Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

[Crate-Ur, God of Boxes][2 HP]

Magnusth posted:

"FOOLISH THING"

Granting the Aardiche Addaptation, the Oneder Dinosaur Magic of growth-through-creation
Granting the Gradaptation: 1d20 2

As one fiery speech ended with a divine's existence - and the taunting, whispered temptations of the [Goddess of Chaos] faded - came then the opening creak of a divine chariangle and a tenor of saddened disappointment.

"Oh [Pantocrat]. You should've stayed on Twomb - to pass your [Final Gift] to their [People]," tutted [Great Crate-Ur] as Its own crumbling, glowing facade slowly rotated to a rest and it came to face the Aardiche who had chosen to humble themselves before the [Gods].

"An [Edge], Cleaves-The-Herd? Do you wish to be [The Lord Of Edges]? [I, Crate-Ur] gave you one already! You left it to rust within the [Inky Mires] of your minds - yet it could still be honed and [Shaped], just like the true usage of [Addaptation] could - maybe, perhaps - be [Uncovered] with time and effort. [Understand] that the Aardiche are not without [Gifts] or potential - you are replete with unhoned [Edges]! With [O'Steely's Final Gift] and challenge you could even procure more... yet that may require you to play along with those you would call quarry - be it in competition or cooperation."

There was an undertone of mirth in the words of the [God of Boxes] at this thought.

"I did tell you - [Lift With Care And Share the Load]. Some of our [Divine Gifts] can be raised into greatness and passed on as prizes [Reboxed] by their recipient for other mortal minds and shapes - mere [Knowledge]. Rather than Axed them you could have asked them - those other [People] - whether there were [Edges] worth sharing. Yet you lowered to pray, because you could not rise with prey. Well, that [Wild] arrogance [I Will Forgive] for [Your Prayers Are Answered]. Reckon it an honor to be so addressed and [Gifted] again, for it remains a recognition of your vast potential. Though it also remains on your kind to [Unbox] much of it. We [Gods] have not been as helpful in that."

[Crate-Ur] tilted in the direction where [Pantocrat] had come and gone.

"Divine or mortal pique aside, it is [No Poor Thing] we have done for you. That [People] remain after our [Unpackening], to explore our wonders and our worlds, to quest or compete, build or destroy, or simply be - is [Good]. What use is a [Score] with none to behold? What use is a [Box] with nothing to keep? [Nowhere] needs its [People] and its [Gods] to hold [Meaning], which will carry the greatest load of all - [Existence]. So live however you will, but do [Heed My Words]."

With a loud (but oddly satisfying) splintering noise, [Crate-Ur] rose again into the air, flakes of light and purpose tearing off their very coverings to land upon Oneder or float away unbound by gravity, making one glimpse the shape of something else beneath.

"[My 4 Commandments] can offer your [People] some guidance or succor - for these [I, Crate-Ur] have ensured you share with the other [People] of Oneder - a common thing you may lean on should worse come to worst. That said, there need be no more prayers. The [First Gods] will be gone soon, save our [Remnants]. Our [Unpackening] is upon us, the [Final Gifts] are being parcelled, be they dregs of our might or bursts of finality. May this moment be marked in the [Axkashic Records], as in the coming Age only you will be left. You, the other [People], and our [Gifts] - left to sort it all - until the next great [Pantheon of Nowhere] arrives to mete out theirs upon those they consider worthy. Until then, let me amend my [Second Gift] with my [Final] one."

[Crate-Ur, God of Boxes] glowed with a fierce brilliance then and colors of no Neon ever seen illuminated a confusing new world - of [Boxes] and [Scores] - within Cleaves-The-Herd's mind - enough information to splinter their very wits! Yet - not wholly, nor permanently. Instead, each divided piece of attention felt itself guided towards comprehension of the very [Separation] needed to put one's thoughts in boxes apart. Using what remained of the primal [Axkashic Records] as a tool to train, Cleaves-The-Herd was taught to sunder their focus - inside a split focus. Taught to pay heed in part - in part. To view the rise of [Staticestics] with a whimsy. Note with a notion the [Score] progression of their [Understanding] - so low, too slow! - and so much more.

All too soon however, these epiphanic visions of a fuller more [Understood] reality faded and [Crate-Ur] - Its visage creaking and cracking from the strain, Its [Fragile] nature in full display - ceased showing the wonders of [Compartmentalization, the Magic of Separation]. In Its final moments, [Crate-Ur] turned to tilt upwards, gazing past the distant [Skybox] and out into that far-off [Ocean] from where They'd finally escaped ahead of so many others - quirking a wry lid at the wispy opposition bleeding through at their [Divine Lesson]. The [God]'s voice fell to a whisper barely heard by the dazed Cleaves-The-Herd.

"No perfect [Score] - but enough to beat that poser. Now. [Existence] wears me thin. Would you like to know [What Is In The Box]?"

Without pause [Great Crate-Ur's Sides Split] - and within was a smaller [Box] whose crumbling rims fell aside - and within was a smaller [Box] whose walls scattered like dust - [And Within Was A Box] for [It Was Boxes All The Way Down] - and this was [Crate-Ur's Final Lesson].

Teach Cleaves-The-Herd the magic of [Compartmentalization, The Magic of Separation] to make sense of the [Axkashic Records]: 1d20 6

TLDR; [Crate-Ur] punks on Pantocrat, lectures the Aardiche (largely amused by their reluctance to engage with their former prey species) and reveals more Secrets(-ish) of the Gods and Nowhere. Attempts to not have the [Axkashic Records] fall into total irrelevancy by teaching Cleaves-The-Herd [Compartmentalization, the Magic of Separation] to aid with accessing it. Manages to suck slightly less than Pantocrat.

Compartmentalization lets users separate one's mind into multiple concurrent divisions - virtual boxes of thought - and dedicate different bandwith to these. Skilled users can multitask well and pay surface attention to many things at once - such as multiple simple conjurations of Axiom - or narrow their focus to pay great attention to one thing from multiple angles. This is of incidental aid in accessing the primal [Axkashic Records] and probably of great aid in, say, analysing things, throwing off mental influences and suchlike.

Compartmentalization is a double-headed axe sort of Magic - the more one splits one's attention the less... complete that attention will be (unless, y'know, you a real good Hero) and sieving away distracting matters may lead one to unwise reductions in priority - "I'm hurt" or "I'm hungry" tends to be among those! Then again perhaps sometimes you'd rather not pay attention to such things...

Aabcehmu posted:

-1 to the god with the largest wordcount this turn

:greencube:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

We'll see how Nummor does, before I make my final assessment.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Abstain, I ran out of ways to hurt people or this would be a negative towards O'Steely. I am a very angry Wisp.

4 Wispoints.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

KittyEmpress posted:

-1 to Pantocrat

I crave god deaths to end off the age. The more people we have at 1hp for the final round, the better. Make a bunch of gods pop like balloons at a party!

0,- left

RandomUserString posted:

-1 Pantocrat

-

Zybourne Clock posted:

-1 Pantocrat

Open the blood gates. :doit:

Remaining: -
WP: 4

SerSpook posted:

-1 Pantocrat

- remaining

I lust for god blood.

Bee Bonk posted:

Wispoints: 3>4
[0] Remain

-1 Pantocrat

I note that i cannot in fact be killed by this. You don't get the extra malus/bonus if it's not a natural 1/20.

However! I also note that downvoting Crate-Ur, who just tried to one-up me but got a 6 would be extremely funny. Imagine if i get a 2 and even *then* Crate-ur whiffs on one-upping me. It would be, as the kids say, extremely funny.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Abstain, I ran out of ways to hurt people or this would be a negative towards O'Steely. I am a very angry Wisp.

4 Wispoints.

I will do this because I am feeling indecisive.

negative towards O'Steely.

+ Remains

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Nummor, Lord of Snacks

Nummor was sated. Sated by Snacks!! Indeed, the waft of the Acts of Snackreation proved pleasing to him. It was certain now that there would be many, many snacks across Oneder and Twomb, and so Nummor was pleased. But there was still more that could be done, though this would be the last of it, Nummor could now tell, the weight of his existence fading. It seemed the Snacklord would not rule forever above a cornucopia, after all.

Nummor looked, then, and saw a people divided in a wild ocean. The foolish gods had performed their miracles heedless of the cautious nature of the Squild, and so that people was rent apart by their curiosity and their caution. But there was something that could unite that people. SNACKS!!!

teaching the Squild of Snackriculture: 1d20 17

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
+1 to Pandora, surely there's no way this could go wrong.

Votes Remaining: [-]
Wisp Count: 4

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
-1 Pandora, it is the way of Gods to perish. Accept your fragility. Accept your demise.

+ remain.

4th Wisping

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Abstain.

3 Wisp Points

[--] remaining.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Magnusth posted:

I note that i cannot in fact be killed by this. You don't get the extra malus/bonus if it's not a natural 1/20.

However! I also note that downvoting Crate-Ur, who just tried to one-up me but got a 6 would be extremely funny. Imagine if i get a 2 and even *then* Crate-ur whiffs on one-upping me. It would be, as the kids say, extremely funny.

OK.

-1 Pantocrat to -1 Crate-Ur

Remaining: -

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
-1 Pandora

Remaining: +

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

-1 Pandora, it is the way of Gods to perish. Accept your fragility. Accept your demise.

+ remain.

4th Wisping

Mhm. Success or failure, Pandoras quite dead soon. Trying to uplift a squilb Krakink, not take control of one :v:

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 16, 2022

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Magnusth posted:

[I, Crate-Ur] can but say that the [Score] is clear regardless of Operation Dunk On's success or not. For sure, it'd be a crying shame if you never once got a win on me, Pantoprat. :greencube:

---

We really should just presume at this point there was a continuous set of taunts and I Can Do Betters between the two Gods that happened on some divine layer unseen by People, seeing as we both introduced civilization, created a hero, attempted a far-flung development project into the future and (tried to) teach a magic. Future Gods, take note.

But hot drat on Nummor sneaking away with the overall win at the end! That's some Hare vs Tortoise poo poo right there. Ah well. At least Snacks go in Boxes.

Arcanuse posted:

Mhm. Success or failure, Pandoras quite dead soon. Trying to uplift a squilb Krakink, not take control of one :v:

Since you died in the final round you also get an Idol I believe, so hey! :v:

And the People should get a Golden Age. Would've gotten a Diamond Age if Pandora had survived until the end. Unless of course I misremember or Those Rules Have Changed. Greatly anticipating the next update! :munch: :five:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
+1 Nummor.

Wisp count: 4.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

-1 to Pandora Let all things pass in time.

(Wisp count 4)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Abstain

Wisps remaining: -
Wisp count: 4

I choose to let the gods squabble amongst themselves

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

- 1 to Nummor, just because it's a high roll, I think it should be okay.

[-]
Wisp points: 4

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Chaosfeather posted:

- 1 to Nummor, just because it's a high roll, I think it should be okay.

[-]
Wisp points: 4

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

-1 Pandora
The dice were not with you in this reach for immortality.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Abstain

[+-]
Wisp Points: 3

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have anything left but to abstain

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
did you double up a turn or do I suck at counting? I thought we were at 4 or fewer each

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

did you double up a turn or do I suck at counting? I thought we were at 4 or fewer each

We are indeed at 4 actions done. Swedish could still choose to negawisp instead of abstaining, having posiwisped twice and negawisped once.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
abstain

I'm going to save my last minus for something magnificent in the final round.

[-]

Edit: Changed vote to -1 Pandora.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 21, 2022

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Chatrapati posted:

abstain

I'm going to save my last minus for something magnificent in the final round.

[-]

This is the final round :v:

Four actions and five Wisp votes per Age, so you get one you won't have to use.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Theantero posted:

This is the final round :v:

Four actions and five Wisp votes per Age, so you get one you won't have to use.

Oh no! Changing my vote to uhh -1 Pandora. Magnificent!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
+1 Crate-Ur.

3 -> 4 WP

[-]

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The dusk of the First Age was upon them, and the Gods strove to make the final touches on this world. The People knew the Gods, and many knew the Gods would fall in the coming days, but none - Gods or People - knew what would happen after that.

Summoned by the sharp-edged calls of the Aardiche Cleaves-The-Herd, the Gods descend with boons. Comments, suggestions, and twin Magics, powers that will lift the Aardiche up to bring things back to a status quo that will see the Axe People back on top. Only… the words, the magics, trip from Godly tongues, sinking loosely into the world and scattering. Quaking in dismay and mortal injury, the Gods are powerless before this Person’s disdain. She listens to their speeches, their grand promises of power, and sneers.

I’ve seen your powers, your little tricks. I’m not impressed, and my people aren’t impressed. This cutting magic? My claws are sharper. This ‘score’ magic? Why compare ourselves in the face of survival? These new baubles, tossed to us while you bless the others with wonders? You can keep them. We’ll make our way alone - the way we always have.
Disaster. The Gods could hardly muster the words to call her back as she left them behind, leaving their magic in the dust. What would become of the Aardiche without the power of the Gods? They would never know.

(PANTOCRAT LOSES 1 HP! CRATE-UR LOSES 1 HP! Gradaptation and Compartmentalization Magics are settled into the world, but the disastrous rolls for each mean they fail to find purchase on the Aardiche as a People! What’s more, between their innate Wildness and the earlier failure of the Axkashic Records, they have become Distrustful and Magic-Resistant - they are both worse at learning Magic and have natural immunity to weaker forms of it. Cleaves-The-Herd does not become a Hero, but divine radiation from the failed magics may have effects on her progeny…)

Elsewhere, O’Steely beckoned the would-be Heroes of Oneder to seek out the Mattockhorn, that great Axe mountain to the frigid north. At its very peak, the Remnant of His godly power, power enough to raise a brand new Hero! All have heard the tales of Baxie the Plungerboa and her Grand quest to unite the Peoples of Oneder (though that's hit a bit of a snag where the Aardiche are concerned…) and wish a taste of her power for their own! And so, from all over, People tested the Mattockhorn.

And were rebuffed! It turns out that the Godly Challenge Mountain was rather more… Challenging than expected! Over time, a bit of a loose village formed near the base of the mountain to serve snacks to those who would challenge its… Challenges. Thus far, none have made it - but the People of Oneder would keep trying!

(The Mattockhorn is now the site of the Trial of Axcension, with the prize being the Remnant of O’Steely (more on that later)! It's too tough for anyone to get without proper study and preparation, so the village of Haft has formed at its base. People from all three races are interested in the prize and so there is a… tenuous peace in place. Time will tell how this all works out! Probably non-violently!)

Afterwards, they struggled to understand. The Goddess shared with them the secrets of the Krakink, those deepest Ink cousins grown enormous in their great age. She would raise them up, and they would stand above the Myriad as the Myriad stood above the Deviant as the Deviant - to be honest - stood above the general population of Squild. The grand procession as the chosen Krakink, the Tattooist, responded to the call of the Goddess. She spoke works of divine power unto it and-

Chaos, but a wrong chaos. The Tattooist bucked and screamed, its body crackling and shifting under Warpweft gone mad. It lashed the Ink, great scribbled currents dashing the bodies of the faithful against the walls of Inkfell. The Myriad shrieked in pain or madness themselves, etching fel patterns on the walls of the Garden until their beaks were shredded nothingness. The Fractal Garden itself bucked like a living thing, reaching out for them.

The Deviant fled, seeking shallower Inks. Confused, anguished, angry, they flooded from the depths with dire pronouncements of the terror in the depths. The Ink People as whole were terrified and unable to cope, the culture clash and the great feeling of betrayal and shock fueling conflict between the two groups. It would have come to blows but for the timely intervention of a delightful snack. The God of Snacks had been looking on, waiting for just such an opportunity to teach His great work. Miserable, the Deviants explained the whole mess to the others over food. The Fractal Garden was surrounded by a great Warpweft barrier and all were warned not to approach, much as they missed its bounties. The thing in its depths did not venture forth - which was good, because the barrier would do little to stop it should it seek freedom. And so, as the Age turned, the People of Ink - reunited - farmed and intermingled and watched the depths.

(PANDORA LOSES 1 HP AND IS LOST! The Tattooist has become something strange and powerful, and it claims the Fractal Garden and Inkfell for its own. The Deviant have been forced out and scattered, and don’t really know what happened. Some Myriad managed to escape with them, but many of them were driven into utter madness by the Tattooist’s calls and haunt the depths.

On the, uh, upside, the Squild have readily embraced Snackriculture, with the Deviant’s faculty with Warpweft allowing them to easily manipulate the Inkstone of the seafloor to plant delectable Tomatoner and Pentil crops. This will buffer the troubles the Squild will suffer as they are forced to clear living space too close to the Garden!)

Meanwhile, entirely unaware, the Shiverm and Maraqueet continued work apace on the Flickerfare. Despite initial optimism, it became clear very quickly that this would take a very, very, very long time. Even Noble, ever the peppy Hero, grew a little distant as the Gods’ silence stretched on. He’d been hoping for a little more guidance or… anything like that. Build a bridge between worlds, they said. He squinted up at the heavens, at the dim green disk of Oneder. Easier said than done, good Gods! His Shiverm companions coiled around him, comfortingly. They were used to the silence of the Gods, but through inexorable work Ice could scour even the toughest Dinostone, it was said! He conceded their point, stretched his glorious wings, and got back to work.

(The Shiverm and Maraqueet keep building the Flickerfare. It’s going to take just a stupidly long amount of time at their technology level, but they’re not giving up yet! The two Peoples have grown quite close in the absence of the Gods, and are good at working together. Many People have died working on the project, but the prospect of an afterlife is an enticing one. Generally, People think it’s worth the sacrifice.)

And then the Gods fell silent, and the People were on their own. Nowhere trembled with their loss - and something else…

-O-
The End of the First Age! Give your Gods a big hand, folks - they didn’t [i]totally destroy any of the People, though some are doing better than others! They’ve all set off on their own interesting paths, so let’s see where they go. Now, onto the good stuff!

quote:

GODLY REMNANTS
Even though the Gods are gone, the survivors have left something of themselves behind. What the manage to leave depends on their overall integrity at the end of the Age.
  • 3 HP - Artifact: Powerful and lingering, Artifacts can be used once an Age. Their effects are many and varied - but their power is Godly.
  • 2 HP - Miracle: Powerful, but fragile, Miracles can be used only once. Their power is great, but fails before that of Artifacts.
  • 1 HP - Idol: Meagre remnants of the God's power, affecting their surroundings by radiation. Give off a minor passive effect to their surroundings.
    If your God has survived, indicate which Remnant you got and 3 basic concepts for it (Weapon, Tricky, Explosive, Trap, Scrying, etc.) OR give a suggestion for an effect you want!
NEW GODS
Even though the First Age of Gods is done, don't roll up new Gods just yet! There’s an important thing to do first.
  • If you were a God this Age, you cannot try to get in next Age. The Age following that, you have a -10 penalty to your roll.
  • Keep in mind that Wisp counts are cumulative over Ages - if you don't get in this Age, just keep adding to it!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 21, 2024

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

This is Nowhere. Something - the Prime Material - is in short supply. It has collected here in enough supply to support life, but not forever.

As the Gods touch this place, they strengthen it, keep it held together.

But when they die, their death sends… ripples. Cracks through the firmament.

The Material can only take so much.

BREAKING posted:

One God died this round. One Material will lose integrity.

Vote on a Material - and an Aspect of that Material. A random vote will take place using the results.

The losing Aspect will be Broken, significantly weakening it and any Magic associated with it.

When all Aspects of a Material are Broken, that Material is lost to Nowhere.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dinosaur, Extinction.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ink, Obfuscation

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Dinosaur, Extinction.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Pinball, Competition.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Pinball, Competition.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Dinosaur, Extinction.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ink
Obfuscation

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Ink
Obfuscation

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dinosaur, Extinction.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Ink, Obfuscation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm gonna go for

Ink because basically every action targeting the Squild was a failure wow.

For aspect just to be different I'm gonna vote Staining.