Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Velius posted:

I’ve never played Calamity. Is it significantly harder than baseline terraria? I’ve got two boys I might try and play with in it, but they’ve never really finished the baseline progression without heavy cheating/out of depth items, and I’d like to try and keep within that here.

Uh, late Calamity is basically bullet spam hell. It's more of an exercise in twitch avoidance reaction while flying.

A late game boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AjHmJfCQk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hell yeah

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Velius posted:

I’ve never played Calamity. Is it significantly harder than baseline terraria? I’ve got two boys I might try and play with in it, but they’ve never really finished the baseline progression without heavy cheating/out of depth items, and I’d like to try and keep within that here.

yes very much so. it’s by no mean insurmountable and you do get a lot of tools to handle the increased difficulty and it does ramp up over time with few huge leaps but i don’t know if i’d recommend it for people who struggle with the base game.

it is a more fun and imo fair difficulty compared to master mode but it’s quite a bit more intense than anything in the base game

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Calamity is best played with Fargo's Mod (eternity mode on). Gods fighting gods in the endgame.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kalas posted:

Uh, late Calamity is basically bullet spam hell. It's more of an exercise in twitch avoidance reaction while flying.

A late game boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AjHmJfCQk

On the one hand, I would be terrible at that level of gameplay.

On the other hand, that music is :krad:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
We’re going to try playing on classic mode together. I kind of decided master mode got too tedious when I was fighting Plantera in vanilla because fishing all the potion ingredients endlessly got really boring. Hopefully this isn’t super grindy too…

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Vil posted:

There should be an OST playlist on youtube.

It's a fun mod, even if you can't finish everything. I'd say significantly harder but the gear keeps getting better. You'll have stuff that could kill the moonlord in 5 seconds at that point while ignoring his damage.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Isn't the Calamity Mod the one where one of the endgame bosses despawns, instagibs you, and says something like "go gently caress yourself" if you aren't taking enough damage or if you're doing too much?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Isn't the Calamity Mod the one where one of the endgame bosses despawns, instagibs you, and says something like "go gently caress yourself" if you aren't taking enough damage or if you're doing too much?
They took that out.

... poo poo, I just realized I don't know how I'm going to deal with lategame calamity bosses without the dragon ball mod flight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that was supreme calamitas, if you did more damage than was meant to be possible she’d kill you with the message “Go to hell”

also if you had her lore item in your inventory it made you die in one hit from any damage, with the same message. apparently Supreme Calamitas is a sore loser

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Yeah, old Supreme Calamitas is like, bad superboss design all around.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Vil posted:

i can’t stress enough how loving good the calamity mod music is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtvS4-VqxRA

i dunno overall calamity has the dark souls community problem where lots of people are overstating how difficult it is when it mostly is about being patient and learning how to dodge the attacks. also the items it adds are super cool and fun, especially the plague fly related ones.

now to be fair i haven’t played since 1.4 came out so it’s entirely possible that they messed everything up since then, but every changelog i skimmed seemed reasonable and a lot of the dumb stuff got removed

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

i dunno overall calamity has the dark souls community problem where lots of people are overstating how difficult it is when it mostly is about being patient and learning how to dodge the attacks. also the items it adds are super cool and fun, especially the plague fly related ones.

Oh yeah I've just never actually played without either the dragon ball mod also installed so I could just. loving fly, or back in the "Supreme calamitas instant kills you if you do anything it disapproves of" era so I didn't bother with much of the later stuff.

Like, just outrunning the Devourer of Gods flying, the DBZ mod is kinda crazy. EDIT: and does not have plans to update to 1.4 last I checked

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Do we know when 1.4.4 is going to release? I'm planning on putting up another Terraria server, but I'd like it to both be 1.4.4 and calamity.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

pokchu posted:

Do we know when 1.4.4 is going to release? I'm planning on putting up another Terraria server, but I'd like it to both be 1.4.4 and calamity.

the tragedy of it all is that while both 1.4.4 and calamity may (or may not) be around the corner it’s gonna take some time for calamity to get up to date with 1.4.4

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

watho posted:

It's a combination of the fact that Calamity's power scale and boss design are substantially more difficult than base game Terraria's - i.e. the level of dodging you need to do for early HM Calamity bosses is around the level you need for Moon Lord in vanilla - and the fact that Calamity provides a ton of optional increasingly painful (and completely optional) difficulty modes above and beyond what vanilla had to offer.

Like pre-1.4 had Normal and Expert, Calamity went beyond Expert with Revengeance, then Death which was harder Revengeance, then Malice which was even harder Death. You never have to play the super hard modes, but a lot of the popular youtube videos are in the harder modes and it also fostered that ugly community elitism thing that exists in some form in a lot of hard games where you're not playing the "real" calamity mod unless you're playing it on gently caress-your-face mode.

The bosses, music, and items in Calamity are almost all incredibly fun and super polished, and some of the new stuff it adds still blows me away. The Abyss is basically a completely unique experience, for example.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 24, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m very pro-Revengeance mode for playing Calamity since it makes very big changes to boss AI, gives you some really cool extra items and power-ups, and gives you the Rage and Adrenaline meters which can shred bosses if you use them at the right time. The extra advantages it gives you help offset the boost in difficulty. Above Revengeance is whatever but I do think Revengeance adds a lot to the mod and it’s something you should at least give a try. You can always toggle it off if it’s not your thing.

Also, if I’m understanding correctly, it seems like in Journey Mode you can move the difficulty slider to Expert, activate Revengeance Mode, then move the slider back down and have all the effects of Revengeance mode but minus the 2x enemy damage and health modifier of Expert mode, which would probably be a nice middle ground way to play the mod. Journey mode in general I think will help alleviate a good deal of frustration.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I recently started playing this with some friends, most of us for the first time. It's fun, but I can't imagine the time sink involved if you aren't in Journey mode and you want to see as much content as possible. Not a criticism, the gameplay is fun enough that I can see it being a good time, but none of us have got that kind of free time these days. Specifically, the research mechanic really speeds things up so that we don't have to grind out mining tons of ore to craft armour sets for four people. Plus, it does give a sort of collection game of unlocking stuff just because you can, which is fun in its own way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Lemony posted:

I recently started playing this with some friends, most of us for the first time. It's fun, but I can't imagine the time sink involved if you aren't in Journey mode and you want to see as much content as possible. Not a criticism, the gameplay is fun enough that I can see it being a good time, but none of us have got that kind of free time these days. Specifically, the research mechanic really speeds things up so that we don't have to grind out mining tons of ore to craft armour sets for four people. Plus, it does give a sort of collection game of unlocking stuff just because you can, which is fun in its own way.

There are a lot of players out there who only play this game, thus the time commitment for it is different than it may be for you. And it's such a great experience that maybe one day you and your friends may only play this game and want some major mods to make it more challenging. Who knows? :)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think Journey Mode is great because it removes a ton of tedium from the game and makes the game accessible to people who don't have as much time.

I have weird hangups and can't personally play on Journey mode because I lose interest very quickly if I do for some reason, but I'm glad it's there for people who don't have that problem.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yes exactly same. i don’t vibe with journey but i’m extremely glad it exists for the people who do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does journey mode help if you have the brain disease where you need to purify every corrupt block as soon as possible even if it means mining out massive chasms to hell?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Khanstant posted:

does journey mode help if you have the brain disease where you need to purify every corrupt block as soon as possible even if it means mining out massive chasms to hell?

Yeah because you can duplicate infinite clentaminator ammo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my current world is just after starting hardmode right after I finished purifying the entire map and I couldn't handle, and also my map is ugly because of all the removal. Think I'll start a new world on Journey mode and actually just focus down the bosses to get to hardmode faster and get to the clentaminator quickly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kanos posted:

Yeah because you can duplicate infinite clentaminator ammo.

or infinite dynamite :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

my current world is just after starting hardmode right after I finished purifying the entire map and I couldn't handle, and also my map is ugly because of all the removal. Think I'll start a new world on Journey mode and actually just focus down the bosses to get to hardmode faster and get to the clentaminator quickly.
don't forget to grind all the hardmode evil biome resources up to the point you can duplicate them first

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pretty sure 1.4 has a functioning mod that stops the spread.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Augus posted:

Also, if I’m understanding correctly, it seems like in Journey Mode you can move the difficulty slider to Expert, activate Revengeance Mode, then move the slider back down and have all the effects of Revengeance mode but minus the 2x enemy damage and health modifier of Expert mode, which would probably be a nice middle ground way to play the mod. Journey mode in general I think will help alleviate a good deal of frustration.

Not possible, according to the update notes from the Calamity discord:

quote:

Journey Mode and Bestiary
Aspects of Journey Mode are accessible with Calamity! Research with items is working, and you can read enemy and NPC entries in the Bestiary.
The Journey Mode Powers Menu cannot toggle Revengeance, Death and Malice using the difficulty slider. You must slide it to above 2.00x(aka Expert) and then enable them using the items.
If you slide the difficulty below 2.00x, these modes will disable immediately.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

or infinite dynamite :v:

yeah haha i did most of my purification drilling holes for dynamite or making holes with dynamite or blowing up one piece of corruption annoying me with sticky dynamite. explosive purity!

edit: also i think i might try a red world this time, ive basically only ever dealt with the purple stuff on my past worlds. then again, i have a vague note in back of my mind that i went with purple last time for a reason on my "real final" world that im abandoning now.

is it just me or does everybody always come back to games where you get to build stuff and wonder what the hell you were thinking or going for. there are bits where I'm like "oh thats cool and pretty, useful even I dig it good job me." but mostly it's "why the gently caress is this person over here and what disgusting landscaper designed this wasteland?"

I logged into my minecraft world for the recent update and I had the same self-disgust, how could someone live like this and why was it me?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 24, 2022

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Been trying Calamity for the first time, been enjoying it other than the painfully loud rage/adrenaline sound effects, and my journey to try and figure out how to either reduce the volume separately from normal sound effects or silence them has resulted in my discovery that tmod doesn't appear to properly save the mod files it downloads anywhere findable. The mod folder it directs you to from in game contains nothing but a target file that opening it doesn't list where the actual files are stored either.
I probably just need to do the discord's stupid phone verification to ask someone there who probably knows the solution to this nonsense.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Einwand posted:

Been trying Calamity for the first time, been enjoying it other than the painfully loud rage/adrenaline sound effects, and my journey to try and figure out how to either reduce the volume separately from normal sound effects or silence them has resulted in my discovery that tmod doesn't appear to properly save the mod files it downloads anywhere findable. The mod folder it directs you to from in game contains nothing but a target file that opening it doesn't list where the actual files are stored either.
I probably just need to do the discord's stupid phone verification to ask someone there who probably knows the solution to this nonsense.

The mods are actually stored in your "Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\1281930" folder because they're Workshop mods.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I swear I looked in there already but there they are, now to figure out how to mess with a .tmod file to adjust the sound volume I guess, thanks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

isn’t there anything in the mod options menu to change the volume?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You don't really have to worry about corruption spread in modern Terraria. It isn't that fast. It can't even destroy the Jungle anymore.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Believe me I looked quite a few times before coming to the conclusion that wasn't an option for some reason. There are absolutely no sound/volume related options in the Calamity mod config ingame.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Basically, as my experience goes, if you want vanilla +, wait for Thorium. If you want high challenge and gear that completely eclipses Vanilla choose Calamity.

Also, the thing that stands out about Calamity to me was the Jungle Dragon had a charge move that scaled based on your maximum movespeed. If you had an accessory from another mod that gave you too much speed the attack was basically un-dodgable and IIRC likely an instakill.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Peachfart posted:

You don't really have to worry about corruption spread in modern Terraria. It isn't that fast. It can't even destroy the Jungle anymore.

For sure, it was never a real fear or concern, just some elective chore that I had my fun with pre-hardmode but that world is a disaster and I think I got it out of my system.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Peachfart posted:

Spoken like someone whose desert town hasn't been devoured

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SirSamVimes posted:

Spoken like someone whose desert town hasn't been devoured

Nothing quite like trying to teleport to a pylon, only to be told that it isn't in a valid settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BisbyWorl posted:

Nothing quite like trying to teleport to a pylon, only to be told that it isn't in a valid settlement.

This is the worst feeling in the game