Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jeherrin posted:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tories-prepare-for-snap-election-if-starmer-resigns-0zr65x2cg

Tories prepare for snap election if Keir Starmer resigns

Even the Tories can see how Labour have made themselves unelectable.

I called them doing this exact thing when Starmer said he'd resign if found guilty. It doesn't matter who would be leading Labour in a snap GE; Labour can't hope to win while fighting a leadership contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
plot twist: none of the careerist shitheads want such a poisoned chalice so having learned nothing, they let the interim leadership go to an unelectable lefty with hilarious and superb consequences

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calling an election whilst the opposition party is in the middle of a leadership election is one of those things so obviously rotten you'd think our unwritten constitution would have something to say about it

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
it's why you typically don't give advance notice of your intention to resign.

the politics big brains have got it all figured out tho. boris johnson would look really bad if he did this

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The people have been clamouring for the premiership of None Of The Above, and finally the Labour Party is ready to let them vote for it

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

Calling an election whilst the opposition party is in the middle of a leadership election is one of those things so obviously rotten you'd think our unwritten constitution would have something to say about it

Boris should make Keith a Lord to really rub it in.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Is there a particular reason (other than being a loving moron) that Liz Truss is sabre rattling about a Chinese invasion of Taiwan?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

and i don't mean lovely artwork graffiti, i mean a big crude cock and balls drawn in a comically conspicuous but harmless location

or your ocassional

X :-

HOME RECKING Y! ! !!

Crudely drawn cock and balls are literally the oldest human artform, and actually probably predate anatomically -modern humans. Every cock and balls drawing should be preserved as a thread of our shared human tapestry

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

No Dignity posted:

Honestly, as most people would be voting against the Tories rather than for something, so it wouldn't make that much difference to the campaign.
Kieth is basically a nothing man anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Crudely drawn cock and balls are literally the oldest human artform, and actually probably predate anatomically -modern humans. Every cock and balls drawing should be preserved as a thread of our shared human tapestry

the bhutanese uniquely really developed this cultural phenomenon

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
50:50 on whether keith will actually resign if it happens; he's not exactly had any difficulty changing his mind before has he.

it'll be funny to do 'this you' comparisons with all the previous takes about how keir is a righteous paladin divinely ordained to arbitrate the nation's moral destiny but all those people have goldfish memory and no one will actually do anything

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

the bhutanese uniquely really developed this cultural phenomenon
I like the Roman garden gnome statuettes that you lift up and there is a phallus there, like a first century Transformer.

https://twitter.com/theclassicalco/status/1494256215202934785

I wonder if the big statues at the Vatican do the same thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Dignity posted:

It's always been so obviously rotten that nobody has tried it for fear of the backlash. It's just that now we have a ruling party so utterly and brazenly corrupt that it doesn't care. And it possibly doesn't even have to care; it's not like people aren't still voting for them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

I like the Roman garden gnome statuettes that you lift up and there is a phallus there, like a first century Transformer.

Flared base, very sensible

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pompeii and roman ruins are utterly littered with em, it owns:

I can almost hear the choir of angels singing.

(it's basically a good luck charm/way of warding off harm. The guidebook insists to romans it was "no ruder than a horse-shoe")

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am partial to the fascinum myself, which often takes the form of a big winged, legged, knobbed knob with bells on.

The GIS for it is very good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Somewhere in Posie Parker's nightmares the 633 Squadron theme starts playing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am partial to the fascinum myself, which often takes the form of a big winged, legged, knobbed knob with bells on.

The GIS for it is very good.

quote:

fascinum n (genitive fascinī); second declension

1) (originally) a charm, spell, witchcraft
2) (by extension) a phallus-shaped amulet worn around the neck as a preventive against witchcraft
- a penis, phallus, especially that of a human
- an artificial phallus, dildo
c. 27 CE – 66 CE, Petronius, Satyricon 138:
Prōfert Oenothea scorteum fascinum, quod ut oleō et minūtō pipere atque ū̆rtīcae trītō circumdedit sēmine […]
Then Oenothea takes out a leather dildo and, having covered it in oil, pepper and ground nettle seeds [

I have two questions. Firstly, as this is where we get the word fascinate from, does that mean I can claim "fascinating" literally means "hmm, this thing is very penis-ly"?

Secondly, what the gently caress Oenothea?!?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We do get fascinate from the spell/witchcraft sense, same as charm and glamourise, but not from the penis extension.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

For his part, the smart play might be to allow it knowing he'll win, because that would decisively put the issue to bed for a good while

What, like the 2015 one did? That was supposed to put the issue to bed for a generation.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Grey Hunter posted:

Honestly, as most people would be voting against the Tories rather than for something, so it wouldn't make that much difference to the campaign.
Kieth is basically a nothing man anyway.

I think it's this, it's also an easy sell to tell the public 'we got rid of our liar / poo poo / untrustworthy guy while they kept theirs'

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

feedmegin posted:

What, like the 2015 one did? That was supposed to put the issue to bed for a generation.

I was going to make a bad joke about teen pregnancy rates in Scotland leading to new generations coming round quickly but it turns out they’re at an historic low, which is unironically awesome. Still high in deprived areas but falling across the board.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh hey wait there's a version of it there that kept showing up in Poltergay, I wondered what that was, and they do play with a lot of Greco-Roman imagery so it makes sense.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

Still, it was pretty close and the No campaign was based on a lot of stuff that has turned out to be obviously false - eg staying in the EU. With everything that's happened since conditions are different enough to argue that public opinion may have shifted sufficiently to warrant another vote. If there was another vote to remain in the UK despite Brexit and Boris, it would be a lot harder to justify again anytime soon. Not that it matters, I'd be fine with having votes everyday - isn't that proper democracy? If the majority of people don't want to leave Scotland won't leave no matter how many referendums are called, if they do it will.

I don't really think Yes would win, but I can see why Sturgeon has made the move.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 29, 2022

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Hey UK nerds, here's a fantastic opportunity to WRITE TO YOUR MP

Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, and other scientific leaders, will brief MPs on the Climate and Ecological Emergency in JUST TWO WEEKS, on Monday 11 July.

The link contains a form letter that you can send to your MP to encourage them to attend, and bask in the certain assurance that the system is working.

The background:

A tryhard bleeding heart liberal concerned citizen went on hunger strike outside parliament until they agreed to do this briefing:

Angus Rose posted:

Rose said: “Many parliamentarians seem unaware of the frightening implications of the climate crisis; though the information is available to them, there has been no system in place to ensure they engage and understand it. This is what has been so frustrating. My hope is that if MPs understand the science, they will act with the required urgency.”

On 28 January 2020, the prime minister was given a briefing led by Vallance on the science of the climate emergency. Johnson, who had disputed climate scientists’ claims in the past, later said it had been his “road to Damascus” moment on climate science. He told reporters government scientists had “run through it all” and that anthropogenic climate change had turned out to be “very hard to dispute”.

MPs to get scientific briefing on climate after activist’s hunger strike

And some other big brained smart people prestigious medical organisations joined in to send a letter to all MPs encouraging them to attend.

UK Health Alliance on Climate Change posted:

The briefing from the Chief Scientific Adviser will provide the latest scientific evidence on the climate crisis to enable members of parliament to take the decisive actions needed to protect human and planetary health, in much the same way as we witnessed the Chief Medical Officer share vital evidence-based information during the covid pandemic. We strongly urge you to attend so that you are equipped to make informed decisions for the benefit of your constituents, for public health and for our health service.

Health leaders urge MPs to attend briefing on climate change

If you work in healthcare, this tweet contains a link to a form that will allow you to contact your MP even faster!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

2014. September 18th 2014. Will probably never forget that miserable day. And going to work the next morning feeling like absolute loving garbage about everything. Fast forward 7 loving years of Tory rule...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao we're all doomed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Lmao we're all doomed

always have been

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Eddy-Baby posted:

Hey UK nerds, here's a fantastic opportunity to WRITE TO YOUR MP

Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, and other scientific leaders, will brief MPs on the Climate and Ecological Emergency in JUST TWO WEEKS, on Monday 11 July.

The link contains a form letter that you can send to your MP to encourage them to attend, and bask in the certain assurance that the system is working.

The background:

A tryhard bleeding heart liberal concerned citizen went on hunger strike outside parliament until they agreed to do this briefing:

MPs to get scientific briefing on climate after activist’s hunger strike

And some other big brained smart people prestigious medical organisations joined in to send a letter to all MPs encouraging them to attend.

Health leaders urge MPs to attend briefing on climate change

If you work in healthcare, this tweet contains a link to a form that will allow you to contact your MP even faster!

My MP once wrote an article that says that reducing immigration was a better policy for preventing the spread of HIV than condoms.

I think it would be better for all of us if he just didn't show up tbh

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was searching for "mr whippy" for undisclosed reasons and I saw this and it sounded very ukmt if had existed back then:

Instead the myth of Thatcher as Mrs Whippy was originally served up as slander by the left, who used the technology of "adding air, lowering quality and raising profits" as a metaphor for her policies.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

jiggerypokery posted:

My MP once wrote an article that says that reducing immigration was a better policy for preventing the spread of HIV than condoms.

I think it would be better for all of us if he just didn't show up tbh

Sounds like he might write you a really interesting response!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sinky posted:

Is Starmers only talent the ability to choose the exact actions that make him look weak and please no-one.

He's a centrist, so yes.

All he really cares about is preventing the nightmare scenario of a leftist leading the party from happening ever again. Besides that he's got free reign to just sit around being a useless rear end in a top hat.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Lol...cuculus. the branch of mathematics created to determine the rate of wife-swapping in any marriage

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh calling a GE while your party is in a leadership contest might actually be a benefit since you vote for MPs not party leaders and Keith can't drag down the ballot by being the blandest turd

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

tbh calling a GE while your party is in a leadership contest might actually be a benefit since you vote for MPs not party leaders and Keith can't drag down the ballot by being the blandest turd

Broke: no manifesto
Woke: no leader

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah but in reality most voters haven't got a clue who their MP is before they show up to the ballot box. People vote for who they want to be PM

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly they could call it now, Sir Ken's dead in the water. They'd get 40% turn out and a 50/50 lib/con coalition split.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jippa posted:

I was searching for "mr whippy" for undisclosed reasons and I saw this and it sounded very ukmt if had existed back then:

Instead the myth of Thatcher as Mrs Whippy was originally served up as slander by the left, who used the technology of "adding air, lowering quality and raising profits" as a metaphor for her policies.

Wait hang on, is this saying that Margaret Thatcher having invented soft-serve ice cream is a myth? I thought that was like, the one actually good thing she ever did.

EDIT: Well now I'm even more gladder she's dead:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check/2013/apr/17/margaret-thatcher-team-mr-whippy

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 29, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Going into an election with an untested newcomer barely stumbling out of the starting gate and a pinky promise that THIS one won't be a useless, corrupt imbecile would be absolute electoral suicide, not least since everyone has forgotten Keith and Labour's existence, so you get the perfect blend of a complete lack of political vision, no inspiring personalities and the stink of internal squabbling and rudderless incompetence.

In that situation half the Tory voters could pull their vote in disgust and Johnson would still win a comfortable majority.

E: I'm aware that Johnson is also a useless, corrupt imbecile, but he has a self-confidence that propels him through any crisis in a way that Keith doesn't, and people are at least somewhat aware of who members of the cabinet are, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you who any of the shadow cabinet are right now, let alone what role they play or anything positive they've ever done.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I think it's this, it's also an easy sell to tell the public 'we got rid of our liar / poo poo / untrustworthy guy while they kept theirs'

I assume the papers are sitting on their lockdown booze pictures of Nandy, Streeting and any other empty suit that might get pushed