history, and are holding Congressional hearings on it. That's pretty much every lever of taking it seriously the Democrats have the ability to pull.

This idea that they're "not taking it seriously" is based on them not doing the things you think should be done. That's not evidence of them not taking it seriously, that's evidence of them not agreeing with you about what should be done about it. They are very much doing the things you do if you take things seriously according to what they believe should be done.

Your argument only follows if you think the Democratic establishment has the same ideological and political beliefs as you. Not doing things your way doesn't mean someone doesn't care, it might just mean they think your way is dumb.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 9, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Out of curiosity, what currently does count as a "big deal" by this standard?

None of the things that I personally think are a big deal--climate change, police violence, trans rights, access to health care, access to legal abortion, response to COVID, and so on--do not, as near as I can tell, pass the litmus test you're proposing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The GOP takeover will be perfectly legal (or at least constitutional crisis semi-legal, think Florida 2020). They won't need to shoot Senators or anything.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

SubG posted:

Out of curiosity, what currently does count as a "big deal" by this standard?

None of the things that I personally think are a big deal--climate change, police violence, trans rights, access to health care, access to legal abortion, response to COVID, and so on--do not, as near as I can tell, pass the litmus test you're proposing.

Clearly none of those things should be considered a big deal. I agree that seems like a bad way to evaluate things, but that's what people are saying they use to evaluate.

Weirdly, from people who generally seem to criticize Democrats.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oh good. We really needed a few more of them there to help the rest of them stand around and do nothing.

Lib and let die posted:

Violating a person's bodily autonomy is an act of violence. I cannot find it in my heart - cold and cynical as it may be - to drat any person that responds to violence in kind.

Ok. You do you and I get where you're coming from but I'm trying to imagine a world where that guy was succesful and if you think a cop driven right wing political world is bad now, the blowback from something like that would be immense and 3/4 of the democrats would fall right in line. It would be bad if people start murdering political opponents and I don't think that's a controversial opinion to hold. I'd prefer that people were not murdered.

I am for less murdering accross the board.

Perhaps I am naive.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jarmak posted:

They impeached a president over it, started the largest criminal investigation in FBI history, and are holding Congressional hearings on it. That's pretty much every lever of taking it seriously the Democrats have the ability to pull.

This idea that they're "not taking it seriously" is based on them not doing the things you think should be done. That's not evidence of them not taking it seriously, that's evidence of them not agreeing with you about what should be done about it. They are very much doing the things you do if you take things seriously according to what they believe should be done.

Your argument only follows if you think the Democratic establishment has the same ideological and political beliefs as you. Not doing things your way doesn't mean someone doesn't care, it might just mean they think your way is dumb.

you know what it looks like when an insurrection is being taken seriously by American politicians. in a prominent case we both remember, it involved American soldiers being sent into a city to kill every man between twelve and eighty, with a justification in its entirety of 'try and stop us, bitch.' Fallujah was something democrats thought was an insurrection, and something they gleefully endorsed drowning in blood and gunfire rather than risk it growing further.

1/6, by comparison, received the same reaction as 'president did sex crimes.' sure, its the kind of thing that leadership would prefer not happen, because brushing it under the table is a slower and uglier process than they'd like, but call it a deal-breaker and you will be laughed out of the room at best.

a party that wanted to wield power could have used 1/6 as a justification to consolidate it and force its agenda through. it has been two years of a democratic trifecta. you know the modern democratic party has neither the will, nor an agenda to push through if they did. if they don't want to lift a finger to protect themselves, why should anyone else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

University of Chicago Study: Americans support liberal economic policies in response to deepening economic inequality except when the likely beneficiaries are disproportionately Black.

The Color of Disparity: Racialized Income Inequality and Support for Liberal Economic Policies

A corpus of research on the effect of exposure to income inequality on citizens’ economic policy preferences renders inconclusive results. At the same time, a distinct body of work demonstrates that ethnic fragmentation within a polity reduces government spending, presumably due to opposition among the public to spending believed to benefit stigmatized ethnic minorities. Focusing on the American context, this short article ties these two bodies of work together by arguing that the effect of routine exposure to income inequality should depend on the racial composition of the have-nots, with citizens being most likely to support liberal economic policies in the face of pronounced inequality only when potential beneficiaries are not a highly stigmatized minority group, such as Black Americans. Using geocoded survey data, we find that exposure to local economic inequality is only systematically associated with increased support for liberal economic policies when the respective have-nots are not Black.

Recent work finds that exposure to income inequality generates skepticism about economic opportunity (McCall et al. 2017) and support for redistributive policies (Franko 2016; Newman 2020; Sands and de Kadt 2020). Much of the research exploring residential (Franko 2016; Newman 2020) or experimental (Boudreux and MacKenzie 2018; McCall et al. 2017) exposure to inequality, however, does not account for race as a factor often present both in people’s minds when considering “the poor” and in geographic contexts with high levels of economic inequality.

In the United States, long-standing stigmatizing linkages between Black Americans, poverty and welfare in media discourse and the public mind (Gilens 1999) are accompanied by evidence that a notable portion of the growth in income inequality in recent decades is accounted for by between-race inequality (Hero and Levy 2016). Importantly, research establishing the centrality of racial prejudice to public opposition to welfare (Gilens 1999; Peffley et al. 1997) and racial context to Whites’ policy preferences (Glaser 1994; Taylor 1998) do not explicitly incorporate income inequality into theoretical or empirical models. In short, an important bridge can be built between the literature on income inequality and redistribution and scholarship on race and welfare by investigating the impact of exposure to inequality conditional upon the race of the poor.

We analyze Americans’ support for liberal economic policies in response to exposure to income inequality in their local residential context. We focus on local income inequality as the “treatment” because prior research demonstrates that Americans, while innumerate with respect to nationwide income inequality (Bartels 2008; Kenworthy and McCall 2008), are decidedly aware of local levels of inequality (Newman et al. 2018). Given the long-standing targeting of Black Americans in the racialization and stigmatization of poverty (Gilens 1999; Peffley et al. 1997), we concentrate on assessing Americans’ response to local inequality conditional on the prevalence of Blacks among the local “have-nots.” Previous research finds that Americans are aware of the size of Black populations in their local context (Velez and Wong 2017) and that exposure to large Black populations can lead to conservative voting patterns (Enos 2016). Our main analysis relies on the Nationscape survey (“NS”) (Tausanovitch and Vavreck 2020), which is one of the largest surveys of Americans available.

We utilize 71 waves of the NS collected from July 2019 to November 2020, yielding a large sample (N=449,080) that is benchmarked to national demographics. Recent research suggests that the racial structure of inequality not only affects welfare provision (Hero and Levy 2017) but also government spending on a variety of services (An et al. 2018). This work is complemented by research suggesting that rising inequality is associated with liberal shifts in economic policy mood (Franko 2016; Newman 2020) and support for policies that enhance opportunity (e.g., education spending) and regulate employer pay practices (Franko 2016; McCall 2013). Given this, our analysis focuses on respondents’ support for increased government spending on services, as well for policies that benefit lower-income Americans: spending on welfare, subsidized education and healthcare, and raising the minimum wage. These items serve as the dependent variables in our analysis and the inclusion of this range of items allows us to assess whether our findings are isolated to specific outcomes or emerge as a consistent pattern across different types of liberal economic policies. Each variable was coded so that higher values indicate greater support for the policy and were recoded to range from 0 to 1 (see Appendix A for question wording and coding).

The findings in this short article provide evidence that the presence of stigmatized racial minority groups among the poor may condition how public opinion responds to income inequality. Eight models are presented using two large datasets: we find positive and significant effects of Gini when the “have-nots” are not Black in all eight models, we find effects indiscernible from zero when the “have-nots” are heavily Black in all but one model, and we find negative interaction terms in all but one model. The balance of evidence suggests that the race of the poor defines a condition under which exposure to inequality is associated with support for liberal economic policies and a condition where it is not. As predicted, we find uniform evidence that exposure to inequality when the respective poor are not Black is associated with increased support for liberal policies. These findings bear on the puzzle of unabated inequality growth in the U.S. by adding evidence in support of the longstanding assertion that ethnic fragmentation can undermine class-based collective action in pursuit of redistribution (Alesina et al. 2001).

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdf/10.1086/718289

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jarmak posted:

You could argue about why it's dumb instead of deconstructing the existence of what a disagreement is. Yes, two people have different perspectives that make them disagree.

Personally I think historical precedent shows that the response so far hasn't been enough. Legal and illegal paths to power are being left open for the perpetrators and history says that fascists will try again and become more successful if you do that. They only need to be lucky once.