Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

marumaru posted:

another clueless marumaru question: are the people complaining about ADTRW modding actually ADTRW posters or concern trolls? i dont think i want to trudge through 900 pages of QCS posts to find out

what does your heart tell you mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

marumaru posted:

another clueless marumaru question: are the people complaining about ADTRW modding actually ADTRW posters or concern trolls? i dont think i want to trudge through 900 pages of QCS posts to find out

Search deep within your heart, remembering that this is, in fact, SA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

My other idea to supplement it is to ban anyone coming in to be an rear end in a top hat. But not by the mod of that sub, but another Admin. Like if there was a TFF feedback and someone came in to call the TFF mods baby killers or pedos or whatever, I would ban them.

Or if it were an anime one, I would have another admin handling any probations while we discussed feedback like normal adults.
couldnt you just get more admins to hand down bans in qcs for that kind of behavior, though? im not sure what the shift to individual feedback threads would resolve if you'd also want to integrate more aggressive punishment of people trying to stir the pot or denigrate the mods without cause.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

likely not even lurkers like myself, really. the question is if the blood in the water is enough to get Jeff to a) notice and b) close ADTRW because man they're gonna push for that now. and unlike CSPAM, I doubt ADTRW makes a lot of money for the site

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

im both

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

the last ADTRW feedback thread didn't exactly go great

It didn't because we, the admins, didn't clamp down on it quick enough. For me, I was moving that weekend into a new apartment and by the time everything was over, Baal had quit and everything was on fire.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SA would probably be healthier if the shitposting comedy subforums (gbs, byob, fyad) and the topic discussion subforums were different websites, but lmao at the idea of an offsite taking off

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

couldnt you just get more admins to hand down bans in qcs for that kind of behavior, though? im not sure what the shift to individual feedback threads would resolve if you'd also want to integrate more aggressive punishment of people trying to stir the pot or denigrate the mods without cause.

We are definitely looking for more Admins. But be it 5 or 20 admins, the fundamental problem is that our feedback mechanism is broken and is designed to actively abuse moderators and admins alike.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

SA would probably be healthier if the shitposting comedy subforums (gbs, byob, fyad) and the topic discussion subforums were different websites, but lmao at the idea of an offsite taking off

lmao skullmund and lpzone

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Eh sometimes I wanna be on topic and sometimes I just wanna shitpost

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Supremezero posted:

It's not like this is a problem unique to ADTRW.

It isn't but that hasn't changed Jeff's position.

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways, SA is gonna die a slow death if you just try to rely on hoping you can find mods who are okay with things the way they are. Structural changes of some kind are needed. While user feedback is valuable, and this whole thing was kicked off by people who were right (the initial bans were bad), there's a subset of the QCS population that immediately smell blood in the water and chase the high of nailing the bad guys, without putting any particular thought into who or what they go after. Whether the structural changes are technical or in how qcs is handled manually doesn't really matter. But the status quo is that, in three years, SA will have no mods left.

SA will totally have mods in 3 years. They'll just be those people who love the smell of blood and punishing whatever they deem as posting crimes.

Also jumping into a thread for the sole purpose of making GBS threads in it is 100% deserving of a Ban. It's literally twitter brain bullshit of dogpiling onto randos for some take or another and presumably SA'd be at least less braindead than that.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I, for one, welcome our inexorable non-ADTRW mod overlords. May they rule with a fair but iron fist.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I agree, Jeff should do literally anything related to the site

he is busy experiencing Buyer's Remorse

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arist posted:

What do you think

kirbysuperstar posted:

what does your heart tell you mate

Supremezero posted:

Search deep within your heart, remembering that this is, in fact, SA.

with this novel information on hand let me ask you just this one other question to fluffdaddy who afaik is an admin of this webzone: why aren't these people getting instantly hit with bans instead of allowing them to roam free, poo poo everything up, harass a mod and lead them to quitting and having to take a sabbatical from the site
wtf do they have dirt on you

Xelkelvos posted:

Also jumping into a thread for the sole purpose of making GBS threads in it is 100% deserving of a Ban. It's literally twitter brain bullshit of dogpiling onto randos for some take or another and presumably SA'd be at least less braindead than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

We are definitely looking for more Admins. But be it 5 or 20 admins, the fundamental problem is that our feedback mechanism is broken and is designed to actively abuse moderators and admins alike.
like i said i think my idea of just op and admins/mods being able to post in a qcs thread would largely fix it. probate people for making threads that are just mod abuse with no actual feedback or concern. feel like this is a situation where everyone wins since like i said as it stands a lot of legitimate concerns get lost in the spiraling discussions that emerge from any kind of blowup, and mods/admins have to put up with less random clutter or posts that are just there to insult them. feels like it should be possible, admins/mods can already post in locked threads, shouldnt be too hard to allow OP to post in a locked thread in QCS specifically?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

well i can think of a couple of successful SA offsites. unfortunately.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

GBS is actually not a problem, all things considered. They mostly keep to themselves and police the sort of stuff in the mess here pretty well. CSPAM otoh, should be on the list of getting jettison'd to its own site because it's practically concentric in the intersection between the QCS posting clique and CSPAMmer

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Taking a poo poo in bad threads has been a staple of something awful for two entire decades.

Yeah there's a bit of culture difference between the discussion forums and the shitposting forums but there's a whole lot of overlap in users between both.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

see you on the bloards

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been on here for over 17 years, and never realized QCS had that kind of open posting. The only reason I knew QCS existed was because I hop into the dead goons thread every once in a while to see if we've lost anyone I know.

It seems to me modship needs to be wholly anonymous. Fresh accounts with a strong understanding that they're trusted by the site owners/admins. If mods aren't trusted to hand out bans/permas, don't loving give them that ability. Make it an admin/Jeff only button.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

It seems to me modship needs to be wholly anonymous. Fresh accounts with a strong understanding that they're trusted by the site owners/admins. If mods aren't trusted to hand out bans/permas, don't loving give them that ability. Make it an admin/Jeff only button.

The QCS support robot accounts were almost as bad of an idea as QCS itself

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

two of those three don't really qualify as comedy subforums i don't think

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I've been on here for over 17 years, and never realized QCS had that kind of open posting. The only reason I knew QCS existed was because I hop into the dead goons thread every once in a while to see if we've lost anyone I know.

Anonymous mod accounts have been tried and that opens up an entirely different can of worms!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Endorph posted:

reading between the lines, it kinda sounds like the core problem is that the absentee site owner doesn't really want any changes, and unlike the previous absentee site owner, he doesn't want anyone else making changes without his say-so

at least under Lowtax, the only people who were immune to bans were the ones who could bear the shame of donating to his patreon and then begging him for an unban live on stream

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

like i said i think my idea of just op and admins/mods being able to post in a qcs thread would largely fix it. probate people for making threads that are just mod abuse with no actual feedback or concern. feel like this is a situation where everyone wins since like i said as it stands a lot of legitimate concerns get lost in the spiraling discussions that emerge from any kind of blowup, and mods/admins have to put up with less random clutter or posts that are just there to insult them. feels like it should be possible, admins/mods can already post in locked threads, shouldnt be too hard to allow OP to post in a locked thread in QCS specifically?

There may be fundamental structural code issues in the site that limit it in terms of possible hard coded limits. But soft enforcement of OP, Mods/Admins, and maybe other specified relevant parties (say OP is complaining about another poster's actions not getting punished despite reporting or the uncommon case of a poster being banned, but not probed coming back on to explain things publically) with bans (or I guess probes) for anyone violating it.

But that'd require firm action that Jeff is not gonna do.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

I second this idea. One of the biggest reasons qcs hardly gets anything done is there's way too much noise from multiple posters even over minor poo poo, usually just ones wanting to tell dumb jokes. At the very least it'd cut down on people screaming for mods to get in their threads.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Taking a poo poo in bad threads has been a staple of something awful for two entire decades.

Yeah there's a bit of culture difference between the discussion forums and the shitposting forums but there's a whole lot of overlap in users between both.

Is ADTRW an actual discussion forum or a shitposting forum?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

The problem there is that there is a group of people who are convinced that SA is run by a secret group of pedophile-enabled monsters and anonymous mods would just make them froth even harder. (Why people continue to post on the site they are convinced is run by pedophiles is entirely beyond me.)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

The problem there is that there is a group of people who are convinced that SA is run by a secret group of pedophile-enabled monsters and anonymous mods would just make them froth even harder. (Why people continue to post on the site they are convinced is run by pedophiles is entirely beyond me.)

To shitpost about a site run by pedophiles. It's not like they have any stake in it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i believe the time for a new chat thread is nigh

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The brainworms run deep and all of their posting friends are here too. The idea of :justpost: taken to unhealthy levels

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Srice posted:

Anonymous mod accounts have been tried and that opens up an entirely different can of worms!

I mean it can be tried again. Instead of being a general robot mod account it could be specific to each subforum so there is accountability as to who is using it and who to complain about.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People shitstir to get stuff changed because that's traditionally been the only possible way to get specific weirdos banned. It sucks and shouldn't be that way but, well. That's how the site has functioned for as long as I've been a goon at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I sincerely doubt anyone actually believes this.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People shitstir to get stuff changed because that's traditionally been the only possible way to get specific weirdos banned. It sucks and shouldn't be that way but, well. That's how the site has functioned for as long as I've been a goon at least.

Yeah the perception that making a huge QCS blowup is the only way to get things done is a big part of why it keeps happening, and the lack of change on the admin side which makes it keep working out that way is only making it worse imho.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Shortest Path posted:

I sincerely doubt anyone actually believes this.

Then those accusations should be banned because they're loving tedious

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
they are banned! guess how enforcement of that rule shakes out lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Arist posted:

Then those accusations should be banned because they're loving tedious

About as tedious as bad poo poo like how that awful thread was handled happening constantly, imo.

Like, this poo poo doesn't happen in a vacuum. People get insanely mad and overreact to the admins not doing their jobs effectively because that keeps happening and the pattern keeps repeating itself. That doesn't excuse the lovely QCS dogpilers but those wouldn't have any ammo if poo poo got handled correctly the first time around.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

Oh my god they're Q(CS)-Anon????

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
watching anime in an unmaximized browser window like a psycho. no one can stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mycophobia posted:

watching anime in an unmaximized browser window like a psycho. no one can stop me.

Mods?!?!

... wait.