Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Runcible Cat posted:

Not to mention the equally vague "moved". Moved where? Down the street? Across the country? Across the world? If he unilaterally took off with the kids it's no wonder the mother's family are pissed off and vengeful. Sounds like he's made a whole string of bad decisions (and is dead set on making more if the family are trying to make OP play Mata Hari).
Good catch. If he moved decently far and the kids are young enough then 100% custody starts making a lot more sense even without vengeance on the line. Also to go full fan fiction he may have made this argument himself assuming that obviously they'd go with the two parent home over "the crazy person" and now her family is turning it against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for sleeping and missing plans with my sister then getting mad at her

quote:

So I (f18) am a cna (certified nursing assistant) it’s a hard job to say the least. I work 8–12 hour shifts with normally only 1 day off during the week.

Yesterday was my day off and my sister (f22) wanted to hang out. My sister has a rich fiancé who basically pays for everything while she does whatever.

So I was all ready to hang out but my sister needed to run a few things to her fiancé at his work. Fine by me I was just going to watch some tv while I waited for her to be done.

I ended up falling asleep and slept through my sister texting and calling because my phone was on silent from work and I just didn’t turn it on. Well she came banging on my door I of course woke up. She got mad and said how I barely had to wait for her yet I still fell asleep. I said well I’m tired from having to work we don’t all have a rich fiancé who can pay for everything. She called me a AH and a heartless bitch and slammed my door shut. I got a called from my mom also getting mad at me saying my sister just wanted to spend time with me. Even when I tried to explain how I work all the time and I think I have a right to be tired. It’s like nobody cares. So AITA?

Verdict from Reddit is: YTA :psyduck:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

"coworkertegie"?

From context it's somehow supposed to be 'Coworker Trevor' looks like both of his hands were one key to the left.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not dogsitting for my brother?

wow, i need to try this sometime. "hey thanks for housesitting for me. btw the hot water heater's shot so you'll have to replace it. anyway see you in a couple weeks"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hughlander posted:

From context it's somehow supposed to be 'Coworker Trevor' looks like both of his hands were one key to the left.

Look , he had the time to space out every comma , he could have spelled that correctly , I vote YTA

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The only way that could make any sense at all is if by "his" truck, it is actually the company truck assigned to him and therefore he considered it "his". Some guys do take it that far but I think in this case the Supervisor is just tapped in the head and is confused over who owns the vehicle.

yeah, ive never heard of something this insane before so im thinking the sup is wrong about the trucks ownership, because like you said some people get real possessive over things they do not actually own in these situations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The only way that could make any sense at all is if by "his" truck, it is actually the company truck assigned to him and therefore he considered it "his". Some guys do take it that far but I think in this case the Supervisor is just tapped in the head and is confused over who owns the vehicle.

Yep, he doubles down in comments...

quote:

Most of us would drive to the shop in our own vehicles , from there , some would go in crew trucks , or drive equipment out (vac trucks , water trucks ect) I chose to drive my personal truck , so I would have more freedom after shift , if I wanted to go see a movie , or go out to eat

quote:

My boss is saying we had a verbal contract for me to take my truck. Which we didn’t. I was choosing to take. I was going to take it to the hotel , and then we all take a crew bus out to site. I take my own to the hotel so after shift I can go out for dinner , or see a movie ect and not have to cab it everywhere or be stuck in a hotel all night

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Kuros posted:

AITA for sleeping and missing plans with my sister then getting mad at her

Verdict from Reddit is: YTA :psyduck:

Kind of, yeah? All the stuff about being a CNA and the rich fiance really aren't relevant. She made plans, seemed to blow it off, her sister was irritated so the OP immediately went for a personal attack. She should have checked her phone and made sure it was on, then she could have napped while waiting. Sister is an rear end in a top hat for running her errands first, but at least she let the OP know. Both are assholes, but OP is a bigger one.

Unless I'm missing something big...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hughlander posted:

Yep, he doubles down in comments...

yeah i get that what im thinking is the sup is confused because trevor came to him and said "OP wont let me drive to the job and you know i hate riding shotgun" and the sup is just assuming they are discussing a crew truck thinks the OP is being possessive of it. otherwise this is the literal stupidest poo poo i have ever heard coming out of a work related issue. im ready to have my confidence in humanity drop even lower though so wheee.

nevermind from the comments holy poo poo lmaoooo

quote:

My boss is saying we had a verbal contract for me to take my truck. Which we didn’t. I was choosing to take. I was going to take it to the hotel , and then we all take a crew bus out to site. I take my own to the hotel so after shift I can go out for dinner , or see a movie ect and not have to cab it everywhere or be stuck in a hotel all night

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DaysBefore posted:

He was Mexican, she was racist

Could I make it any more obvious

lmao

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
in today's episode of "soon to be estranged parents":

AITA for refusing to pay my daughter's tuition after she lied about her major?

quote:

I'll keep this short. My daughter, who is 19, told me she was going to college to major in computer science. I was ecstatic about this because she's been set on majoring in illustration. For years I've been trying to talk her out of it. I know she loves illustration but it is extremely hard to get a steady job out of that. I wanted her to do something she could be successful in. I want her to have a wider range of opportunities.

As it turns out, she lied to me. She's majoring in illustration. She got some mail about some art exhibition at her school. I thought nothing of it at first because I knew she was a computer science major. After looking into it a bit more, I found out her work was chosen to be displayed in the exhibition.

I was furious. I've spent tens of thousands of hard earned money for computer science. That's what we agreed on. I told her she can do what she wants but I will not support her. She can pay for it herself or get her mother to pay. Or she could begin to pay me back for the money she stole from me, interest free.

My wife said I'm being unreasonable, that's she's only 19 and asking her to pay for her own tuition is asking too much of her. I didn't think it was as I agreed to pay for her to study computer science, nothing else. I was also giving her a chance to make what she did right. I was deceived and my money was going towards something I had no say in.

Now my wife and daughter are upset with me. I'm starting to reflect and think maybe I could've been nicer about the situation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

OP posted:

To call me butt hurt is gravely diminishing the actual situation.

Lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

my spidey senses tell me this is a made up rich person problem and neither the tuition money or the daughter's future career are real problems for them

if this isn't the thread title within 2 hours I swear to god

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Is this in the comments?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm sure that's too long but man, what a title it would be

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this in the comments?

Yeah it is

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this in the comments?

yep

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you all

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

my spidey senses tell me this is a made up rich person problem and neither the tuition money or the daughter's future career are real problems for them

if this isn't the thread title within 2 hours I swear to god

Was less than 10 minutes...

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

haveblue posted:

It sounds very much like he broke her heart and mind with an affair and then moved out and took the kids with him once she was fully destabilized. gently caress this guy and I hope the powerful connected family destroys him

This.

Also I totally understand her having a mental breakdown over a traumatic life event like her main supportive relationship and family breaking down immediately and aggressively. The guy cheated on her, left her, then took the kids. He tried to just pull up stakes and start over with a new woman replacing his wife while she would be left behind. Imagine just losing your whole family and suddenly being alone. That's loving trauma.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cythereal posted:

Was talking on discord with some goons about classic stories from these threads, and I don't know if this thread had this classic yet.

My fiance (28 f) just told me she thinks i'm (27 M) possessed by her dead fiance and destined to reincarnate him through our child. I'm thinking of walking right now. I'm lost and need advice.

Yes, reincucknation is one of our favorite stories, I believe from the first thread.

AITA for asking my bf to stop being nice to his tattoo artist

quote:

I (23f) and my boyfriend (25m) went to a different city to get tattoos from this girl. His tattoo was very complex (full chest and part of his back) so it took a few sessions and the tattoo artist really enjoyed the project, she was flirting with us (being vocal about being sexually active and liking girls as well) the whole time. At first I didn't mind because we both liked her as well and discussed loving her between us (as we have done with other ppl before) even though it was obvious she only wanted to gently caress him and didn't mind me because I'm hot; but then during our last session she was really weird towards me. When she was done with my boyfriend he went to sleep on the couch and it was my turn. She made comments about how tired she was of lame tattoos and how she wished she only had to make stuff like my boyfriend's, it was really awkward and I didn't want anything to do with her after that.

The thing is my bf invited her to a party we were hosting and again, she was flirting with him, and he was being extra nice which bothered me because it was clear he also liked her and everyone could tell. I tried many times to be nice to her and was always civil, but it was just awkward.

After the party I talked to my bf about it and he said I was overreacting and that he was treating everyone the same, after discussing it he admitted this was not true and said he was just being extra nice because she didn't know anyone else (not true since she knew at least 8 ppl wich I pointed out) and because shes his tattoo artist and he's grateful to her and trying to show appreciation for her work. I told him it just felt like he was trying to keep the option of loving her open and that it was embarrassing the way he flirted with her in front of everyone, so I asked that we stop loving other ppl altogether; I said this a little aggressively and apologized immediately for my tone, which he tried to turn against me even though he had been using a similar tone for a while during this conversation and admitted after I pointed it out as well. He agreed to what I asked but said there was nothing wrong with the way he was treating her and he was going to keep doing it since I was being indifferent to her (I was not but I have really bad social skills in contrast to him). I want to know if I'm being an rear end in a top hat by asking him to tone it down or if it's a reasonable request.

Edit: Just to clarify since I see a lot of comments talking about how we gently caress other ppl, we only gently caress other people together not separately.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yes, reincucknation is one of our favorite stories, I believe from the first thread.

"When I say we get to gently caress other people I mean I get to gently caress other people while he's there, that's what I mean."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Look, kid, you ruined my dance "career" at 16 by having the temerity to be born, so you could at least have the decency to be a do-over of my own crushed dreams instead of a real human being!

At least we know mom is good at Horizontal Mambo

Sounds like terminal boomer brain

quote:

I don't want her to be miserable but a big part of life is doing something that doesn't particularly make you happy in order to succeed. Stability outweighs happiness sometimes and there's no other way about it. I've done it, my wife's done it, my daughter wouldn't be the first.

"I hated my life & career so it's only fair she does the same! Why should SHE get to pursue something she loves while I resentfully stew over my past???"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

That lady does know that she'd be a dried up, forgotten relic, right? Dance careers last til you're like 30, then you're not young/hot enough and your body is hosed in weird ways.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 23, 2022

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

haveblue posted:

It sounds very much like he broke her heart and mind with an affair and then moved out and took the kids with him once she was fully destabilized. gently caress this guy and I hope the powerful connected family destroys him

I suspect "powerful and connected" just means "hired a good lawyer".

I'm not getting an impartial narrator vibe from the guy using passive tense and vague references to mental health issues to power wash his brother's reputation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for not getting my SIL a baby shower gift after she wouldn’t take my handmade one?

quote:

Due to financial challenges I am currently broke right now. This coincided with my sister in law’s baby shower. It’s the first baby born to any of my siblings so it’s a big to do. I had money set aside but had to use it to cover some unexpected expenses that came up with my car. By the time I got things sorted and got around to the registry, the smaller items were gone and all that was left were the big ticket ones of 100+ dollars which honestly I can’t afford. But I can knit pretty well and have a yarn stash so in downtime between work, and general life I knitted up a baby blanket for my new niece. I did pick up some smaller items too, pacifiers, some of those little texture books and whatnot.

I was working a double the night of the shower so I didn’t get to go so the weekend after I swung by my brother’s place and gave the blanket and small items to them. My sister in law was peeved and gave me back the blanket for being the ‘wrong color’. It was a deep navy blue yarn and I guess it’s a boys color, whatever. I was annoyed but one of my friend’s had a baby recently so I decided I’d give it to her. I left the smaller items and went home a little miffed but whatever. Few days pass and my brother calls and says my sister in law is asking what I’m planning to get them so they can start planning the nursery layout. I was just sorta like wtf and pointed out that I had already given them my gift and his wife gave it back. Won’t get into the whole convo but basically they said I went off the registry so they’re still expecting something from me since I’m the uncle. Most of the small big ticket items are now gone so I really honestly can’t afford anything left on the registry. I asked about the smaller items I gave them and my brother said his wife said those didn’t count, they asked for gifts off the registry, or I could make a blanket with the right colors. Told my brother that hell no I wasn’t making another blanket, between work it took me almost a month to make that blanket and I used up 90% of my infrequent downtime to make it. Mom says they’re right, I’m not supposed to give them something off the registry and as immediate family I should buy them something they asked for, dad’s stance is ‘why are you as a grown rear end man knitting’ and sister in law is giving me the cold shoulder, brother is idek at this point. Says he’s sorry but asking me to give in just to make it go away. I don’t have any clue how any of this baby shower stuff works so AITA?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Lol this guy is dumb and the tattoo artist sounds like she kinda sucks too. Years ago I had an artist I went to for all my tattoos and really appreciated and my way of showing "appreciation for his work" was to always tip in cash and grab him an energy drink from the convenience store before I left. His way of being nice to me was during a long session one time letting me watch a rip of Rampage he'd found somewhere when it was still in theaters.

That guy was cool, I hope he's doing alright.

e: Also dad in the knitting story sucks; it's adorable when guys knit. Knitting is cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it seems like a bad idea to accept a commission to do a custom art project for someone and spend the whole time talking about how it sucks and is boring to do

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm late to the Everest chat, but whenever someone brings up Reddit and Everest, I remember this:
https://old.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/4idnt5/what_happened_to_the_redditor_who_promised_to/
https://old.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3gav3y/i_just_paid_a_15000_nonrefundable_deposit_to/

OP blanked the original post, but this remains in a comment:

quote:

Final edit: It looks like the consensus here is that I'm going to die. As someone pointed out earlier, Everest has been successfully climbed by a 79 year old woman, a 14 year old girl, and a guy with no legs, just to name a few. But clearly, a guy who is just a bit out of shape but still moderately athletic is definitely going to die, and take the lives of many Sherpas in the process.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

ScienceSeagull posted:

I'm late to the Everest chat, but whenever someone brings up Reddit and Everest, I remember this:
https://old.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/4idnt5/what_happened_to_the_redditor_who_promised_to/
https://old.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3gav3y/i_just_paid_a_15000_nonrefundable_deposit_to/

OP blanked the original post, but this remains in a comment:

He could always photoshop himself standing on a mountain when in reality he’s in a grocery store parking lot before he dies on Everest.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

After looking into it a bit more, I found out her work was chosen to be displayed in the exhibition.

I was furious.

"My daughter is succeeding at something she loves, and let me tell you, Reddit, I am livid"

loving Christ, how big of an rear end in a top hat can you be?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"My daughter is succeeding at something she loves, and let me tell you, Reddit, I am livid"

loving Christ, how big of an rear end in a top hat can you be?

If reading this thread has taught me anything, the answer is, substantially bigger than that. Still a pretty rotten guy though

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Foo Diddley posted:

From the comments:

quote:

I wanted to major in animation but father talked me out of it as if that didn't work out, I'd have nothing to fall back on. He put me on the path of architecture. This got me more jobs than being an amateur animator could've.

So it's an "I was sad I had to give up doing what I loved and I want my daughter to suffer the same way" thing, but also how is architecture a more stable and reliable path than illustration?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lottery of Babylon posted:

So it's an "I was sad I had to give up doing what I loved and I want my daughter to suffer the same way" thing, but also how is architecture a more stable and reliable path than illustration?

it must be, because if it wasn't, then dad was just being pointlessly cruel and controlling when he forced OP to give up his dreams

and if dad was being pointlessly cruel and controlling, then OP...

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I don't get why he's so butt hurt about her doing animation anyway, she probably could have finagled a computer-adjacent job out of that if she couldn't get a foothold in that specific industry. We have people at the agency I work at who primarily do animation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

how is architecture a more stable and reliable path than illustration?

How is a career path that leads to professional licensure for a function that is necessary in both commercial and private building markets more stable and more reliable than an art degree? Are you seriously asking this question?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

haveblue posted:

Yeah it seems like a bad idea to accept a commission to do a custom art project for someone and spend the whole time talking about how it sucks and is boring to do

Not disagreeing that tattoo girl sucks but it doesn't sound like OP had any "custom tattoo" like her boyfriend, or at least it wasn't mentioned. Could just be that girlfriend picked some "popular" boring design everyone wants/chooses, but tattoo girl likes doing more complex, semi-unique work rather than "here, tattoo this symbol I found from a Panda Express menu"

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I don't get why he's so butt hurt about her doing animation anyway, she probably could have finagled a computer-adjacent job out of that if she couldn't get a foothold in that specific industry. We have people at the agency I work at who primarily do animation.

Pretty much, even illustration can be applied to stuff like advertising & marketing with computer skills, she could probably make decent bank

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Not disagreeing that tattoo girl sucks but it doesn't sound like OP had any "custom tattoo" like her boyfriend, or at least it wasn't mentioned. Could just be that girlfriend picked some "popular" boring design everyone wants/chooses, but tattoo girl likes doing more complex, semi-unique work rather than "here, tattoo this symbol I found from a Panda Express menu"

I mean, I'm not saying the artist is wrong, just that it's unprofessional to say that to the customer's face

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would think that you wouldn't talk poo poo about a paying customers tattoo choices just as a matter of good business, not to mention general politeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

What's funny to me is that if the girl posted about "I lied about what I was majoring in so my dad would pay for my school" she would also get called an rear end in a top hat. Couldn't you major in art and get a minor in something computer related?