Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CODChimera posted:

https://gamefound.com/projects/archon-studio/encounters

this just launched on gamefound, terrain sets and some miniatures. looks kinda interesting? and seems like they've done a few projects in the past
Dungeons & Lasers is some incredibly cheap and easy terrain, though you do have to put in the elbow grease of clipping everything out/sanding the edges (and painting unless you're okay with the gray plastic).
So far they've been very reliable and the stretch goal boxes are a tremendous value of minis/scatter terrain on sprues.
Sometimes it's worth it just to buy an extra set of stretch goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Aaaaaaagh. I've barely unboxed, much less played, the last expansion.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bottom Liner posted:

Kickstarter is pissing themselves right now between Gamefound and now this. Tabletop was by far the biggest category and growth market for them over the last ~7 years.

They could have gotten into logistics and shipping fulfillment stuff at any point to stop this, it's not like it was a shock that Backerkit would eventually grow to this. Shame they've been sorta specific in how they plan to spend on growth over the next few years.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Aaaaaaagh. I've barely unboxed, much less played, the last expansion.

Well, you have until October before the crowdfunding, and probably a year or more after that until it actually arrives. should be plenty of time to get a play in. Maybe even two, if we're being unrealistically ambitious... ;)

(This is totally how I feel about Aeon's End's latest project, though. Except I haven't opened or played the last three campaigns worth and they're already doing another one. And I've actually gotten several plays with Jagged Earth in...but only through TTS. My physical copy hasn't been touched in a few years. Too busy with other stuff. So I get you.)

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 14, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

gschmidl posted:

It's loving amazing, all Kickstarter had to do was not use the word "blockchain", and they couldn't do it.

Bottom Liner posted:

Kickstarter is pissing themselves right now between Gamefound and now this. Tabletop was by far the biggest category and growth market for them over the last ~7 years.

gently caress yes. Drown in piss, Kickstarter. I hope the monkey jpgs were worth it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

They could have gotten into logistics and shipping fulfillment stuff at any point to stop this, it's not like it was a shock that Backerkit would eventually grow to this. Shame they've been sorta specific in how they plan to spend on growth over the next few years.
It's consistently surprised me, seeing the popularity and success of Backerkit and the like, that Kickstarter never bothered with this.

They had their own (by all accounts) poor tools, sufficient for smaller/simpler campaigns but woefully bad for anything complex. And with the rise of "pledge manager access" tiers, KS was losing money they could have kept.

So... They just watched Backerkit run away with (basically) a parasitic business that creators and backers both loved and grew to trust.

KS was in a position to develop an in-house fulfillment platform, and to undercut the price of the others. And they... Just... didn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

It's consistently surprised me, seeing the popularity and success of Backerkit and the like, that Kickstarter never bothered with this.

They had their own (by all accounts) poor tools, sufficient for smaller/simpler campaigns but woefully bad for anything complex. And with the rise of "pledge manager access" tiers, KS was losing money they could have kept.

So... They just watched Backerkit run away with (basically) a parasitic business that creators and backers both loved and grew to trust.

KS was in a position to develop an in-house fulfillment platform, and to undercut the price of the others. And they... Just... didn't.

Feels sort of like Blockbuster who could have also been Netflix but decided 'nah fam.'

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dwarf74 posted:

That all costs money they could keep instead, so why bother, there's no alterna... oh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Their blockchain plan was literally "our future competitors will use our blockchain."

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

It took them like a decade to finally implement addons. They've never actually provided any mechanical support for stretch goals despite them featuring in 90+% of all projects on their platform. As you say, they never made a move to do pledge management. I know enough people in dev to know that what users see isn't anywhere near all the work that's happening on the back-end, and I'm sure they've done some stuff on the project creator end that I've never seen, but as a backer, 2022 Kickstarter is so close to 2012 Kickstarter in terms of the actual website functionality despite ten years of development in the actual culture and usage of that site that it genuinely baffles me what they have been doing all this time. (I know that KS was around before 2012, that's just when I started using it so I can't comment on what it was like before that.)

Gamefound is still pretty janky in a bunch of ways but it's already head and shoulders past KS in a bunch of respects and they've had a tiny fraction of the time. And I guess we'll see what Backerkit's been up to!

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Backerkit is probably Kickstarter's most plausible competitor given that they're a known quantity to backers and creators.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

One big thing I don't like about Gamefound (and possibly others) is that it doesn't have an app or an easy way to check how much time is left on a campaign.
Sometimes on KS I might grab a pledge for the early bird 48h bonus or whatever and sit on it until the last few days. Same with $1 pledge options because I'll decide later in the pledge manager.
It's a bit more dangerous with Gamefound because I have to keep on top of it or risk getting charged. To my knowledge, Gamefound doesn't have a page that just shows which projects you're pledged to that are ongoing, it's just smushed together in a big list of all your Gamefound campaigns without showing the end dates.

The KS app is great because you just go to your profile tab and drag down to refresh.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 15, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
When running my first kickstarter, my impression was pretty much consistently: "why the hell do I need to do task X through Backerkit? Kickstarter should have included this. Thank god Backerkit exists".

Using Kickstarter was pretty much a blanket marketing budget post for me, Backerkit made the actual campaign work practically.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

It's funny if you read The Hellbound Heart itself that the Cenobites when they show up are absolutely so just going through the motions that one might imagine Pinhead playing Angry Birds on his phone going "Uh huh, never-ending pleasure indistinguishable from pain. You sure? Okay, let's roll."

Also, Pinhead is supposed to have a voice like an excited girl. I demand a redubbing of all the movies!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Not to distract from Kickstarter's well deserved obliteration, but Roxley's latest game is looking pretty sweet

I'm up in the air on whether to back the deluxe edition or wait for the basic version to get cheaper at retail. I do like a Ra-style auction, but attached to a spatial aspect. Has anyone got any experience with Metropolys, which this is apparently based on?

And for something completely different, I'm definitely putting down a dollar for the pdf of this hybrid board game, story LARP, murder mystery party...thing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I bounce pretty hard off steampunk in general, but I'm floored by the masterstroke of subversive design I see in Skyrise.

Frustrated by the limitations and suffocating lack of vision and progress on land, these luminaries take to the skies... where they do all the same things, face all the same challenges and problems, and seek exactly the same kinds of tribal, faction-dominated prestige they sought to leave behind! :discourse:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I definitely liked Brass before Roxley made it cool, but my limited Roxley experience (just Brass, Dice Throne, and Radlands) is that they prefer to make gorgeous, shallow games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Santorini and Steampunk Rally are both solid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Alice over at Rage Badger made a "gently caress Kickstarter" video.

She usually does Gloomhaven stuff, so this is focused on Cephalofair, but not entirely.

https://youtu.be/RJhS7BKxbbc

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

:siren: SEPTIMA is up :siren: from best board game publisher mindclash (Anachrony, Trickerion, Perserverence)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindclash/septima

stir cauldrons and turn into a cat and sneak around the inquisition and other witchy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4FCfyHxEw

go go go goons

Bringing this over from the other gaming thread. The art overall looks great, and certain folks in my family are very onboard with the witchy aesthetic.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I hope this fits here... My partner is putting out a puzzle experience, similar to some of the escape-room-in-a-box products like Exit or Unlock (though this is pretty different from both). This is her company's very first Kickstarter and she's very nervous about it, so if it's your jam she'd certainly appreciate a follow! If you like puzzles (both jigsaw-flavor and deductive-flavor), mysteries, or dogs, it has a lot of all of those. In fact, it has my dog! Here he is playing poker:

The campaign starts at 10AM tomorrow morning, US Central time. Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trappedpuzzlerooms/ruff-bluff-a-furlock-holmes-mystery

I hope this is TG-adjacent enough to fit here!

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 21, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cyberpunk CMON board game is $110 and $50 for shipping, and that's the cheapest option.

😂:jerkbag:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Cyberpunk CMON board game is $110 and $50 for shipping, and that's the cheapest option.

😂:jerkbag:

Oof.

And it's CMON, how good could the finished game be?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oof.

And it's CMON, how good could the finished game be?

About 10% of their output is really really good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bottom Liner posted:

About 10% of their output is really really good.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting Ankh one of these days.

Cyberpunk I'll wait for reviews.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Weird how there are all those extra edgerunner figures (side characters from the game) in the retail version, but if you actually want to have the main character of the game (male/female V), it's kickstarter exclusive.
Lol, what?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I almost wonder if they made a deal that requires them to make the game back when the property was super hot, saw what happened to the general enthusiasm for it when the videogame released, and decided to just fart something out and take the L.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Moon Monster posted:

I almost wonder if they made a deal that requires them to make the game back when the property was super hot, saw what happened to the general enthusiasm for it when the videogame released, and decided to just fart something out and take the L.
They also had originally planned for something called Cyberpunk 2077: Afterlife - The Card Game, which would have been an easier sell, probably some smaller casual release.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/286073/cyberpunk-2077-afterlife-card-game

Now it's ballooned into the typical mini-heavy dudes on a board release that isn't going well at all after the two scandals (CMON's Marvel Zombies shipping price fiasco and Cyberpunk's "GoT Season 8-style" clout-erasure).

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Don't know if anyone else saw but Bot Factory just put up a bunch of pledge options that gets you Either Lisboa, Kanban EV, or On Mars as well as Bot Factory and a copy of Mercado de Lisboa for 150 US.
I think this is a pretty desperate move to bump up figures cause the reception to Bot Factory has been a bit poo poo tbh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lol they hired ant lab games (who rebranded after leaving board games for being shitlords and pal'ing around with chuds)

gently caress em'

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

lol they hired ant lab games (who rebranded after leaving board games for being shitlords and pal'ing around with chuds)

gently caress em'

Huh. Is that what happened to Ant Lab? I saw their channel shut down and saw some vague claims abiut them being bullied by other content producers but didn't really follow it. Any history of that nonsense out there? Didn't know anything about their shitlording/chuding it up. They seem pretty generic, flavorwise, in terms of their own content.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

short story best as I recall is that a lot of women came forward about being harassed at conventions circa '18 or '19, Ant Lab made a video about it and they said that women should just not dress provocatively, etc. They obviously received a lot of blowback for that and cried bullying and victimized while tripling down on it all. That came to a head when they announced they were leaving the board game media sphere and went on a bunch of chud outrage youtuber channels for interviews about woke cancel culture bs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Base Emitter posted:

Backerkit is probably Kickstarter's most plausible competitor given that they're a known quantity to backers and creators.

MyMiniFactory was doing digital fulfillment for a lot of 3d printing projects. Now they're doing both crowdfunding and monthly subscriptions on their site. I've got enough STLs in MMF that I'm invested in their success, so I
m happy to see them doing well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cyberpunk 2077 is doing pretty poorly

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is doing pretty poorly

it's only at 300%

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's only at 300%

which is pretty lackluster for a cmon campaign no?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep. You'd have to go back to 2016 to hit another campaign of theirs that ended in the 5-6k backer range (assuming this one ends around there). This is a big dud for them at this point. Probably not enough to hurt them given some of their recent huge campaigns.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I still can't believe the shipping costs being estimated. Well, on one hand I *can* but as a consumer, yikes.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

im sure blacklist is going to send me those miniatures any day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

jarofpiss posted:

im sure blacklist is going to send me those miniatures any day now

I still don't get it, are they in a warehouse or not? Didn't they raise a bunch of funds for a second release?

I also would like my box