Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The mercenaries games are pretty good tactics ogre knockoffs. The translation is a bit off, but I’ve played enough JRPGs to vibe with it.

Of course, you could also play tactics ogre which is just a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Rinkles posted:

Theoretically, how many hours of a game like Slay the Spire are you gonna get out of the Deck? Or maybe someone’s already tested it.

On my iPad I can play for hours without thinking about the battery level. On my laptop it would probably be a bit more than two, and it would burn my lap doing so.

Haven't started a run, but the starting menu with scrolling clouds etc estimates 5+ hours at 86% battery with 40 refresh rate, half rate sampling. Could likely set up 30 fps and not notice/care because of the gameplay for even better battery life.

Edit: started a run with GPU clock set to 800, says estimate is 5:30+ at 84% so you'll get a lot out of it!

minusX fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 7, 2022

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Theoretically, how many hours of a game like Slay the Spire are you gonna get out of the Deck? Or maybe someone’s already tested it.

On my iPad I can play for hours without thinking about the battery level. On my laptop it would probably be a bit more than two, and it would burn my lap doing so.

I get down to about 75% in around 90 minutes, on whatever the Deck’s default settings are. I haven’t messed with any clock speeds or refresh rates since I unboxed the thing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rinkles posted:

I've been playing it a bit and it says the estimated battery life is around 5-6 hrs. I reckon it could go longer if you reduced some of the power settings etc.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody have a longer charger to recommend? The one keeps getting pulled out of the outlet and none of my regular usb adapters are powerful enough to charge the deck

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bought an Anker Nano 45W and had some 10’ USB C cables laying around and that’s suiting my needs.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

Rinkles posted:

I haven't extensively tested but the steam battery estimator puts it at about 4 hours I believe.

Edit - whoops just saw the above reply which is more extensive than mine .

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

DrManiac posted:

Anybody have a longer charger to recommend? The one keeps getting pulled out of the outlet and none of my regular usb adapters are powerful enough to charge the deck
The Google charger that came with my Pixel Slate (rated 45W https://store.google.com/product/45w_usb_c_power_adapter?hl=en-US) works well and has a nice long cable. I bought a discounted 90W Best Buy Branded one (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-90w-usb-c-wall-charger-black/6367459.p?skuId=6367459) but they discontinued that series so maybe the 65W version is a good pickup https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-essentials-65-w-usb-c-wall-charger-black/6474684.p?skuId=6474684 (Edit: Oh that doesn't include a cable, so make sure you get a long one that's rated for higher rates meaning this next one might be the better option since it comes with an 8 ft cable) and they also have one with international plugs w/USB A port https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-65w-8-ft-international-laptop-charger-for-usb-c-laptops-black/6420342.p?skuId=6420342

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

Did you ever have any luck with this? I factory reset my router and set it up in all sorts of configurations to try and see if I could narrow down the issue for you but dynamic or static addresses, DHCP, etc. had no effect. As long as I manually set the proper network adapter in Warpinator and Winpinator preferences, they were able to communicate. I've been using Winpinator on a Windows 10 PC and Warpinator with the Deck's desktop mode grabbed from Discover.

unfortunately not, I have too little time lately.

I had this since the very beginning in March and I'm at loss why the deck erases Proton wifi IP settings. The connection and password are saved and available both in SteamUI and Proton, only the configuration gets reset every other day.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I told EmuDeck to install to my SD card. I am trying to find where the emulators are actually installed but haven't been able to.

Are they in hidden folders or something?

Specifically, I want to drop my aes keys into Citra.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone tried a switch charger? I’m always nervous using that charger because i think the switch has some weird power requirements.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It should be fine, the Deck has proper USB-C and I'm sure Nintendo didn't skimp on their brick.

I have not used the official charger for my Deck maybe more than once or twice.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone tried a switch charger? I’m always nervous using that charger because i think the switch has some weird power requirements.
They used a PD requirement that while standard, isn't used everywhere so in some cases stuff caused too much draw and was frying switches. The charger itself is fine and not going to cause any issues.

The Nintendo Switch AC Adapter supports 7.5 watts (5 volts @ 1.5 amps) and 39 watts (15 volts @ 2.6 amps) charging profiles over its USB Type-C connector.

So I'm guessing it might complain about it not being fast enough but likely would charge with a message that it was slow so it might not be able to keep up with AAA games at max settings draining the batts. I don't have one on me right now to test sorry.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
drat, people weren't kidding about them ramping up the orders. I just got the ping for my 512GB deck today and the site was thinking I wouldn't get it until the end of the month

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Not to double post, but anyone got a recommendation for a good 1 TB SD card?

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Yup same here, so they're at least through the first 3.5 hours of 512GB's in the US. Are they sill shipping out of Carol Stream IL? I'm in Chicago so hopefully it'll be quick.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's a good power bank for the deck? Just got my email in.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

I still don’t have my Deck but I know it’s compliant with USB-C PD so any modern Anker power bank should work great

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ryuga Death posted:

Any Anker laptop power brick, but those cost like 150+

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fast charging degrades the battery more, right?

Butt Frenzy
Jul 29, 2004

FuriousGeorge posted:

Yup same here, so they're at least through the first 3.5 hours of 512GB's in the US. Are they sill shipping out of Carol Stream IL? I'm in Chicago so hopefully it'll be quick.

Yeah. I ordered on Monday and am supposed to get it today in northwest Indiana.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Not necessarily. It's heat that degrades the battery faster. If you can fast charge without getting hot, it's fine. Problem is most fast charging will heat the battery.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Tibbeh posted:

Not to double post, but anyone got a recommendation for a good 1 TB SD card?
SanDisk Elite 1TB seems to be the high end choice, $160, hopefully sales happen with Prime Day. ($130ish is the all time low)

Rinkles posted:

Yes but most current fast charging devices are setup to fast charge for the first half then cooldown and slowly fill as it gets more full. This counters a lot of the extra heat that could be happening when you charge, giving you better battery life overall while also allowing for a lot of power fast if you need some in a short amount of time. If you kept filling to 50% and unplugging on a device it would die a lot faster because of that.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Does a power bank have to output at least 45W to be a good fit for the deck? I don't fully understand all the power stuff, but the deck tech specs say it has an input of 45w and I'm seeing an Anker battery pack that is listed as delivering 20w. That's bad, right?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I woke my Steam Deck up yesterday after having it in my bag for the day and it immediately popped up something saying the battery was drained and it was shutting down, even though I knew the battery was fine. Afterwards, I couldn't get it to start back up (maybe I didnt hold the power button long enough?). I ended up hooking up USB-C power and started it up, and the battery was at 99%.

Has anyone else seen this? Kinda worried that the Steam Deck could lock me out like this, especially if I don't have a charger with me. Hopefully its a software bug and not a hardware defect.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Seems like they are shipping pretty fast too, I got my order email Monday and it's scheduled to arrive by EOD tomorrow (Friday).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It jumped up another hour in the US 512 queue but it's still only 4 hours into the queue and there's hundreds of days worth of orders to go.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Rinkles posted:

You can turn down the performance and set to fast mode for animations. It's a card game, bar Java optimizations, it's nothing huge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

You can turn down the performance and set to fast mode for animations. It's a card game, bar Java optimizations, it's nothing huge.

I just wanted an idea of what the battery life was with less demanding stuff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

There was more focus on benchmarks closer to launch but you can probably chase those videos. I recall with everything down/low in terms of frame rate and brightness you could easily pull 6-8 hours (depending on the game)

Gaming Nexus mega benchmark video had them get 6 hours on Dead Cell.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Rinkles posted:

Like I said: You can turn performance down. Bar huge Java unoptimizations, you'll probably get slightly better than the Phone version. Like 6 hours or so. Phone/console versions like the Switch don't let you set it 30 or lower or turn off certain CPU calculations.

There should be a benchmark around the Deck's launch. I'm not sure if StS in general was tested, but stuff like Stardew was better on battery life than more unoptimized/performance hogs like Elden Ring or Cyberpunk.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

6-8 for stuff like terraria/stardew
2-4 for stuff more gpu intensive (like ps4 gfx style games)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-steam-deck-battery-life-guide-games-tested-and-how-to-extend-it

Albion Online - 1h 45m
Apex Legends – 2h 28m
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - 4h 09m
Death’s Door – 2h 34m
Death Stranding Director's Cut - 1h 28m
Elden Ring – 1h 33m
Fallout 4 – 1h 48m
Forza Horizon 5 – 1h 37m
God of War – 1h 29m
Grant Theft Auto V – 2h 54m
Hades – 3h 27m
Hitman 3 – 1h 41m
Horizon Zero Dawn – 1h 31m
Portal 2 – 4h 03m
RimWorld - 5h 17m
Team Fortress 2 – 2h 16m
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – 1h 44m
Total War: Three Kingdoms - 2h 09m
V Rising - 1h 32m

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can contribute to this: I got nearly 5h exact running slay the spire at “max” settings at full brightness. I know this because I played it on a roughly 5-hour flight and it died right as we landed.

It was also connected to AirPods the whole time

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.newegg.com/p/0D9-00WV-00015?Description=m.2%20ssd%202230&cm_re=m.2_ssd%202230-_-9SIAX3GHR42294-_-Product&quicklink=true

I'm kinda of tempted unless this is a bad ssd

https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-1tb-microsdxc/p/N82E16820173294?Item=9SIA12KBUH9848

and this mSD?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 7, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Slanderer posted:

I woke my Steam Deck up yesterday after having it in my bag for the day and it immediately popped up something saying the battery was drained and it was shutting down, even though I knew the battery was fine. Afterwards, I couldn't get it to start back up (maybe I didnt hold the power button long enough?). I ended up hooking up USB-C power and started it up, and the battery was at 99%.

Has anyone else seen this? Kinda worried that the Steam Deck could lock me out like this, especially if I don't have a charger with me. Hopefully its a software bug and not a hardware defect.

Sometimes the battery controller gets in a state where it doesn't actually know what the battery charge is or should be. You can reset this by fully draining the battery until the battery itself cuts off power delivery.

Shut down the Steam Deck. Hold Volume+ and press the power button, then go to Setup. Unplug the charger if it's plugged in, and then let the Deck stay on this screen until it powers off by itself. Try to power it on without the charger to ensure it's fully discharged. Then plug the charger in, and boot up the Deck. It'll be at 1-5% battery life; keep it charging until it's full, at which point the battery controller should be recalibrated and you should be good to go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know it’s just me but it seems a bit much to pay $160 for a 1TB microSD when you can get 512s for $55. Especially since you can swap them in the deck with no issues.

Not knocking anyone doing it though!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

How many of y’all using your deck for a fair amount of emulation? I think it’s what I’m most excited about lol. Looking forward to playing some favorite ps1 and maybe ps2 games in a handheld form on a screen bigger than what’s on my 351v.

I've been basically only using my deck to play switch games so far.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
btw anyone find a silicon case or something they like?

Some one mentioned the razer grip tape but I'm worried it will leave a residue.

My hands don't really get sweaty but holding the thing does get awkward after a few hours. The xbox elite controller has sort of a grippy surface I really like and trying to replicate it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I know it’s just me but it seems a bit much to pay $160 for a 1TB microSD when you can get 512s for $55. Especially since you can swap them in the deck with no issues.

Not knocking anyone doing it though!

Alright, that's fair, it's $67 for the samsung one

any particular good wraps for the Deck, any fun designs?

Or general silicone protectors to go around the deck that aren't bulky? Not sure if anyone has any likes there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrManiac posted:

I just ordered a 6' extension cord.

Adds a bit of heft to the package, but it's also cheap and theoretically usable with other short chargers in the future.