Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to play stranger of paradise on steam deck but I’m about 9000% certain it’ll be an absolutely terrible poo poo show of an experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
the internet disappears in societal collapse and I laugh from atop my throne of unplayed games, before launching my steam deck and

"can't enter offline mode, please connect to the internet"

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

jokes posted:

I want to play stranger of paradise on steam deck but I’m about 9000% certain it’ll be an absolutely terrible poo poo show of an experience

I tried to get it to work and I couldn't. Proton DB doesn't even have an entry for it from what I could find.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

JumpyMonky posted:

I tried to get it to work and I couldn't. Proton DB doesn't even have an entry for it from what I could find.
Try this? https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vgpur7/stranger_of_paradise_final_fantasy_origin/ieb7dnh/

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

minusX posted:

but...why?

What if you need to play a bad port of Ark: Survival Evolved while on an airplane!?

Maybe I could take two screenshots and go back and forth between them to simulate playing Ark. Christ, that port was bad.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Has anyone gotten PSO E1&2 up and running on this?

It boots, but once it passes through the company splash screens and I set the date/time, it gets stuck on a black screen. Other GCN games (MK:DD, Skies of Arcadia) have worked fine so far...

e: Also, having issues with PSO V.2 playing in Japanese despite loading the US rom... tried the fix laid out here, but still coming up the wrong language. Any ideas?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmuDeck/comments/vzyqli/dreamcast_game_language_wrong/

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 19, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the internet disappears in societal collapse and I laugh from atop my throne of unplayed games, before launching my steam deck and

"can't enter offline mode, please connect to the internet"

I appreciate this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PowerBeard posted:

Do you own enough games on Switch to require a 1TB SD card?
Embarrassingly, yes.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My 'getmydeck' estimate went from 3% like 3 weeks ago, to 25% last week, to like 37% today. So, things are moving! I wonder how long it'll actually be now...

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/s/US/512/1626573095

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Chinook posted:

My 'getmydeck' estimate went from 3% like 3 weeks ago, to 25% last week, to like 37% today. So, things are moving! I wonder how long it'll actually be now...

At that rate it'll show up tomorrow.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Chinook posted:

I just hit 25% in the same category. Based on a few others I've seen, I expect to get my e-mail on August 1st, or possibly the 4th.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've said it before but given that preorder volumes are an exponential decay curve over time, you'd expect an exponential increase in time-based fulfillment percentages.

So, next week?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone been able to run Fallout: New Vegas? The Launcher only has the option "INSTALL" available but then it gives me an error that Fallout: New Vegas isn't installed and that I should explore the DVD-ROM drive (lol).

Some people were saying that installing Fallout 3 can fix this error but I don't own that so I'd rather not. I guess I could try it and just refund Fallout 3 if it fixes it.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Anyone smarter than me know how to get Ur Quan Masters working on the deck? I can't be the only one who wants this. Also, how have there been no games like that since?? (I actually really like the new star control origins and can't get it running on the deck either)

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Mine was knocked over and fell maybe two feet onto the ground, while zipped up in the case, by my cat and the right side popped open along the seam but not far enough to eject anything. It still runs and afaik nothing broke. I dunno if I want to put in a return ticket.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

chainchompz posted:

Mine was knocked over and fell maybe two feet onto the ground, while zipped up in the case, by my cat and the right side popped open along the seam but not far enough to eject anything. It still runs and afaik nothing broke. I dunno if I want to put in a return ticket.

how was the cat

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Luckily unharmed by the steam deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any updates on when the Steam OS interface well replace the antiquated big picture mode? (I mean in Windows)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chinook posted:

I was at 11% at the end of June, I'm at almost 67% as of today. Between last Thurs and today alone it went up over 20%. Early next week might actually be a pretty accurate estimate for me based upon the progression curve so far. Even so I'll check my email on Thurs hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Will the Steam app give me a notification? I've got it on both my tablet and phone, so I'll probably see it there before I check my email.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

tensai posted:

Anyone smarter than me know how to get Ur Quan Masters working on the deck? I can't be the only one who wants this.

The Linux version of Ur-Quan Masters is pretty hard to compile on SteamOS. libmikmod is not available in pacman so you would have to compile that first, then fix some libc errors.

This process from earlier in this thread works for the Windows version of Ur-Quan Masters you can download from http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php. Set the controls to Joystick 1.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Hopefully this answers your question. I haven't done it with Linux-native games but I imagine the process is similar.

Non-Steam Games as First-Class Citizens

I've found that a lot of Windows games run just fine with a newer version of Proton and a little bit of tweaking. To the point where one almost couldn't tell they weren't Deck-native. It requires a bit of setup and I may be forgetting a step but once you've got the fundamentals in place it's easy to repeat the process.

It helps to have a mouse and keyboard handy; you'll be in Desktop Mode for a bit.

• Install ProtonUp-Qt: From Discover, the built-in application manager (Start -> System -> Discover), install ProtonUp-Qt. This will allow you to install newer versions of Proton ahead of Steam's official releases. You only need to do this once.
  • Install the latest Proton-GE: Launch ProtonUp-QT, click Add Version, and select the latest version of Proton-GE (GE-Proton-7-24 at time of writing). You may need to restart your Deck at this point for it to show up in the next steps. You only need to do this once, unless you want to update to a new version of Proton. I've been happily using 7.20 and don't feel the need to fix what isn't broken.
  • Install a game: Launch Steam from Desktop Mode. Go to the Library tab. Click Add a Game in the bottom left, and choose Add a Non-Steam Game. Click Browse and locate the setup.exe if you need to install it or the primary exe if it doesn't require installation. You'll probably have to change File Type from Applications (*.desktop) to All Files in order to see it.
  • Change the settings: You should see a new entry for setup.exe (or whatever the file name was) in your library list on the left. Right click on it and go to Properties. On the Compatibility tab check Force The Use of a Specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool then select the GE-Proton that you installed previously. If the game requires no installation then skip the ? steps that follow.
  • Install to SD Card?: If it's an installer and you want to install it to the SD card you'll need to add the following string to Launch Options: "STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/ %command%" (without the double quotes). This will allow your SD card to show up as the E: drive for the installer.
  • Install?: Run the setup.exe and hopefully you'll be able to install to a place of your choosing. Some installers (especially the kind with music) seem less likely to work on the Steam Deck than others; I've also found some success with installing on a separate computer and just copying the files over, but that will only work with games that install everything to one directory (which admittedly is often GoG games).
  • Target new EXE?: Now that the installation is done, you'll need to edit your custom application to point to the new EXE. Right click on it and go to Properties again and hit the Browse button on the Shortcut tab to locate the newly-installed executable. Feel free to remove the STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS Launch Options if you want, though I don't think leaving it does any harm.
  • Set the Steam App ID: In whatever folder your game's executable exists, you'll need to create a "steam_appid.txt" file whose contents are the numerical Steam App ID, most easily gotten from https://steamdb.info/.
  • Download Icons: You'll also want some pictures or it'll show up as a blank box on the Steam Deck. https://www.steamgriddb.com/ is pretty good for that. You'll want a tall one and a wide one if you can find them. I prefer to save them to the same directory the game's executable is in.
  • Set Icons: There are three places to set icons and it's a bit fiddly. One is on the Shortcut tab just to the left of the name on the Properties page we've been messing with. It's the least important but it's kind of nice. Use the tall one here. The second is on the Library tab. Make sure to scroll down to the All Games section (don't use the one under What's New, that doesn't work for some reason) and find your game. Right click on it, go to Manage -> Set Custom Artwork. Use the tall one. Launch your game for just a sec; the first invocation will take a minute but hopefully it'll work. Exit out if it does. You should now see a wide blank icon under Recent Games, below All Games in the Library. Right click on that too and go to Manage -> Set Custom Artwork. Use the wide one.
  • Hide Steam Version: Earlier when we set the steam_appid.txt we suggested to Steam that this was the Steam version of a game. This causes its Steam version to show up in the Library, often with a link to the store page. Right click on that version and go to Mange -> Hide This Game. Then you should only have the one version.

Again it sounds like a lot but it's not that bad once you've done it about twice. Let me know if you have any hiccups; I've installed about a dozen games this way. Not everything works but most things did. One or two were kinda fiddly and so I decided to just buy the Steam version anyway. Turns out with some effort you can copy your save over, but that's a discussion for a different time (that I somewhat already had).

tensai posted:

Also, how have there been no games like that since?? (I actually really like the new star control origins and can't get it running on the deck either)

Check out Space Pirates and Zombies, Starsector, and Endless Sky.

Edit: and the web port of Lunatic Fringe

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 19, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There is a flatpak version of UQM that might work but you have to build it yourself. pacman is kind of a pain in the rear end on the steamdeck with how everything is mounted ro, wouldn't bother trying to install it that way. Yeah installing the Windows version might be the easiest way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Anyone been able to run Fallout: New Vegas? The Launcher only has the option "INSTALL" available but then it gives me an error that Fallout: New Vegas isn't installed and that I should explore the DVD-ROM drive (lol).

Yeah it does that for me too. I didn’t know about trying FO3 first though.

Also obviously RDR2, The division, BL3 all run fantastic and that’s what I played for the whole night.

The deck is legit.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Chinook posted:

Fast. I was at like 11% at the start of this month and I got my email yesterday.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

anyone emulating and seeing improvements using powertools/disabling SMT?

I’m a bit leery of fiddling with my system now that I’ve gotten it set up but comments are quite positive

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

3DS hacking-era step by step on checking that your SD card is healthy and reporting the correct size:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html
https://3ds.hacks.guide/f3-(linux)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/f3xswift-(mac)

I have never been burned buying from official channels, but you hear rumors.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So just so I'm ready for this once it ships out, is there some sort of resource outlining all the cool poo poo you can do with this without me needing to dig back 175 pages of this thread? I heard people talking about installing Windows and emulators and poo poo and I want in on that

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Figures my reservation came up when I have absolutely no money available. Cancelled it, so if anyone was waiting on a 64Gb, you moved up a spot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Heran Bago posted:

3DS hacking-era step by step on checking that your SD card is healthy and reporting the correct size:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html
https://3ds.hacks.guide/f3-(linux)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/f3xswift-(mac)

I have never been burned buying from official channels, but you hear rumors.

Apparently Amazon will store its “sold by amazon” stock in the same warehouse bin as “sold by random third party seller” and that’s how it’s possible for fakes to get out in the wild.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Framboise posted:

So just so I'm ready for this once it ships out, is there some sort of resource outlining all the cool poo poo you can do with this without me needing to dig back 175 pages of this thread? I heard people talking about installing Windows and emulators and poo poo and I want in on that
EmuDeck is apparently the one-stop shop for Deck emulation and includes a bunch of scripts and poo poo that'll automatically set up a bunch of emulators and can even apparently add the ROMs themselves to Steam so that they'll auto-launch the emulators. I dunno, someone who actually has a Deck can elaborate.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Samopsa will attest that I’m incredibly stupid with computers and I got emudeck + warpinator to transfer roms working in 10 minutes using one of the 100 video guides on YouTube

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Phssthpok posted:

Stuff about Urquan Masters/SCII
Thank you for this post. I'll work on this and will check out the recommendations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Framboise posted:

Commander Keene posted:

EmuDeck is apparently the one-stop shop for Deck emulation and includes a bunch of scripts and poo poo that'll automatically set up a bunch of emulators and can even apparently add the ROMs themselves to Steam so that they'll auto-launch the emulators. I dunno, someone who actually has a Deck can elaborate.

EmuDeck is sick. It requires that you follow some pretty straightforwrad instructions, and for the emulators that require firmware you'll have to scoot around the internet to find those yourself, but it really streamlines the process of emulating games on the Deck while also making it looks incredibly snazzy. It took me all of 10 minutes to go from 0 to roms on the deck, available in the steam library with box art, ready to play.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Those posts about New Vegas are troubling, as that's the first game I plan to install when I get my Deck.

I have zero interest in using this thing for emulation, since I'm a weirdo who cares about that stuff enough to already own a MiSTer, Gamecube, OG Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, and a Retrotink 5x. Besides, one of Jeff Gerstmann's streams showed how one of those installer scripts (maybe Emudeck?) crammed something into the Steam Deck UI that caused freezes in certain situations.

I'm just looking forward to having a surprisingly capable little PC game platform with a nice glossy screen (this is why I went for the 256 model) and lots of control options. It will be a good excuse to finally explore more of my Steam library. Elden Ring, the original Sam & Max, Yakuza, XCOM 2, No One Lives Forever, bring all that stuff on.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
XCOM 2 makes a GTX 1080 run red hot so maybe temper your expectations a little bit on that one

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

XCOM 2 also has a Switch port. That Switch port doesn't run super great but the game does scale down and play well handheld...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

an iksar marauder posted:

Samopsa will attest that I’m incredibly stupid with computers and I got emudeck + warpinator to transfer roms working in 10 minutes using one of the 100 video guides on YouTube

:hmmyes:

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I was able to install New Vegas without any issues, haven’t made it out of Goodsprings yet but it seems to run great on highest settings. Weird that others are having issues :iiam:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do people get cramps playing FPSes on this thing? I always get hand/thumb/wrist pain when playing games with a 3D camera on a handheld. The Deck seems better suited for those type of games, but it’s also heavier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Do people get cramps playing FPSes on this thing? I always get hand/thumb/wrist pain when playing games with a 3D camera on a handheld. The Deck seems better suited for those type of games, but it’s also heavier.

Na not at all. I was playing bl3 for like 3 hours last night with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Just relax