Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Renaissance Robot posted:

with new oil drilling sites spinning up all the time, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to just go get this oil that's already been pumped out and is just sitting there in a boat but what do I know :shrug:

I'd bet anything touching it grants you legal liability for cleaning up if anything happens in a way that drilling and pumping fresh do not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

glaciers never form on land

it's loving inconceivable

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

new bangerrrrrr

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7108501329462660398

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol nice

rip to this guy. this is your reward for direct action: https://www.cheknews.ca/protester-who-fell-off-ladder-during-blockade-in-hospital-with-life-altering-injury-1049733/

surprised someone didn't run over him after he hit the ground tbh

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

im so sad lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Children Behave
That's what they say when we're together
and watch how you play
they don't understand and so we're
running just as fast as we can
holding onto one another's hand
trying to get away into the night
and then you put your arms around me
and we tumble to the ground and then you say

I think we're alone now
There doesn't seem to be anyone around
I think we're alone now
the beating of our hearts is the only sound

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
There's an indisputable amount of cringe in the water.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i want a sequel so loving bad

Good news :

Ur ine one, but only as an extra.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Don't worry Hubbert I'm sure it'll reach... a peak

I'm still not ready for a post-peak world.

:negative:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Minera posted:

Biosphere Collapse: I'm a cringe half fail kind of guy

none cringe left fail

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Car Hater posted:

I'd bet anything touching it grants you legal liability for cleaning up if anything happens in a way that drilling and pumping fresh do not

If it's in international water then there are basically no rules.

Also just do the salvage op under some bullshit country's flag, paint on the side of your boat a ToS that says you're not liable for anything you do ever, and refers all cases to arbitration. Congrats, you are accountable to no one and nothing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

skooma512 posted:

If it's in international water then there are basically no rules.

Also just do the salvage op under some bullshit country's flag, paint on the side of your boat a ToS that says you're not liable for anything you do ever, and refers all cases to arbitration. Congrats, you are accountable to no one and nothing

goon fleet tanker project is go

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
:10bux: a barrel if your regdate predates 2022

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Major water cutbacks loom as shrinking Colorado River nears ‘moment of reckoning’

quote:

Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton said during a Senate hearing in Washington that federal officials now believe protecting “critical levels” at the country’s largest reservoirs — Lake Mead and Lake Powell — will require much larger reductions in water deliveries.
“What has been a slow-motion train wreck for 20 years is accelerating, and the moment of reckoning is near,” said John Entsminger, general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority, which supplies the Las Vegas area.
Avoiding “potentially catastrophic conditions,” Entsminger said, will require reductions that many water managers previously considered unattainable.
“We can’t balance the structural deficit by evacuating cities. So we’re going to need to make our ability to grow the same amount of food with less water a priority,” Entsminger said. “Every user in every sector needs to be planning for how they’re going to take care of their share of the pain.”

some feel-good hump day news, friends. the unattainable will soon be unknown.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wow apparently this thread is already at +1C (cringe)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
How is Rime perma'd but not Arf?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Intergovernmental Panel on Creating Cringe

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Wakko posted:

Major water cutbacks loom as shrinking Colorado River nears ‘moment of reckoning’

quote:

We can’t balance the structural deficit by evacuating cities.
some feel-good hump day news, friends. the unattainable will soon be unknown.

so Touton is just throwing city-wide evacuations out there, unprompted?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Oglethorpe posted:

so Touton is just throwing city-wide evacuations out there, unprompted?

No it said they can't evacuate cities, farmers need to deal with less water instead

quote:

“We can’t balance the structural deficit by evacuating cities. So we’re going to need to make our ability to grow the same amount of food with less water a priority,” Entsminger said. “Every user in every sector needs to be planning for how they’re going to take care of their share of the pain.”

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ELTON JOHN posted:

im so sad lmao

look on the bright side

three years from now we’ll be looking back on 2022 fondly :beerpal:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Tomorrow will be the best day of the rest of your life and the subsequent day will be the best day of the rest of your life and the subsequent day.. and so on. Now this is letting the good times roll

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

he ain't perma'd, just ate a lovely ban and didn't have his reversed like arf did

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
take individual responsibility for your pain

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

No it said they can't evacuate cities, farmers need to deal with less water instead

i got that part, it just sounds like it was brought up internally as a potential solution and shot down lol. it's the only sentence in the article that brings up evacuations

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

he ain't perma'd, just ate a lovely ban and didn't have his reversed like arf did

Rime took it like a champ instead of having an alt go and petition for him in QCS

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
"the first world will be fine" i assure myself, as i close my eyes and ram all the aquifers in north america with my lovely drills until they run dry

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

weird that politicians cared about climate change until COP 16 and then suddenly got a lot less interested

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

His 30 days ended last week, he could be posting now if he wanted

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cold on a Cob posted:

"the first world will be fine" i assure myself, as i close my eyes and ram all the aquifers in north america with my lovely drills until they run dry

:heysexy:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

weird that politicians cared about climate change until COP 16 and then suddenly got a lot less interested

The Epstein thread taught me that most global politicians and rich people seem to lose interest in things older than 16.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Jesus christ, is this really going to be 25 loving pages of arf belching gibberish like a loving furnace stack?
Is this the future of this thread?

The one loving space for rational discussion, and there's a smelly dude in a greasy raincoat jerking it in the metaphysical corner.

gently caress my life

you can thank azanoth lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Car Hater posted:

*shrug* my posting didn't save the world, others are welcome to try

yep

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

yeah this is the normal corner where we jerk off in non greasy raincoats to a fantasized mass climate included human death not the corner where people make fun of us for doing that

This man gets it!

Amen, brother.

Homeless Friend posted:

you can thank azanoth lol

With every fiber of my being, thank you Azanwhatta

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

WaryWarren posted:

One's a leftist and one shits on them(well, tries to), easy enough to explain

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

yeah this is the normal corner where we jerk off in non greasy raincoats to a fantasized mass climate included human death not the corner where people make fun of us for doing that

very normal post

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ArfJason posted:

There's an indisputable amount of cringe in the water.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
^assumed this was all some web 1.0 guys trying to relive the glory days or w/e

Cold on a Cob posted:

first world probably gonna have a melt down well before then when migrations start in earnest https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/13/young-africans-want-to-move-abroad-survey-suggests

and note buried in the article

quote:

“In many countries in Africa, it’s an election year or a year just before elections, and it’s kind of logical that people will see instability as a concern,” said Ichikowitz.

But marry that with lack of access to water, marry that with a major concern around terrorism, and you’ve now got a demographic a group of people that are very jittery about the future of the continent,” he said.

“And the real bombshell out of the survey is that a very high percentage of the people in the response group are thinking about migration.”

About 60% of Africa’s population is younger than 25, and more than a third is aged between 15–34 years old. By 2100, Africa will have the world’s youngest population with a median age of 35.

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
A new "largest methane leak ever" just dropped.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/15/methane-leak-at-russian-mine-could-be-largest-ever-discovered

quote:

About 90 tonnes an hour of methane were being released from the mine in January, when the gas was first traced to its source, according to data from GHGSat, a commercial satellite monitoring company based in Canada. Sustained over the course of a year, this would produce enough natural gas to power 2.4m homes.

More recently, the mine appears to be leaking at a lower rate, of about a third of the highest rate recorded in January, but the leak is thought to have been active for at least six months before January’s survey.

The leak, which comes from the Raspadskaya mine in Kemerovo Oblast, the largest coalmine in Russia, is about 50% bigger than any other leak seen by GHGSat since it started its global satellite monitoring in 2016. The company believes it is bigger than any leak yet traced to a single source.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Biosphere Collapse: What has been a slow-motion train wreck for 20 years is accelerating, and the moment of reckoning is near

probably too long but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been thinking about the QCS meltdowns and I think it's a complete misreading of this thread. I read this thread, I believe things are rapidly destabilizing are are going to get worse in unpredictable but catastrophic and accelerating ways. I think I have swallowed the black pill, and what is the actual impact on my life?

when I let myself spiral in anxiety this is yet another focal point for it. Big deal! It's 2022 if you're not full of things you can potentially anxiety spiral about, you're not paying attention (same as it's ever been, with a faster rate of change). So the key is learning how to manage anxiety properly which is a good thing

other than that? I accept all this and, far from seeing it as a reason to end myself or embrace violent views, it makes me more focused on the moment and making sure I am paying attention and enjoying what I can and also makes me way less likely to waste time thinking about TOTAL BULLSHIT that won't matter in 5-10 years. A great example of that is my work habits: I do my best to do a good job, because I find it rewarding to try to be competent and also need the money for as long as the game is going on. But I have become completely unwilling to waste time off the clock thinking about work. I am unwilling to be stressed by a lot of things that people freak out about in culture, because, again, it doesn't loving matter to me, the culture warriors can try to shape the state of the current chair arrangement on the titanic deck, but I fail to believe that arguments about Critical Race Theory will matter in 2035 so I am not willing to spend time worrying about them now (outside of the immediacy of stuff happening in my own district that directly impacts me).

Sure, it's depressing to think about my quality of life now vs what I see in 30 (:rubby:) years, but, being 70 was always going to suck in some ways. Sure, I fear for the future my kids will have, but that's just reason to do everything I can to set them up with the best emotional and financial and material toolset I can and also spend lots of time with them now and hug them a lot and make sure they have a fun childhood. I think childhood CAN be "fun" if you're living a basically spoiled western lifestyle. This is a new invention! Childhood was not really loving fun for anyone 150 years ago!

So yea, things are bad, and getting worse, and no one can say how fast and certainly things could move from "getting worse" to "catastrophically bad for the entire globe RIGHT NOW" in the blink of an eye. I get it. And, to me -- that's all the more reason to just embrace the moment, find love and light and laughter in what you can, and then just accept the thermodynamic realities as the trajectory we are on and a thing we'll continue to bear witness to as it increasingly impacts our own lives.

tl;dr anyone who finds an excuse to off themselves in this thread of all places, was probably either looking for that thing, or was so completely out of tune with objective reality that it's a mindbreak moment for them. Well, okay, that happens. I don't think we're going to silence 1/6/21 discussions on the grounds that it might be a mindbreak for some regressive who marched on the Capitol.