Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

Definitely try Gunbuster/Diebuster. Very 80s Hot Blooded Passion for the former, 00s deconstruction for the latter.
how anyone who posts in adtrw hasn’t seen gunbuster is absolute mystery to me

watch gunbuster, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Covok posted:

I feel Zoids is definitely mecha. And your recommendations are good. Don't continue after NCZ. There are series after but they SUCK. Like Fuzors is the worst.

Yeah I just wasn't sure because Gundam and stuff involve manmade humanoid war machines. They ae actually just machines you get in to pilot, exotic tanks basically. Zoids is like, they're animals and they're sort of weirdly alive maybe. I guess EVAs are too but I dunno.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

TenementFunster posted:

speaking of old people who keep buying robotech merchandise for inexplicable reasons, i’ll be bro tanking this and immediately putting a big black X over the robotech logo on the back

i wanted to buy this shirt but didn't like the logo on the back. nice technique

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress gundam seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gently caress you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Supremezero posted:

If you want cool spidermechs just watch 86.

Akito's spidermechs kinda kick the poo poo out of 86's, ngl, I'm watchin it rn

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

But both are good

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
86 is cool for pretty much everything besides the mechs, in my opinion.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pootybutt posted:

Akito's spidermechs kinda kick the poo poo out of 86's, ngl, I'm watchin it rn

Yes, but 86 has, yknow, things other than that. So you can get the spidermechs and an actually good anime.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

i wanted to buy this shirt but didn't like the logo on the back. nice technique
it was on sale, and it’s not like im gonna run into anyone who knows either property nor cares about the difference

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Yes, but 86 has, yknow, things other than that. So you can get the spidermechs and an actually good anime.

lol whatevs. I'm not disliking the plot or diengaged, and while I remember it getting super dumb 5 oavs from now there's plenty of room still for animeass anime that just looks and sounds next level.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sitting here thinking about how cool Yu-Gi-Oh is.

I've kinda wanted to reread it anyway. Good excuse. Maybe organize a simulread.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Stand Alone Complex can have the feel of a mecha series at times with all the time spent in tachikomas, in character's direct pov w the hud up and making other people's cyborg bodies and robots do stuff.

Yu-Gi-Oh was cool, a simulread would be ace

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

man takahashi dying sucks :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Aside from Gundam, what other actually great mecha anime are worth watching? Votoms is the only other classic one I know about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efxr8CX6aXU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

Aside from Gundam, what other actually great mecha anime are worth watching? Votoms is the only other classic one I know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcV78LJryA

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

pentyne posted:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

gently caress gundam seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gently caress you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, sexist

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i only played like, 60% of srw j but seed seemed Fine in that, lotta melodrama like the kid who liked the piano

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
G Gundam if you want something that's fever dream crazy.

Hades Project: Zeorymer if you're feeling antsy for OVA era WTFs

If AoT is Mecha then Gleipnir counts too :colbert:

TenementFunster posted:

how anyone who posts in adtrw hasn’t seen gunbuster is absolute mystery to me
I mean, how easy is it to watch?
I know there's a dubbed Blu ray coming this year but otherwise???

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, how easy is it to watch?
I know there's a dubbed Blu ray coming this year but otherwise???
is this one of those times i have to pretend nobody on the Something Awful Forums pirates stuff?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Booky posted:

i only played like, 60% of srw j but seed seemed Fine in that, lotta melodrama like the kid who liked the piano

J definitely smooths it out some

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

is this one of those times i have to pretend nobody on the Something Awful Forums pirates stuff?

it being less convenient and readily available than streaming or an official release is enough obstacle to expect plenty of people won't have watched it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

piracy is a crime, why would anyone do that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
crime is cool op

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kuromukuro is something I didn't hate. i liked the 2 and a half evangelion movies I watched, and i liked gurren lagann but mostly because it reminded me of Dragonball

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

There is so much stuff legally available that I want to watch that I’m kinda too drat lazy to pirate anymore, plus I’d have to finally decide on a way to get all that crap to my tv somehow. Best I can do is rips on YouTube of stuff so drat old or obscure that nobody gives a drat

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dogsicle posted:

it being less convenient and readily available than streaming or an official release is enough obstacle to expect plenty of people won't have watched it
i bought a combo gunbuster/diebuster movie combo a few years back, but it’s the movies and probably still in the shrink wrap

of all the poo poo to watched dubbed, gunbuster has got to piss me off maybe the most

Pitch posted:

Big sister!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

These days for me if something isn't readily available streaming and it's not something I badly wanna see, it might as well not exist.

(Gunbuster is good tho and I hope it gets out there on one of the streaming services at some point so it can get a whole new set of eyeballs checking it out)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is why i use the piracy streaming sites because so far it's had everything anyone ever mentioned on it lol. i haven't tried to find some obscure poo poo that was disc only in Japan though, I imagine there's a low chance of that. but anything sold or streamed here seems to be available. it's not like i speak Japanese anyway so no big loss

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

for recent-ish mech recs: Planet With loving rips

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Booky posted:

nicol was only 15, he loved to play the piano, he wasnt very good at it. in fact he kind of sucked. but it seemed like it made him happy so we all indulged him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I enjoyed Zegapain a lot more than I expected to.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Booky posted:

SRW has a strong tendency to fix bad things in series. It has what's basically considered the actual version of Seed Destiny in SRW Z

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only thing i've experienced of Seed is the back half via SRW W, which also follows a bunch of spinoff manga or something (I think?) and it seems ok.

Thank you SRW. Solid way to experience shows I was never going to watch and don't seem all that interesting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I enjoyed Zegapain a lot more than I expected to.

Same lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would generally expect a game series which has to reevaluate and condense/combine mech characters and storylines would provide a better experience than 17 hours of one anime made under a troubled production

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The only thing i've experienced of Seed is the back half via SRW W, which also follows a bunch of spinoff manga or something (I think?) and it seems ok.

Thank you SRW. Solid way to experience shows I was never going to watch and don't seem all that interesting.
w covers astray, which is one spinoff manga thats run for a while. astray intersects some with the main gundam seed plot since it takes place at the same time, but obviously while seed characters sometimes show up in astray astray characters never show up in the actual anime, since astray was made after. w's main change with the seed anime plot is making it and astray more naturally connected.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

w covers astray, which is one spinoff manga thats run for a while. astray intersects some with the main gundam seed plot since it takes place at the same time, but obviously while seed characters sometimes show up in astray astray characters never show up in the actual anime, since astray was made after. w's main change with the seed anime plot is making it and astray more naturally connected.

I know Lowe and Gai are from Astray but I thought there was a couple of other Seed spinoffs in there as well. Or maybe Astray is just bigger than I thought.

It's usually pretty easy with SRW to see where the seams are in the crossovers and in edits to the story and I think it's an interesting exercise to think through. But I can't really tell where the separation is and when it's combining spinoffs of series I don't know very well in the first place.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know Lowe and Gai are from Astray but I thought there was a couple of other Seed spinoffs in there as well. Or maybe Astray is just bigger than I thought.

It's usually pretty easy with SRW to see where the seams are in the crossovers and in edits to the story and I think it's an interesting exercise to think through. But I can't really tell where the separation is and when it's combining spinoffs of series I don't know very well in the first place.

There's Astray, Astray R, and X Astray.

Yes, Really.

There's even more with Destiny.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED MSV ASTRAY (promotional OVA)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray R
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray B
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED X Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Frame Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 Δ ASTRAY
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED ASTRAY Princess of the Sky
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray MSV
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray R
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray B

Look at this poo poo!

I think the only non-Astray side material in Seed is Stargazer and the new Eclipse thing.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

nah, all the other stuff in W is from astray too, astray is a huge series. the series list lists a bunch of astray stuff but thats because the series would run under a new title every arc, basically.

the only non-astray seed spinoff of note is stargazer and that's in K, not W.