Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eh, I'll accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

thinking about the taco bell anime cm now. got some fun easter eggs in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csyw7jH_Cpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7VLqp74HRA

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

i'm watching the claymore anime series from 2007.

i'm surprised looking around this isn't considered a very good show. i think it's very good, except for one problem that i'm hoping doesn't appear again (anime creepiness in one episode).

it's like, watching the witcher netflix show all i think is ugh i wish this show was actually about a loving witcher doing their job - and that's basically what this show is about, 10 episodes in anyway. it's also quite similar to the berserk anime in some ways, although the story is totally different, and i like it better than that so far. the berserk anime was uplifted by its bonkers ending, but for most of it i was kind of mild. with claymore, i just keep thinking what the hell, this is pretty good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It deviates from the manga to do an anime-only ending so when everyone is expecting this glorious thing to happen

it doesn't happen and something entirely different and less impressive happens instead

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I quite liked claymore but I knew in advance to skip the last 3 episodes and read the rest

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anime worked with what it had, which was something like half the full manga's run. my memories are it was a pretty limited production aside from that, but it's 2007 and non-broadcast tv anime is a novelty so you enjoy it. it had the important Clare/Teresa/Priscilla stuff that is basically the best of what you get from the early material in either version of the series.

the post-anime stuff dragged at several points so i never finished the series until i could go back and read the whole thing at once.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/lizardmancer/status/1483343154069876740?s=20&t=3gRQA_9tgVzG3CHJM13KaQ

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i liked the claymore manga so i looked up other stuff the author did and the first thing i found was angel densetsu which i also really liked but is a totally different ride from claymore

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

gently caress's sake, my copy of this is in transit and then I hear about this. I just wanted a gender comedy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

roomtone posted:

it's like, watching the witcher netflix show all i think is ugh i wish this show was actually about a loving witcher doing their job - and that's basically what this show is about, 10 episodes in anyway. it's also quite similar to the berserk anime in some ways, although the story is totally different, and i like it better than that so far. the berserk anime was uplifted by its bonkers ending, but for most of it i was kind of mild. with claymore, i just keep thinking what the hell, this is pretty good.

the berserk anime, suffers a fair bit from only being the preliminary parts of berserk. golden age is interesting for what it contextualizes about a story that had no real context before it but as the sole experience to have with berserk it would be kind of weird and disappointing. the manga is good because it explores and builds on all of the implications of where the anime ends

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

copy posted:

i liked the claymore manga so i looked up other stuff the author did and the first thing i found was angel densetsu which i also really liked but is a totally different ride from claymore

Angel Densetsu is fantastic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Basically some uranium in the earth's crust has been pressurised significantly enough by the movement of tectonic plates that they naturally started a fission reaction. It was discovered when uranium miners started digging up isotopes that weren't supposed to exist naturally.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

the anime worked with what it had, which was something like half the full manga's run. my memories are it was a pretty limited production aside from that, but it's 2007 and non-broadcast tv anime is a novelty so you enjoy it. it had the important Clare/Teresa/Priscilla stuff that is basically the best of what you get from the early material in either version of the series.

the post-anime stuff dragged at several points so i never finished the series until i could go back and read the whole thing at once.
The thing is at the time the anime was airing most people assumed it was going to just leave on the cliffhanger in chapter 67 (which came out around it started IIRC), since that's where everything prior is more or less neatly wrapped up and the next arc was getting set up.

The actual post-anime arcs do drag in a lot of spots though I do think it ended well enough.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Basically some uranium in the earth's crust has been pressurised significantly enough by the movement of tectonic plates that they naturally started a fission reaction. It was discovered when uranium miners started digging up isotopes that weren't supposed to exist naturally.

That's not quite right. It's more that geological conditions that had sufficient concentration of uranium ore deposits, the presence of ground water that would act as a neutron moderator, and the fact that 2 billion years ago the concentration of U-235 in natural uranium (U-238) was about 3% (comparable to the amount used in many modern nuclear reactors whereas today's U-235 concentration in natural uranium is about 0.7% due to natural decay) were the conditions that allowed a fission reaction to occur in nature. There is also the theory that more natural fission reactions may have occurred during that time period besides the one in Oklo but have been geologically disturbed to the point of being unrecognizable.

Probably the more relevant question is why that tweet tries to draw a connection between cross-dressing and natural fission reactors? :iiam:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

The Colonel posted:

the berserk anime, suffers a fair bit from only being the preliminary parts of berserk. golden age is interesting for what it contextualizes about a story that had no real context before it but as the sole experience to have with berserk it would be kind of weird and disappointing. the manga is good because it explores and builds on all of the implications of where the anime ends

yeah i am aware that the entire berserk anime is basically a kind of prologue, and it definitely feels that way watching it. it's not very BERSERK at all, more of a hangout/mercenary show. you only get a short glimpse of the guts advertised, and as far as stuff like it influencing dark souls, there's almost no trace of that in the anime series that i could see. it's good for what it is but it feels like the show it basically just beginning at the moment it ends, and there have been no other good adaptations apparently.

i would read the manga but i see that it is very long, and probably won't have a satisfactory ending because the creator died recently. i might still read it one day but i'm in no rush.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

roomtone posted:

yeah i am aware that the entire berserk anime is basically a kind of prologue, and it definitely feels that way watching it. it's not very BERSERK at all, more of a hangout/mercenary show. you only get a short glimpse of the guts advertised, and as far as stuff like it influencing dark souls, there's almost no trace of that in the anime series that i could see. it's good for what it is but it feels like the show it basically just beginning at the moment it ends, and there have been no other good adaptations apparently.

i would read the manga but i see that it is very long, and probably won't have a satisfactory ending because the creator died recently. i might still read it one day but i'm in no rush.

miura's assistants and one of his close friends are continuing the manga but even if that stuff isn't good miura's work on it does end having resolved a lot of the major notes people wanted it to at least

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel the biggest mistake of the Berserk anime is the the placement of the first episode before going into a flashback. If they put the first episode at the end as this bitter epilogue I feel it could work as a denouement from the gonzo climax.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there was a second Berserk anime later on as well but from what I hear it wasn’t very good (not sure how much of the manga it covered either)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It covered the arc after Golden Age at least and no it had infamously bad CG.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Larryb posted:

Apparently there was a second Berserk anime later on as well but from what I hear it wasn’t very good (not sure how much of the manga it covered either)

From what I remember the director promised the moon, couldn't deliver, then settled for some seriously janky rear end CG

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

From what I remember the director promised the moon, couldn't deliver, then settled for some seriously janky rear end CG

He'd previously worked solely on slice-of-life light comedies and had no experience working with 3D and all its intricacies. 3D2D is a hard style to get right as it is, and it's easy to get carried away with everything you can do with 3D software and end up with something that looks loving dreadful.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edward IV posted:

That's not quite right. It's more that geological conditions that had sufficient concentration of uranium ore deposits, the presence of ground water that would act as a neutron moderator, and the fact that 2 billion years ago the concentration of U-235 in natural uranium (U-238) was about 3% (comparable to the amount used in many modern nuclear reactors whereas today's U-235 concentration in natural uranium is about 0.7% due to natural decay) were the conditions that allowed a fission reaction to occur in nature. There is also the theory that more natural fission reactions may have occurred during that time period besides the one in Oklo but have been geologically disturbed to the point of being unrecognizable.

Probably the more relevant question is why that tweet tries to draw a connection between cross-dressing and natural fission reactors? :iiam:

i don't know what the tweet has to do with anything lol. i also resent the implication that playing girls in video games says something about me. and then the replies descend immediately into incoherent Twitter madness. weird rear end tweet all around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's a meme format, but for the record I also do not understand it

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
its a jab at people who go on twitter and proceed to be very weird about total strangers by going "i can tell 100% you are trans before you can btw, and im gonna help you discover this about yourself".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's replacing the annoying part of a tweet telling people they're trans and in denial with a random unrelated fact

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its a jab at people who go on twitter and proceed to be very weird about total strangers by going "i can tell 100% you are trans before you can btw, and im gonna help you discover this about yourself".

Ah, okay, I do feel like I've seen this before, that makes sense

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I thought the tweet was funny

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Vermain posted:

He'd previously worked solely on slice-of-life light comedies and had no experience working with 3D and all its intricacies. 3D2D is a hard style to get right as it is, and it's easy to get carried away with everything you can do with 3D software and end up with something that looks loving dreadful.

Not quite true because the Director had done other things before. He’s mainly known for Teekyu yeah, but did you also know he directed Basquash for example? I didn’t even realize that.

A podcast I listen to was recently talking about Shin Itagaki because he worked on Basquash (the subject of the episode) and one thing I learned is that he was kicked off of Basquash because he apparently had a “we’re doing things the way I want to do them, other input be damned” and things the scenario writer was creating either was cut out, or full on changed to be something else. So when Itagaki was promptly canned (around halfway through the series but his name was on the credits until late) they had to spend a ton of time figuring out how to salvage the story because it didn’t resemble what the original was anymore. This approach did not translate well into 3DCG where everyone had to be on the same page. Now this is all taken from interviews someone from blogs translated on the net, so some of the info may be iffy, but if you look at his body of work as a whole. It really makes sense.

Shin Itagaki sucks as a director. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. He can’t manage projects and it’s clear his influence leads to problems. He got poo poo-canned for Basquash, Berserk ended up poo poo, Cop Craft had absolute meltdowns in episodes in regards to animation and even just framing, and from what I heard the Spider show suffered from various breakdowns as well. It’s clear Itagaki can’t direct and he’s best suited to be an assistant or something.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Not quite true because the Director had done other things before. He’s mainly known for Teekyu yeah, but did you also know he directed Basquash for example? I didn’t even realize that.

A podcast I listen to was recently talking about Shin Itagaki because he worked on Basquash (the subject of the episode) and one thing I learned is that he was kicked off of Basquash because he apparently had a “we’re doing things the way I want to do them, other input be damned” and things the scenario writer was creating either was cut out, or full on changed to be something else. So when Itagaki was promptly canned (around halfway through the series but his name was on the credits until late) they had to spend a ton of time figuring out how to salvage the story because it didn’t resemble what the original was anymore. This approach did not translate well into 3DCG where everyone had to be on the same page. Now this is all taken from interviews someone from blogs translated on the net, so some of the info may be iffy, but if you look at his body of work as a whole. It really makes sense.

Shin Itagaki sucks as a director. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. He can’t manage projects and it’s clear his influence leads to problems. He got poo poo-canned for Basquash, Berserk ended up poo poo, Cop Craft had absolute meltdowns in episodes in regards to animation and even just framing, and from what I heard the Spider show suffered from various breakdowns as well. It’s clear Itagaki can’t direct and he’s best suited to be an assistant or something.

Demon King being CG for absolute no reason.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

refuse to believe a bad director could make teekyuu or ben-to

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tales of Woe posted:

refuse to believe a bad director could make teekyuu or ben-to

I mean, he’s like the sole animator and director. So pretty hard to get into creative conflicts there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lmao

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, when I posted about Keijo!!!!!!!! a few weeks ago I was kind of joking, but I watched the rest of it this week and legitimately did really enjoy it.

I think it made me burst out laughing at least a half-dozen times, which is more than I can say for any other anime I've seen with comedy elements. I was expecting it to basically be hentai, but it was so creative! Maybe they maxed out what you can do with the concept, but I wish there were more of it. And now, a ranking of keijo techniques:

15.) Butt of Vajra
14.) Butt Gatling
13.) Boob Flash
12.) Cerberus
11.) Hip of Babylon (sharingan eyes)
10.) Vacuum Butt Cannon
9.) 1.6 Kilo Boob Napalm
8.) W-Acceleration
7.) The Queen's Bounty
6.) Vibe Ring Hip
5.) Nipple Full Shoulder Throw
4.) Quickdraw Gazongas
3.) Soft Butt
2.) Boob Soul (lets you go super saiyan)
1.) Titty Hypnosis (forbidden)

I know people here mentioned Harakuna Receive, Saki, and Scorching Ping Pong Girls as similar-but-better shows, but I'm not seeing dubbed versions of the latter two available online.

Also, starting to think they're never going to dub seasons two and three of Magia Record. :smith:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i had a weird older dude tell me that being depressed means your closeted or trans when I was like 13 lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man, Basquash was a cool concept done dirty. Hope that reboot they've been teasing for over a decade comes out soon lol.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Harukana Receive really isn’t like Keijo. The only thing that’s similar is they play the sport in swimsuits. Harukana Receive is about beach volleyball and plays it fairly straight and focuses seriously on the sport. There’s no secret super moves or anything. There’s fanservice due to the nature of the sport and you’ll get some jokes to accompany it, but it manages to actually be fairly tasteful about everything. It’s worth a watch if you like sports shows because it’s really good, but if you’re looking for someone to break out some sort of secret spike move where the ball flies a million miles an hour it’s not there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dub voice actor Billy Kametz has lost his battle with cancer

https://obits.pennlive.com/us/obituaries/pennlive/name/billy-kametz-obituary?id=35161536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man that really sucks